You are Here:
Ellusionist Gold Arcane Deck reward for purchase of over $75!!

Author (Read 4420 times)

Re: Ellusionist Gold Arcane Deck reward for purchase of over $75!!
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 04:20:26 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
@Don... These days, when I look at Ellusionist, I am underwhelmed... I believe the pros and cons of many of these decks have been discussed in the past, but I mean really, the company is trying to live off past glory, and that's okay, I just stated that I'm not one for it... I suppose if I still performed and needed to re-up on some supplies as it was mentioned, I might look differently upon the situation.  As for the LTD, I will say, I like the deck - I'm not sure if it's because of its rarity, but I think it's got a good flavor to it... I just don't care for producing a minuscule amount of the only deck people seem to care about and then force people to buy your other stock in order to get it...  They would have sold boatloads of decks, but no one would have bought their overstock... Just not cool to me... They set a tone in the industry where others follow and it just makes for a poor attitude... I mean look at the company as a whole, they seem to solely rely on saying something is out of stock, and then offering it only when you buy $75 more garbage, and by garbage I mean inconsequential, boring decks that really no one cares about... Sound familiar? (D&D Variety Box?)... Costs around $75 too doesn't it?  I think a deck like the Americana blows away anything coming out of that company since I don't know when... Again, just my opinion... I mean I would like to feel the way I used to about E, but give me  reason to...

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 04:11:56 PM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
@Don... These days, when I look at Ellusionist, I am underwhelmed... I believe the pros and cons of many of these decks have been discussed in the past, but I mean really, the company is trying to live off past glory, and that's okay, I just stated that I'm not one for it... I suppose if I still performed and needed to re-up on some supplies as it was mentioned, I might look differently upon the situation.  As for the LTD, I will say, I like the deck - I'm not sure if it's because of its rarity, but I think it's got a good flavor to it... I just don't care for producing a minuscule amount of the only deck people seem to care about and then force people to buy your other stock in order to get it...  They would have sold boatloads of decks, but no one would have bought their overstock... Just not cool to me... They set a tone in the industry where others follow and it just makes for a poor attitude... I mean look at the company as a whole, they seem to solely rely on saying something is out of stock, and then offering it only when you buy $75 more garbage, and by garbage I mean inconsequential, boring decks that really no one cares about... Sound familiar? (D&D Variety Box?)... Costs around $75 too doesn't it?  I think a deck like the Americana blows away anything coming out of that company since I don't know when... Again, just my opinion... I mean I would like to feel the way I used to about E, but give me  reason to...

You keep talking about Ellusionist like it's a playing card company. You would do well to read their about us Their mention of cards is the last paragraph in the wee blurb at the bottom. Otherwise, they are pretty much clear that they are a magic trick company. It might take you 12 or 13 decks to get to a $75 tier prize, but it doesn't take many magic tricks to get there at all. I don't know if you are just a playing card collector and don't perform magic outside of card tricks, if even that, but pure playing card collectors are rare. Most playing card collectors are magicians first and foremost, and they will spend a great deal of money on the tricks ellusionist has to offer.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:12:25 PM by Linguist_ »
Oh, Lawd!

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 11:30:06 PM »

lordlupus

• Forum Regular

You keep talking about Ellusionist like it's a playing card company. You would do well to read their about us Their mention of cards is the last paragraph in the wee blurb at the bottom. Otherwise, they are pretty much clear that they are a magic trick company. It might take you 12 or 13 decks to get to a $75 tier prize, but it doesn't take many magic tricks to get there at all. I don't know if you are just a playing card collector and don't perform magic outside of card tricks, if even that, but pure playing card collectors are rare. Most playing card collectors are magicians first and foremost, and they will spend a great deal of money on the tricks ellusionist has to offer.

I am a pure playing card collectors. I bought a lot of magic tricks from E last year just to get the free decks. I never bother to learn how to perform the tricks though, just to watch and understand how they work.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 11:34:18 PM by lordlupus »

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 05:49:10 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
@linguist... I don't understand your gripe... Don asked me to elaborate and I did... Am I not entitled to my opinion... Although I don't practice professionally anymore, I would say once a magician, always a magician... As far as my comments, they are from a card collectors point of view, and not a practicing magicians point of view, which I believe I also addressed if you read the response... Anyhow, as I said, I would like to feel the way I used to about E.  I would also like the opportunity to buy a deck like the LTD without having to spend a fortune on other things to get it, or have to resort to eBay...

In addition, I didn't want to bring it up, but since  you're pressing me, I have it from an extremely reliable source that more than one company has employees that sell their "rare" decks on eBay to earn additional income as a bonus or a perk if you will, which to me is pretty $#!TTY... You refuse to sell the decks on your website because they can only be obtained through contests and such, but have no problems selling them for $50 - $100 per deck on eBay and then want to talk about credibility?

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2012, 02:11:59 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Is it really that odd?  No.  Any company that sells a product will often give some of that products to at least some if not all of their employees.  Most of these card companies are really much smaller operations than they appear to be from the outside, so you're only talking about a handful of people.  In hard economic times like this, some people will choose to sell items of worth to make the budget closer to balanced, and there's no arguing that the decks in question aren't of worth.  It's not the company that's making that sale, it's an individual employee in need of cash.  If they choose to sell a gift that was given to them by their employer, they're free to do so.  E doesn't make a single buck on any of those eBay sales so you can't lay the blame at their feet.

You're staring at E strictly from a card collector's point of view.  That's fine.  But their primary mission is to be a magic company first and foremost, and a playing card company second.  They make decisions based on the opinions of experienced magicians, not card collectors.  Assuming the story about the Infinity being planned first to have black borders on the back is true, it doesn't surprise me that they switched, especially after what happened with the release of Artifice v1.  You can complain about it all you want as a collector, but it won't make E become primarily a card company with magic taking the back seat.

As far as the premiums, well - again, magic company first.  In fact, company out to make a profit first.  It's an old, tried and true tactic for a company to offer premiums for purchases of certain items or certain amounts.  Any kid who gets a prize in a cereal box knows this - your parents buy the cereal, you get the prize, period.  There's nothing wrong with the integrity of a company based on the fact that they're using prizes to drum up sales.  As a collector, this may peeve you, but again - magic (and sales) first.

If you're that dissatisfied with how E does business, there's nothing stopping you from going out there and making a company of your own, producing the decks you like and want to see made.  There's no shortage of people chasing that dream and making it a reality.  But once you're doing that - running a business, selling products, keeping the accounting books out of the red - I think you'll see E's point of view a lot more readily than you do now in terms of sales tactics.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/