You are Here:
Deck of the Living Dead

Author (Read 4685 times)

Deck of the Living Dead
« on: February 21, 2012, 02:00:52 AM »

dee1orean

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Having it's second go at getting funding via kickstarter.

I know these are not for everyone but I think they are so quirky I'd really like a set.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2031961868/return-of-the-deck-of-the-living-dead
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:10:35 AM by dee1orean »
I'm the Master of Nonsensical Sense and illogical Logic

Re: Deck of the Living Dead
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 02:02:49 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I dont like that 4 corner pip design on THIS DECK. I do like the 4 corner design on some decks but for these I don`t think it should be used. Also the design isn`t really my "style" so i`m not going to pick any up.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 02:18:02 AM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
I would get these decks but international shipping and the lowest bracket it is $30. Too much for me :L I really like this deck though, the people who made it did a great job :)

To be honest I am getting sick of all these kickstarters that have extortionate prices, a lot of people into cards know how much a deck costs to produce, and we appreciate design times and effort - which is why a deck like tendril and vortext we will happily buy at around $9 a deck because we know a) they are worth it b) the creators aren't in it for money or business (those are perks) but predominantly because they like cards and so you know the deck has passion and effort in it. I appreciate people have to make a living but when you can see the profit margins in front of your face and you think to yourself "I am meant to be helping this guy, without people like me he'd get nothing" it's just off putting. Ah well :)

Once again good design :)
Some Men just want to watch the world burn.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 02:21:56 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I dont like that 4 corner pip design on THIS DECK. I do like the 4 corner design on some decks but for these I don`t think it should be used. Also the design isn`t really my "style" so i`m not going to pick any up.

Do you know the 4 pips is for left handed people?
(Just saying) :)

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 03:01:23 AM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
I like the back pattern but... again, skulls >:( >:( >:(

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 04:26:48 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
i like it .. but i dun really like the 4 index plus they are oversized ..

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 05:19:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I back this last time, and I'm backing it again.  I like this deck.

What I really love is the "Collector" reward package - one of every deck the company's made including this one.  I want to get it twice, actually.  I put in a message to the creator, but I don't imagine he'd have a problem with a paying customer wanting to buy MORE.

Aaron: if you don't like the four-index design, check out the other decks this company's made - Bent Castle Workshop.  This is their first four-index design; the others are US-standard two-index.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 05:20:41 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 08:57:54 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I respect the effort that was put into designing the deck but its nor really my style and its not USPCC so I won't be getting it

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 09:03:30 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
These aren't entirely my style, and just that teensy bit too expensive, but the art is pretty nice and they obviously put a ton of work into it. For that, they get my support.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 03:34:12 PM »

dee1orean

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
I would get these decks but international shipping and the lowest bracket it is $30. Too much for me :L I really like this deck though, the people who made it did a great job :)

To be honest I am getting sick of all these kickstarters that have extortionate prices, a lot of people into cards know how much a deck costs to produce, and we appreciate design times and effort - which is why a deck like tendril and vortext we will happily buy at around $9 a deck because we know a) they are worth it b) the creators aren't in it for money or business (those are perks) but predominantly because they like cards and so you know the deck has passion and effort in it. I appreciate people have to make a living but when you can see the profit margins in front of your face and you think to yourself "I am meant to be helping this guy, without people like me he'd get nothing" it's just off putting. Ah well :)

Once again good design :)

You are kidding right? International shipping at $10 about £7-£8 and you realise you get a set of two decks for your pledge of $20 around £16.

I've ordered lots of items from all over the world and $10 is very cheap from the states, oh you can get it for $4... Untracked and Uninsured, but would you want to risk it?

In your intro thread I asked if you lived in Horsham East Sussex, as I'm just down the road in Eastbourne, If so I was going to suggest we could split shipping on orders from the states.... You never replied.

To be honest I'm getting sick of people moaning about the prices on Kickstarter. Your comment about profits makes you sound like a typical British teen, selfish and self centered, with a "I'm not going to help anyone else" attitude, so hung up on how much things cost.
$8,$9 or $10 for a limited  Unique deck and the chance to help someone create a small business venture to me is great value.
I'll agree about Vortex and Tendril, they are amazing decks, created by very talented designers with a passion for what they create.

