You are Here:
*Special Gold Crown Promotion* - We saw this coming!

Author (Read 11661 times)

Re: *Special Gold Crown Promotion* - We saw this coming!
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 12:34:03 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Will the value of the gold crown decks fall since more people are able to get them?

Sure it will.

Demand will be much less, since a lot of collectors get the gold decks by themselves tonight.

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 12:48:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey Don

Maybe I read it wrong, but I think what he was trying to say is..

The first promotion was if you spent at least $100, you received the collectors box with 5-6 decks.

This time if you spend at least $100, you receive one deck.

Obviously getting 5-6 decks is better than getting one.

What's obviously better about this deal is that it's not limited.  You don't have to scramble and try to be in that first X-amount of people to get it.

CBJ

The collector's box did indeed have five decks in it - but it was something you purchased, whereas with this offer, you buy $100 of whatever you want, the deck comes for free, so you have the stuff AND the deck.  If we pretended for a moment that the Gold Crown in the gift box was free, then each other deck in it cost an average of $25...  That's a lotta cheddar...

And you do raise an awesome point about how you didn't have to race to be one of the first N-hundred buyers.  You just make your purchase at your leisure and your gift comes with it, easy-peasy.  There was a four-hour time limit, but that's a lot better than the handful of seconds it likely took to sell out the fifty gift boxes - I'd wager they were gone within four minutes.

I would take part in this offer but the shipping is in excess of $50 for international and I currently have $120 free cash :S.
Donations anyone   :D ?

You, my friend, should have made arrangements with someone domestic IN ADVANCE...  :))

Will the value of the gold crown decks fall since more people are able to get them?

Phantom/Lalita makes an excellent point about a good number of collectors getting the decks they want tonight.  There will be a good number on eBay for a short while, driving the eBay price on them down, but once that trading's done with, the price will stabilize somewhere probably not as high as it initially was, but higher than you'll see them for the next handful of days/weeks.

In short, if you missed tonight's big promo, you might be able to snag one at a price approaching reasonable on eBay very soon.  Just don't wait because they won't stay on the market in those quantities for long.

Blahahahaha! Wow! Amazing!

That buyer is insane in the membrane...  Only a small number of VINTAGE decks go for those numbers...  Fools, move to the left - OK, now money, move to the right...  There ya go...

Utterfool - sure, you rambled a little, but you expressed many points that I would have liked to earlier about this promo, and perhaps better than I would have anyway.  $100 was a huge amount of money when I was a kid - but that was also back when gas was still around 50 CENTS a gallon (for you metric folks, that's roughly 13 CENTS a LITER)!  A hundred bucks these days is movie night for a family of four (at least in New York, where we pay the highest ticket prices in the country - we're rapidly closing in on the $20-a-head barrier), or date night for two at a quality, non-chain restaurant, or a fair-to-lousy seat at a good play off-Broadway or a bad Broadway play!

I'll grant that people have expenses and the economy is tighter than the spaces between diamond molecules for many, but anyone working in magic or cardistry, or aspiring to do so, uses playing cards a lot.  It's not beyond the pale to get $100 in playing cards in a single purchase if you're going through them fast enough.  And that doesn't take the other items they sell into account...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 12:58:08 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I have to hand it to Randy and HOPC, this release went very smoothly and the deck is arguably the nicest modern deck to be released (up there with the Seasons and Tendril IMO) It is absolutley amazing

People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 01:14:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I have to hand it to Randy and HOPC, this release went very smoothly and the deck is arguably the nicest modern deck to be released (up there with the Seasons and Tendril IMO) It is absolutley amazing

Then by all means, let him know in the topic about his deck!  I'm sure he'd love to hear it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:15:04 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 01:25:05 AM »

Utterfool

• Elite Member
  • " I have nothing to declare except my folly"

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• last.fm:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

Then by all means, let him know in the topic about his deck!  I'm sure he'd love to hear it.

@Don   you can be such a Bitch  ;D ;D :P

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 01:25:32 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

I just realized I posted there, I was confused in the 2 topics regarding tonite and thought my post didnt show up  ::)
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 01:39:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

@Don   you can be such a Bitch  ;D ;D :P

Ah, but to know me is to LOVE me!  :))

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 07:56:09 AM »

DelMagic

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

Quote from: DelMagic on Yesterday at 10:05:01 AM
At least the 1st promotion gave you the whole collector's box for $100 -  5-decks in all, so it was a better deal. It will be interesting to see how many gold decks end up for sale in a few weeks.

from DON:
Wait a sec - you think that of these two deals:
1) Pay $100 and get a box of five decks, including a Gold Crown, or
2) Buy $100 of products and get a Gold Crown FREE
that the 1st deal is BETTER than the second?  If so, I have to make a store fast and get you to be my number one customer!  You can sell the $100 of decks, books or DVDs if you don't want them, and the Gold Crown is 100% FREE aside from shipping...

from DelMagic:
Well, yes I consider the 1st deal far better than the 2nd. What are seeing that I am not? 5-Free Collectible Decks in a Signed/Number Collector's Box vs. 1-Free Collectible Deck. I'll take deal #1 all day at your store if you are offering both.

