Re: Post Your Vintage Collection - Your Newest & Most Prized Acquisitions
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2014, 01:08:37 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Picked up a mini deck of Tom Thumb Junior playing cards by Arrco Card Co.

Yes, those are two holes in the Ace of Spades. I believe this deck was used in a trick (Haunted pack?)

If you want to see the back design, you must publicly promise not to laugh or judge...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:10:48 PM by Lee Asher »

« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2014, 01:28:25 AM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
Picked up a mini deck of Tom Thumb Junior playing cards by Arrco Card Co.

Yes, those are two holes in the Ace of Spades. I believe this deck was used in a trick (Haunted pack?)

If you want to see the back design, you must publicly promise not to laugh or judge...

I publicly promise not to laugh, let us see those backs!
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2014, 01:53:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Oh, Mr. Asher, of course we won't laugh!

What's with all the miniature decks lately?  Are you trying to feel like a giant?  Or are you trying out for the next Tamiflu TV ad?  :))

In case you haven't seen the ad or know the product, Tamiflu is a drug taken to shorten the duration of a case of common influenza.  It's only effective if taken within the first 48 hours of symptom onset.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puEJO8ipNfs
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2014, 08:29:25 AM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
You promised not to laugh....here you go.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 08:32:05 AM by Lee Asher »

« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2014, 09:37:07 AM »

yoel

• Forum Regular
You promised not to laugh....here you go.

How cute. It's Dumbo's girlfriend! Sorry I did laugh a little. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 09:37:28 AM by yoelanshel »

« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2014, 11:14:44 AM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
How cute. It's Dumbo's girlfriend! Sorry I did laugh a little.

Yeah, it's tough not to laugh...

« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2014, 11:53:37 AM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
Laugh, why would we laugh?? Elephants are terrifying, I had to try my hardest not to scream!  Look it it..you know this one's up to no good, it's probably going to trample an unsuspecting group of people.  That's why the holes are in the card, someone got scared and had the put her down.
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2014, 12:02:45 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Laugh, why would we laugh?? Elephants are terrifying, I had to try my hardest not to scream!  Look it it..you know this one's up to no good, it's probably going to trample an unsuspecting group of people.  That's why the holes are in the card, someone got scared and had the put her down.

Elephants never forget ... & that includes this post!

« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2014, 12:06:44 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Ok, one more mini before I go.

Just added a pack of Liliput 131 minis (Spanish pattern / Catalan faces) to the collection. They were made by my favorite card manufacturer on this planet.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 12:07:01 PM by Lee Asher »

« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2014, 12:38:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Ok, one more mini before I go.

Just added a pack of Liliput 131 minis (Spanish pattern / Catalan faces) to the collection. They were made by my favorite card manufacturer on this planet.

What happened - did you run out of Canadian nickels?  :))

Your favorite, aye?  Gee, I wonder why...  (now that had me laughing)

« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2014, 02:36:28 AM »

chach

• Forum Regular
Not sure if this post belongs here or in the Plethora, but seeing as these aren't from the last 20+ years, I'll throw it here.

Some buzzed browsing netted me these two decks via eBay.  The Secret Weapon is a Desert Shield variety that was going for way less than any of the other auction asking prices.  I already have one, but it never hurts to have an extra copy on hand and at 50% less than what everyone else was asking, how could I pass it up?  At least that's what the alcohol in my system told me... The Bee deck is unopened and lightly glued to the cardboard backing.  I'm not sure of the date, but I'd say late 60's or 70's since there's no tax stamp on it yet also no bar code.  Price tag on the card stock states 65cents.  Have to say, I wouldn't mind being able to pick up Bee decks for 65 cents a pop.  Anyways, I says to myself, "You've never seen one like that self! You best get it now!"  Again, Buzzed Browsing can be dangerous when your paypal account is directly linked to eBay.  But for less than $20 for the pair (including shipping), I'm a happy customer.

BTW - I'm looking for an original Vietnam version of the Bicycle Secret Weapon deck.  It is my grail deck, my white whale, the end all be all for my collection.  If anyone has any leads on where I can get one (opened or sealed, doesn't matter),  I would be much appreciative.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 02:53:44 AM by chach »
-El Guapo

ISO - Vietnam vintage Bicycle Secret Weapon Aces of Spades deck.

« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2014, 03:59:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Not sure if this post belongs here or in the Plethora, but seeing as these aren't from the last 20+ years, I'll throw it here.

Some buzzed browsing netted me these two decks via eBay.  The Secret Weapon is a Desert Shield variety that was going for way less than any of the other auction asking prices.  I already have one, but it never hurts to have an extra copy on hand and at 50% less than what everyone else was asking, how could I pass it up?  At least that's what the alcohol in my system told me... The Bee deck is unopened and lightly glued to the cardboard backing.  I'm not sure of the date, but I'd say late 60's or 70's since there's no tax stamp on it yet also no bar code.  Price tag on the card stock states 65cents.  Have to say, I wouldn't mind being able to pick up Bee decks for 65 cents a pop.  Anyways, I says to myself, "You've never seen one like that self! You best get it now!"  Again, Buzzed Browsing can be dangerous when your paypal account is directly linked to eBay.  But for less than $20 for the pair (including shipping), I'm a happy customer.

