Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Congratulations Paul, I am delighted that you have limited this lovely deck to 1000 as I really believe that a known limited number makes it much more desirable to collectors.  Obviously you will continue to sell out your decks as fast as you can design them and I can't imagine anyone more deserving.

See you in Charleston...

Judy

Aw Judy, you're making me blush.  ;D Thanks and I'm looking forward to Charleston! I better design some decks soon so that I have something to show off...
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

Re: Anti-KS : Encarded Zenith
« Reply #201 on: April 28, 2014, 11:09:30 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Zenith is being sorted and arranged. Hope to start moving these out to folks real soon. They look quite lovely in large piles...

I'll take the one on the left please!  :)
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #202 on: April 29, 2014, 09:24:11 AM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
My goodness those tucks...these cards...everything is breathtaking.  Here is the dilemma, I know the members of this board have differing opinions I would love to hear them.  I was fortunate enough to land 4 in the forum pre-order.  I want to reserve 1 for trade so maybe I can get a white whale crossed off my list somewhere down the road, I want to save one never to be opened as a star of my collection, likely the lowest numbered deck I receive.  So that leaves 2 decks...how does everyone feel about opening one. 

Usually it would be a no-brainer (at least for me), if you have an extra then play...but these seem special. What are your plans for your decks?
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #203 on: April 29, 2014, 09:35:33 AM »

Afrank8

• True Member
I open all of mine cause I want to create a sort of uncut sheet of one card from 56 different decks but I know some people just keep them sealed for resale.

« Reply #204 on: April 29, 2014, 09:40:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
My goodness those tucks...these cards...everything is breathtaking.  Here is the dilemma, I know the members of this board have differing opinions I would love to hear them.  I was fortunate enough to land 4 in the forum pre-order.  I want to reserve 1 for trade so maybe I can get a white whale crossed off my list somewhere down the road, I want to save one never to be opened as a star of my collection, likely the lowest numbered deck I receive.  So that leaves 2 decks...how does everyone feel about opening one. 

Usually it would be a no-brainer (at least for me), if you have an extra then play...but these seem special. What are your plans for your decks?

I tend to open one of every deck I buy, even the rare ones, even the ones that I only have one of.  I'm the kind of person who wants to take pleasure from his cards not simply by looking at the box.  To me, that's like buying a rare masterpiece sculpture, getting it home and leaving it on display IN THE WOODEN CRATE it shipped in...  But that's how I deal...  :))

There's a rare few I haven't opened.  I tend not to open sealed vintage decks (which I only own a few of in the first place), and I haven't opened the light blue Maeda Tally Ho deck I got.  I'm pretty sure I've opened the rest.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:40:33 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #205 on: April 29, 2014, 09:42:55 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Personally, I don't collect for the future, I collect to enjoy the artistry of the cards. I say open at least one, otherwise you miss out on the package as a whole. The only decks Ihaven't opened are a Jerry's Nugget and the extras I've been lucky enough to be given by friends.
Paul Carpenter

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #206 on: April 29, 2014, 11:38:39 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
I also almost always open one. With vintage/antique we usually find a way of extracting the deck for a look without any serious damage to the wrapper, box or seal. Like to see and feel - not just hoard.
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #207 on: April 29, 2014, 11:44:18 AM »

tyl3r

So far I haven't really opened any of my decks but I want to, because I want to enjoy them and view the wonderful art on all of the cards. I know I will most likely never resell them, so I'm more of a collector I think.

Question though: When you guys open your decks, what are your techniques for how you break the seal? I want to open all of my decks, but want to be able to close them back up while looking almost perfect as well. Minus the cellophane of course, unless that is easy to open without any issues.

I open all of mine cause I want to create a sort of uncut sheet of one card from 56 different decks but I know some people just keep them sealed for resale.
Also, I am really digging this idea. I was thinking of doing something similar myself.

« Reply #208 on: April 29, 2014, 12:20:45 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I open everyone. I mean the tuck can look nice but there are 56 pieces of art in there I am not seeing. I keep them nice when I open them but I dont see a reason to keep them sealed other then re-sale.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #209 on: April 29, 2014, 04:01:26 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
Question though: When you guys open your decks, what are your techniques for how you break the seal? I want to open all of my decks, but want to be able to close them back up while looking almost perfect as well. Minus the cellophane of course, unless that is easy to open without any issues.

