You are Here:
Gatorback Riders from David Blaine

Author (Read 106494 times)

Re: Gatorback Riders - Coming soon from David Blaine
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2014, 12:41:23 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
I don't know, but  I'm going to say.. Not nearly as cool as it would being Bono. The level of awesomeness required to  wear not only a sun hat, but a pair of   sunglasses in the middle of the night, and still have people (by choice) stand next to has to be off the charts.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 12:43:32 AM by DarkDerp »
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2014, 01:52:32 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
David Blaine @davidblaine     ·   Aug 15   

Have new Gatorbacks. If ur in penn station near amtrak between news and police, grab an unreleased deck now

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2014, 10:08:42 AM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
 :mindf-ck:

Still playing with us....

Form Follows Function

« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2014, 10:35:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Well, we know they're real, they're printed - and that probably means they're releasing soon.

Remember that David often likes to use a deck design exclusively for a while before he puts them on sale.  I'd say before year's end, but when before, anyone's guess is as good as mine.  Yeah, they said what, August?  We'll see.

(Who wants to release a deck this close to Labor Day weekend?  People are taking vacations!)
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2014, 11:14:41 AM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Well, we know they're real, they're printed - and that probably means they're releasing soon.

Remember that David often likes to use a deck design exclusively for a while before he puts them on sale.  I'd say before year's end, but when before, anyone's guess is as good as mine.  Yeah, they said what, August?  We'll see.

(Who wants to release a deck this close to Labor Day weekend?  People are taking vacations!)
Jackson Robinson and Brain Vessel, for starters.

« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2014, 01:41:07 PM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
 ???

David has been teasing this deck for too long.

And now he is giving away stuff and making all the international fans jealous as hell.

Form Follows Function

« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2014, 06:25:51 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Finally, the time has come :)
Sept 1st (no specific time yet)

Taken from db's Instagram page - thank you social media
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2014, 06:51:08 PM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
 :mindf-ck:

Oh god YES!!!!!
YES YES YES!!!!

Im ordering a lot of those... i hope the price stays the same...
Form Follows Function

« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2014, 09:16:25 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I'm excited about these too. September is going to be another expensive month for me lol.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2014, 12:12:49 AM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Finally, the time has come :)
Sept 1st (no specific time yet)

Taken from db's Instagram page - thank you social media

Those looks awesome!
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards
Wild West Decks - Coming Soon to Kickstarter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl
Kickstarter: Wild West Coming Soon 2016

« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2014, 09:57:30 AM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
I'll probably wait until christmas time - guessing there will be some sort of deal/discount.  Very nice though!
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2014, 02:14:13 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

David Blaine

Liked · 2 hrs

Metallic green Gatorbacks on sale sept 1 at noon. First 24 hours 5$ per deck, min orders 12 decks

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2014, 10:11:53 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
$5 per deck is a GREAT deal... if you live in the states.

On the other hand, those of us who are international customers would still end up spending a lot...because the international shipping that DB's store charges, it'd tear us a new one.

I remember it being something like $52 shipping just for purchasing a carbon fiber clip (despite the package being no bigger than the size of a deck, and weighing as much as 13 playing cards!).
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2014, 12:08:56 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I remember mentioning that I wish these would come in colors that were not traditionally used with DB's Split Spades (green & sepia). (I know there were black SS.) I think DB is doing exactly that. The brown/black (sepia) could be released a month from now? If black, then maybe a black Friday release. You have to wonder then about when black lions would be released?

Look closely at the Tony Chang video. Those are not just green! :))
http://instagram.com/p/rf5UfYjPSj/

David Blaine

Liked · 2 hrs

Metallic green Gatorbacks on sale sept 1 at noon. First 24 hours 5$ per deck, min orders 12 decks

Referencing the image above, I believe the green tuck to the green cards is the tuck on the left with part of its corner showing. The tuck to the right is for the black/brown gator-backs. The green tuck should be the one with a green foil gator as shown in the Tony Chang video.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:21:24 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2014, 06:08:17 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
So what are we looking at here?  I like the Joker.  It's fine, but what is the other "J"  It can't be the Jack.  No suit index and it has a smaller font than the courts.  It must be the 2nd Joker.  That's great.  I like it already.  You need a Major and Minor Joker.  Which one is Major; who knows?  The back of card is fine.  It's a glorify mirrored spade.  Don't see anything gatory about it.  Which to me is a disappointment.  The box has a alligator on it.  Whoot!   

What is the card next to the back on the right.  Must be a gaff card.  How exciting.   
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 06:12:01 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2014, 12:07:41 PM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
They are out!!! just bought some of them.

FYI

You can only buy bricks of the deck.
Its a 24 hour only deal
Its going to be MORE EXPENSIVE.

ITS ONLY THE METALLIC GREEN ONE.  :-[

So either he launches the Black ones on another date or he will just won't release it....

