You are Here:
White Artifice Deck from Ellusionist

Author (Read 14462 times)

White Artifice Deck from Ellusionist
« on: March 31, 2013, 07:56:22 PM »

amosyzk

• True Member
Ellusionist posted this on their fb page ytd. Release date and name of deck is unknown.
Some comments suggest that it could be the white artifice, but some deemed otherwise.
I gotta say, the box looks like the artifice boxes more than any other decks that were suggested (Sultan treasury version 2, Fathom deck etc.)
But I hope it isn't the white artifice but a new deck design.

"|| WINTER IS COMING || Soon."
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 04:17:50 AM by Don Boyer »

Re: White Artifice Deck? from Ellusionist
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 08:07:56 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Ellusionist posted this on their fb page ytd. Release date and name of deck is unknown.
Some comments suggest that it could be the white artifice, but some deemed otherwise.
I gotta say, the box looks like the artifice boxes more than any other decks that were suggested (Sultan treasury version 2, Fathom deck etc.)

Well, the Fathom is part of a series - the water deck.  Soon there will be earth, wind and fire decks.

But they would likely have mentioned the element rather than a season.

BUT...

If I recall, we ALREADY HAVE on our release list a joint project between Alex Chin/Seasons and Ellusionist...

This is a new Seasons deck - I can practically guarantee it!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 08:11:10 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Interested teaser. They've been making nice ones with the ice. I wouldn't mind a white Artifice. White looks clean and prestigious. If it is the Season's deck, what different thing do you think they'll do this time? Let's wait and see what comes up.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 08:43:24 PM »

amosyzk

• True Member

Well, the Fathom is part of a series - the water deck.  Soon there will be earth, wind and fire decks.

But they would likely have mentioned the element rather than a season.

BUT...

If I recall, we ALREADY HAVE on our release list a joint project between Alex Chin/Seasons and Ellusionist...

This is a new Seasons deck - I can practically guarantee it!

If its the water deck, they would probably show the deck in water rather than ice.
I gotta go for White Artifice or Seasons. Maybe they will send a promo deck to the black club members?

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 09:37:03 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

If its the water deck, they would probably show the deck in water rather than ice.
I gotta go for White Artifice or Seasons. Maybe they will send a promo deck to the black club members?

Don't count on it.  There are benefits to being a member, but a free copy of every deck released isn't one of them.  We will, however, get a 24-hour head start on buying it.

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 09:41:51 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Maybe they will send a promo deck to the black club members?
That's doing to much. You already got a limited deck, a limited box, some downloads, discounts, an unreleased deck, and advance notices/purchase opportunities. No need to be greedy now. I believe all those goodies are already worth the $150.

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 10:56:27 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
Hmm just based solely on "WINTER IS COMING" I'd say it's another seasons deck which would be amazing! I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing more. Can't wait!
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 11:09:36 PM »

amosyzk

• True Member
That's doing to much. You already got a limited deck, a limited box, some downloads, discounts, an unreleased deck, and advance notices/purchase opportunities. No need to be greedy now. I believe all those goodies are already worth the $150.

Oh I didn't know the members get so much. I am NOT one myself so I thought the members are able to get decks faster than normal buyers.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 11:11:36 PM by amosyzk »

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 11:36:46 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

Oh I didn't know the members get so much. I am NOT one myself so I thought the members are able to get decks faster than normal buyers.

Yeah those are the perks of purchasing a Black Club membership. A few of those items are really nice in my opinion but I didn't join because it is expensive for me at the moment. I do think the day in advance for releases is pretty nice as well but I don't think any Ellusionist deck has sold out before being publically released since the release of the Black Club.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 01:17:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Actually, we do - we get a 24-hour head start on purchasing any new Ellusionist release (not just decks) before it goes on sale to the public.

Yeah those are the perks of purchasing a Black Club membership. A few of those items are really nice in my opinion but I didn't join because it is expensive for me at the moment. I do think the day in advance for releases is pretty nice as well but I don't think any Ellusionist deck has sold out before being publically released since the release of the Black Club.

But don't think just about decks - everything they sell we get first crack at; decks, uncut sheets, magic tricks and gimmicks, etc.  As far as decks, imagine they had the Red Artifice release AFTER the Black Club came into existence rather than before.  I would have been able to buy my decks, no rush, no panic, no jammed servers, simple as that.  On the rare occasion that something really rare goes on sale, having that 24-hour window saves you a lot of stress trying to obtain it.

Re: White Artifice Deck from Ellusionist
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 02:19:43 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
Ooh good point. I'm not sure how I forgot about server lags but getting a day head start can really take that unneeded stress away. And I didn't know that the "advanced" purchase (before the general public release) also applies to other merchandise as well.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 04:17:24 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 02:47:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Ooh good point. I'm not sure how I forgot about server lags but getting a day head start can really take that unneeded stress away. And I didn't know that the "advanced" purchase (before the general public release) also applies to other merchandise as well.

It's not so much for someone who's just a card collector, but for someone who's also a hardcore magician.  Don't you remember all the card collectors who had no interest in magic bitching that they had to "buy" all that other stuff just to get a precious Black Club Artifice deck?  They didn't frame it in their minds that they were buying the privileges that go with the membership as well.  While it wasn't the cheapest thing (nor the most expensive) I've ever purchased for magic, it's steadily becoming worth its cost.

Oh, wait!  I nearly forgot!

BLACK FRIDAY!

Black Club members will be doing their shopping on Thanksgiving!  Boo yah!  Let's hope they have something good to offer this year!

EDIT: wow - we are getting WAY off-course here...  Let's rein it in a bit.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:49:40 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 04:59:40 AM »

amosyzk

• True Member
EDIT: wow - we are getting WAY off-course here...  Let's rein it in a bit.

Yeah we are getting way off-course here, but at least we are still talking bout E rather than Theory 11.

Anyway, one fb user commented on E's photo: "If any one remembers correctly, someone asked for a white artifice deck possibly and brad said: "careful of what you wish for" and left it at that."
Not sure where he got that from but I gotta say its looking more like the White Artifice rather than Seasons.

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 05:21:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Anyway, one fb user commented on E's photo: "If any one remembers correctly, someone asked for a white artifice deck possibly and brad said: "careful of what you wish for" and left it at that."
Not sure where he got that from but I gotta say its looking more like the White Artifice rather than Seasons.

