Re: 3 New D&D Releases
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2012, 10:37:05 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Um, every single face is standard except for the jokers and two extra cards... :-\
Not exactly true. The cards are actually off-white and the court cards are recolored and I like the colors that they used.

« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2012, 01:33:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Xmetal, I don't think it's necessarily a "lazy" thing. Sure, if you or me designed the same deck, people would likely overlook it, but it doesn't mean a simple design doesn't have a place in the market. It's not just a lazy design, it's a design that because of its simple nature needs a big company behind it to be successful. They are, in a way, the only ones who can make such a design possible, as you and I couldn't print it even if we really wanted to.
(I'm not saying they're not doing it for money. But the deck is still a very nice one that is, in my opinion, worth printing regardless.)

Now, nobody ever says anything about official USPCC decks, yet in terms of originality they could be considered worse than even Merz decks... How many decks have they released that were PURELY recolorations in every single aspect? ::)

Most of the color variants weren't actually USPC's work, but were instead contracted jobs from other companies.  BMPokerWorld commissioned the brown Rider Back deck, maroon/burgundy and yellow were commissioned by the Bond Agency, and green, orange, gold, silver, turquoise and fuschia were made for Vincenzo DiFatta (who also made the rainbow Rider Back).

USPC only made red, blue and black, with black being the more scarce and also the only color of their own choosing not yet released in a printing from Erlanger or a "Standard" box - they're still selling Cincinnati-made decks only.

You can call it a lack of originality, but remember these decks were so early in the custom deck craze, just color variants were considered pretty out-there.  Think of it like this: a rockabilly song written today doesn't sound terribly original, since the format's been around a number of decades, but if it was the early 1950s, it would be truly original.  The Ramones were considered great because of the utter simplicity of their music, which was unique for its time - any band trying to replicate that today without being called dated Ramones clones would fail miserably.

Man's gotta walk before he can run, crawl before he can walk.  Sentinels and Infinity wouldn't have been possible without decks like those leading the way in the beginning.  The earliest Ellusionist decks were straight-up variations of the basic Rider Back, a trend that continued up to Arcane, which is only what, a little more than a year old?  Now, I don't think they'd ever go back to Rider variants - been there, done that, bought the brick box.  But before Arcane, Infinity, Artifice and LTD could come to be, those Rider Back-based models had to come before.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2012, 02:53:17 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Is there anything you don't know? ::) There's always something to learn in every post you make... Nice to have you here.

Anyway. I don't doubt the quality of rider backs, and sure the first Ellusionist decks were innovative for their time. Did they come up with the whole black deck thing? (In recent times that is. I remember seeing a couple VERY old black decks, likely pre-USPC.)
Looking back on my post, I should specify that I wasn't trying to make a point out of the USPC thing, just throwing that out there.

What I was saying about D&D still stands. Their deck is hardly a very original(though that could be argued) or elaborate one, but I still think it has its place and deserves to be printed. People have been talking about it and wanting to get it even before they knew it was D&D's product. It appeals to people, and that's all we really need in a custom deck.

And I'm not saying this to defend the Bucks. I know what it's like, too, being in the design process myself. If I wanted, I could take standard USPC faces, make them purple and gold, and call my deck done. There's two reasons why I don't. The first is that it wouldn't have the same amount of success, obviously. But the second reason is that I don't WANT to. I want to release something I'll be proud of. I'm not in it for the money, or even the fame, I just want my own cards printed and I want them to be great. ;)
I think I'm gonna have nightmares about court cards when I'm done.
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2012, 03:09:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Is there anything you don't know? ::) There's always something to learn in every post you make... Nice to have you here.

Anyway. I don't doubt the quality of rider backs, and sure the first Ellusionist decks were innovative for their time. Did they come up with the whole black deck thing? (In recent times that is. I remember seeing a couple VERY old black decks, likely pre-USPC.)
Looking back on my post, I should specify that I wasn't trying to make a point out of the USPC thing, just throwing that out there.

What I was saying about D&D still stands. Their deck is hardly a very original(though that could be argued) or elaborate one, but I still think it has its place and deserves to be printed. People have been talking about it and wanting to get it even before they knew it was D&D's product. It appeals to people, and that's all we really need in a custom deck.

And I'm not saying this to defend the Bucks. I know what it's like, too, being in the design process myself. If I wanted, I could take standard USPC faces, make them purple and gold, and call my deck done. There's two reasons why I don't. The first is that it wouldn't have the same amount of success, obviously. But the second reason is that I don't WANT to. I want to release something I'll be proud of. I'm not in it for the money, or even the fame, I just want my own cards printed and I want them to be great. ;)
I think I'm gonna have nightmares about court cards when I'm done.

Well, now you're makin' me blush...   ;D

I get my information from the same place you guys do - the interwebs!  Check out the Playing Card Wiki sometime - it's where I got the skinny on the colored Bikes.

Making a deck based on classic design elements is also known as "playing it safe".  Using the familiar, tweaking it just right and calling it a classic design does take some skill, but it's made of elements already known to the buyer, meant to evoke a certain feeling of nostalgia, of wistfulness for a time gone by.

It's easy to lean on what came before you, harder to do it with style, and much harder to blaze your own trail with no guarantee of success.  Yours is a new deck, yes, but even you are borrowing from the past by basing your deck on the familiar trappings of Lewis Carroll's "Alice" book duology.  Something like a Sentinels or an Infinity or an Artifice is taking even more risk, but again, there's familiar elements to them all.  Sentinels tap into the symbology of a few world cultures, Artifice invokes old poker backrooms and illegal/crooked gambling, and Infinity...well, that's a whole 'nother ball game!

Just putting that out there as food for thought.  Eat up, plenty more where that came from.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/