Good luck!
Form Follows Function

« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2014, 01:23:54 PM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
aw man, I was going to buy a brick for that price but the postage to the UK is roughly the same cost as the cards so i'm out. I'll grab a couple off ebay later.:-(
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2014, 01:30:22 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
I purchased a brick but had it sent to my shipito account. In the long run, works out much cheaper. It'll be half of what DB site is charging for international postage
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2014, 03:13:20 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
You guys are really slacking about posting LINKS when these things go on sale...  :))

http://shop.davidblaine.com/collections/frontpage/products/metallic-green-gatorbacks

EDIT: bought one brick.  I don't usually buy anything by the brick.  I would have liked a redesigned set of faces, but I'm sure I'll be happy.

BTW: are these USPC or EPCC?  I think they're EPCC.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 03:16:18 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2014, 03:37:23 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Don, the product description page on Blaine's site confirms that it's a USPCC deck.

Appears to be different card stock also.
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2014, 03:38:08 PM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
Maybe they are EPCC??

btw Can you tell me if the White Lions (first edition) were printed somewhere else? or If the stock was any different? I keep getting messages that tell me that, the White Lions 1st edition were the best Blaine deck (quality and stock wise) ever, UNTIL The gator backs... which people are implying are even better than those ones...  ;D
Form Follows Function

« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2014, 04:34:24 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Maybe they are EPCC??

btw Can you tell me if the White Lions (first edition) were printed somewhere else? or If the stock was any different? I keep getting messages that tell me that, the White Lions 1st edition were the best Blaine deck (quality and stock wise) ever, UNTIL The gator backs... which people are implying are even better than those ones...  ;D

All of Blaine's prior decks are from USPC.  White Lions came in a "Series A", a "Series B", "Black Label" and "Stealth Cards" (gaffs).  It's the Split Spades Lions that have "1st Edition" printed on the box - and no subsequent edition was ever made.  I think they were released in '09 (the year is printed on the box above the title) except for the metallic "Silver Split Spades" of last year (BTW, that was his first deck to use any metallic colors).  Additionally, there were a smattering of gaff cards released (I'm sure just a fraction of the ones that were made for Blaine himself) as well as three gaffed decks manufactured as "Bicycle Split Spades" in both prototype and production editions, each with different boxes.

Split Spades Lions were very popular for the handling and stock, as were the White Lions - but the White Lions stock was a bit heavier/thicker, if I remember correctly.  Some people loved this, some preferred the SSL stock better.

I'm reasonably sure that these Gatorbacks are EPCC-made, which is why there's such a hubbub about them.  If they were USPC, I doubt he'd have sold any respectable amount for $5/pack by the brick - the profit margin would be pretty narrow.  EPCC has gone up a little in price but they're still well-enough below what USPC charges for even a basic deck.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 04:38:08 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2014, 04:42:52 PM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Maybe they are EPCC??

All of Blaine's prior decks are from USPC.  White Lions came in a "Series A", a "Series B", "Black Label" and "Stealth Cards" (gaffs).  It's the Split Spades Lions that have "1st Edition" printed on the box - and no subsequent edition was ever made.  I think they were released in '09 (the year is printed on the box above the title) except for the metallic "Silver Split Spades" of last year (BTW, that was his first deck to use any metallic colors).  Additionally, there were a smattering of gaff cards released (I'm sure just a fraction of the ones that were made for Blaine himself) as well as three gaffed decks manufactured as "Bicycle Split Spades" in both prototype and production editions, each with different boxes.

Split Spades Lions were very popular for the handling and stock, as were the White Lions - but the White Lions stock was a bit heavier/thicker, if I remember correctly.  Some people loved this, some preferred the SSL stock better.

I'm reasonably sure that these Gatorbacks are EPCC-made, which is why there's such a hubbub about them.  If they were USPC, I doubt he'd have sold any respectable amount for $5/pack by the brick - the profit margin would be pretty narrow.  EPCC has gone up a little in price but they're still well-enough below what USPC charges for even a basic deck.

From the product page:

"This is the first time that the US Playing Card Company has printed a deck with metallic green ink backs and metallic faces to match."

« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2014, 06:28:26 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

I'm not saying they are or they are not EPCC. I don't think we should use his narrow profit margin as a factor. This $5/deck brick sale is only for 24 hours. David sold his silver edition split spades on Black Friday for what amounted to around $2.75 a deck. I think this is just David giving card and magic enthusiasts a nice deal for being on the ball.

The seal ensures that the cards have not been tampered with and help retain the deck's value for collectors.

Nice product description. Looks like they thought of everything. Written to hit all card buyers.

YES, It does say USPCC.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 06:45:50 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2014, 06:39:54 PM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Finally!!
But the problem is really the shipping: $52 bucks (plus custom taxes) it's too much.

So, for all of you that live in the US, that are considering to buy 1 brick but are having doubts, here's my proposal: 6 decks for you and 6 decks for me. I pay immediately the price for the 6 decks plus the shipping to Portugal (real shipping price only). For those interested, please PM me.
Enthusiast collector