You are Here:
A brief introduction

Author (Read 659 times)

A brief introduction
« on: June 18, 2013, 11:37:24 AM »

pmkane

• The art of seeing what is invisible to others.

• Facebook:
Hello group!

This is my first time here and I thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself . . . I am a photographer and graphic designer with a love for cards and a very brief career in magic back in my late teens/early twenties. While the magic is now reserved for close friends and family (and the occasional bar bet) my love for cards has always remained. One of my first big gigs as a fine art photographer was work on a deck of 'paranormal cards' called Konxari Cards. I've begun researching the process of a Kickstarter Campaign to help in the creation of a deck of cards based on my photography! I am a member of the Bicycle 808 club and when I found out about their 'design-a-deck' contest, I decided to give it a go - having only found out about it 3 days before the contest deadline, I whipped together a camera related card back - and wouldn't you know it, I won!

So this gives me some much needed confidence to move forward with the deck  . . . a very exciting time! In my research, I came across this forum and thought I'd join up. Looking forward to reading all the posts and such . . .

Thanks for your time . . .

Paul Michael Kane
www.paulmichaelkane.com

Re: A brief introduction
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 03:42:08 PM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Welcome Paul, great card back.  I'd be interested to see what you have in store for your deck.  Will it be photography work or images on cameras?  Kickstarter is becoming a very popular place for card designers and there are a lot of great decks out there, but you'll find that it's a tough market.  Card collectors are a very discerning crowd and these forums provide a lot of chatter and feedback.  I have to say that the people here are friendly, honest and helpful. 
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Your design just blew my mind... I never made the connection with the Aperture logo until just now.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 03:58:42 PM »

pmkane

• The art of seeing what is invisible to others.

• Facebook:
Thanks for the welcome, guys . . . and the kind words. Very excited about this deck. The face of the cards will be images from my existing body of work, converted to black and white for a consistent look. I have a new system of card recognition that I don't think has been done before and is designed to take advantage of the image space while making sure that the card designation is clear. The face cards will be new images, shot just for this deck and will use a few models to denote the court . . . can't wait to show you all more!! Feel free to check out my work at www.paulmichaelkane.com . . . and follow me on Facebook . . . I'll be posting updates there as well . . . it's my hope to get the Kickstarter up and running by August!

-pmk

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 05:27:04 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Make sure you make a thread about your deck in Design & Dev!
Forum Founder.

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 05:34:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Welcome on board - it's always great to have another deck designer in our midst.  Alex is right - the Design & Development board is a great place for someone looking for design critiques.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask the staff and we'll see what we can do for you.

Cheers,
Don
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/