You are Here:

Poll

if you only wanted one, based on what you know, which would it be?

Battlefield 4
Call of Duty:Ghosts
doesn't matter/either
i'd rather be in a real war
neither, i'm trying to save money for sex toys and the Galaxy cards deck...
POLL: Call of Duty:Ghosts, or Battlefield 4?

Author (Read 1004 times)

POLL: Call of Duty:Ghosts, or Battlefield 4?
« on: November 09, 2013, 10:54:26 PM »

magnacat

having a hard time picking between these... my friend is wanting to get me one or the other for us to play together on Xbox360. from what i've seen, they both have some pretty cool features/qualities to them. if anyone knows about this stuff, which is going to be the better choice for multiplayer, and why? also, which has the more interesting single player campain? :-\
(btw, for some reason, it says you can pick two, but really, it only makes sense to choose one. hopefully this is what everyone will do... if anyone can change this from two to one, please do. thanks.)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 11:01:59 PM by magnacat »

Re: POLL: Call of Duty:Ghosts, or Battlefield 4?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 12:30:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
My stepson insisted on getting CoD:G when it came out - he's a fan of the CoD:BO series as well.  It's a double-XP weekend right now.

He's not liking it as much as he thought it would.  It doesn't help that he's got controller issues that keep him from using the game very successfully, but he also commented that he didn't like that the multiplayer maps have become much larger - he felt that too many players were using it as an excuse for camping.  He doesn't consider that there are ways to counter such a strategy.  In real-world fighting, an uncamouflaged sniper that camps in any small area for any length of time should be known by another name - "nearly-stationary target!"  They move just enough to end up getting spotted, but not so much that they'd actually abandon their little patch of paradise.  NSTs are only surpassed by cows for the title of "easiest thing to locate and kill."  A wise sniper wouldn't hold a position for more than a couple of shots before melting away and popping up elsewhere precisely because they don't want to become campers/NSTs.  Simply put, dealing with NSTs requires more tactical movement than simply charging through open areas and praying to move effectively without getting taken out by someone you can't even see because you were running too fast.

Among the first things I learned in aikido was to not get attached to anything - a weapon, a patch of ground, whatever.  Staying in motion keeps you alive, while fighting from a single location makes you all too easy to find.  If anything, you use your opponent's attachments to their disadvantage - someone focused on hanging on to a weapon or not straying from a specific area isn't adequately focused on dealing with immediate threats until it's too late.  When they want your jo or the patch of land you're standing on, they're focused on that and expect you to give resistance - release it, give it to them, and when you do something so unexpected, they're unequipped to deal with you taking advantage and laying them flat, because you opted instead to focus on the real goal, stopping the opponent.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 12:36:30 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 12:33:16 AM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
I'm still waiting for the PS4 and XB1, and I planned to get Ghosts on PS4 and BF4 on XB1. I did, however, crack and get Ghosts on PS3. It is fantastic. Great campaign and quality multiplayer. I haven't played BF4 yet but I will once I get my XB1. So to speak for Ghosts, I can say it's a very good game if you're a Call of Duty fan to begin with. I thought the Ghosts campaign was one of the best in the CoD series, and having played all of them, that's pretty impressive. The multiplayer is pretty much the same as it always has been, so take that as you will. I always preferred BF3 for multiplayer, and BF4's multiplayer looks great, similar to BF3. I would pick Ghosts for campaign and BF4 for multiplayer. It's pretty obvious Battlefield prides itself on being a multiplayer game, and it shows.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 12:55:32 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I don't own either but have heard good things about BF4. I haven't gotten any of the last few COD releases because I wouldn't play the story mode in it... and the multiplayer hasn't been very innovative in the last while. I contemplated picking up BF4 since I really only play multiplayer FPS games, and still might but with school and finals coming up, I will be pretty busy, it is tempting though. I think Fanofyankees13 summed the games up pretty well.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 12:57:37 AM by Curt »

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 01:00:53 AM »

magnacat

although my friend will be paying for the majority of the cost of the game, as well as any multiplayer maps he insists we "have to play", i'm still going to end up being more concerned about the quality of the single-player campain. so fanofyankees13, it helps that you value the Ghosts campain so much... and even moreso than the other COD games is impressive. that makes a big difference.
kinda wondering what the "freefall" map will be like... sounds pretty neat-o.  :P  have you had a chance to play it?  (@Don- maybe your step-son would appreciate this dynamic map, if it is as ever-changing as it is suggested. this would really keep people from being "NST"'s fairly effectively, i would guess. =] )
i was also wondering if the gun selection was impressive... are there any uncommon weapons available? and what are the differences between the two games on this topic?
@fanofyankees13- when will you be getting BF4? if it is soon, please post your opinion of it when you get it, and let me know how it compares to your experience with COD:G's campian.
also, why COD on PS4, and BF4 on XB1? is there a significant difference between the versions? :-\

