what is up with all the punks?!?!

Author (Read 728 times)

what is up with all the punks?!?!
« on: May 04, 2013, 01:59:39 PM »

xx789m

• Forum Regular
  • I am a proud Jesus Freak

• Facebook:
I don't get it! All these different steampunks!!!!!!!!!! They don't even look like steampunks anymore!!!!! Now for some reason we've got Urban punk decks. And after that came Cyberpunk!! So wtfork is up?!?!? did i miss somethin?
Exodus 14:14 The Lord, your god, will fight for you; you need only to be still

Re: what is up with all the punks?!?!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 03:32:49 PM »

The Quadfather

• Elite Member
I don't know about urban punk, but Steampunk I love, and the cyberpunk from albino dragon look awesome! Can't wait to receive mine!

Does the 'punk' name originate from somewhere in particular?
My mom always said I'd be great at something. Who'd have thought that something would be zombie killin'.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 03:45:49 PM »

xx789m

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Thats what I want to know! I dont get it. All these punks. What's next? Ship punk?............That might work..........hmmm

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 03:57:03 PM »

xx789m

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/819518343/new-release-urban-punk-bicycle-playing-cards?ref=search

See. Urban punk! which includes a bonus deck as 1 of the rewards titled the Retro punk -.-
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 04:13:00 PM by xx789m »

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 04:15:32 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
You know Steampunk has a whole culture surrounding it right? It's really awesome. I don't think there are more Steampunk decks than there are skull & bones though, for example.

To date, I still think only Lance pulled off a Steampunk deck. T11's was a mockery of the art.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 04:27:04 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/819518343/new-release-urban-punk-bicycle-playing-cards?ref=search

See. Urban punk

Bro - stop double posting.

Punk originated in the mid-late 1970s as an underground music movement with certain social aspects to it as well.  The "punk" in cyberpunk and steampunk refers to how the technology of the time period in question gets twisted and adapted to different uses once it hits "street level", with often unpredicted consequences.  Cyberpunk and steampunk both started as literary movements - cyberpunk originated in the early 1980s and covered a usually-dystopic future set somewhere in the 21st century or shortly thereafter, while steampunk began around the turn of the millenium and covered the periods of the Old West in America and the Victorian Era in Great Britain, again dystopic, and in some cases positing alternate histories, such as the development of the Babbage Difference Engine into a fully-functional, steam-driven computer, resulting in the invention of the Internet about a century earlier than in real life.

Urban punk is a fashion statement more than anything else - it's just punk in the present age.  You could argue that the art is Banksy-influenced, but that's like saying someone who works with oil paint is Picasso-influenced because he also used oil paint.  But whether I like it is immaterial, since enough people were interested that the KS project succeeded.

You know Steampunk has a whole culture surrounding it right? It's really awesome. I don't think there are more Steampunk decks than there are skull & bones though, for example.

To date, I still think only Lance pulled off a Steampunk deck. T11's was a mockery of the art.

Meanwhile, some "purist" steampunks would argue that Lance's deck series was really more "gearpunk" than steampunk...  And let's not forget dieselpunk, cryptopunk, protopunk, post-punk, Chicken-McNuggetspunk, WalMartPunk...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 04:30:28 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/