You are Here:
Where to go?

Author (Read 2863 times)

Where to go?
« on: May 10, 2012, 03:32:36 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Hey,
So as you may know I am a beginner flourisher. I know all the basics (pressure fan, thumb fan, reverse fan, spring, faro, giant fan, spread, lepaul spread, charlier, thumb cut, one-handed fan...) I own Genesis v1 by Andrei Jikh, and know the sybil cut, the WERM, and some relatively easy flourishes I learned on youtube. Now I'm wondering where I should go. Which flourishes should I learn. I know that many people will recommend me "The System", "Papercuts","The Trilogy", "The Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes" and "Genesis v2", but which specific flourishes do you think I should continue with and in which order. Also, if you have any youtube flourishes or flourish teachers' channels (i.e. Tobias Levin), plz tell me about them. To be a bit clearer, I would like to be recommended an order to learn flourishes and DVDs in, i.e.:
1) Genesis v1 by Andrei Jikh
2) Papercuts by Chris Hestnes
3) Tobias Levin cut called "bla bla bla".
And if you think there are certain cuts in certain dvds which I should learn before others, please advise me.
Thx,
Nathan
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:12:53 PM by NathanCanadas »

Re: Where to go?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 09:02:10 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Showoff with cards. :P heheheh Oldie but a goodie ^-^

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 07:38:06 AM »

saurabh

• True Member
  • I love heavy metal music.

• Twitter:
Also, if you have any youtube flourishes or flourish teachers' channels (i.e. Tobias Levin), plz tell me about them.
Okay, Tobias Levin is at www.youtube.com/wwwtobiaslevincom

And Miquel Roman has a full free DVD up on YouTube. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj9eQaR4IgQ)
Just follow the annotations for a full DVD like experience. He has a few really neat variations on Sybil that are easy to learn and look great.

Apart from that, another of my favorites on YouTube is 'The Stag' by Jason Soll. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGCKSULBeDY)
Its another one of the less complex flourishes that looks awesome and allows you to retain the top stock.

If you're interested in buying a DVD, I would recommend Solo by MJ at T11 and Dangerous (Motion) by Daniel Madison. But be warned, they might not be the easiest DVDs to master. Solo is more original in comparison IMO. I think you would have seen the trailer for Solo, but here's an uncut performance of the entire DVD by MJ himself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaORbkSli-o

Feel free to snoop around YouTube as well. If you find a move you like, learn it.
PileSpiral on YouTube has a few intriguing tutorials as well. (http://www.youtube.com/user/PileSpiral
JoeyFX has a few (but cool and easy) cuts on his channel. (http://www.youtube.com/Denkste144)

EDIT: How could it slip my mind! :-[ Get the 'Trilogy', seriously, you can't go wrong with that one. Most of the flourishers have learnt from it. 

But I haven't really spent much money on flourishing in general apart from the cards I use. There's a lot of material on sites like Kardistry and the Tutorial Section of UC. There's more than one can handle as a matter of fact.
I don't own 'The System' or 'Papercuts' etc. Although they do have several positive reviews, I can't comment.

Two more cool sites are miquelroman.com and thecuso.info, Miquel's site seems down for now. TheCuso hasn't really been updated for some time now, but the amount of material on that site is H-U-G-E. (http://www.thecuso.info/category/Tutorials)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:27:04 AM by saurabh »
Mentalist, Sleight of Hand Artist, Amateur Flourisher.
http://www.brahmaplayingcards.com

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 01:43:05 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Thx a lot for your answer. So it seems like there's a lot of stuff for me to go through. :D

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 11:17:10 PM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
i personally think stag by jason soll is a pretty difficult move i would recommended you to start with pilespiral .. he has alot tutorial on youtube but in all the video he does not speak and there is also no music .. so it will be good if you play your own music and learn the move like i do .. also i would recommended you sort of master all the move on genesis v1 and then go to system by dan and dave .. it would be best if you master you giant fan and all other move but proceeding ..
You might have learn almost all of the move on genesis v1 but some of them are really difficult and would look much better when done with speed .. like bullet which is very easy but done with speed it look amazing .. and also the one concept .. there are alot cool moves on the genesis v1 dvd ..
o ya i would also recommend you to buy xtreme beginner by de'vo .. the fanning workshop by jerry is amazing

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 07:14:01 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I have edited my first post for the sake of clarity. I have improved in flourishing, but please re-read it and advise me. Thx a lot!