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 01:09:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm still waiting for the PS4 and XB1, and I planned to get Ghosts on PS4 and BF4 on XB1. I did, however, crack and get Ghosts on PS3. It is fantastic. Great campaign and quality multiplayer. I haven't played BF4 yet but I will once I get my XB1. So to speak for Ghosts, I can say it's a very good game if you're a Call of Duty fan to begin with. I thought the Ghosts campaign was one of the best in the CoD series, and having played all of them, that's pretty impressive. The multiplayer is pretty much the same as it always has been, so take that as you will. I always preferred BF3 for multiplayer, and BF4's multiplayer looks great, similar to BF3. I would pick Ghosts for campaign and BF4 for multiplayer. It's pretty obvious Battlefield prides itself on being a multiplayer game, and it shows.

Sounds good - my stepson's system is a PS3.  It's a shame I can never get him to even consider story mode.  He's a bit hung up on following any fictional plot line - he somehow managed to do very little fiction reading in grade school and has no desire for it at all in high school, only reading what he has to for school.  It's gonna bite him in the ass when he reaches college, but perish the thought that he'd listen to me, right?  :))  For him, it's all about the rankings, the XP, the unlocked bonuses, etc.  If they never even wrote a campaign story, he wouldn't miss it.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 02:40:12 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Sounds good - my stepson's system is a PS3.  It's a shame I can never get him to even consider story mode.  He's a bit hung up on following any fictional plot line - he somehow managed to do very little fiction reading in grade school and has no desire for it at all in high school, only reading what he has to for school.  It's gonna bite him in the ass when he reaches college, but perish the thought that he'd listen to me, right?  :))  For him, it's all about the rankings, the XP, the unlocked bonuses, etc.  If they never even wrote a campaign story, he wouldn't miss it.

Has he tried games that were not a first person shooter? Because, I am like your stepson and don't care at all about the story of a FPS, it's all about the multiplayer. Saying that, my absolute favorite games are good RPGs with awesome stories. The Witcher series is great, so is Bioshock, and I can't count how many hours I have devoted into Fallout games. What I want from a game really is genre dependent.

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 06:49:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Has he tried games that were not a first person shooter? Because, I am like your stepson and don't care at all about the story of a FPS, it's all about the multiplayer. Saying that, my absolute favorite games are good RPGs with awesome stories. The Witcher series is great, so is Bioshock, and I can't count how many hours I have devoted into Fallout games. What I want from a game really is genre dependent.

Just like he wouldn't touch a fiction novel if his life (or grades) didn't depend on it, neither will he touch anything but FPS games.  I've seen him play GTA and CoD pretty much exclusively since I met him about two-plus years ago.  He just has zero interest in fiction, be it a game, a book, even a movie.  I practically have to twist his arm to get him to go out to a movie; it's not natural, I tell ya...  He's already hinted about getting a PS4, but that's not happening this year, I don't think.

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 12:00:11 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I've always been a COD guy, but I stopped playing with BO2 since they moved the game from mid/long range to SMG battles only. They also made every part of the map easy to flank, and removed motion sensors.

Ghosts sounds like my kind of game. Once I save up for a PS4, I'll be getting it.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 09:40:27 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I've always been a COD guy, but I stopped playing with BO2 since they moved the game from mid/long range to SMG battles only. They also made every part of the map easy to flank, and removed motion sensors.

Ghosts sounds like my kind of game. Once I save up for a PS4, I'll be getting it.

See, now that sounds like a poll - who's getting the PS4 or the Xbox One...or both...or neither, 'cause they're waiting for the next "Mario Party" game (what are they up to now, like, 27 or something?)...

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 09:56:03 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:

See, now that sounds like a poll - who's getting the PS4 or the Xbox One...or both...or neither, 'cause they're waiting for the next "Mario Party" game (what are they up to now, like, 27 or something?)...

I may or may not be counting down the minutes until the midnight release event for the PS4.....
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe