You are Here:
Now Available! -- Bicycle Rosefinch

Author (Read 7086 times)

Re: Now Available! -- Bicycle Rosefinch
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2012, 03:38:57 AM »

LauR

• Elite Member
Is this deck going to be sold only by resellers? Does the designer have a website where he sells them?

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2012, 03:40:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Guys, I have to admit, when I saw these images, I wasn't happy with this deck.  It looks like someone dropped transparent playing cards on some samples in a wallpaper store and used that for the inspiration.  And now it's not just different-colored pips, but half-outline pips?  Why?  It makes no sense.  And having jokers and an Ace of Spades that doesn't match with the rest of the faces is a big turn-off for me.

I'm even considering selling my Pirates.  Two sets, one opened, one sealed.  That's how much I don't like them.

They're better as Linguist put it - to hang on the wall rather than play cards with.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2012, 03:48:48 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Honestly I like most of the decks by Merz more than these. I hate this deck and hopefully the other 2(or was it 3?) decks in the series are nice.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2012, 05:55:09 AM »

cosmicsecret

• Discourse Lover
  • Manipulator
I don't like the design at all.Everything looks so rushed and not well thought of. 10USD for this design...well some people gonna pay that price.
 :karrit:
Currently waiting for those decks being released :
- Seasons [Primavera / Seronda]  / Aether [Vortex] / Bicycle [Actuators] / Mana [Oracle] / The Blue Crown - [Altruism] / Encarded [Tendril]

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2012, 06:04:02 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
I don't like the design at all.Everything looks so rushed and not well thought of. 10USD for this design...well some people gonna pay that price.

I'm not trying to convince you to like this deck, but I don't think it's completely "rushed and not well thought of". It's got custom court cards, jokers and AoS. Regardless of whether you appreciate the design or not, you have to say more work has been put into the deck than many decks out there where only the back is redesigned, or simply put together using clip arts.

As for the $10USD price, I personally think we couldn't blame the designer for it. It's the trend of the custom decks nowadays. Most decks don't even start off low like the old days in $6.

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2012, 11:41:20 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I'm not trying to convince you to like this deck, but I don't think it's completely "rushed and not well thought of". It's got custom court cards, jokers and AoS. Regardless of whether you appreciate the design or not, you have to say more work has been put into the deck than many decks out there where only the back is redesigned, or simply put together using clip arts.

As for the $10USD price, I personally think we couldn't blame the designer for it. It's the trend of the custom decks nowadays. Most decks don't even start off low like the old days in $6.

I will grant you that some work was put into this deck.  But there's a difference between working hard and working smart.

This deck wasn't really designed by someone who is into playing cards, at least based on what I'm seeing.  Having solid indices for black cards but outlined ones for red is not conducive to easy use at the card table, nor is it good for magic.  The face cards are not all that custom - they're standard Bicycle faces with unusual colorations and patterns in them.  Anyone with just a little skill and a fair amount of time could erase sections of a court card and put in those funky patterns.  And having a different, darker color face for the Ace of Spades makes it easily spotted within a shuffled deck.

I understand that this is based on some very old Chinese traditional stories, but they could have been much better executed than this.  These cards are practical for art, maybe as a collector's piece, and possibly for flourishing - and not much else.  I have enough impractical playing cards in my collection, some of which are much better looking that these, and as art they're just not my cup of tea.  Sentinels, Artifice, Infinity - those are art to me and as an added bonus they're actually practical.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 11:53:55 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2012, 12:09:57 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

It wasn't rushed. The points about the design that zero made are correct and we've known about this deck for a while and it was just printed recently.

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2012, 05:53:13 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
The1eyedjack uploaded a review of the Bicycle Rosefinch deck. Now we can actually see what the cards look like! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DMJ-ODwYF6Q

In my opinion, this deck has its ups and its downs. The back design is interesting and very unique... I don't like the center design and that it is a one way back. But I love the designs that are around the center and they look beautiful in a fan with the different colored corners. The number cards are eh... they are creative but I don't love how they look. The court cards on the other hand, look pretty awesome. They look like they have some sort of floral design around them which I think is really cool and I like how it looks.  :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:01:46 PM by MagicAddictz »

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2012, 06:00:47 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Here the review MagicAddictz's talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMJ-ODwYF6Q&list=UUwIEVz_FZqL8xf9ty_-kjpQ&index=1&feature=plcp

And a picture of the cards if some are too lazy to watch. Sorry for the size, it's what I got from The1eyedjack's website.

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2012, 07:59:55 PM »

bmpokerworld

• Elite Member
We now have these in stock.
Thanks!

« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2012, 08:55:07 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
The court cards are beautiful, the back design could've been much better but is still pretty nice, but the number cards look stupid to me. They're different for the sake of being different. And what's with the different colored ace of spades? That is one of the most ridiculous ideas I've ever seen. I wouldn't even use it for flourishing because of that one card sticking out. Better luck next time.
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.