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 09:18:04 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I have a question. From where I am, I have just learned the first 2 flourishes of The System and the first flourish of Papercuts. Which of these two DVDs do you think I should focus on? Which one is easier in your opinion? Thx.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 05:30:14 AM »

MSimonart

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I don't really think there is any difference in how much time you've already been flourishing. Hard flourishes will take longer to learn if you haven't much experience yet, but they are a good way too learn flourishing. In the flourishes I've been learning, I think I've only learned some easy ones: the molecule cut and the variations, the sybil cut and so. These aren't really 'hard' flourishes I think, cause It didn't take me an awfull long time to be able to do them properly. I don't know what you guys think of these flourishes? For me, every flourish I've learned so far (5-6) are all the same qua difficulty. The hardest one I've met so far is the one handed shuffle. Still have to work quite a bit on that one, but with pretty small hands, it's not an easy one. The only advice I can give to people, is to practice with very bad decks. Decks that don't cut well, or that are very slippery. It will take lets say a half hour more to be able to do it verry well, but once you do it with a better deck, you will be surprised by how good you are.

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 08:20:07 AM »

Assassino13

• YouTube:
Try VegetableHero's Limbo cut. Then he has a whole dvd on youtube for free!

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 12:27:41 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Try VegetableHero's Limbo cut. Then he has a whole dvd on youtube for free!
I just looked. That's awesome! Thanks a lot! Does anyone else have any advice for me?

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 07:16:05 PM »

cards95

What does the collector's box set come with on The Trilogy?

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 09:07:47 AM »

Josh Simpson

• Newcomer
In terms of flourishing I would advise sifting through the old decknique forums.  We posted up loads of stuff there ranging from beginner to advanced so there is always something there to work on.  I would also suggest checking out the cheaters cheater forum where, although we didn't post up many 'tutorials' per-sey, we did post up lots of advice for beginners and those looking to kick it up a notch :)
Josh

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 04:54:13 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Thx for the advice, I will definitely go and take a look.

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 02:40:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I don't really think there is any difference in how much time you've already been flourishing. Hard flourishes will take longer to learn if you haven't much experience yet, but they are a good way too learn flourishing. In the flourishes I've been learning, I think I've only learned some easy ones: the molecule cut and the variations, the sybil cut and so. These aren't really 'hard' flourishes I think, cause It didn't take me an awfull long time to be able to do them properly. I don't know what you guys think of these flourishes? For me, every flourish I've learned so far (5-6) are all the same qua difficulty. The hardest one I've met so far is the one handed shuffle. Still have to work quite a bit on that one, but with pretty small hands, it's not an easy one. The only advice I can give to people, is to practice with very bad decks. Decks that don't cut well, or that are very slippery. It will take lets say a half hour more to be able to do it verry well, but once you do it with a better deck, you will be surprised by how good you are.

If you're having trouble due to small hands, try a smaller deck - bridge-sized.  Bikes and Bees are still out there in bridge size; not sure if they ever made Tally Ho in that size or not, probably only vintage decks.  Just stay away from the gilded ones - that metallic paint gets everywhere and really screws up weaves.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 01:25:01 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I have never heard of bridge-sized tallies, or bees either for that matter. I own a couple sets of bridge bikes, they are available in most Walgreens right now. Do you know a reliable site that sells some for cheap (other than kardwell)?

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 11:17:08 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I have never heard of bridge-sized tallies, or bees either for that matter. I own a couple sets of bridge bikes, they are available in most Walgreens right now. Do you know a reliable site that sells some for cheap (other than kardwell)?

As I said, I don't know if they made Tally Ho in bridge size, but if they did, it would likely be a vintage deck.

I own some bridge size Bee decks in red and blue.  They're not currently in production, so finding them is as much art as science.  I lucked out and found a shop selling them at face value, and I may return to empty the inventory.  There didn't appear to be much left, anyway, but who knows what's hiding in the back room...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 06:37:06 AM »

redtank151

• True Member
  • Something Funny here

• YouTube:
Actually small hands never really gets in the way of flourishing, like in Piff the Magic Dragon's trip to Magic-con you see these children executing pretty impressive moves. So I think its just a matter of stretching and finding suitable finger positions to execute the more complicated flourishes.
Something even more funny here