You are Here:
Bicycle Singles

Author (Read 2121 times)

Bicycle Singles
« on: March 23, 2012, 11:53:38 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
So after months of talking $#!T about people who collect single swap playing cards, I've come to the conclusion that the only way for me to secure all of the different Bicycle Designs would be to purchase single cards... I was trying to purchase sealed decks whenever possible... However after examining the availability of the decks and finances necessary for such a venture, it appears that the logical choice was to purchase singles...  I hooked up with someone and bought their doubles and I have to tell you it was probably one of the most exhilarating purchases that I've ever made... Should I see a doctor, because looking through this stack, my heart was racing... I still have about 20-30 more, and learned so much... I picked up a Sport Card display and here it is... 20 of my favorite Bicycle Playing cards introduced in the late 1800s to mid 1900s... I hope you enjoy them as much as I do...

Re: Bicycle Singles
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 04:38:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Yeah, that's a rockin' little collection you've got going there.  Singles can be the way to go with an expensive hobby such as this one, particularly when you're deep in vintage country.  Who plays poker with a hundred-year-old deck of cards, anyway?  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 04:11:41 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Those look awesome!! I think collecting singles is pretty cool for displaying the backs. Some of those classic backs are incredible works of art and by only having one card you can easily display it in a case. Such a great idea!!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 07:28:37 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Singles are ok for this purpose, But I HATE when Ebay is flooded with Swap cards of modern cheap decks, and the cards go for 1/2 the price of the deck, It is just retarded,
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 11:33:42 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Singles are ok for this purpose, But I HATE when Ebay is flooded with Swap cards of modern cheap decks, and the cards go for 1/2 the price of the deck, It is just retarded,

I hear you on that.  And those joker swaps?  Now I know where Chris Nolan got his supply for Heath Ledger!

Cool vintage Bikes, Tallys, Bees, Hoyles - stuff like that is worth buying.  Single swap of no-name butt-ugly bridge sets with sailboats, clown and pets?  For the love of the gods, WHY?

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 01:27:28 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
JMROCK

This is an amazing idea.  I've wanted to pick up some vintage decks, but the cost per deck makes it next to impossible.  And, finding the decks in a quality worth displaying is hard as well.

I've always been annoyed with the single swap sellers on Ebay, but I think I will now see them in a different light.

now... to start the hunt...  83 vintage backs designs to go..

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 03:28:57 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
That's really awesome! How much for those? And what cards are those? The AoS or something, or just a random card?

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 04:03:24 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
When I first got into vintage, I did dip into this singles for a short while. Most of these are just random cards, it's hard to stick to a specific card you enjoy, especially if it's AoS.

I stopped because, I realize that the price per card is actually much more than the deck itself. Some of those rarer designs, and brown or green cards, could get up to $20 per card. If it was, for example a brown Best Bower joker, I'm thinking it might break $100.

But @jmrock, you've got some sick design singles there! I'm sure you've got more than 20 right?

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 09:29:16 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I have about 40... Most are random cards... What I found very interesting, and I didn't know, is that there were differences between the backs depending on when they were printed... I'll post a few examples below... See if you can spot the differences:
1. Cupid Backs
2. Thistle Backs

Edit: P.S. I was thinking about possibly selling a few singles, but wouldn't want to break up any of my old decks unless I could at least recoup the $ I paid for them... I could put this post in the Sale section, but I was wondering if there would be a favorable response if I let the singles go... Would any of you want to purchase them?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:25:17 PM by jmrock »

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 10:01:45 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
For the last one, I believe you're actually looking at two different designs. Expert and Old Fan.

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 10:26:27 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Thanks xZerox... I removed it... So similar... I'm always learning something new... I just find the cards so fascinating... Do you see the differences between the others?

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 11:28:29 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
The differences in the cupid back is too obvious not to notice. Do you know the year of the production for each of the singles?
As for the thistle, there's one that's noticeable, while the others seem to be just enlargement/abridgement, or a different shade of colour.

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 01:19:56 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Yes, the Bicycles on the Cupid on one back are riding on grass, while on the other, there is a diamond pattern... With regard to the Thistle back, I've come to find out that these are the elves that used to be featured on the Consolidated Decks before merging with USPCC / Russell & Morgan... On one back the elves are sitting on a brick wall, and the other deck shows them sitting on a grass wall...  I'm not sure what exact years the changes took place, but I'll try and find out... With regard to the "0" responses to the singles question, I guess I won't be selling off any decks anytime soon...

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 01:41:32 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Not only that, the pattern at the corners of the Cupid back is completely different.
The NY Consolidated was merged into Consolidated Dougherty Co. in 1930. The Consolidated Dougherty Co. operated as a division of USPC in 1962. These may be the years you're looking for.

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 02:28:34 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Do you have any of the Nautic(#55) or Angel(#3) backs? Those two are probably my favorite designs under the Bicycle name.
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 04:02:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Yes, the Bicycles on the Cupid on one back are riding on grass, while on the other, there is a diamond pattern... With regard to the Thistle back, I've come to find out that these are the elves that used to be featured on the Consolidated Decks before merging with USPCC / Russell & Morgan... On one back the elves are sitting on a brick wall, and the other deck shows them sitting on a grass wall...  I'm not sure what exact years the changes took place, but I'll try and find out... With regard to the "0" responses to the singles question, I guess I won't be selling off any decks anytime soon...

Those cards are awesome!

If you wanted to test the waters and sell singles, consider selling them on eBay and providing links to the sales here.  I'd definitely create separate auctions for the AoS and jokers, while the individual cards could be offered as "buy it now" - maybe the court cards offered separately and the spot cards lumped together.  Take a deck you would've sold anyway and give it a try.  You'll probably be surprised at the result - I firmly believe that the whole would be less than the sum of the parts, especially if you offered it on eBay with its wider potential buyer pool.

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 08:14:17 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I have a Nautic Back Deck... No Jokers... I waited a very long time for it... It would be hard to sell that one off one by one... However, I have an original safety back that I might consider selling card by card...