You are Here:
Auction hunter new to and curious about cards

Author (Read 831 times)

Auction hunter new to and curious about cards
« on: May 10, 2015, 12:13:40 AM »

vincedia

• Newcomer
Hello all.

I'm Vince from Eastern Pennsylvania. I'm an auction/estate sale hunter and I love the roads I've taken from the interesting finds.
A friend and I have recently come upon a large collection of cards and games from early Americana and I have begun the research into what drives a playing card collection.

It is good to know that such passionate group of card collectors exists, however I am not surprised. I've stumbled my way through collectors of military and firearms, cars, advertising, coins, seeds, AOL CDs, linens, lighters and even domain names.

In my hunt for more information about the history, values, and classification of playing cards I have stumbled upon your forum.

I am not a collector and my thrill comes from the knowledge of history and learning about the passion from collectors. I tend to read and research before posting and questioning. I do understand that there are usually a handful of common questions that every forum regular reads from every new member and internet wanderer...I will read them and hopefully not follow suit...but thank you in advance for answering those tedious inquirers so I may learn in their wake!

If anyone is here with whom I may have crossed paths in another setting, please feel free to say hi!

Vince

Re: Auction hunter new to and curious about cards
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 01:08:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Welcome aboard, Vince!  I would correct you by saying that you are indeed a collector - your categories just happen to be a bit broader and your purpose is somewhat different.  You're like "the collector's collector!"

If you're looking at cards in the collection from 1950 or older, the definitive book on the subject is the Hochman's Encyclopedia, along with the matching Price Guide.  A new, all-digital edition was recently released, which you can purchase here from the Conjuring Arts Research Center.  The board's owner, Tom Dawson, is co-author along with his wife, Judy Dawson.

You should also familiarize yourself with our two "STISO" boards (STISO being an acronym for "sales, trades and in search of").  The Pasteboard Bazaar deals with cards from the last two decades or so while Aces and Eights covers vintage and antique decks.  Please read the rules for each of those two message boards - there are prerequisites before one can post offer topics.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 11:46:08 AM »

vincedia

• Newcomer
Thank you for the kind words.

I see your point about being a collector...in a non-typical sense of the term.

Most of what I have from the initial auction ot is from 18xx to early 1900's as my best guess to date.
U.S Playing Card Co. - GEM - Congress - Jeu Louis BP Grimaud - Excelsior

Although after reading through a number of posts here I am intrigued by some of the modern decks...particularly with exceptional graphics and themes. I could never be the type to not open a deck and feel the weight and coating...even if I didn't realize it till now, it was always my favorite part of poker night.

What section(if there is a separate area) should I check or post in for information regarding mini decks of cards?

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 02:12:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thank you for the kind words.

I see your point about being a collector...in a non-typical sense of the term.

Most of what I have from the initial auction ot is from 18xx to early 1900's as my best guess to date.
U.S Playing Card Co. - GEM - Congress - Jeu Louis BP Grimaud - Excelsior

Although after reading through a number of posts here I am intrigued by some of the modern decks...particularly with exceptional graphics and themes. I could never be the type to not open a deck and feel the weight and coating...even if I didn't realize it till now, it was always my favorite part of poker night.

What section(if there is a separate area) should I check or post in for information regarding mini decks of cards?

I know what you mean about feeling the cards.  Some collectors practically fetishize their decks, enshrining them on a shelf while still sealed in cellophane, never to be opened (at least not while it's in their possession)!

As far as mini-decks go, they don't get talked about a lot here, but it does come up now and then, mostly in terms of either mini versions of modern custom decks or vintage models.  As a general rule, if a deck has your basic 52 cards and perhaps a joker or two, it fits in this forum, no problem.  Bridge decks are about the same - they come up now and again, but only infrequently.  Most of the discussion deals with poker-sized cards, also called "wide" or "standard."  Bridge decks are sometimes called "narrow," while mini-decks are sometimes called "patience" or "solitaire" decks.  A bridge hand has a lot of cards, so a more narrow card allows smaller hands to hold them all, while the mini decks are great for playing a game requiring a lot of table space, like many solitaire games do, "patience games" being the more popular term internationally for solitaire card games.  Outside the US and Canada, "solitaire" often refers to the cross-shaped peg game where a player jumps pegs one at a time, trying to leave him- or herself with only one peg at the end.

Vintage/antique cards are discussed in A Cellar of Fine Vintages while modern decks are chatted about in the Playing Card Plethora.  "Vintage" is any deck over 20 years old and "antique" would be in the ballpark of 80 years old or more.  A rough rule of thumb would be that a vintage deck is at least a generation old while an antique deck is about a lifetime old (presently, about four generations, a full generation lasting about two decades, or the amount of time from your birth and the births of your peers to that of your children and their peers).

Specialized decks for magic (gimmick decks, marked, etc.) go in the Magical Cardistry Bonanza, as would any decks specially designed for cardistry which do NOT conform to the International Standard.  For example, if there's a deck with no values or suits, just pretty-looking faces and backs and very smooth handling characteristics, that's a deck that isn't of the Standard but might be very well-suited for cardistry.  A definition of cardistry: take the fancy cuts, fans and other card manipulations that magicians sometimes do to show off their handling skills, separate it from magic into an art form in its own right and you have cardistry.  It's also known as flourishing and XCM (eXtreme Card Manipulation).  As an independent art form, cardistry is pretty young yet, not much older than a decade or so, if not less.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 02:17:47 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/