In which case, why the mention of winter?  And I don't recall the Artifice deck having the "Ellusionist Playing Card Co." logo on the side or the top of the box - this looks like it's on the top.  All the Artifice releases to date haven't had that logo, and they've kept the same basic design through all the iterations of the deck.  Even up to that regrettable purple - nice back, disastrous faces.  Even the Black Club deck is somewhat flawed - the reds are dull white and the blacks are a light gray, making them tougher to distinguish from each other.  Anyway, what they have had was the old E logo on the left side of the bottom panel, and it would stand to reason that they'd keep the design consistent, so even if they did update it to have the new firebird logo, it would be in the same place, the left side of the bottom of the tuck box.  The firebird logo in the photo is on the right.

The white tuck box does look "Artifice-y", I'll grant you, but there are alterations to the basic Artifice design.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but I am saying they're talking about WINTER IS COMING and we know they're working on at least one project with Alex Chin/Seasons Playing Cards, a project that's been in the works for several months - pushing a year, at this point.  It just seems more logical.  The talk was, as far as I know, that he was doing a special deck for E, and that at some point he'd be making his "winter" and "summer" decks, but there was no time table and no mention of whether they'd be a team-up with E as well.  Alex told me when the Gold Edition decks were being released that he was approached by E to do the entire series with them but that he was already tied up with another business partner and it was a slightly complicated situation.

I'm thinking Seasons Winter deck.

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 06:52:31 AM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
I'm with Don on this. Although I did ask about the white artifice and Brad responded saying, "be careful what you wish for," I am convinced that 'winter' would refer to the seasons deck. If I understand my hemispheres correctly, winter has passed in America and it is now spring.
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 12:22:03 PM »

amosyzk

• True Member
Yeah after reading all that Don had said, I am pretty convinced that its the seasons deck. If its a white artifice, they wouldn't put a "winter" into that teaser.

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 01:45:01 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
These are white artifices.

the picture is also of the bottom. If you look at the bottom of an artifice deck it has that exact same design.

On my purple artifice the old ellusionist symbol is on the right(when you hole the box normal), but it is upside down. So all they did here was add the new logo, flip it so it looks right, and do some color changes.

It would make sense to have a black and a white artifice.

And the "Winter is coming" can just refer to the deck being white, a color associated with winter.

People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 03:27:49 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
I'm with Don on this. Although I did ask about the white artifice and Brad responded saying, "be careful what you wish for," I am convinced that 'winter' would refer to the seasons deck. If I understand my hemispheres correctly, winter has passed in America and it is now spring.

As much as I'd like for this to be another Seasons deck, you're right. Winter has just passed in America. And although "WINTER IS COMING" is a terrible choice of words to tease a White Artifice, it's possible. Again, I'd really like to see another Seasons deck and am really hoping it is, I'm not closing the possibility of a White Artifice. I mean it'll be a while before winter actually gets here.

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 06:43:37 PM »

smelyrhino

• Newcomer
It would seem the phrase "Winter is coming" has a reference to the returning season 3 of Game of Thrones.

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 07:07:13 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It would seem the phrase "Winter is coming" has a reference to the returning season 3 of Game of Thrones.

Wait, there already IS a Game of Thrones deck...  :))

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 09:12:10 PM »

sway

• Forum Regular
I too think that "Winter is coming" is a mere pop culture reference (Game of Thrones). That is one of the most referenced quotes in the show and Season 3 premiered just yesterday.

So, I'm guessing the "winter" thing is just related to the fact that the new deck is snow white, not that it has any real connexion with Game of Thrones whatsoever.

It's probably the new White Artifice, though I would love if this was revealed to be Alex Chin's Winter Season deck.

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 11:37:38 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
IF it IS a White Artifice deck, please don't tell me it's going to be another "club" exclusive. Ughh.

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 11:44:32 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
IF it IS a White Artifice deck, please don't tell me it's going to be another "club" exclusive. Ughh.

It could be either White Artifices or a new Seasons and I hope it's not club exclusive. That would be terrible. If it is another Artifice white would look very clean and nice. I may be dreaming but I think metallic ink would be very cool. :))

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 12:04:26 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
If its another artifice, I will buy it, I wanted a white one. BUT at the same time Ellusionist will no longer be my favorite company. They have ran that deck way to far. Saying they were done a long time ago and kept going.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 12:12:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Why would it be?  There's only one actual exclusive for the club, and it's the deck from which it gets its name.

If its another artifice, I will buy it, I wanted a white one. BUT at the same time Ellusionist will no longer be my favorite company. They have ran that deck way to far. Saying they were done a long time ago and kept going.

I think they jumped the shark with the purple deck.  I did hear months back from someone around here that E mentioned the Artifice was going to be their big "go-to" deck going forward.  It's rapidly becoming their "been-there-done-that-bought-the-T-shirt" deck...

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2013, 12:29:28 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I understand having a couple colors of a great deck, but now its like that movie that some ask if you have seen the latest and there are so many you can't remember the number they are at. Let artifice be done. PLEASE
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2013, 12:50:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I understand having a couple colors of a great deck, but now its like that movie that some ask if you have seen the latest and there are so many you can't remember the number they are at. Let artifice be done. PLEASE

You mean like "Star Wars: Episode XLVIII - Luke Skywalker Eats Prunes"?  :))

I liked the simple concept - clean, elegant deck, in a couple of colors, and voila.  Maybe make a few more colors down the road, fine, whatever.  But this is what killed it for me: they put a survey on their FB page asking people if they'd want a purple version.  "Yes" was the majority vote, but something like nearly 1/4 of those "Yes" votes indicated they wanted a black border.  They were asked nothing about the black border.  By some stretch of the imagination, E took this as a public mandate, thinking that if they'd actually asked about a border they'd certainly get many more votes for it...  oy...  And the color scheme was ridiculous - "Let's give the black pips purple cores, and let's give the once-red-now-purple pips black cores!"  Clean and elegant went out the door and down the street, stark raving mad and running like hell.

If they'd have stuck with the simple 2nd Edition design and made the back color purple in the same way as the blue and green decks, it would have been perfect.  I bought only two out of curiosity and don't plan on buying any more, ever.

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 12:53:08 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

Well like you said, if it is a white one, I'm there and I will buy it. But that just better be the last one. And I do agree with Don that the purple one seemed a but hasty. I actually could do without the blue or green one. But since they've already been done there's nothing really we can do. Design is still nice though, gotta give em that.

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 03:40:54 AM »

4pm Designer

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

I'd say white artifice. Design is way to similar.

Winter teaser to Seasons makes sense but just look at that design comparison. It's too coincidental to not be an Artifice.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 04:15:13 AM by Don Boyer »
Creator of Legacy, The Grid, Grid 2.0 & Mythos: Necronomicon Bicycle® Playing Cards. CEO of 4PM DESIGNS.

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 04:16:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Y'know, seeing them side by side like that, I think I'm forced to agree with 4PM and the rest of you White Artificers...

Seasons will have to wait for another time...   :(

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2013, 08:13:37 AM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
Whose to say it couldn't be both seasons and artifice.
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013, 08:56:19 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
That's definitely White Artifice.
I'm thinking its going to a nice looking deck.

However, I'd like to point this out - this'll be the 7th edition of Artifice playing cards.
It baffles me that the amount of anger and rage people unleashed on the Monarchs deck (yes, I understand hype was a contributing factor), for having technically only had 3 editions, yet it is  dawning on people that Ellusionist has taken it too far with 7 editions of one series of cards.

Now, Smoke and Mirrors was different, my reason being is that Dan and Dave looked to improve and try different things with each deck. These various things included different and improved handling and design features such as metallic inks, embossing and seals which weren't all present in each edition.

As for the Artifice decks, they were pretty much colour changes and swapping between being borderless and having borders. Exceptions being very minor design changes.

I'm probably going to get a little bit of hate from this...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 09:00:28 AM by Joker and the Thief »
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 09:00:22 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Whose to say it couldn't be both seasons and artifice.

Everyone but you!  ;)

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2013, 09:18:52 AM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
It baffles me that the amount of anger and rage people unleashed on the Monarchs deck (yes, I understand hype was a contributing factor), for having technically only had 3 editions, yet it is  dawning on people that Ellusionist has taken it too far with 7 editions of one series of cards.

As for the Artifice decks, they were pretty much colour changes and swapping between being borderless and having borders. Exceptions being very minor design changes.

I'm probably going to get a little bit of hate from this...

Theory 11 also had alot of the monarch releases near a time of hate they were in already, gold and normal, white and silver, so i don't necessarily think people were hating the reprint but T11 as a whole. It also didn't help when T11 were trying to distract people from what was going on like people getting 3 and 4 bricks of white monarchs, by releasing silver monarchs with the reasoning, "Just like white monarchs, but silver!"

Now i will admit that 6 is a large number for color changes, we still don't know what this deck is so my number of reprints is at 6 so far, but E had some very good reasons and excuses for them. Blue was the V1, test the waters, red was a limited edition done because people loved the blue, blue V2 was done because while people loved the V1, people hated the fact that they had borders, green is... well i don't know why they did green, purple was E giving back to the customers that wanted a new color and a black border, black was for the club and here we are now.

While T11 did something like this: Monarchs pre release consisting of 111 decks, lol we messed up the 111 are now super rare and everyone else gets a white instead of gold version,white was a  limited version done because they could, lol you're mad that some people got 3 bricks of white monarchs and you got none? heres a silver deck... ITS ALMOST THE SAME THING BUT FOR EVERYONE :D, and monarchs with thinner borders was a USPC test apparently seeing how USPC manages thin borders or something like that.

I don't hate you because of your opinion on this, i hate you for other reasons  :t11: just kidding

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 09:24:17 AM by john »
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 10:06:49 AM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
After LoopCuts interview for Seasons artist, I don't think will be a collaboration between E and Seasons. But you never know.
http://loopcuts.com/seasons-artist-interview/

I don't have Black Artifice deck (still waiting to arrive), but I am 70-80% sure that will be a White Artifice deck. I love Purple Artifice, more than others and I guess a white blueish (cold color) version will be nice too.
"Art is never finished, only abandoned" – Leonardo daVinci

"Measure twice, cut once." - Don Boyer

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 10:25:50 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Why would it be?  There's only one actual exclusive for the club, and it's the deck from which it gets its name.
I was thinking they might want it to be exclusive to match with it's counterpart.

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2013, 09:46:42 AM »

sway

• Forum Regular
this'll be the 7th edition of Artifice playing cards.

You know, 7 is a magical number.

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2013, 12:50:07 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
this'll be the 7th edition of Artifice playing cards.

You know, 7 is a magical number.

Magical yes. But excessive as well isn't it? White is a good idea though in my opinion. Or at least a color I would like to see.

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2013, 01:28:46 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
I reached out to Alex Chin to see if he's involved.  I'll let you know what he says

CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2013, 02:45:57 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
well... I didn't have to wait for a response..

I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2013, 03:15:15 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
well... I didn't have to wait for a response..

Oh wow cool CBJ thanks for posting that! I guess it's confirmed to be another Artifice. And the "winter" refers to this Artifice being "Artifice Tundra" or white Artifice :)) well I'm probably in for this because I think Artifice in white will look great!

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2013, 03:54:32 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Artifice Tundra? Lemmings will be happy  :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2013, 08:36:02 PM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Old Lemmings game! :D :D :D

Btw, the deck is not a limited deck and I think will be released next week.

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2013, 08:37:30 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Old Lemmings game! :D :D :D

Btw, the deck is not a limited deck and I think will be released next week.

I had that game for the Amiga 500.  I now have it for the PS3!

Well, we're Black Club, so we'll know soon enough.

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2013, 08:47:14 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Love me some Artifice.

Is it safe to say these will have white borders?

Lets hope these have a very clean look to them. Nothing crazy on the courts cards like the purple recolored pips or anything like that.

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2013, 08:53:30 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
Love me some Artifice.

Lets hope these have a very clean look to them. Nothing crazy on the courts cards like the purple recolored pips or anything like that.

See, that's what I'm hoping. With the color white and the design of the Artifices, the look can be very clean and very very attractive. But coloring can also be tricky so let's hope nothing weird happens. And I think white borders is safe to say :))

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2013, 09:14:31 PM »

amosyzk

• True Member
Love me some Artifice.

If these doesn't have any white borders, I would be really disappointed.
If these have borders with other colors, I think the cards would look kinda crazy.

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2013, 09:16:40 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Love me some Artifice.

If these doesn't have any white borders, I would be really disappointed.
If these have borders with other colors, I think the cards would look kinda crazy.

I'm guessing it will be the "Ghost" of the Artifice line.  Inverted black back, maybe even the black pips with red and black indices.