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 10:29:04 AM »

danktrees

• Elite Member
don - what do you mean when you say that the box was something to be purchased? It was the same as the new promo. If you buy 100 dollars worth of stuff you get it for free. You can't actually buy that collectors box by itself.

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 10:55:24 AM »

jker

• Newcomer
perhaps im still new to here, but why Don need to explain everything related to HOPC/BC stuff? Is he affiliate with them or what? ::)

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 11:26:22 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
perhaps im still new to here, but why Don need to explain everything related to HOPC/BC stuff? Is he affiliate with them or what? ::)
Let's not start another conflict about this, especially since you're a newcomer. Guys, use your LOGICAL thinking skills!
In the box you've got 1 of each color of crown decks (I'm not sure if they're v1 or v2). Let's say they're v1 since they're more valuable. Worth 15$ each. Plus a 20$ Black crown. That 65$ worth of items. So you technically pay at least 35$ dollars for your Gold Crown. And I'm being very generous about the prices. With 10$ v1s and a 15$ black crown, you're paying 55$ for the gold crown. Now, I don't know any of the Blue Crown employees, but you really have to be blind to not see the advantage of their new deal. Now, if you choose not to see it, then that's too bad for you. End of discussion.
PS: that ebay seller, jujuforce, is a member of these forums. He's from France, he had a site called cartes magie or something like that. Does that strike any bells?

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 12:16:49 PM »

danktrees

• Elite Member
Let's not start another conflict about this, especially since you're a newcomer. Guys, use your LOGICAL thinking skills!
In the box you've got 1 of each color of crown decks (I'm not sure if they're v1 or v2). Let's say they're v1 since they're more valuable. Worth 15$ each. Plus a 20$ Black crown. That 65$ worth of items. So you technically pay at least 35$ dollars for your Gold Crown. And I'm being very generous about the prices. With 10$ v1s and a 15$ black crown, you're paying 55$ for the gold crown. Now, I don't know any of the Blue Crown employees, but you really have to be blind to not see the advantage of their new deal. Now, if you choose not to see it, then that's too bad for you. End of discussion.
PS: that ebay seller, jujuforce, is a member of these forums. He's from France, he had a site called cartes magie or something like that. Does that strike any bells?

from the math you just did, the old deal is better. You're getting the gold crown deck for 35-55 bucks whereas with the new deal you're getting it for 100...

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2012, 12:23:01 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
No. Because here you are getting decks for the same price you would get them anyways if you bought them originally + some newly released decks + the free gold crown. And in that brick box were they v1 or v2 crowns?

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2012, 12:26:29 PM »

danktrees

• Elite Member
No. Because here you are getting decks for the same price you would get them anyways if you bought them originally + some newly released decks + the free gold crown. And in that brick box were they v1 or v2 crowns?

why does that matter? With this new promotion you buy 100 dollars worth of stuff and you get a gold crown. In the old promo you buy 100 dollar worth of stuff and you get a gold crown along with 4 other decks. How can this new promo be better?

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2012, 01:19:42 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I guess it depends what you are looking for. In the new promotion you can get 3, 4 bricks of cards and a gold crown free, while in the old one you got 4 decks and the gold crown. Which is better? You can resell those cards you bought in the new promotion for 100$ minimum, and with those 100$, you can easily buy the 3 crown decks and the black crown. And you still have your free gold crown. But since the decks on HOPC available for this sale are all sold out, you can resell them for maybe 150$, buy the 3 crown v1s and the black crown, get your free gold crown, and still have 100$ left to yourself. Now, you tell me which is better.

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2012, 02:11:57 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Need to?  No.  I'm friends with the people at TBC/HOPC.  Got the first Gold Crown as a gift.

Nate - the box was ALL first editions.  You're lowballing the value.

from the math you just did, the old deal is better. You're getting the gold crown deck for 35-55 bucks whereas with the new deal you're getting it for 100...

Actually, in the new deal it's FREE!!!  Bloody hell, people, I hope none of you become economists...

I give up - you guys, the point is moot, the offer's been over for hours, no more Gold Crowns being offered, the Verve Elan Rouge deck is sold out and there's fewer than 300 Ornates left.  If you guys want to circle-jerk over this, have fun - I'll just watch, thanks.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 02:22:15 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2012, 02:13:35 PM »

danktrees

• Elite Member
I guess it depends what you are looking for. In the new promotion you can get 3, 4 bricks of cards and a gold crown free, while in the old one you got 4 decks and the gold crown. Which is better? You can resell those cards you bought in the new promotion for 100$ minimum, and with those 100$, you can easily buy the 3 crown decks and the black crown. And you still have your free gold crown. But since the decks on HOPC available for this sale are all sold out, you can resell them for maybe 150$, buy the 3 crown v1s and the black crown, get your free gold crown, and still have 100$ left to yourself. Now, you tell me which is better.

what are you talking about? In the first promo you buy 100 dollar worth of stuff and you get the box set for FREE. It's a bonus. You don't pay for it. In the new promo you only get a gold crown deck for free.

just to reiterate...since you seem confused, in both instances you can buy whatever you want for 100 dollars and receive a gift. In the first promo the gift is the box set. In the new promo you only get the gold crown deck. How can you even say the new promo is better when your gift is 4 less decks?

whether you can sell the stuff that you spent 100 on in the new promo is a moot point cuz you can do the same in the old promo. You can sell off whatever you spent 100 dollars on at the blue crown and keep the collectors set. Essentially they're both the same promo except the first promo gives you 4 additional decks. I really don't see how this new promo is better than the old one when you get less from it.

