Monarchs AIP Bottles?
« on: January 29, 2012, 01:37:04 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
UPDATE: They are for sale! http://www.theory11.com/gear/monarch-impossible-bottle.php

Yes, a lot of us don't like the Monarchs but you have t admit that the box is beautiful!

Jamie D. Grant tweeted, "Working on a couple of amazing commissions this weekend! Here's one. (Hanging case & poster not included)"

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:19:53 PM by MagicAddictz »

Re: Monarchs AIP Bottles?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 01:43:14 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I would buy if it came in the case but if I was to buy an AIP bottle it wouldnt be with Monarchs.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 01:48:44 AM by Aaron »
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 01:44:36 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
That's a really nice looking cage/AIP bottle!! Not a fan of the cards, but the box is incredible looking!! With this I never have to see the cards  ;) Win, Win situation haha Also that cage really looks good with the monarchs deck in particular

All in all it is a very nice little piece they came up with, although I would never buy it. But kuddos to the artist
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 02:14:05 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
T11 are selling these?

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 02:29:23 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
T11 are selling these?
There is no word on that yet.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 05:12:51 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
i will defintely buy it if it is will the cage 

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 05:59:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I would wager that the Monarchs AIP will become a T11 product.  Who else would commission it, except someone wealthy enough to just have some made for himself?

(And who wants to bet that they "found" some more "gold" Monarchs lying around to go with them?)   ;D

Hey, it worked for David Blaine, right?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 10:07:57 AM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
Am I the only one who doesn't think the AIP Bottles are worth the price the go for? I mean I get the mystique and by god I couldn't do it, but still can't see the justification. I like the monarchs box but my favorite piece of any deck is the cards, even if they are awful handling.
Some Men just want to watch the world burn.

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 10:12:10 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Am I the only one who doesn't think the AIP Bottles are worth the price the go for? I mean I get the mystique and by god I couldn't do it, but still can't see the justification. I like the monarchs box but my favorite piece of any deck is the cards, even if they are awful handling.

I feel exactly the same way. If they were $50 or less, I'd buy one, but the price they are going for is way too expensive in my opinion.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 10:24:45 AM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
Yeah, I agree. I mean I grant it is an awesome piece of art, but I saw a Red Lions AIP go for about 300 on ebay, and I was like wtf? I mean its a nice deck and a glass jar. Far to over rated.

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 10:28:41 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Yeah, I agree. I mean I grant it is an awesome piece of art, but I saw a Red Lions AIP go for about 300 on ebay, and I was like wtf? I mean its a nice deck and a glass jar. Far to over rated.

Really? $300? That's crazy, due to the fact that you can still buy The Red Lions AIP bottle on his site, with two additional decks for $225.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 10:40:04 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
$300 is around the price for AIP bottle red artifice is also around that price

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 10:44:50 AM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
I thought 300 was crazy just in sheer numbers, the guy who bought it should feel like such a mug since DB is still selling them. Oh internet you amuse me.

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 12:32:22 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
It says in the tweet, "(Hanging case & poster not included)"

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 02:03:34 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I would wager that the Monarchs AIP will become a T11 product.  Who else would commission it, except someone wealthy enough to just have some made for himself?

(And who wants to bet that they "found" some more "gold" Monarchs lying around to go with them?)   ;D

Hey, it worked for David Blaine, right?

Man, I sure hope they don't do that!! That would be the stupidest move they could make. They are already on thin ice with many people in the community (for some the ice has already broken haha). "Finding" some gold monarchs would only make it worse for themselves.

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 06:46:16 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I'm not a big fan of these. IMO, the Sentinels were a lot better. Too bad they sold out.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 09:24:01 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I'm not a big fan of these. IMO, the Sentinels were a lot better. Too bad they sold out.
The Sentinels are being printed again, don't worry.

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 09:36:44 PM »

LauR

• Elite Member
The casing on the bottle beautiful as it is realistically hardly added anything to the cost of production. I'm stunned by their price tag of $300, the deck is not even limited.

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 11:05:43 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
The casing on the bottle beautiful as it is realistically hardly added anything to the cost of production. I'm stunned by their price tag of $300, the deck is not even limited.

Well we don't know the price on the AIP bottle yet. It's speculated that it'll be a couple hundred but we can't be sure. Also the cage/casing isn't included.

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 03:23:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
For all of you guys who were knocking the price of AIP bottles...

Hey, it's "anything is possible", not mass-produced junk!

