You are Here:
Custom Deck (KS)

Author (Read 2926 times)

Custom Deck (KS)
« on: August 11, 2014, 10:31:30 PM »

lukeeeeeeee_

Hey guys, i recently decided to start designing a deck of cards. I haven't got a name, but i want the theme of my deck to be molded around divination, hence the "Eye" in the back design. This is my first draft. Hope you guys can advise me on any improvements i can make. I am planning on getting it printed by either the EPCC or LPCC, and then bringing it out on Kickstarter. Thanks for your help!

Re: Custom Deck (KS)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 01:04:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey guys, i recently decided to start designing a deck of cards. I haven't got a name, but i want the theme of my deck to be molded around divination, hence the "Eye" in the back design. This is my first draft. Hope you guys can advise me on any improvements i can make. I am planning on getting it printed by either the EPCC or LPCC, and then bringing it out on Kickstarter. Thanks for your help!

Looks like a decent start - but right now, it's just a card back, not a deck!  Are you planning on using standard faces or custom?  How about the pips, standard or custom?  What about the tuck box?  Did you have any special features in mind for the deck?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 04:15:54 AM »

lukeeeeeeee_

I have contacted both LPCC and EPCC, and am working on the tuck box design. I will have custom pips, but standard court cards, though i will change the colors to gold and burgundy in metallic ink. At 14, i think i still have a lot to learn, so any tips on my deck design or the kickstarter campaign would be helpful. Thanks!

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 04:34:13 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I think you have to be 18 to run a kickstarter project
Collection and Blog - www.magasaki.com
Studio - www.designsharp.co.uk
Blog Facebook - www.facebook.com/magasakicards
Personal Facebook - www.facebook.com/tommajski

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 04:34:22 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 04:39:16 AM »

lukeeeeeeee_

Yea, I'm doing this with a friend who's over 18, so i guess that counts, dosent it?  :P

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 04:50:17 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
It'll be fine as long as the campaign is in their name.

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 04:51:48 AM »

lukeeeeeeee_

Any comments/advice for the design?

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 05:33:21 AM »

Magasaki

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Personally I like the idea of the deck being inspired by divination, though to me, divination coujours images of mystery and revelation. The eye is a good start but the colours are a bit strong for me. However that's not to say a modern take on the subject matter isn't viable. Personally I don't have experience in designing playing cards (though it is something I am looking into) so I wouldn't want to comment too much - there are many more qualified than me on here to do so.

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 05:49:02 AM »

lukeeeeeeee_

So would these colours work better?

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 05:55:25 AM »

lukeeeeeeee_

I recolored it, sticking with the burgundy and gold, but introducing black as well.

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 01:21:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Right now, stop working on the back.  You have a basic idea for the back - maybe it will change, maybe it won't.  Start working on the OTHER elements of your deck's design.  I've said this before - right now, it's just a deck back, period.  You have custom pips in mind, work on them.  What about the tuck box?  You stated you'd use a standard courts - which standard?  There's a few to choose from.

Unless you're making a bog-simple deck for magicians, it's really hard in this market to sell a deck that's just got a custom back.  The pips help make it more unique - but you still must remember the basic concept of the traditional "International" pips.  Stray too far from that design and you'll lose some of your potential market share.

Have you decided on what kind of audience you're shooting for?  It helps to know your market segment if you're working on making a deck you want them to buy.

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 07:09:37 AM »

lukeeeeeeee_

This is the pips, AOS(not really happy with the AOS), and font for numbering. Court cards are either standard EPCC court cards or LPCC court cards, haven't seen them yet, but the court cards will be Burgundy and Gold. I have started working on a concept for the Tuck, will show it here when I'm done. Apart from that, i have a theme for the deck, but no names. Any suggestions? I was thinking about words like "Sage" etc because my deck is based around divination.

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 10:28:26 AM »

DJKroemer

• Facebook:
I agree with Don about finding a true theme to your deck. Right now you have no theme, even if you do have custom backs, pips, AoS, etc. You can obviously direct people at the theme through the tuck design, but if people can't figure out the theme through the cards themselves, you haven't quite hit your mark. Decks won't get funded on KS unless the design is incredible, or they have a very interesting and popular theme (and still have to look decent). I think right now your back looks like a rough idea of what your trying to do, same with the AoS. I would look heavily at other line art back designs and then start cleaning yours up (in Illustrator I hope, not Photoshop). I would also consider doing full custom faces, rather than recoloring of the standards. I don't know about others, but as a designer myself, I can't stand to see people recoloring standards or simply not even messing with standards on custom cards. To me, it always seems like a lack of effort. Put your own flare on them and it would even further push your theme.
Daniel J. Kroemer

Graphic Designer and Newbie Playing Card Designer

IG: forgeknox

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 11:25:58 PM »

lukeeeeeeee_

Noted, i have a feeling i might want to start styling my deck towards a more classic, refined and elegant deck for everyone to enjoy, magicians, cardists, or even the home poker player.