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2012, 02:24:31 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

what are you talking about? In the first promo you buy 100 dollar worth of stuff and you get the box set for FREE. It's a bonus. You don't pay for it. In the new promo you only get a gold crown deck for free.

just to reiterate...since you seem confused, in both instances you can buy whatever you want for 100 dollars and receive a gift. In the first promo the gift is the box set. In the new promo you only get the gold crown deck. How can you even say the new promo is better when your gift is 4 less decks?

whether you can sell the stuff that you spent 100 on in the new promo is a moot point cuz you can do the same in the old promo. You can sell off whatever you spent 100 dollars on at the blue crown and keep the collectors set. Essentially they're both the same promo except the first promo gives you 4 additional decks. I really don't see how this new promo is better than the old one when you get less from it.

I must have remembered the first deal wrong - I thought the gift boxes were for sale.

BUT THE POINT IS STILL MOOT, NOW...  No more Gold Crowns being given out...

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2012, 02:31:53 PM »

danktrees

• Elite Member
in the new deal it's FREE!!!  Bloody hell, people, I hope none of you become economists...

I give up - you guys, the point is moot, the offer's been over for hours, no more Gold Crowns being offered, the Verve Elan Rouge deck is sold out and there's fewer than 300 Ornates left.  If you guys want to circle-jerk over this, have fun - I'll just watch, thanks.

they were both PROMOS so they were both FREE. The difference being that the first FREE PROMO you ended up getting 4 EXTRA FREE decks. Which is why the first promo is BETTER and I don't need to be an economist to know that.

and the point here was to determine which promo was better, so the fact that they're both expired does not render it moot as we're not trying to choose to have one promo over the other. This "circle-jerk" occurred because no one seems to understand that they were both FREE PROMOS even though I explained it 3 or 4 different times. But I see from your new post that you understand what I'm trying to explain now, that was the only point I was trying to make.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 02:38:30 PM by danktrees »

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2012, 02:53:02 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I think one of the problems with this release was that it caused the Gold Crown decks to become of a rare gem. Sure, it's still rare a little bit, but not as much as it used to be before. I would be mad too if I found out that a deck I had, with only 50 available, was going to be released for hundreds of others. I felt the same way when Ellusionist re-released their LTD decks. Sure, it's an excellent marketing plan, and it allows other who don't have the deck to own one, but it takes a rough toll on those who already own and cherish the deck

I must have remembered the first deal wrong - I thought the gift boxes were for sale.

Don, danktrees was right, these decks were a promotional item given away free for those who purchased an X amount of money..

TBC posted this on their blog when the set was about to be released:

"The first 50 orders for over $100 starting at 8PM eastern on the 17th will receive one of these amazing gift boxes absolutely free! If you are one of the lucky first 50, you will see the gift box in your cart when you check out. If you do not see the gift box in your cart, you have either spent under $100 or all of the boxes have been claimed. Orders must have at least 1 shippable item to qualify. Shipping costs do NOT count towards the $100, you must have a subtotal higher than $100 to qualify for the free gift."
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2012, 05:13:31 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
Whoops, my bad! I thought the same thing as Don. I take back what I said. Sorry, Danktress!

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2012, 05:41:33 PM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
Second deal is better because you're guaranteed on within the 4 hours of purchase. First deal you  had to be within the first 50 customers of a potential thousand.
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2012, 06:36:38 PM »

DelMagic

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Second deal is better because you're guaranteed on within the 4 hours of purchase. First deal you  had to be within the first 50 customers of a potential thousand.

That doesn't make the 2nd deal better. To compare which is the better deal, let's say they offer them concurrently. Buy $100 worth of magic, cards, etc. and get either of these - your choice:
1. A signed/numbered collector's box with five V1 decks which includes the Gold Crown.
or
2. A Gold Crown deck

Which would you choose? That's the better deal. The likelihood of success in acquiring it doesn't affect the quality of the deal.

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2012, 06:56:11 PM »

walther

Wow this is just silly at this point. Reminds me of the argument over something being Free when you buy something else.

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2012, 07:10:48 PM »

sammyho888

• True Member
It is difficult to determine which one is a better deal. The merchandise available for purchase during each promotion is different. Some people might already possessed every deck in the gift box except for the gold crown, so they don't value the gift box as much as the others. Some people might prefer the second promotion over the first one because the promotion last longer. (4hrs vs 3mins) However, you did get more for participating in the first promotion. (consider the value of the gift solely)