To me the real crime is decks like the monarchs, and infinity, Monarchs with their fancy box and disappointing cards and infinity... well, ok I like the infinity but find the back design too "busy" and I hate the Jokers. Substandard decks put out by the big companies and we all fall for the, "Next big thing!" Hype.

That's why I'll always support the smaller companies, even if the decks are more expensive I'm helping a small company succeed in a tough environment.

I back this last time, and I'm backing it again.  I like this deck.

What I really love is the "Collector" reward package - one of every deck the company's made including this one.  I want to get it twice, actually.  I put in a message to the creator, but I don't imagine he'd have a problem with a paying customer wanting to buy MORE.

That's the reward I pledged for, I pledged last time too, really hope they succeed this time, the seem to be doing well, better than the Galvanic anyway, which is disappointing.

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 03:42:47 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Yeah the Collector's package is pretty tempting, but this deck is just not my style. If I had a ton of money I would get some but I have to be picky with all the releases. It is a very well done deck and I can appreciate the art but it's just not my style in the end. Hopefully it succeeds this time though!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »

dee1orean

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Yeah, I know this deck isn't for everyone the art is kind of, love it or hate it, kinda like Marmite!

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 10:36:43 AM »

Linguist_

• Elite Member
Just over a day left on this deck's Kickstarter and it's already at 161% funding. I was stingy and went for the cheapest option to get one set, but those who went for options 3-9/10-3 will get one/two free Pippoglyph decks for free. A nice bonus. But I can pick up the Pippoglyph deck anyway, so I'm not to fussed about missing out.

I'm glad to see this deck is funded this time, and look forward to receiving it some point in the future.
Oh, Lawd!

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 05:08:15 PM »

LeonJL

• Elite Member
  • En ce monde il n'est point de parfaite sagesse...
Backed this project at kickstarter, got the collector's set but probably won't just be playing with these, just for collection mostly.

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 06:05:49 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
13 hours left .. hurry up and go pledge if you haven ..

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 04:18:19 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Wow. I had backed for these, the tendril, the spectrum and the galvanic, but my dad said I had spent too much money on cards lately. So here I am having to remove my pledge from all of the above and not being able to buy the mana deck, or any of CCC's decks. A disappointment, really. If anyone who backed these cards could put a link to this thread in the comments section of the page, it would be cool! Thx,
Nathan

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 05:05:55 PM »

eggman

• Elite Member
Wow. I had backed for these, the tendril, the spectrum and the galvanic, but my dad said I had spent too much money on cards lately. So here I am having to remove my pledge from all of the above and not being able to buy the mana deck, or any of CCC's decks. A disappointment, really. If anyone who backed these cards could put a link to this thread in the comments section of the page, it would be cool! Thx,
Nathan

Sorry to hear you had to cancel your orders. I know that is disappointing when you think you are all set to get something. It is easy to go overboard with any collection and from what I read many of us do. I have recently noticed when I do not get a deck I really wanted my world is not shattered. It sometimes must come down to wants and needs. I am fortunate to not have money issues (at this time at least) and I am able to obtain what I choose but when the bills role in at the end of the month I reflect upon my choices of what I do with my cash. I have recently set a budget of what I will spend a month on my magic and card collecting. It has actually made the hobby more enjoyable as I tend to take more time searching out things and thinking about them versus see it get it. Of all the cards I have my favorite is a white ghost 1st edition. When I first started posting on a card collecting forum (UC) and announced it was a new hobby for me I received a pm from a gentleman who told me had had a deck of cards that was looking for a good home. He requested my address and sent me the cards. I will always have that deck at the top of my collection.
  I am always happy to see these individuals on Kickstarter have success with their decks. A lot of these cards have been from people who have a passion for what they produce. Someone earlier in the thread complained about profits on Kickstarter. Everybody is entitled to make money for what they do (if they can). On the other hand it will probably be the desire for profit and ego from success that start lowering the bar of what we see on kickstarter. I guess that will take care of itself.

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 01:38:23 AM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
@Nathan... Try getting a job... Then perhaps Mom & Dad couldn't tell you what to spend your money on... There are a lot worse things at your age that you could be spending money on... Are you old enough to work?  I hadn't realized you were such a youngster... Someone I used to know used to purchase a giftcard and use it as a credit card (disclaimer - only if it is legal to do so and you are old enough to do so)... They're accepted everywhere Visa / MC are accepted...