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2013, 10:11:22 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Lol. Very clean-looking deck. Interesting choice of names though. It's very powerful in only six characters.

What makes you think otherwise?

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2013, 07:01:54 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
This is looking very clean. As Don had mentioned prior, this is an inverse back design. As you all know the Artifice tuck boxes (Border or no Border) show the back design as it appears on the cards. This latest teaser of the box back I see no border. Hopefully that's only the box design. Maybe they fade to a white border on the actual cards. Based on what I see and the fact they are white cards, Ellusionist might not have seen any reason to have borders on this Tundra design. We will see... The no borders will make or break buying the decks for me. I'm a little more picky then most.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:08:20 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2013, 09:51:50 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This is looking very clean. As Don had mentioned prior, this is an inverse back design. As you all know the Artifice tuck boxes (Border or no Border) show the back design as it appears on the cards. This latest teaser of the box back I see no border. Hopefully that's only the box design. Maybe they fade to a white border on the actual cards. Based on what I see and the fact they are white cards, Ellusionist might not have seen any reason to have borders on this Tundra design. We will see... The no borders will make or break buying the decks for me. I'm a little more picky then most.

It's looking like a white deck with a white border - you should be very happy with it.

Is it me or are you stressing a lot over this deck?  :))

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2013, 12:20:35 AM »

magimago

My favorite are still the red artifice, black and red seems to be a great combination.
I like white playing cards a lot, just for the artifice -series i find the backs a little bit boring, when compared to the other colors.
I m actualy curious if the faces will be strictly black and white as well, with red and black pips.
Game or Thrones is addicting

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2013, 12:43:06 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
My favorite are still the red artifice, black and red seems to be a great combination.
I like white playing cards a lot, just for the artifice -series i find the backs a little bit boring, when compared to the other colors.
I m actualy curious if the faces will be strictly black and white as well, with red and black pips.

So kind of like their Ghosts? And I personally think the backs wouldn't be boring in white if the design isn't simply black ink but maybe metallic gray or maybe even that black with gold sparkled in (it escapes me which deck actually had that.... a Blaine deck?). I'm actually hoping that the pips would be done like the blue LTDs with red as usual but that steely gray color. That's what I'd like to see.... probably not what they'd actually do though. :))
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:44:12 AM by Michael »

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2013, 12:45:24 AM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
The backs are borderless and the best part of it all... they aren't black  :bosswalk:

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2013, 01:01:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

So kind of like their Ghosts? And I personally think the backs wouldn't be boring in white if the design isn't simply black ink but maybe metallic gray or maybe even that black with gold sparkled in (it escapes me which deck actually had that.... a Blaine deck?). I'm actually hoping that the pips would be done like the blue LTDs with red as usual but that steely gray color. That's what I'd like to see.... probably not what they'd actually do though. :))

I'm thinking maybe an icy blue-gray or a metallic silver for the reds - but definitely not a "Ghost"-style all-black with black-and-red indices.  There's no point in simply copying the concept.  As much as the "gunmetal blue" of the Titanium decks at T11 weren't as well received (they looked more gray than blue), they'd be perfect for this deck's red pips.

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2013, 01:07:28 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

I'm thinking maybe an icy blue-gray or a metallic silver for the reds - but definitely not a "Ghost"-style all-black with black-and-red indices.  There's no point in simply copying the concept.  As much as the "gunmetal blue" of the Titanium decks at T11 weren't as well received (they looked more gray than blue), they'd be perfect for this deck's red pips.

That would actually work as well so that the colors wouldn't be confusing like the purple Artifices. I like a steely gray or metallic silver or some similar shade for the reds as well. I actually liked the Titanium Bikes that T11 put out. But as much as I liked them, do you think the *gunmetal blue" be fitting of "tundra"? I guess I can see blue being in there for cold or something like that maybe.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 01:08:10 AM by Michael »

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2013, 02:01:46 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
that back is so beautiful. Thats what I said when I saw it. My friend was surprised when I said it was the deck not the girl that walked by.

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2013, 08:39:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

That would actually work as well so that the colors wouldn't be confusing like the purple Artifices. I like a steely gray or metallic silver or some similar shade for the reds as well. I actually liked the Titanium Bikes that T11 put out. But as much as I liked them, do you think the *gunmetal blue" be fitting of "tundra"? I guess I can see blue being in there for cold or something like that maybe.

The gunmetal blue was more gray than blue and reflective like ice - it would look right at home on an icy tundra.

that back is so beautiful. Thats what I said when I saw it. My friend was surprised when I said it was the deck not the girl that walked by.

It is pretty sweet...  But nicer than a girl??  :))

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2013, 09:04:57 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

The gunmetal blue was more gray than blue and reflective like ice - it would look right at home on an icy tundra.

It is pretty sweet...  But nicer than a girl??  :))

She was not ok, plus as far as girls goes there was another on my mind.

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2013, 11:07:52 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

It's looking like a white deck with a white border - you should be very happy with it.

Nope, I'm not stressing. You might be coming to that conclusion based on my combined comments here and on the Fed52. It's simple... I either buy it, or I don't.

I don't know we're your seeing a boarder from this tuck design? It looks to be following suit with v1 and the purple v3 tuck box design (no border).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 11:14:25 AM by Legacy »

« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2013, 11:59:06 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

Nope, I'm not stressing. You might be coming to that conclusion based on my combined comments here and on the Fed52. It's simple... I either buy it, or I don't.

I don't know we're your seeing a boarder from this tuck design? It looks to be following suit with v1 and the purple v3 tuck box design (no border).

With a white design, a white border is the same as no border isn't it? I mean assuming the stock is white of course and not made to look "vintage" like some of the D&D decks. But I guess those cards don't count as being "white".

« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2013, 12:01:29 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

On a white deck, unless it's got a design printed into the bleed, "borderless" actually is a white border!

If the background of the back has a color and everything else applies, the deck's border is the background color.

A design going into the bleed (like Bee Diamond Backs or Texan Palmettos) are truly borderless.

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2013, 01:10:13 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
all of the v1 styled decks have a black border. or did people miss the black rim around the deck?
have you heard the word???

« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2013, 01:13:39 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
With a white design, a white border is the same as no border isn't it? I mean assuming the stock is white of course and not made to look "vintage" like some of the D&D decks. But I guess those cards don't count as being "white".

