You are Here:
Bicycle Deck Error ... an instant collectible?

Author (Read 3151 times)

Bicycle Deck Error ... an instant collectible?
« on: February 12, 2016, 04:11:22 PM »

dkhofmeister

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
I'm new to the Forum but familiar to 52 + Joker veterans ... I'm Dave but some know me as "The Bicycle Guy" ... I'm the one at conventions with a lot of new and custom Bicycle decks!
I just bought some of Bicycle's new release, the Cyclist. Today, I got a call from USPC asking if I wanted to return them because of a printing error. The 10 of diamonds has only 9 diamonds printed on it. (see photo)
What do you think? Hang onto them and sell as collectibles, or send 'em back? I bought a gross (144).

Re: Bicycle Deck Error ... an instant collectible?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 05:44:37 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Hello mr.pokerstud52

Unless USPCC is going to change the reprint somehow... altered tuck, different seal... there would be no way to tell if it's an error deck or not.  If they say they're going to change it, then keep them...if they are going to leave it, send them back

Jay
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 12:26:57 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I'm new to the Forum but familiar to 52 + Joker veterans ... I'm Dave but some know me as "The Bicycle Guy" ... I'm the one at conventions with a lot of new and custom Bicycle decks!
I just bought some of Bicycle's new release, the Cyclist. Today, I got a call from USPC asking if I wanted to return them because of a printing error. The 10 of diamonds has only 9 diamonds printed on it. (see photo)
What do you think? Hang onto them and sell as collectibles, or send 'em back? I bought a gross (144).

There's two schools of thought on that sort of thing.  Some collectors will put a premium on weird mistakes, often things like miscut tucks, wrong deck seals, etc.  But I think more collectors would actually consider it to be not worth as much - the deck in this instance becomes a little less playable.  CBJ points out something important as well - there's no way to tell the difference from a sealed box, not unless USPC decides to make the new printing different somehow.

If you wanted to cater to the misprint-lover corner of the collector market, I'd say keep just a portion of the shipment, perhaps two or three bricks, unless you have a specific customer lined up to buy them and he or she wants more.  Otherwise, just swap the decks for the new ones.

Consider this - remember the weathered version of the Expert Back deck that had the wrong back on it (I think it was the Old Fan Back instead)?  USPC reprinted those and you can easily tell the decks apart from the packaging.  Are you selling those for a premium?  Are they worth a premium to you or anyone you know?  In my experience, they've been selling for about the same price.  A run-of-the-mill collector would probably prefer the corrected version and a non-collector finding them somewhere like Walmart wouldn't likely even realize there was a difference.  Even if there is a price difference, is it enough to make it worth the space in your inventory?  Because if it's only a buck or so a deck and they move slowly, that's stale inventory sitting on your shelves all that time waiting to be sold, which in itself costs money.

BTW: welcome to the forum, glad to have you here!  Drop me a PM if you decide you'd like to contribute an article or take out an ad to either of the club magazines - I edit CARD CULTURE, Judy (HeartQ) runs Clear the Decks and Lee Asher handles advertising.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 02:30:54 PM »

dkhofmeister

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
Thanks to you both. Good points made and taken.
I have asked USPC about their plans for a reprint, when I get an answer, I'll decide which course to take.
I have 24 of the misprinted Experts but have not tried to sell them. You're probably right, not much interest now. Maybe in 50 years? Who knows?
Thanks again for the welcome, good to be here.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 02:31:25 PM by dkhofmeister »

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 11:40:20 AM »

George

• Newcomer
Hi Dave!

I'm glad you mention the error Expert decks.  I've seen different listings mention that they are the error decks, or sell a two-deck set of the Errored and Correct decks.  Could you go into specifics about what the error was?  The listings never elaborate.

Thanks (and welcome to the forums!),
George

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 11:52:29 AM »

dkhofmeister

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
The original decks were called Expert Back but USPC later found that the back they had used was the Old Fan Back. The differences between the backs are very subtle and require very close examination, but they are there and led to USPC re-issuing the decks with the corrected back. The coloring of the tuck case on the re-issued deck is also changed so there can be no mistaking them.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 11:53:53 AM »

George

• Newcomer
Fascinating, thanks for the info!