You are Here:
Issues and Defects with playing cards

Author (Read 3076 times)

Issues and Defects with playing cards
« on: April 25, 2012, 06:49:15 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Recently I have opened a couple of decks with certain issues. Which ones have you experienced?
I have often found a couple cards in front of the flap of a sealed deck. I have also already seen a standard bike deck missing a 7 of hearts for no apparent reason. So, which ones have you experienced?

Re: Issues and Defects with playing cards
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 07:31:22 PM »

Billywiz

• Elite Member
I've only experienced an issue with one deck. When I ordered my first Black Arcane deck, it arrived in good condition, but it was missing the queen of hearts >:(. Luckily the dealer I bought from was reputable and he replaced the deck free.

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 02:29:57 AM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
I have had a deck that was missing the ace of hearts and the printing was a bit skewed. Don't know why. The place I bought it from wouldn't exchange the deck for a new one, so they gave me a refund instead. which is stupid, because I just bought a whole new deck!
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 11:35:14 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Guys, you know nothing about defects  ;) - have fun  :karrit:: Bicycle Templar Knights http://www.liveinternet.ru/community/3860098/post204601745/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 11:40:11 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Guys, you know nothing about defects  ;) - have fun  :karrit:: Bicycle Templar Knights http://www.liveinternet.ru/community/3860098/post204601745/
Where they all cut that way? And how come there is a 12 of diamonds? Was it done on purpose?

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 01:10:47 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
These can be used as gaffs. Super awesome. I only experienced one defect with a black split spades. The double backer had a slit/cut on one corner. I den emailed db store and received not one but two split spades(a sepia and a red) signed by David Blaine in the leather box. That's good customer service. :)

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 12:22:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Guys, you know nothing about defects  ;) - have fun  :karrit: : Bicycle Templar Knights http://www.liveinternet.ru/community/3860098/post204601745/
Where they all cut that way? And how come there is a 12 of diamonds? Was it done on purpose?

The 12 of diamonds was a gaff card included with the standard deck.

These can be used as gaffs. Super awesome. I only experienced one defect with a black split spades. The double backer had a slit/cut on one corner. I den emailed db store and received not one but two split spades(a sepia and a red) signed by David Blaine in the leather box. That's good customer service. :)

They do indeed have good customer service.  It's the reason I got to meet him in the first place!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 02:02:42 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

Some time ago Me and Kensei bought some Circle backs (red and blue) from Cutting Edge and then I gave him the blue ones and opened the red ones for myself only to find out that it did not have ANY FINISH on them At all. The blues ones were perfect but the red ones did not have any finish on them hahahaha!!! I was like.. WTF... but it was a good laugh I still have it until now. ^-^

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 02:15:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Some time ago Me and Kensei bought some Circle backs (red and blue) from Cutting Edge and then I gave him the blue ones and opened the red ones for myself only to find out that it did not have ANY FINISH on them At all. The blues ones were perfect but the red ones did not have any finish on them hahahaha!!! I was like.. WTF... but it was a good laugh I still have it until now. ^-^

Now THAT is one oddball glitch!  You should write back to USPC about it.  They actually want to know these things, because it allows them to perfect their QC on the production line.  That can't possibly have been the only few decks to have had that error on that day...

BTW: how does a finish-less Tally Ho deck handle?

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 03:00:59 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

Now THAT is one oddball glitch!  You should write back to USPC about it.  They actually want to know these things, because it allows them to perfect their QC on the production line.  That can't possibly have been the only few decks to have had that error on that day...

Yeah I guess I should. but I thought it was just normal to have these odd -ones-out kids of deck but yeah. I should probably. I bought is early this year before going to China.

Anyway, Finish-less tallys are HORRID! and thick and clunky... and the edges are kinda rough (duh) and I'm too scared to try anything with them because I already got a paper cut from it. :(
great for aerials. WILL NOT FAN AT ALL. :P Its really different like really different.

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 03:18:54 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Yeah I guess I should. but I thought it was just normal to have these odd -ones-out kids of deck but yeah. I should probably. I bought is early this year before going to China.

Anyway, Finish-less tallys are HORRID! and thick and clunky... and the edges are kinda rough (duh) and I'm too scared to try anything with them because I already got a paper cut from it. :(
great for aerials. WILL NOT FAN AT ALL. :P Its really different like really different.

Write to USPC and get them replaced.  You don't even have to send in the whole deck, just the AoS, guarantee joker and (if those two don't already cover it) a sample of the defect.  In that state, they're little more than a curiosity and not worth much as a deck of cards.

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 01:49:17 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
That's really cool Krystle. I actually had never heard of such a thing. If I were you I would keep it just as a souvenir and not bother paying postage to send it back.

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 01:54:59 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
When I needed to destroy 3 Red Artifice decks in order to get replacements, I noticed that all three of the double backers were messed up. On one side they looked just like the back, but on the other side, it was a weird translucent pink design and became completely useless for any tricks.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 02:41:09 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Pink artifice? That must be fun to see!

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 02:45:36 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Well not really pink, but washed out and faded, with a slight pink hue on some parts.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 07:05:25 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I recall seeing that same defect for one of my Artifice double backers.  Mine was close enough that you might be able to pull it off, but still different.  USPC actually tells designers that for certain designs, there's a chance that the double backer cards will look a bit different on the face than on the back.

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 07:37:21 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Luckily for me, I have not encountered many deck defects when buying my cards. Other than the occasional offset borders, I have found two deck with the cards outside of the flaps as you have mentioned above. I also, for no apparent reason, bought a Series 1800's deck where one card had a darker shade of red than the others. Was this color variation a misprint or intentional? I believe it was the King of Hearts, which was somewhat darker than its other companions.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 12:24:16 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Well I have encountered new studs without seal under the plastic flap, or with a seal but without plastic flap, and also some without either one. Those are the most recent defects I've seen.

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 01:13:44 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I have never had these issues, though they really weird print on the templars i would kill to own. Those are amazing, and finishless tally's also awesome.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 07:49:24 AM »

Utterfool

• Elite Member
  • " I have nothing to declare except my folly"

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• last.fm:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:
I once had a deck that, when I bit into it, I found half a worm inside. It was weird because I cut it up looking for the other half but couldn't find it.
I mean how does half a worm get into a deck of cards?

The outside was all shiny and didn't have any tears or dents at all

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 08:43:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I once had a deck that, when I bit into it, I found half a worm inside. It was weird because I cut it up looking for the other half but couldn't find it.
I mean how does half a worm get into a deck of cards?

The outside was all shiny and didn't have any tears or dents at all

...¿Qué?

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 12:33:03 PM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
When I first started getting cards I asked for a bicycle poker set for christmas (having never owned any bikes) It came with a red and a blue deck but the red deck had no guarantee joker...It was a pain to replace since thats the guy you send off... The company replaced it nevertheless but with a red standard :/

I once bought a blue deck that had a back so skewed I could use it as a one way back...

I also got 2 jokers in a DB mind reading deck where I am sure I was only meant to get 1...
Some Men just want to watch the world burn.