True... That's really what I meant prior when I wrote Ellusionist not having the need to have a (defined clean white) border like v2 because the design itself is white. That also could meet my playing card preferred style. We will wait a see... The teaser is doing its job.

« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2013, 09:39:20 PM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Here we are : front and back.

I guess they looks the same like others artifice decks. ( I'm still waiting for my order  ::) )

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2013, 10:07:37 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Here we are : front and back.

I guess they looks the same like others artifice decks. ( I'm still waiting for my order  ::) )

They are very thin fade to white borders. Well played Ellusionist. That works for me!

You are right though, looking at the V1's, those fade to Black.

Questioning the choice to minimize the color RED for the Diamond and Heart Pips and Suits (Ghost Style). That's New for the Artifice.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:25:31 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2013, 10:16:29 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Yep! Ghost pips. Anyway, I'm liking the look of the deck overall. Just hope they don't put out a rainbow of colors. Ugh.

What makes you think the design will not look like an Artifice deck?

« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2013, 11:47:02 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Honestly, though they look nice, I'm disappointed.  Bastard child of Artifice and Ghost.  Where's the originality?

Let me guess - there will be a black-and-white version named "Lunar" with black background, white pips, etc. like the Black Ghost deck...

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2013, 12:43:46 AM »

amosyzk

• True Member
Well, it looks like a white ghost deck with a diff back design, thats all.

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2013, 01:00:48 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
Ugh I'm extremely disappointed with the pip coloring. Too bad cause I was looking forward to something fresh and different. Oh well. My wallet will be a little heavier at the end of the day than I expected.

« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2013, 03:26:47 AM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
What sort of pip colouring were you guys looking for?

« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2013, 04:04:45 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
What sort of pip colouring were you guys looking for?

I think we just didn't want to see the faces of the cards looking like their Ghost deck where it's just a minimalistic red and standard black. I personally was looking and hoping the red to be replaced with a gray or a metallic gray just to give it a little life/character separate from their other decks. I know the LTDs were kind of like that but I mean standard red and black? Not bad. But the Ghosts look exactly the same. All we have here is a white Artifice with Artifice courts and Ghost pips.

« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2013, 04:43:37 AM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
Ahh I see. Fair enough point. I guess from one perspective the colours make it a bit more practical for performing magic, however I can definitely see the idea behind the silver and metallic inks.

« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2013, 06:45:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Honestly, this deck isn't "Artifice Tundra" - it's "Artifice Ghost".  They really could have run with the tundra theme; a cold, wintry plain, stark winter colors, cold metallic ink in silver, etc.  This is really a letdown.  They're nice looking, but so devoid of originality - it's like they came up with it during a 420 session while watching Adult Swim for too long...  "Hey, man - the Artifice is a really popular deck, and so is the Ghost - what if we put them together?  That's like, twice as good, right?"  I would have preferred a whole new deck over this, really.

« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2013, 07:11:11 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Ugh I'm extremely disappointed with the pip coloring. Too bad cause I was looking forward to something fresh and different. Oh well. My wallet will be a little heavier at the end of the day than I expected.

I have to agree with you. I'm going to pass on this deck.

The back design in white (fade borders) works so well. I'm almost surprised they did not create a white deck a long time ago. The Pips kill it for me. In my opinion, design should never interfere with function (Color changes, Poker table eye recognition). There is a little bit of red but not enough. Using the ghost concept and calling it something entirely different (tundra) is also disappointing. They could have done something very cool with the white artifice decks and still kept the pips and court cards true to the artifice brand.

Honestly, this deck isn't "Artifice Tundra" - it's "Artifice Ghost".  They really could have run with the tundra theme; a cold, wintry plain, stark winter colors, cold metallic ink in silver, etc.  This is really a letdown.  They're nice looking, but so devoid of originality - it's like they came up with it during a 420 session while watching Adult Swim for too long...  "Hey, man - the Artifice is a really popular deck, and so is the Ghost - what if we put them together?  That's like, twice as good, right?"  I would have preferred a whole new deck over this, really.

Exactly!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 07:33:51 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2013, 05:08:25 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
So does anyone else think the custom decks market is oversaturated with new stuff? When I joined the community we had one deck, maybe two, every months. A new release from E would be a huuuuge deal. Now I completely lost track of the decks they've released.

On one hand it makes the community grow as more people enjoy the hobby. On the other hand, I gave up collecting new decks because it's impossible to keep up. Even with millions of dollars, I can't even comprehend how I would store everything.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2013, 06:21:36 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
So does anyone else think the custom decks market is oversaturated with new stuff? When I joined the community we had one deck, maybe two, every months. A new release from E would be a huuuuge deal. Now I completely lost track of the decks they've released.

On one hand it makes the community grow as more people enjoy the hobby. On the other hand, I gave up collecting new decks because it's impossible to keep up. Even with millions of dollars, I can't even comprehend how I would store everything.

I agree with you. I mean what's nice is that we don't have to buy all the new releases. I mean I've only purchased maybe five of the most recent releases from this year (not counting the few I back from Kickstarter). But with millions dollars I'd buy plenty and plenty of display cases and frames for decks and uncuts, respectively. :))

« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2013, 07:08:51 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

Thank you... Well said... Not that kickstarter is solely to blame, but it certainly has helped to bastardize my once beloved hobby... I, for one am thinking of consolidating and unloading some of my collection... But the problem there, where there was once a few places to pick up decks, every Tom, Dick & Harry has their own store both here and on United trying to unload their bricks and bricks of worthless (oops, I mean valuable limited edition) decks...

« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2013, 09:38:15 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I just find it so sad.  Ellusionist's originality has gone right out the window, with the baby and the bathwater.  They were the innovators, and now they look like also-rans.  Fathom was "Artifice Wet" (nearly identical courts when you take away the bubble effect), this is "Artifice Ghost", the Limited Decks were "Artifice w/USPC standard faces"...  Even the Sultan Republic decks had the same indices as the LTD. - you could call them "Artifice on the Road to Morocco"...

« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2013, 10:08:52 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I love the art work but I think it should no longer be a custom deck, just say hey guys if these sell we will make more. Don't make a big deal. Also I will say this is the 7th edition right? so blue,red,green,purple,black,white, and 2 of those have borderless edition. I just don't see the point. I like red,blue,and green. I love how they look in different colors but they are taking it to far.

« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2013, 10:29:09 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I love the art work but I think it should no longer be a custom deck, just say hey guys if these sell we will make more. Don't make a big deal. Also I will say this is the 7th edition right? so blue,red,green,purple,black,white, and 2 of those have borderless edition. I just don't see the point. I like red,blue,and green. I love how they look in different colors but they are taking it to far.

I have no idea what you're talking about...  There's been two editions total, with two 1st Edition colors and five 2nd Edition colors.  "It should no longer be a custom deck?"  What does that even mean?  USPC will make this the new standard face or something?  How does one make a deck "no longer custom?"

« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2013, 01:53:40 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Sorry Don, I guess what i mean is 7th version. as in the 7th type of artifice they have sold. and as far as the custom deck comment, they make a big deal out of each one as if its a brand new custom deck. they should say we are now carrying artifice deck:insert color.

« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2013, 08:20:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Sorry Don, I guess what i mean is 7th version. as in the 7th type of artifice they have sold. and as far as the custom deck comment, they make a big deal out of each one as if its a brand new custom deck. they should say we are now carrying artifice deck:insert color.

The "big deal" you're thinking of is hype.  Theory11 used to have the hype machine cranked up to 11, but customers got fed up with it, it had a negative impact on the company's image and they appear to have dialed it back a bit.  Ellusionist is starting to look the same now as T11 did before.  All this buildup and fanfare for a deck that rips off two previous models at the same time?  Bah.  I'm still trying to figure out what they hell they were thinking...

« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2013, 10:07:54 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Fathom was "Artifice Wet" (nearly identical courts when you take away the bubble effect)

I have NO problem with E using and reusing artifice faces on their decks. The artifice court cards are beautiful. I thought it was tastefully used on the fathom deck. You can make the argument that the Fathom design changed the functionality of the cards. However they were unique. In the case of the Tundra, with all the alternative options available to us in custom designs, the deck is useless to me. The Black Ghost concept today belongs on a shelf, not being reapplied to newer decks.

The "big deal" you're thinking of is hype.  Theory11 used to have the hype machine cranked up to 11, but customers got fed up with it, it had a negative impact on the company's image and they appear to have dialed it back a bit.  Ellusionist is starting to look the same now as T11 did before.  All this buildup and fanfare for a deck that rips off two previous models at the same time?  Bah.  I'm still trying to figure out what they hell they were thinking...

I don't agree with this. If simply posting pictures of a product about to be released is cranking of the hype machine, then every company in America is guilty of that. I don't believe E thought we would have such a negative opinion of this design.  They're not marketing a deck that they are ashamed of. They obviously believe in their product and they are going to market it that way. Not every deck has to push the boundaries of design. E simply is giving customers another option. Am I disappointed with that option? Yes. Oh well, I just don't buy it, others will. On to the next design.

What's amazing to me is the way some of these companies design decks like a blind person feeling their way around a room with a walking cane. The problem is they produce decks trying to figure out what we (customer) want. Truth is, E should be designing decks for themselves. What does Brad like? What would Brad use for magic or at a poker game. Most customers don't know what they want until they see it being released by a company. People love the Madison Rounders. Why? It's what Madison likes. It's what Madison would use. It works for us functionally. What works for them is sure to work for us and our needs.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 12:21:47 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2013, 11:21:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
What's amazing to me is the way some of these companies design decks like a blind person feeling their way around a room with a walking cane. The problem is they produce decks trying to figure out what we (customer) want. Truth is, E should be designing decks for themselves. What does Brad like? What would Brad use for magic or at a poker game. Most customers don't know what they want until they see it being released by a company. People love the Madison Rounders. Why? It's what Madison likes. It's what Madison would use. It works for us functionally. What works for them is sure to work for us and our needs.

Now this I agree with.  But what if Brad liked the idea of a Ghost Artifice...?

Functionality should be the most important criteria in a deck, particularly one that's meant for magic, cardistry and poker.  Frills, design quirks and gimmicks are the shell on the M&M candy, functionality is the chocolate inside - without which you don't have much of a deck.

« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2013, 06:40:32 PM »

magimago

No matter how much i love Artifice, seeing the 7th versio of the same deck, feels like ive been eating my fav dish every day, it starts getting boring. They got so much designtalent, its time for a new series to keep customers interested, or at least me.

« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2013, 09:15:36 AM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
They really could have run with the tundra theme; a cold, wintry plain, stark winter colors, cold metallic ink in silver, etc.

I agree with Don. I expected myself to this kind of colors.

True...

Opinions are divided and but all of you are right in one way or another. I will buy a few Tundra Artifice decks because I have all the others and it would be nice to have all 7 decks. E will definitely stop here with this series after receiving a few negative feedback about this deck. It was expected to bring out a white version deck of this Artifice series.

And yes, E is very dedicated to their work; they are a company and must sell to survive in this times. Maybe they will consider all this thoughts in the future (what people said) and they will come back with a cool new deck :)

DM Rounders is nice, simple and I think will be my first option in the future. And my name begins with M, so I have a small advantage from the start  ::) Just kidding :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 10:32:43 AM by mirciusx »

« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2013, 10:07:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
They really could have run with the tundra theme; a cold, wintry plain, stark winter colors, cold metallic ink in silver, etc.

I give up before I started after more than 2000$ spend on cards, most on E shop. I will definitely buy, but not in the near future.

Opinions are divided and somewhat all you're right. I will buy a few decks that I have all the others and it would be nice to have it all. E will definitely stop here after receiving a few negative feedback about this deck, even is somehow beautiful (for me). Was somehow expected to bring out a white version of this series.

And yes, E is very dedicated to their work, even they are a company and they must sell to survive in this times. Maybe they will consider all this thoughts in the future and they will come back with a cool new deck :)

DM Rounders are nice, simple and I think will be my first option in the future. And my name begins with M, so I have a small advantage from the start  ::)

Guys, I don't want to sound rude, but I did not understand a single word he said...not one...  Did any of you?  It strongly resembled English but I'm not entirely certain...  :))

« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2013, 10:33:43 AM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

True...

Opinions are divided and but all of you are right in one way or another. I will buy a few Tundra Artifice decks because I have all the others and it would be nice to have all 7 decks. E will definitely stop here with this series after receiving a few negative feedback about this deck. It was expected to bring out a white version deck of this Artifice series.

