• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 01:47:30 PM by badpete69 »

Re: Eira Ice Deck - (KS)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 02:22:07 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Interesting...very different. I like them. Not love, but like. Enough to be in.

Just checked the page and saw the delivery date. August...the hottest part of summer! Ironic!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 02:24:01 PM by BiggerDee »

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 03:53:09 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
I like it.  I will star it for now. Im trying to limit my pledges to only those decks that are an absolute must-have.

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 04:02:31 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Points for originality in the theme. Nice to see something different for a change. The court figure faces are really reminding me of some other custom deck from recent times though, particularly the queen of diamonds, I just can't put my finger on it...
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 04:19:47 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
Points for originality in the theme. Nice to see something different for a change. The court figure faces are really reminding me of some other custom deck from recent times though, particularly the queen of diamonds, I just can't put my finger on it...

V1 Legends court cards?

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 05:12:43 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Looks a little like Rick's Queen of Clubs from the Origin deck to me, but non the less, I agree with Paul...A+ for originality. I thinks its very appealing and I like the pip scheme with the "Snowflake". I backed for a couple.

Good Luck!!

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 07:42:51 PM »

vmagic

It may just be me, but personally I think it would look better if the snowflakes were more in the background.

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 10:18:15 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I think its something new, but there is just something about this deck that makes it an okay deck and not a great deck. Just can't seem to describe why. The courts and back doesn't feel like ice, more like liquid metal.  :-\

It may just be me, but personally I think it would look better if the snowflakes were more in the background.

Also, likewise i like the "snowflake" pips for the number cards, but the faded standard pips in the background seems a little too out of place. Especially for "3", "5", "7", the pips seems too spaced out and oddly placed. I would rather he just forgo the standard pips in the background. Either that or as said above, move the snowflakes to the background instead.

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 10:29:45 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
I agree with the "like it but don't love it" sentiment. Still in for an early bird though.

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 01:09:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The snowflakes - ice crystals - were the point of the deck.  It's why he wanted them front and center rather than pushed into the background.

What I'm loving about this deck is the 3D effect of the card backs - this really has a depth you don't find in almost any other deck back.  At first the spot cards might seem a little odd with those crystals on them, but it really grows on you - it's different, not the same old stuff, and it fits the theme.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 02:15:56 AM »

KineticPlayingCards

• Newcomer
Hello folks,

This is Zaid, the designer of the Eira Ice deck.

I actually did consider putting the spot card snowflakes in the background behind the pips, and that was fine for the low value cards, but for the higher value cards, the pips obscured the snowflakes too much. The whole point of the deck is to showcase the snowflakes on the spot cards. I also considered doing without the pips altogether, but I thought that having the face pips would make the deck more functional in gameplay.

Regarding the arrangement of the pips themselves, I played around with a bunch of different ideas, including arranging the pips concentrically around the arms of the snowflake, but that made the pips too small and too busy for the high value cards. I wanted a regular arrangement of pips so that when you flip from one card to the next in order, you see only a small movement. Ultimately, I had to compromise and ended up with what's on the cards now.

When the project reaches 300 backers or so, I'd like to do a survey and let backers vote on whether to have the face pips or not.

Zaid

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 12:42:37 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Welcome! You've done a very good job both with the concept and the art on this deck!

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 01:30:57 PM »

KineticPlayingCards

• Newcomer
Welcome! You've done a very good job both with the concept and the art on this deck!

Thank you! Now to keep drawing those backers in....  :D

Zaid

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 06:56:13 PM »

KineticPlayingCards

• Newcomer
I've posted a video the project page, so check it out when you get a chance.

Zaid

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 01:46:33 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 01:47:54 PM by badpete69 »

Re: Eira Ice Deck - (KS) Relaunch now live
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 08:43:56 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
It's so good to see a deck where each and every card is customized and I like snowflakes too! Thanks for joining us Zaid.

Re: Eira Ice Deck - (KS) Relaunch now live
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 11:33:55 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Glad to see Zaid didn't give up on this project, I still like the design and concept very much. Good Luck!

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 12:35:02 PM »

_Daniel_

The snowflakes - ice crystals - were the point of the deck.  It's why he wanted them front and center rather than pushed into the background.

What I'm loving about this deck is the 3D effect of the card backs - this really has a depth you don't find in almost any other deck back.  At first the spot cards might seem a little odd with those crystals on them, but it really grows on you - it's different, not the same old stuff, and it fits the theme.

You may have just changed my mind about backing, need to think about it a bit more I think but I agree with everything you said.