You are Here:
Time to say "Hello."

Author (Read 404 times)

Time to say "Hello."
« on: May 06, 2014, 05:24:43 PM »

D. Dorn

• True Member
I've been hanging out here for a few weeks, but haven't properly introduced myself.

I'm a 40-ish chemist from Kansas City.  I've always played cards with the family, and have one of my first decks I bought (mini "Arkansas" deck from 1988 or so).  I didn't really start collecting 'til about a year ago, when I stumbled upon a Dan and Dave Ultimate deck.  From there I went to ebay, then Kickstarter, and from there, I found this place.

I did buy a Black Tiger deck back in '07 that I saw at a magic shop, and have worn it out, not knowing it had any special value.  I just thought it looked cool!  I've never picked up the skills for cardistry, or magic, but I have begun to fiddle around a little bit.

My main interest is new artistic decks and have Theory 11, Ellusionist, CARC, Elite, 4PM and Circle City, as well as several independantly made Kickstarter decks, and various other items.  I have many of the recent USPCC releases, as well, and continue to add decks at an alarming rate.

I am also a collector of pocket knives.  I suffered the loss of several hundreds of dollars pursuing that hobby, and have amassed a sizable collection of modern and traditional knives varying from $10 - $500 each.  Cards are much cheaper!!!

Thanks for this awesome forum.  I have enjoyed the knowledge available here.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 05:26:25 PM by D. Dorn »

Re: Time to say "Hello."
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 01:17:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Welcome aboard, D.!

Black Tigers were the first, but a lot of them got worn out because they were meant to be used, not stared at!

As far as costs, well - it can actually be comparable to what you paid for your knife collection!  It depends on what you buy, of course.  Most modern decks wouldn't hit the triple digits, but good-quality vintage decks can get pretty costly, even into the four figures in a handful of cases.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.  We have a lot of helpful people around here.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 12:47:24 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Welcome D. Dorn. Interesting comment on relative cost of penknives versus Cards. Hang in for a while & you find some cards that have a pretty healthy ticket sticker!
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 06:38:35 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
welcome aboard D. Dorn  :D
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy