Once Upon a Time Playing Cards

Author (Read 1416 times)

Once Upon a Time Playing Cards
« on: August 09, 2015, 08:59:44 AM »

max

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Dear friends,

I thought you already talked about this deck by Toronto Playing Cards Co. but as far as I haven't seen it and I recently published an Interview with the artists, I thought you could be interested on the deck (that, in my opinion, is quite interesting).

Here you have the link to the article in case you are interested about the story and inspiration behind it (of course, you can also link to the project website if interested).

http://www.maxplayingcards.com/en/2015/08/06/once-upon-a-time-playing-cards-these-fairy-tales-are-not-for-children-interview-to-the-artist/

Thanks!

PS: attached the images of the cards too:

Max
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:02:47 AM by max »

Re: Once Upon a Time Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 09:38:54 AM »

chas0039

• Forum Regular
Very different deck.  Hard to see this getting broad appeal.

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 11:07:36 AM »

• Newcomer
Hi chas0039,

Yup, it is very different indeed - which is sort of what we were striving for :)  I'm the owner of the Toronto Playing Card Co.  We are not necessarily looking to sell a million dollars worth of cards but rather to put out some interesting artwork into the playing card world. 

By the way, for a direct link to our live Kickstarter campaign you can check it out here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1983371295/once-upon-a-time-playing-cards-printed-by-the-uspc

And thanks Max for doing that write up on us.

- Kevin

Once upon a time.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 01:42:11 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular

Re: Once upon a time.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 06:49:13 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1983371295/once-upon-a-time-playing-cards-printed-by-the-uspc

I love this deck, very creative! Almost funded too.

It's a good design - and we already had a topic for it!  I merged yours with it.  It's easier for "future generations" looking for info on a deck if we put all the info in one Plethora topic.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 01:44:20 AM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular
Thank you! I searched for it but couldn't find it.

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 05:54:38 PM »

whaam

• True Member
Success on KS few days ago. I was watching this one, wondered how it'll do on KS.
I guessed that a girl is a designer here (and not only because the Prince doesn't have clothes  :),...was right, I think. Nice job.

I like painted decks, nice colors and theme. The theme is actually what sold the deck. Back is in a different style, good for the first time but doesn't really match the artwork. I don't see the tuck.
        I see the artist's skill in painting is not at a top level, this is somewhere in between painting and children's book illustration but...., with such theme, that might be intentional...and it worked.
These guys had 1 design before, interesting, another girl designer, similar theme...and a successful project there too.

Both decks have one way courts,...that's not something I would prefer. I got a tons of paintings that could go one way on card, don't work well if mirrored. Playing cards should have mirrored images. Otherwise they're like art cards (or "aceo").

Johnny

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 10:34:56 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Success on KS few days ago. I was watching this one, wondered how it'll do on KS.
I guessed that a girl is a designer here (and not only because the Prince doesn't have clothes  :),...was right, I think. Nice job.

I like painted decks, nice colors and theme. The theme is actually what sold the deck. Back is in a different style, good for the first time but doesn't really match the artwork. I don't see the tuck.
        I see the artist's skill in painting is not at a top level, this is somewhere in between painting and children's book illustration but...., with such theme, that might be intentional...and it worked.
These guys had 1 design before, interesting, another girl designer, similar theme...and a successful project there too.

Both decks have one way courts,...that's not something I would prefer. I got a tons of paintings that could go one way on card, don't work well if mirrored. Playing cards should have mirrored images. Otherwise they're like art cards (or "aceo").

Johnny

Nice observations.  Would have been better perhaps a month ago, though, seeing as how the project ended already.

It's an opinion, I know, but courts (in my opinion!) don't have to be two-way.  They've only been two-way as a general rule for less than 150 years of the approximately 1000-1100 years playing cards have existed (based on some estimates that they were invented in late Tang Dynasty China).  It depends on the deck and its purpose - this is definitely more art-oriented.  The two-way head as a convention came about because a player flipping his card in his hand to see the face was a dead giveaway that he was holding a court card!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 10:16:03 AM »

whaam

• True Member
 :) The flipping card in hand thing is still something I'm trying not to do while holding an ace (upside down), but sometimes I can't resist doing it.

Given the history of playing cards, I can agree courts sometimes may be done one way. Works well in some cases. This design is one.

Yeah, I understand, I'm gonna try to comment more current events, projects from now on.

Johnny 

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 04:41:44 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular
Got mine! The deck looks phenomenal! I see no errors thus far(I inspect all my new decks, specially Kickstarter decks, closely). Not a big fan of the sides tho (see 2nd picture) it's made to look like the sides of the cards. All in all I give this an A  :D