BTW - I'm looking for an original Vietnam version of the Bicycle Secret Weapon deck.  It is my grail deck, my white whale, the end all be all for my collection.  If anyone has any leads on where I can get one (opened or sealed, doesn't matter),  I would be much appreciative.

You're in exactly the correct place!

I wish you luck hunting your white whale.  They're out there, but they're rather scarce since most of the Vietnam-era Secret Weapon decks were used in the field.  Be advised that last year USPC released a commemorative edition of that deck.  It's also one of those decks that you might find fakes of, but they're usually not too hard to suss out.

« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2014, 04:32:00 AM »

chach

• Forum Regular
Thanks for the encouragement.  I like that USPCC released a commemorative deck, but it sure has made searching for an original one all the more tedious.  An eBay search used to take only a few secs to check through, now you have to go through 20 different listings to see which one is pictured.   I've been looking for one for years and have seen them only twice.  First one I saw was at a gunshow and to say the dealer was proud of his items is an understatement.  His belief that because half the tuck was missing along with most of the cards automatically meant that it was carried by Hal Moore himself.   ::)   It's very possible that particular deck was carried in the field and that's why some of the cards were missing, but what's more likely was that the guy distressed the pack himself and came up with his wild stories to improve the price without any actual providence.  The second time was at a friend of a friend's place and he didn't want to part with them at all as his father gave them to him.  I know I can relate to that, my father served in Vietnam and I have a few things from that time and there's no way on earth I'd give any of them up for any price.  Heck, the first deck of the Desert Shield version I got was a gift from a friend of mine that was stationed in Kuwait during DS and I wouldn't sell that one either because of its providence. 

As you said, the differences between the three versions are slight, though easily sussed out.   Thanks again.
-El Guapo

« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2014, 07:00:53 AM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
I've been wanting to get that secret weapon deck on ebay. Maybe I'll get one soon.
The commemorative ones released last year don't say Cincinnati, USA at the bottom if I remember correctly.
I also thought about getting the Vietnam version. But with no luck I thought about buying 52 individual Vietnam version ace of spades and wrap them in a vintage Vietnam war document since I love paper wrapped cards. :)

That bee looks sexy in that pristine condition.

« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2014, 07:41:47 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

I just acquired an original secret weapon. I be willing to trade but it would need to be  a solid trade. It is not my holy grail but a great deck. Lol iv noticed that I almost like doing character references of a person before trading one of my vintage decks. :)

Also mine is open. I care not for cellowrap. (I received it open)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 07:44:49 AM by JacksonRobinson »
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2014, 08:36:50 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Did you get it (the original secret weapon ace of spades deck) for sale or trade? If sale how much was it? I would love to have one but doubt I could afford it if I found one.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2014, 05:12:55 PM »

chach

• Forum Regular

I just acquired an original secret weapon. I be willing to trade but it would need to be  a solid trade. It is not my holy grail but a great deck. Lol iv noticed that I almost like doing character references of a person before trading one of my vintage decks. :)

Also mine is open. I care not for cellowrap. (I received it open)

I just PM'd you, didn't want to derail this thread further.
-El Guapo

« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2014, 10:34:19 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I just arrived at my new home in Memphis, and found an awesome care package waiting for me from Mr. Rock. Some awesome decks in this package.

At the bottom is a NYCC sample book.

c.1919-1924 Prohibition Era Bee Sealed Class A Tax Stamp

c.1940-1965 Extremely Rare Bee "Smooth Finish" Sealed 1Cent Square Tax Stamp

Original, Authentic Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Bicycle Ace of Spades Deck

Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2014, 11:24:56 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I just arrived at my new home in Memphis, and found an awesome care package waiting for me from Mr. Rock. Some awesome decks in this package.

Looks like John really cares about you!  :))

c.1940-1965 Extremely Rare Bee "Smooth Finish" Sealed 1Cent Square Tax Stamp

I think you got the tax stamp description a little mixed up.  That's a 1940-1965 rectangular "1 Pack" tax stamp.  There was a square "1 Pack" stamp in use at the time that resembled your "Class A" stamp, but those are clearly rectangular.

Was there a square "10 Cents" stamp on something that you didn't show us?  Those were in use right after your "Class A" stamp, followed by the rectangular version in '29.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 11:25:43 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2014, 06:38:29 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Very nice additions Jackson, Gratz.

What's the info on this deck, haven't seen that design before.

« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2014, 08:29:29 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

That is a rerpo deck of a very early USPC deck called the "Texan" I just moved so my Hochmans is packer or I would give you the code.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2014, 09:03:35 AM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:

That is a repro deck of a very early USPC deck called the "Texan" I just moved so my Hochmans is packed or I would give you the code.

Texan #45 is listed in the Hochman as US13. The original is from around circa 1889. The one in Jackson's pic is the reprint that sells for about $5.

« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2014, 10:13:36 PM »

chach

• Forum Regular
Picked these up off ebay, from what I can tell they're a '59 vintage.  Z code on the AoS with a 1 tax-stamp.  They're very nice condition, the only issue is that they came from a smoker's home. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:16:57 PM by chach »
-El Guapo

« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2014, 01:50:06 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Tom & Judy just came back from a small vacation, and found these beauties for me. Thanks!!!

« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2014, 02:34:08 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Are you trying to make Golden Nuggets into the next Jerry's Nuggets?
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club