You are Here:
Review: Phill Smith's Elysian Duets - a brilliant successor to the DMC Elites

Author (Read 502 times)

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
  • BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame
Review: Phill Smith's Elysian Duets - a brilliant successor to the DMC Elites marked deck

When it comes to marked cards, Phill Smith is a well-known name.  His popular DMC Elites first appeared in 2015, the DMC branding being a reference to his collaboration with English magician Drummond Money-Coutts.  These decks use an ingenious marking system on the card backs that Phill created, and that you can literally read from across a room.  It's billed as an "optical marking system" and the way it works is that you actually can't see the markings if they're right under your nose, but only from a distance away, and only if you know how to look at them. Once you know the system, you can't unsee the marks, and they're as plain as daylight.

The DMC Elites went through several versions, and now that Phill Smith is no longer working with Money-Coutts, he's rebranded the project, and the newly released Elysian Duets represent the latest version of this ingenious marked deck.  Phill has really taken things to the next level, because not only do we have the usual corner marking system with his easy-to-read optical marking system, but the cards also come in Mnemonica order, and there are markings which reveal the stack position, as well as the value/suit of the cards above and below any selected card in the stack. 

Anyone familiar with the DMC Elites will know how powerful and easy-to-use Phill's optical marking system is on its own.  If you're looking for a marked deck that isn't Bicycle branded, it's easily been the best on the market (along with Ondrej Psenicka's Butterfly Playing Cards, which use a more complex edge-marking system).  By incorporating the Mnemonica stack, the Elysian Duets instantly give magicians additional super powers to perform even more amazing miracles than those possible with an ordinary marked deck.  I've explored some of the possibilities that you can perform with a good marked deck incorporating a stack, by exploring proven products like Andy Nyman's The Code and Luke Jermay's Marksman Deck.  What you can do with these decks is absolutely mind-blowing, and the Elysian Duets now put the same kind of abilities at your finger-tips, while being so much easier to read.

Besides the deck, you get an instruction card with a secret link to Phill's website, where you'll find instructions for using the deck, and nine tricks that are ready to go.  Phill plans to add to these periodically with new material.  There are other extras I haven't mentioned, like one way markings, a Joker reveal, a QR code reveal, and a double backer.

The cards are printed by WJPC on their 310gsm German black core stock.  I've written about the quality and handling of WJPC's playing cards several times in the past, and I have been very favourably impressed by the quality they are producing.  I personally favour their slightly thinner 300gsm stock, which handles very similar to USPCC's crushed stock.  But their 310gsm stock is still a solid option, and it faros smoothly and easily out of the box, and holds up well.

Phill took the unusual step of not bringing his Elysian Duets to the market right away, but first he produced 30 samples that he sent out to well-qualified and hand-picked individuals in the world of playing cards, marked cards, and card magic.  That way he could benefit from their input and criticisms, and as a result he made numerous changes and improvements that have benefited the final product.  I was fortunate to be one of those who test-drove his original prototype, and applaud Phill for going the extra mile to get valuable feedback, and produce something that actually meets what card magicians are looking for in a product like this.   

The Elysian Duets are a fantastic addition to the current range of marked decks on the market, and should easily and quickly become a top choice for many card magicians.  They're available in red and blue, and come at around a $20 price point at all the major magic retailers.  Considering that you're not just getting a deck of cards, but a toolbox for creating a world of astonishment, including a number of strong tricks ready-to-go, this is excellent value.  Highly recommended.

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=