You are Here:
Information on De La Rue Playing Cards required

Author (Read 1158 times)

Information on De La Rue Playing Cards required
« on: October 07, 2022, 01:29:03 PM »

annp

• Newcomer
I have 2 decks of De La Rue playing cards that belonged to my Great Grandfather, he was in the Royal Artillery in India, 1870 - 1890.

On the front of the first pack there is a motif " RAR".  Then underneath a cannon and "UBIQUE" This pack has been used a lot, with very dirty black smudges all over them. I presume that my G.Grandfather had very dirty hands

The second pack has a flower with a gold background. It is in reasonably good condition given how old it must be.

I wondered if anyone can give me any information on these please?

Re: Information on De La Rue Playing Cards required
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 05:54:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Taking a quick stab at it, I'd estimate the first deck is from the turn of the century, circa 1900, plus or minus.  The rounded corners weren't as common until the 20th century, and neither were indices, but the early index designs were small much like this one.

The second deck looks slightly more contemporary - and is that gold ink on the backs?  Probably made in the post-Great-War years and before the Black Friday stock market crash - roughly 1919-1929.  Indices that large were uncommon on earlier decks, and gold ink was eschewed on most decks made during the Great Depression, when few people could afford to buy anything so fancy.

I'd say to try the World of Playing Cards website for more information.  They'd know more about decks originating from Europe and would have more examples on hand - most of the people here have most of their deck knowledge focused on American brands and products.  We know European decks a little, while they know them a lot.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/