You are Here:
"Now You See Me" - real magic or reel magic?

Author (Read 4087 times)

Re: Latest Magic Movie to Hit the Big Screen - Now You See Me
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2012, 12:25:35 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Another magic movie coming out this year, I hope they both hit my local theater.
Do you only have one "local" theater. If you do, you must really live in a small town. In my city, I have at least three or four I can immediately think of. (And they all aren't Century)
Jim Carrey might not be the box office draw he once was, but a movie with him parodying Criss Angel will definitely play big!
It'll be a big play for us because we know who Criss Angel is. How many average Americans do you think know who he is? Aside from this magic products at Wal-Mart, he hasn't received that much attention, even with Mindfreak. (is that thing still on?) Nowadays, when you say "magician", you think of Blaine or Copperfield, right? Now those will be big hits.
Anyway, just to be a smart ass, I really want to go up to the counter and say: "two tickets for Now You See Me, please" and then just do a massive anaconda!
Just out of curiosity, if your a ticket-seller at Century, do you get background on the movie playing at your theater, or must you do external research. Beacuse, I was thinking about how they might not make the connection between cards and movie themes. For all they know, a movie called "Now You See Me" could just be about a kid's hide-and-seek adventure.

I'm sure the staff would have to know a little about each film. Even if they didn't want to, being in a film based environment will sink film synopses into their brains haha.

do it. show your skill man.

Will do! I'll let you know how it went when the time arises. That's going to be a good few months a away!
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 05:03:35 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
So with it getting closer to the movies release date, they posted the 1st 4mins online. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200532285163439&set=vb.494219247258520&type=2&theater

Looks awesome already.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 09:28:11 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I just saw an early screening of the movie tonight. I think you'll enjoy it a lot  :) The audience loved it and applauded at the end.

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 10:12:10 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Well that's a very star studded cast, jeez
Forum Founder.

Magicians and the Movie - Now You See Me
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 04:55:39 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Hey Everyone,

I have always been interested in card magic but I
am a beginner beginner when it comes to the tricks I know. I recently
saw the movie Now You See Me and I thought it was pretty cool. I wanted
to get the opinions of some Magicians about the movie.

Do Magicians like the movie? Do you think it represented magic tricks fairly for a movie?

Let me know what you think?

Thanks,
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards
Wild West Decks - Coming Soon to Kickstarter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl
Kickstarter: Wild West Coming Soon 2016

Re: Magicians and the Movie - Now You See Me
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 06:01:48 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey Everyone,

I have always been interested in card magic but I
am a beginner beginner when it comes to the tricks I know. I recently
saw the movie Now You See Me and I thought it was pretty cool. I wanted
to get the opinions of some Magicians about the movie.

Do Magicians like the movie? Do you think it represented magic tricks fairly for a movie?

Let me know what you think?

Thanks,

Some of the tricks were indeed "realistic" in the sense that a stage performer with the right crew and a good brain trust could indeed perform some of the illusions presented in the movie.  It's toward the end that the movie drifts into the fantastical.  Many of those tricks are tough to pull off without using camera tricks - a tool of some magicians practically since the camera itself was invented.  And the stuff in the last few minutes is absolutely fictional.

I'm moving this to Talk Park - it's a discussion about a movie rather than about a trick or magical effect.  I know we've had this discussion before, but we never dedicated a full topic to it, did we?  Oh, wait, we DO have a topic for this movie!  I'll just merge them, then.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/