And yes, E is very dedicated to their work; they are a company and must sell to survive in this times. Maybe they will consider all this thoughts in the future (what people said) and they will come back with a cool new deck :)

DM Rounders is nice, simple and I think will be my first option in the future. And my name begins with M, so I have a small advantage from the start  ::) Just kidding :)

Don, now it's better?! I am sorry about my English.

« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2013, 11:38:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

True...

Don, now it's better?! I am sorry about my English.

It now makes more sense, yes - thanks.  It's not perfect, but at least I can muddle through it!  :))

« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2013, 12:43:02 PM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I am glad :) You are so funny, you know?! :))

« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2013, 07:54:08 PM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
tomorrow is the release of the artifice tundra !!!

« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2013, 08:34:45 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Ellusionist...
What are you doing....
Please... my wallet...
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2013, 08:46:50 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I get a kick out of how they're giving away freebies for this one - for each BRICK you buy...

There's four hunks of swag.
Artifice iPhone 5 case
Artifice iPhone 4/4S case
"Silver" Luggage Tag
"Silver" Keychain

Buy a brick, get a hunk o' swag.  Limit three hunks.

I tell ya, now that I know I can get a free piece o' plastic to slap on my suitcase, I'm 0.7% more interested in getting a brick of Ellusionist's most lazy deck design to date...  And that's only because I couldn't possibly be LESS interested...

« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2013, 09:41:29 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
If I had the money I would do it for the Iphone case. I am about to get an Iphone.

« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2013, 09:59:55 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
If I had the money I would do it for the Iphone case. I am about to get an Iphone.

...because that would be soooooo much cheaper than simply buying the case...  :))

« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2013, 10:30:01 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I would get the case, and get to sell the decks to my friends. :) and I can't buy it since I am not a black club member. Do you want to get it for me? it would be a great early birthday present. :) lol
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:32:29 PM by John B. »

« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2013, 11:28:14 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
It's still a damn shame every time I think of this deck. The design is just so disappointing. I really was intending to buy this deck as well because it had potential with a stunning back design, sweet jokers, and a good following. If this is the last (which after many colors it should be), it'll be a sad way to end the series.

« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2013, 11:51:47 PM »

twiscold

• Forum Regular
this is, to me, is the most practical artifice in the series. I always love the back design, hated the white border ones, I guess this is the one for everyday use. But creativity and collection wise, yup, 0 interest value.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:53:17 PM by twiscold »

« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2013, 12:58:53 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
this is, to me, is the most practical artifice in the series. I always love the back design, hated the white border ones, I guess this is the one for everyday use. But creativity and collection wise, yup, 0 interest value.

I can see how a white backed one is more practical than the black backed ones (really don't like the black backs with white borders). I still like the white back as it is as well, there's no doubt about that. The apparent lack of creativity that went to the backs makes me not want these on principle. Oh well, if I end up finding these on eBay or something later down the road for cheap I'll pick one up. Or... Maybe not :)

« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2013, 08:24:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It's still a damn shame every time I think of this deck. The design is just so disappointing. I really was intending to buy this deck as well because it had potential with a stunning back design, sweet jokers, and a good following. If this is the last (which after many colors it should be), it'll be a sad way to end the series.

It can't be the last - they haven't done "Artifice Black Hole of Calcutta", the one that cribs from the Black Ghost deck.  Then there's "Artifice Gold Rush", "Artifice Silver Mine", "Artifice Drycleaners", "Artifice Chinese Food", "Artifice Sanitation"..."Artifice Fathers of Inudstry"...  "Artifice Dead Eyes"...  "Artifice Series 1800"...

(...and no, that's no typo...there's a project on KS entitled "Bicycle Fathers of Inudstry"...)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:26:20 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2013, 10:12:34 AM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
And the video of Tundra deck it's out

I will buy a brick of Rounders and another one of Tundra, to get a free Luggage Tag. I don't use a iPhone. Nice case btw.

When I added 12 decks of Tundra in my cart I choose a free Luggage Tag, but in my cart it doesn't seem to have it for free :(
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:15:21 AM by mirciusx »

« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2013, 08:11:59 PM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
I still am failing to see why there is such disappointment with this deck. You were all slobbering in your posts when the first two images emerged, but then when the pips came about... Whoa Nelly! Sure the pips are the same style as the ghost deck, but I'm sure if they opted for silverish pips for all the cards, or even blue pips for diamonds and hearts, everyone would have complained about it being non-practical to use.

Then there's the back design not being creative? How much were you expecting from a recolouring of a deck that was based a fan demand to simply bring a white artifice. There's a bit more than shift in colour than most deck re-colourings anyway. If they opted for a black club artifice approach to the back design, then it most likely would have been a black club only release.

I look at the deck for what it is. An artifice deck where we can have the 1st Edition borders without the worry of chipping, and some practical use for magicians, and some elegance for flourishers. This is a recolour, not a completely new deck and we should all hop off our high horse and stop expecting something so different. Besides, we'd probably complain about it being too different.

« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2013, 10:00:53 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
I still am failing to see why there is such disappointment with this deck. You were all slobbering in your posts when the first two images emerged, but then when the pips came about... Whoa Nelly! Sure the pips are the same style as the ghost deck, but I'm sure if they opted for silverish pips for all the cards, or even blue pips for diamonds and hearts, everyone would have complained about it being non-practical to use.

Then there's the back design not being creative? How much were you expecting from a recolouring of a deck that was based a fan demand to simply bring a white artifice. There's a bit more than shift in colour than most deck re-colourings anyway. If they opted for a black club artifice approach to the back design, then it most likely would have been a black club only release.

I look at the deck for what it is. An artifice deck where we can have the 1st Edition borders without the worry of chipping, and some practical use for magicians, and some elegance for flourishers. This is a recolour, not a completely new deck and we should all hop off our high horse and stop expecting something so different. Besides, we'd probably complain about it being too different.

That's not what a lot of us complaining are complaining about though. There's no doubt it's practical. What's upsetting is the fact that it was lazily done. I'm not eating out of their hand because they try and sell it as something new and original. The only new and original thing we see is a white backed Artifice and that's pushing the definition of "new" because all it is is a color shift.

You can be okay with using the exact basic plan of the Ghost deck's pips and indices but those of us complaining aren't. And if the pips were silverish or blue for where we normally see red, that would not be impractical in the slightest. If they were all silver, yes. But no one suggested that. I honestly was expecting the fronts to be different because they have so much potential to be different.