The blasted things are WORKS OF ART.  They take time and patience to make.  They're created by hand, and the glass bottles are authentic vintage glass bottles - that alone makes them worth something!  Can you imagine the amount of time and patience it takes to make a single one of these?  I have a sneaking suspicion as to the method, but regardless - IT AIN'T EASY!

People are all too willing to devalue art.  Art is what makes life worth living.  Every one of you who engages in magic or cardistry CREATES ART!  Imagine setting a certain price for your show and having a conga line of people go by telling you your art isn't worth it, but maybe if it was half the price, or one-third...and not because they didn't like it, but because they just didn't want to spend that much.  They don't see the countless hours you spent practicing, the investment in your art you've made, the skills you had to acquire - all they see are the dollar signs.  Would David Blaine or David Copperfield or Penn & Teller accept that?  Why should you?  You may not be a world-famous magician, of course, but your art still has worth, it has value.

Alright, I've had this rant before, you all know where I stand.  If you don't think it's worth the price, fine - no one's forcing you to buy one.  But remember the value of art, especially when you're offering yours for sale...

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 03:30:53 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I have a sneaking suspicion as to the method, but regardless - IT AIN'T EASY!

The method is probably exactly what you think - As an extra hint, there's a reason most homemade bottles have no cellophane.
I'd love to try making one of those myself, but I can't find suitable bottles anywhere... :-\
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 03:42:50 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I have a pretty good idea of how they're made as well! haha

I agree with what Sabacc said completely!! Saying you don't want to buy something is one thing, but devaluing is another! It's a fine line that we should be wary of

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 05:35:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
OK, here's what I suspect, though I could be completely incorrect.

First of all, there's no tricks with cutting the glass, working with preformed half-bottles, etc.  They're genuine full-blown glass bottles, decades old in most cases.  He uses fairly wide-mouthed bottles, though certainly not wide enough to fit an entire deck.

I've heard that ship-in-a-bottle builders who weren't doing the bottle cheat built their ships a piece at a time, using intricate long-handled tools for doing the assembly work.  I think he does the same thing with the cards.  BTW: ALL the AIPs I've seen photos of have their cellophane intact!

Start with a deck, either sealed or with a spare cellophane seal of the correct size.  Remove the seal if it's on the box, retaining its integrity.  Carefully open the deck, either gently folding back or completely removing the deck seal (if replacement seals are available).  Remove all the cards and open the box bottom, allowing you to flatten the box.

Gently curve the box so as to not leave a crease.  Use tools to insert it into the bottle, then reform it and glue it where needed.  Once the glue is dry, insert the cards one at a time into the open box, using the same gentle curving to get them into the bottle.  Any residual curvature in either the box or the cards becomes unnoticeable/removed as the box fills to capacity.  Apply new decks seal (or reapply old one still half-attached to box).

The trickiest but not impossible part is re-wrapping the box in cellophane, but if a doctor can remove cartilage from inside my knee or bone from my shoulder while leaving a scar smaller than a dime slot, I don't think for a second the tools to do this job don't exist.  Cork it and pretty it up to specifications.  Voila, one AIP bottle.

That how I think it was done.  At the least, it seems the most possible way to do it, given the restrictions of using a non-gimmicked bottle.

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 05:46:40 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
That is exactly what I was thinking.  ;)
I know the bottles we buy from big companies that were commissioned do have the cellophane "intact". By homemade I meant the few attempts I've seen by "amateurs" - the cellophane being obviously the trickiest part of the whole process, some may prefer to not deal with it at all.

As for the seal, it could easily be removed without damaging it and glued back later by softening the glue with heat.

A very hard, time-consuming and potentially extremely frustrating process, but possible nevertheless. Now about getting a hold of those milk bottles...
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 06:06:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I can see where an amateur wouldn't attempt the cellophane.  Just getting one off a deck intact sometimes is challenge enough!

Obtaining the old glass is the real challenge.  He's probably out in dairy country somewhere - his bottles are always old milk bottles, since almost any other kind would be too narrow at the neck.  Score a few dairies with old bottles they no longer use and are willing to part with, and you're in business...

EDIT: with this post, I reach 1,897 board posts - and for the first time, take the place of #1 poster on the boards!  I'm sure MagicAddictz will take it back later today, but I'll probably take from him, back and forth, for a little while.  He's been posting less and I've been posting more.  :))
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:21:27 AM by Good@Sabacc »