You are Here:
Gimpshop - A free Photoshop friendly environment

Author (Read 911 times)

Gimpshop - A free Photoshop friendly environment
« on: December 02, 2011, 03:49:19 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
For those of you running Linux or Mac, and not in the mood to obtain or purchase Photoshop, you're in luck. There's a really neat solution I stumbled across today called Gimpshop (http://gimpshop.com/).  It's a modification of Gimp that puts you in that familiar Photoshop workspace. 

If you don't know, Gimp is the free alternative to pixel based imaging software.  You can check it out here: http://www.gimp.org/.  While Gimp is free, that's not to say it can't do what PS can.  It is a very feature filled application, and is very comparable to PS.  However, I have never been comfortable with the user interface of Gimp, it's always seemed a little... gimped.

I don't have a Linux or Mac machine with me here at work, but reading through the site, it seems rather promising.  Hopefully at some point over the weekend I'll have the opportunity to install it on my Ubuntu machine and give it a whirl.  I'll post more information once I've given it a thorough test drive.

Has anyone here already played around with this?  Is it everything I'm hoping for, or are my expectations going to fall quite short?
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

Re: Gimpshop - A free Photoshop friendly environment
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 08:20:13 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Just a quick note to anyone reading and thinking 'I only have a Windows machine', it's very easy to use Linux on a Windows machine.  Many distributions (operating systems) built using the Linux kernel can be burned to a CD and will only boot up when you have that CD in the drive when you turn the machine on (look for Linux Live CDs if you want to do this).  This basically means that any computer (yes, macs too) can run Linux whenever you like.  If you want, you can also install a Linux distro onto a hard drive partition and have the choice to run it when you boot up the machine, with or without the CD (no expertise required but it does take a bit more effort than the Live CD).