Playing Card Chat ♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ > Hochman Updates

Chapter 7 - The United State Playing Card Company

(1/4) > >>

Chuqii:
Chapter 7 - The United State Playing Card Company

NCC1888:
CONGRESS 606 CARDS
For list of all known pre-1931 Congress 606 cards (over 350) and pictures of card backs (over 500) please visit our website at https://congresscardbacks.weebly.com/     It is a work in progress.

NCC1888:
The Schmidlapp Congress Deck
Information from Toby Edwards
The card you show with the children is from a special edition Congress deck made for a Mr. Jacob Godfrey Schmidlapp who was a prominent citizen of Cincinnati, apparently as a Christmas gift for 1917 based upon the photo of the box shown below. The children shown may have been his grandchildren. Mr. Schmidlapp was a classic American rags to riches success story having established a distillery in 1874 and, later on in 1890, he organized The Union Savings Bank and Trust Company, both of Cincinnati. I do not know if this was the first of the series of such special Congress decks made for Mr. Schmidlapp by USPC. I do know that there was a deck issued for 1918 but I do not have any examples. Given that Mr. Schmidlapp passed away just before Christmas, 1919, it is likely that this brief special series of Congress decks ended then.

Chuqii:
US35 - Auction Bridge #708 c1920-1926 - Adding joker and extra cards in two different back designs

Chuqii:
US34 Jumbo Index #88 - this variant is not listed and I believe was short-lived - #88 Jumbo Poker c1927 - this is the only joker I have, but I suspect there may be another

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version