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 04:26:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
@Nathan... Try getting a job... Then perhaps Mom & Dad couldn't tell you what to spend your money on... There are a lot worse things at your age that you could be spending money on... Are you old enough to work?  I hadn't realized you were such a youngster... Someone I used to know used to purchase a giftcard and use it as a credit card (disclaimer - only if it is legal to do so and you are old enough to do so)... They're accepted everywhere Visa / MC are accepted...

Most bank debit cards will do the same thing, without the fees involved in using gift cards.  Most Visa or MC gift cards cost more than the card's value.  I always hated that - it was a great idea until the credit card companies decided they needed more filthy lucre than plain old charge fees.

But yeah, Nathan - a job trumps Mom and Dad saying you're spending too much.

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 11:37:21 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

Most bank debit cards will do the same thing, without the fees involved in using gift cards.  Most Visa or MC gift cards cost more than the card's value.  I always hated that - it was a great idea until the credit card companies decided they needed more filthy lucre than plain old charge fees.

Thx for the advice! Definitely will do. Any suggestions (taking into account that I'm turning 14 soon)?

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 01:18:06 PM »

eggman

• Elite Member

Thx for the advice! Definitely will do. Any suggestions (taking into account that I'm turning 14 soon)?
I think for 14 you are doing fine. Keep up with your studies, work will come soon enough and then you can join us, the working class for 40-50 years of misery. Be grateful mom and dad can help you out with your hobby and have understanding when they can not. Do what you can for money, I am sure you can find some little things to do here and there but all good things in all good time. I am glad you have found a positive hobby. At 14 you can begin to decide which way you want to go in life. I am sure you are seeing there are many wrong ways to go. If you can make some cash you will probably appreciate the cards you obtain in a different way. You have many years of, "Limited, buy this now" to deal with.

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 02:27:52 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:

I think for 14 you are doing fine. Keep up with your studies, work will come soon enough and then you can join us, the working class for 40-50 years of misery. Be grateful mom and dad can help you out with your hobby and have understanding when they can not. Do what you can for money, I am sure you can find some little things to do here and there but all good things in all good time. I am glad you have found a positive hobby. At 14 you can begin to decide which way you want to go in life. I am sure you are seeing there are many wrong ways to go. If you can make some cash you will probably appreciate the cards you obtain in a different way. You have many years of, "Limited, buy this now" to deal with.
Thx a lot. You really inspire me :D I wanna be a politician when I grow up. I'm passionated by politics, speech making, public speeking etc. Experienced making speeches in front of 1,000+ people a couple of times, proposed a bill to the California Assembly... I love it.
Ya. Now I need to wait a bit before I can buy some decks...

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 10:37:17 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Movie theater doorman, usher or concessionist; working in a plant nursery; data entry - those are all jobs I held at your age and younger.  Local pizza/restaurant delivery is an option, depending on your community.  Garden chores, now that spring is here.  Washing cars.  Babysitting.  Dog walking.  Give it some thought and I'm sure you'd come up with more.

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 10:54:09 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I am 14 and I make all my money either Reffing hockey or Babysitting. I save 25% of what I make into a savings account and I spend the rest on whatever I want, I agree with the people who talk about the good and bad decisions, I have defainatly seen people make some bad decisions, that is why my Mom and Dad dont mind how much I spend on cards, they say I could be into alot worse stuff. Reffing is ending soon so I am also looking for work, babysitting will not support my obsession for collection. I have looked at working at Save On Foods and some other places, but we will see. My mom and Dad rarely buy me decks though, they say buying my own stuff is a good life lesson ::) :)

Anyway congrats to the creator of the Deck of the living dead for getting funded ;)
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 03:00:36 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts

• YouTube:
I looked into pet sitting, baby sitting, weeding, gardening, walking pets, mowing lawns, cleaning houses and put posters on 15 straight blocks but only got about 7 jobs through the whole year. The problem is mainly that my sister who is 3 years older also does pet, plant and babysitting, and since she is older they would rather hire her than me because she is more responsible. So many don't even try hiring me.