I usually don't open decks,  but when I do,  if there is a seal,  I don't open it by tearing the seal in half.  Instead,  I try to peel off the part of the seal that is adhering to the tuck and then stick it on the flap.  Most of the time the seal is pretty easy to peel off,  but if necessary,  I use a sharp blade to separate it from the tuck.  You'd have to really be careful not to damage the tuck,  though. 

« Reply #210 on: April 29, 2014, 04:25:40 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Often best way is to slit the bottom flap with an Exacto blade where it meets the side panel [depends on how the box is constructed]
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #211 on: April 29, 2014, 05:22:19 PM »

Expert P.C. Co.

• The Expert Playing Card Company
Often best way is to slit the bottom flap with an Exacto blade where it meets the side panel [depends on how the box is constructed]

Here is a little secret applicable to the Zenith deck. If you remove the cello first, the bottom flap of the tuck is only inserted, not glued, so it could be carefully opened and then closed again. These Zenith cards are too good to be kept in the box.

« Reply #212 on: April 29, 2014, 05:41:21 PM »

CordedTires

• Forum Regular
I always open mine -  except for a few decks where I've ended up with more than one, or a color variant. Gosh darn it, I like to look at the cards and play with them.

With these I bought one (lucky enough to catch the first 100). Then I slept on it, happened to be nonlinear (Can you believe this autocorrect????) online when they were generally available, and bought another one.

So one will be opened, and one saved unopened for trade or sale.  Something new for me.

« Reply #213 on: April 30, 2014, 03:55:33 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
As ExpertPCC said, one of the wonderful things about Zenith and its sideways tuck is that once you take the cello off, you just need to make one perfectly straight cut across the seal. The box will be able to be opened, and when you close the flap it will perfectly align with the other half of the seal and look almost untampered with. It's a small thing, but quite nice.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #214 on: April 30, 2014, 04:43:42 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
As ExpertPCC said, one of the wonderful things about Zenith and its sideways tuck is that once you take the cello off, you just need to make one perfectly straight cut across the seal. The box will be able to be opened, and when you close the flap it will perfectly align with the other half of the seal and look almost untampered with. It's a small thing, but quite nice.

Or you can do like most normal humans and just plain OPEN the blasted things and play with them!  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #215 on: April 30, 2014, 04:47:09 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
exactly! cards are no good always sealed up, but if you can play with them and barely tell you even opened them, it's the best of everything!
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #216 on: April 30, 2014, 09:28:03 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Paul,

When are the Zenith decks shipping? I can't wait to see them!

Thanks,
James
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #217 on: May 01, 2014, 09:12:11 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
Paul,

When are the Zenith decks shipping? I can't wait to see them!

Thanks,
James

I just received a shipping confirmation!!! :D

« Reply #218 on: May 01, 2014, 09:39:20 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I'll be working on it for a few days more. I was trying to get out the forum special folks and some of my VIPs first, but am going as fast as I can! Also, all Zenith decks are going to ship in cardboard boxes (no bubble mailers) so unless the postal services run them over with a truck they will get to everyone in perfect condition.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #219 on: May 01, 2014, 10:07:24 AM »

tyl3r

Just got my shipping confirmation as well! Thanks Paul, look forward to receiving them soon!

« Reply #220 on: May 05, 2014, 02:56:30 PM »

Aptombstone

• True Member
Just got my cards and they look amazing!
Would take a pic but I don't have a don't have a great camera.

Problem is even though I usually open at least 1 of each deck I have, I don't have the heart to open these so I'm hoping someone else can tell me how they handle.

« Reply #221 on: May 05, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
Low numbers indeed, wow Paul.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 03:03:04 PM by HandSkillz »
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #222 on: May 05, 2014, 03:21:44 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
 :D

Glad you like 'em. You must have been one of the really early ones. Nobody is going to get decks in exact order, as they came to me all mixed up and I just generally sorted them, but the "forum special" folks should be in the low hundreds or less, as far as serial numbers go. Of course, with only 1000 everyone will have a number in the triple-digits or lower, except for one guy who got 1000/1000. Heh.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #223 on: May 05, 2014, 03:24:37 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Paul.... Quit wasting time on the forums... There is another deck out there, I am sure,  that needs to be produced and designed by you. No rest for the wickedly famous  >:( :bosswalk:

« Reply #224 on: May 05, 2014, 04:17:05 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Not going to be opening these, just enjoying the tucks, having them in my hands, and checking out other folks pics! mine are going straight into my collection.

And BTW, badpete is right. I'll get paid on Friday, so the money supply will be refilled by then. This means that I expect a new release from you by Friday at 5PM at the latest!! ;-D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 04:18:48 PM by BiggerDee »