You are Here:
What classifies as vintage, antique, etc?

Author (Read 1727 times)

What classifies as vintage, antique, etc?
« on: September 25, 2012, 01:14:42 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
The question is in the title!
Forum Founder.

Re: What classifies as vintage, antique, etc?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 04:29:34 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I'd say any deck before 1990 is vintage to me.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:30:05 PM by Evan »

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 08:22:54 PM »

Utterfool

• Elite Member
  • " I have nothing to declare except my folly"

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• last.fm:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:
That is a tough question to define, as there is often a lot of opinion on if something is really vintage. Antique is usually a little easier but still opinion takes some part.

Antique is usually something that is old, made with techniques that are completely out of date and may not be easily or accurately reproduced. Antique also should have an aesthetic value of some kind, be it quaint, artistic, rustic. Otherwise it is just an old piece of junk.

Vintage is typically something that is outdated but made with easily reproducible techniques. It usually is something that was mass produced but is representative of a certain style. You can have vintage things from the 90s you can have vintage things from the early aughts. So although in the past is an aspect a specific date in the past is not a requirement.

I believe the basic requirements would be
made in modern era by outdated but still used or easily reproducible techniques
mass produced
representative of a style and an era

where as antiques would be
made in different era with techniques that are not easily reproduced or completely outdated and not used.
Having an aesthetic value that may not be marked to a specific era but to an early time

I am not sure what the etc.. would be for this topic

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 12:27:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
If I'm not mistaken, in the car world they've adopted a standard of "at least 20 years old" for "vintage".  I think others have adopted the same standard for their fields of collecting.

"Antique" would be a little tougher to define - suffice it to say that it would be something older than vintage.  I might peg the standard personally at "at least 50 years old".

Think about it - while they aren't as great as some of the older cards, you could consider any car model year 1993 or older (since models came out a year BEFORE the actual year they were labeled at the time) as vintage.  There's very few of them on the road.  Though if the car was in craptacular condition, then it wouldn't be so much vintage as junk and spare parts.

Cars from the '80s and '70s would certainly be vintage.  They existed during your lifetime if you're not a little past middle-aged.  '60s-era cars would mostly be thought of as vintage.  But if you go back to models from 1962 and older, well - relatively few people alive actually drove one, and only a handful more than that were alive when they came into dealer's showrooms for the first time.  That's something I'd consider antique - it's not just old, but it uses technology that is the same as what we use today only on the most basic level (they're all combustion engines running on either gasoline or diesel fuel).  Beyond that, anything that was "cutting edge" back then we'd think of as either "quaint" and/or "no longer meeting current safety standards".  Those cars would certainly be antiques.

One could argue that the description would cover many cars going as close to today as the 1980s, but if you looked at the highest-end vehicles of that time, many of their most expensive technology-related optional features (not counting true luxuries like leather seats, wood paneling, etc.) would appear as standard equipment in today's economy cars, things like airbags, digital radios and clocks, electronically-controlled cylinder firing instead of an alternator and so on.  Of course, the older the car, even if it's still "vintage", the fewer of those features it would have, until you reached back to the "antique" cars, which is why the definition in terms of years is a little fuzzier.  But going back to the 50s, you didn't even have FM-band radios - the technology for using frequency modulation instead of only amplitude modulation wasn't in use at the time.  Those cars had not an ounce of plastic in them - all the "shiny bits" were made of chromed metal, not chrome-painted plastic.  Body construction was completely steel and the cars weighed about one to one-point-five tons more than today's vehicles, if not more.

I think that as far as this relates to playing cards, you'd need to know from one of the leading authorities.  I'll go dig up Tom or Judy Dawson's email address and fire off a note, see what they say and get back here with the response.  Lee Asher might also have a good response - if I don't hear from the Dawsons, that's plan B.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 03:39:44 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I always thought of vintage as anything from a previous decade (it's really weird to think that in a few years we can say "vintage 2005).

For antique, I always considered it to be pre-WWII.

I've sort of applied this to all areas but understandably it makes much less sense for cars since those don't have a very long pre-ww2 history.

Forum Founder.

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 07:08:45 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I always thought of vintage as anything from a previous decade (it's really weird to think that in a few years we can say "vintage 2005).

For antique, I always considered it to be pre-WWII.

I've sort of applied this to all areas but understandably it makes much less sense for cars since those don't have a very long pre-ww2 history.

I would have to agree that anything antique is pre-WWII. To be vintage I'd have to say that something has to be anything before and up to the 80's. Or just 30 years from the present to be classified as vintage. Like Don said; cars from the 80's and 70's are definitely classified as vintage vehicles.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 07:09:48 AM by Joker and the Thief »
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 01:47:27 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I accidentally stumbled on a vintage deck for sale on eBay - it turns out that eBay's definition of "vintage" is "pre-1970".

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 01:01:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This topic deserves a revival.  I posted recently on an eBay post about the definition of vintage - he was calling some very recent decks "vintage" when clearly they weren't.

What, in your mind, constitutes a vintage deck?  How about an antique deck?  Not that I hear that term tossed around much, but still...

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 03:24:36 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
But if you go back to models from 1962 and older, well - relatively few people alive actually drove one
Pardon me, senator Boyer, but that is just a bunch of malarkey.
By 1927, 15 million Model Ts had been manufactured by the Ford Motor Company.
I doubt 15 million seems like a handful to most americans.

:P

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 10:08:31 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
But if you go back to models from 1962 and older, well - relatively few people alive actually drove one
Pardon me, senator Boyer, but that is just a bunch of malarkey.
By 1927, 15 million Model Ts had been manufactured by the Ford Motor Company.
I doubt 15 million seems like a handful to most americans.

:P

First of all, you capitalize "Senator"...

Allow me to re-quote myself.  Notice the word I emphasize in red.

But if you go back to models from 1962 and older, well - relatively few people alive actually drove one.

The typical age that people start to drive is around 16 or 17.  A new 1962 car would have been out around 1961 - it would be just over fifty years old, so the youngest person to legally drive one would be around 66 or 67 today.

For your example, the 1927 Model T, that person would be over 100 years old.  Granted, some are restored and still in use today and still being driven by drivers younger than 100, but it doesn't change the point of my sentence, which is that relatively few people alive today would have driven one, even if they drove one that was twenty years old.  At which time, it would have already been considered a vintage car.  The older the car, the less likely that anyone today has driven it, due to the age of both the driver and the car - cars don't last forever, and the majority of them weren't restored and kept in service; they got junked.