You are Here:
Allo Cardists

Author (Read 549 times)

Allo Cardists
« on: February 21, 2013, 04:53:13 AM »

Mr Rik

• Newcomer
Allo Folks

Just a quick introduction to me - got into playing cards about a year ago when I was looking for something to collect.  I visit lots of charity shops/junk shops here in Edinburgh and thought that I should keep an extra special eye out for playing cards.  However, having got into them, I almost never buy them second hand now, as in this condition they don't do some of the lovely things new ones can, such as fan.

In terms of what I do with cards, I am trying to teach myself some flourishes just now, which I am finding difficult - it seems to take me about a whole day to get a move down and even when I do I have the grace and poise of a fart!!!

As someone who lives on his own and is in their mid forties I do find the practice keeps away the loneliness and I can do it while watching films or TV, if in a half distracted way.  Saying that I enjoy the practice, and hope that perhaps one day I will develop some style and indeed some confidence to display in public. 

Anyway, thanks for reading and I look forward to conversing with you all.

Cheers

Mr Rik

Re: Allo Cardists
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 06:00:17 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Sup Mr. Rik? Welcome bro, enjoy the forums! Being a cardist I can safely say that it will take a lot more than one day to get most moves down :) In fact, get used to dropping and picking up cards, because its gonna be a hell of a journey, but a good one at that! Depending on how much you practice (6-8 hours a day recommended) it will take you at least 1 and half years year to start getting good. You need to learn the basics and work your way up but definitely define your own style and create your own flourishes. There's no doubt about it, flourishing is bloody difficult but with perseverance, dedication, practice, a burning passion and a prayer you will become quite skilled. If you have any questions please do feel free to ask :)

Take Care!
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 10:48:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Welcome, Mr. Rik.  Perhaps you'll have an experience similar to my own.

I'm in my mid-forties, learned to practice some card magic as I was starting to collect back in December, 2010.  Went on a few Internet blind dates.  Performed a few magic tricks for a woman I thought was rather attractive back in July of 2011.  We got married in August!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 12:57:33 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Welcome Mr. Rik,

The Magic/Cardistry section has plenty of topics about learning different flourishes, pop in there for a look. Also, shoot me a PM if you have any questions or concerns about the board and I'll try and get back to you ASAP.