Will take note about the courts, will not change up too much as i still want to respect the classic courts, but i will make a more elegant version of the courts.

So instead of moving towards the theme of divination, i think that at my current level, it would be more beneficial to move towards a more classicaly styled deck.

All advice appreciated. Thanks!

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 06:27:21 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
DJK, excellent suggestions.

I would simply add that the choice of face design will depend on a number of factors.  For example, magicians are very happy to find cool decks with standard (recolored) faces, because their audiences will identify with them more.  If they go custom, it would likely be for a specific audience (for example, the Brazil 2014 deck when entertaining at a soccer viewing party) or it would be a variant of the standard face, still easily recognized as such (like the Artifice faces or Magic Con 2013).

Luke, the font - first, did you notice you misspelled "JOKER" as "JPKER" in one of the two colors?  That's what happens when using a commonly-available but hard-to-read computer font rather than a unique typeface.  If you're planning on using standard faces, you could just as easily use their standard indices.  But if you're making your own with your own lettering, there's a few things you want to consider - most important of which would be ease of readability.  A fancy Germanic calligraphy typeface isn't commonly used on playing card indices because it's really NOT that easy to read.  Imagine trying to read an entire 300-400 page novel printed in that typeface - you'd go blind!

Look at a common pack of Bikes from the corner store.  The indices are uniform in height and width.  The pips are just as wide and about half the height as the letters and numbers.  Some of the numbers have serifs and some don't - this is intentional to make the letters an equal width.  Look at the "10", the only two-character index - it's devoid of serif marks and consists of little more than a stick and an oval, thus it's still the same width as a single-character index.

Does everyone use those design conventions?  Of course not.  People do all kinds of weird things with their designs - but the better designers do it for a reason, usually in some way that complements and blends with the design.  Simply put, the rules of design can be broken, but you'll want to have a good reason for doing it or it will just look out of place.

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 08:35:06 PM »

lukeeeeeeee_

Noted, thanks for your advice! I have taken into consideration what you said, and redesigned the back, pips, AOS and the font for numbering. Still working on court cards, trying to find the right balance between making it different and not shaking it up too much. All advice appreciated!

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 10:02:47 PM »

DJKroemer

• Facebook:
I would steer away from placing the entire background into your AoS design. You'll want all of your line work throughout the deck to be proportionate - it'll be easier on the eyes and look more uniform. Also, it doesn't really flow too well.
Daniel J. Kroemer

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 11:18:54 PM »

lukeeeeeeee_

Sorry, dont really understand what doesnt flow well -the back design or the AOS. What do you recommend i do with the AOS?

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 11:45:11 PM »

DJKroemer

• Facebook:
Sorry - I basically just mean have the design flow naturally through the spade. You designed the back for a rectangle, so design the AoS for a spade. I attached what I mean, it's just a random google search but it demonstrates it well.
Daniel J. Kroemer

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 12:06:46 AM »

lukeeeeeeee_

Alright, thanks for the advice. I will work on this and post it here once i'm done. Cheers!

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 10:59:17 PM »

lukeeeeeeee_

Is this what you meant by saying that the AOS should flow more?

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2014, 11:32:12 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Is this what you meant by saying that the AOS should flow more?

That flows a bit better but you might want to make the center pattern a little less...uh, phallic, I guess...

I know of very few men who'd want to play cards with a deck where the spade on the Ace of Spades looks like it had a stylized image of some guy's junk painted inside of it.  It was probably unintentional, but that's what the end result looks like.

I like your pip design shapes, but that "half-lit" look has been used a lot in the past two years or so.  What would they look like if they were simply filled in solid?  Or if the lighting was from a colored light source - perhaps blue with the black pips and yellow or orange with the red pips?  And the bottom line of the spade looks like it was dropped on as an afterthought, like it doesn't go with the look - perhaps it would look better if you made it the same width as the base of the club pips?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 11:36:26 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 12:45:28 AM »

lukeeeeeeee_

Oh dear you're right, didn't realize the AOS looked like that. Will take note about the pips, all advice appreciated!

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 08:38:39 AM »

lukeeeeeeee_

Does this work better? All advice appreciated!