I look at a deck for what it can offer to my collection and how I can possibly use it if I decide to practice any cardistry or magic. A mashup of preowned decks or preexisting decks brings nothing new in any aspect. It's, quite frankly, lazy and feels like E is thinking we'll buy anything with the word Artifice in it.

« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2013, 11:07:40 PM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
This was a deck based on people asking E if there will be a white artifice. It's a recolouring and no more than that; so we should accept it for what it is and not expect it to be an innovation. I still don't see why they should have done away with the pips as people would probably complain about the pips not being the same too. Sure it's not a groundbreaking and new deck, but then again no decks as of late have been. Do I think E overhypes their decks? Sure. But they sure do put a lot more effort in bringing it to our attention and saying, "hey we have a deck coming your way, here are some pictures of it, thank you for your time."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:09:35 PM by agera94 »

« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2013, 11:11:23 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

It can't be the last - they haven't done "Artifice Black Hole of Calcutta", the one that cribs from the Black Ghost deck.  Then there's "Artifice Gold Rush", "Artifice Silver Mine", "Artifice Drycleaners", "Artifice Chinese Food", "Artifice Sanitation"..."Artifice Fathers of Inudstry"...  "Artifice Dead Eyes"...  "Artifice Series 1800"...

(...and no, that's no typo...there's a project on KS entitled "Bicycle Fathers of Inudstry"...)

Artifice Chinese Food could be really cool.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2013, 11:30:50 PM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran

Artifice Chinese Food could be really cool.

That made me laugh quite loud. How about Artifice Chinatown. Smoke and Mirrors... and Artifice. Artifice Nugget.

« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2013, 12:38:05 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
This was a deck based on people asking E if there will be a white artifice. It's a recolouring and no more than that; so we should accept it for what it is and not expect it to be an innovation. I still don't see why they should have done away with the pips as people would probably complain about the pips not being the same too. Sure it's not a groundbreaking and new deck, but then again no decks as of late have been. Do I think E overhypes their decks? Sure. But they sure do put a lot more effort in bringing it to our attention and saying, "hey we have a deck coming your way, here are some pictures of it, thank you for your time."

I expect it to be innovation because Ellusionist has been innovative in a few of the things they have done. They show they can do it. Plus, if you're gonna put something out for people to buy, shouldn't it be better than copy and pasting two designs together? I don't know about you but if I was designing something to sell, I'd try my best to push each and every single release, no matter what.

On it's own, the deck is decent. Knowing what E can do and how big a following the Artifice decks have, I expected more. That's all. I recognize not every release needs to be groundbreaking. But I also know that if you're gonna release, don't just rehash as make it look as if there was effort put in.

« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2013, 05:21:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I know I wasn't expecting innovation - I was expecting a straight-up deck with a white back, plain and simple.  Aside from the jokers, all of the public releases of Artifice (except purple) have looked much the same from the front - and that's fine.

Bu this ISN'T just a recoloring.  It's a major alteration to remove the red from all of the non-index red pips so that it's really better entitled "Artifice Ghost".  There was no good reason for that and many bad ones.  We've all SEEN Ghost before, it's not a new concept - but why more of it?  If the red pips were ice-blue, that would have been ten times better, especially on a deck with "Tundra" in the name.

As far as I'm concerned, the v2 blue and green are about as good as this deck gets.  Everything that's followed since has had flaws, some greater than others.  This deck came from the "Reese's Peanut Butter Cups" school of design, except they're two great things that don't go great together, like boiled potatoes and grits.

« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2013, 06:07:03 PM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
Don, as usual, I always love reading your input  :D

« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2013, 12:15:06 AM »

magimago

Daniel Madison said on "Revelations" to get some, before they are all gone.
So, is it going to be a limited release??

« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2013, 09:38:28 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:

Thank you... Well said... Not that kickstarter is solely to blame, but it certainly has helped to bastardize my once beloved hobby... I, for one am thinking of consolidating and unloading some of my collection... But the problem there, where there was once a few places to pick up decks, every Tom, Dick & Harry has their own store both here and on United trying to unload their bricks and bricks of worthless (oops, I mean valuable limited edition) decks...

Ayo! I have advice for you!

Unload locally.

Talk to smoke shops, ma & pa shops, use Craigslist, and sell to friends and friends of friends. Hell you can throw a garage sale and sell things.

Yes, you will sell things significantly cheaper. That $10 Ellusionist deck is only worth $5. Plus side is it's hassle-free, you lose nothing on shipping (including time), you pay no fees to anyone, you have zero risk of fraud ("UHH YEAH BRO THE PACKAGE CAME COVERED IN FIRE AND SAURON SO UHH I NEED A REFUND AND I CANT SHIP IT BACK BTW") and you can sell in bulk pretty easily.

I sold a few bricks of E decks to a local smoke shop here that my friend works at. The cards fly off the fucking shelves too. When I get a little more time on my hands, I'm going to try and selling the rest of my collection to these guys.

As of now, I have ~100-200 decks on my book case that I am keeping indefinitely, and nothing more. These decks, I believe, are from the best times of collecting, i.e. 2005-2011. Before the huge boom where we got 25+ new decks each month. Also, vintage shit from Cincinnati and before (I still have your sexy 1940s Bees, rewrapped in Cellophane to prevent any additional wear and tear!).

IMHO, 200 years from now, collectors will pay $500 for human history, and not art decks. Yes, that includes my own deck. While the Vortex is steady at $10-20 per deck, I suspect that within a decade or two, it and all other custom decks will be almost worthless as collector's items. I believe their values will plummet to reflect an average deck of USPCC cards. $2-3 for decent decks, and $4-5 for the best of the best.

Meanwhile, the cost of vintage, pre-Erlanger, official Bicycle, and timeless design decks will continue to rise.

Sorry for the half on-topic half off-topic post.

Basically though, I hope new collectors are buying the decks they want to use, show off and display, rather than the decks they think will have resale value.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2013, 04:03:54 PM »

magimago

Markets always keep changing. Compare it with the gamesindustry in the 80s. When people realized how much money you can make with games, everybody who could write a code, brought out games, making it impossible for consumers to tell good from bad. As a result there were too many games, and too many shitty ones, and the gamesmarket broke down, and it took 20 years for them to come back.

I see that poeple put cards on kickstarter, just copying other peoples successful ideas. When there were less decks, bought anything that came out. But now, i will buy less decks than i used to, and only the ones that i guess fit my style and preferences.