You are Here:
Superbowl Sunday

Author (Read 1480 times)

Superbowl Sunday
« on: February 02, 2013, 04:44:08 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
With Superbowl XLVII literally just around the corner, this year's Superbowl pits the San Francisco 49er's against the Baltimore Ravens. As a resident of the central-California region, I have my full support towards San Francisco. My former P.E. teacher is after all a retired 49er's player.

So, with that being said, who are you rooting for and who do you think will win this Superbowl.

Although this sport is mainly celebrated in America, I have heard that they do have international telecasts, so international members, who are you rooting for?
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

Re: Superbowl Sunday
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 05:03:45 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I am from Canada, but I love football and watch the superbowl every year.

I am cheering for the 49er's but I think the ravens will come out on top.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 05:24:31 PM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular
I'm torn this year. I have a lot of family in the bay area and we were always 49 fans but one of the starting tight ends for the ravens is a kid who grew up on my street, so I'm thinking I want him to get the ring instead of my family's team, personal loyalty is more important to me than team loyalty.

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 07:40:44 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I kind of want to see the 49's lose just so I can see one of my co-workers cry.  :t11:

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 08:43:12 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I kind of want to see the 49's lose just so I can see one of my co-workers cry.  :t11:

Why would Canadians care? Don't you guys have your own Superbowl equivalent? Like, Lumber Yard Showdown or the IglooBowl?
Forum Founder.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 10:43:23 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:

Why would Canadians care? Don't you guys have your own Superbowl equivalent? Like, Lumber Yard Showdown or the IglooBowl?

Stop being so stereotypical Alex; that's what curling is for.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 12:08:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Stop being so stereotypical Alex; that's what curling is for.

Guys, please - the coughing fits all this laughter produces are getting to be too much to handle...  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 02:15:39 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Oh man, you guys are awesome! We really shouldn't care but we do.. so deal with it.

P.s Curling is awesome.

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 04:35:18 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Oh man, you guys are awesome! We really shouldn't care but we do.. so deal with it.

P.s Curling is awesome.

When I was a kid and the Olympics were on (well, the Winter Olympics), the one sport that stood out most in my mind was curling.  I thought it was strange watching all those people intently sweeping the ice ahead of a huge stone...the sheer determination on their faces...meanwhile, it's basically the strong man's version of winter shuffleboard!  :))

This reminds me of a story from when I was a kid.  My father was taking my two older brothers to a Yankees game at home, and I'm pretty sure they were playing their hated rivals, the Red Sox.  My oldest brother shows up wearing a "Yankees Suck!" T-shirt, cheering for Boston.  My other older brother is cheering for the Yankees, not because he actually cares since he had little interest in sports, but just to piss off my oldest brother, and my father, after a few rounds of beer, was rooting for the Blackbirds...  I imagine they made quite a trio...

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 08:37:14 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Never watched the Superbowl in my life.

I just... don't get the point.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 11:24:17 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

What, you don't like sweaty guys the size of a truck engine block huddling up together in circles to chat?  :))

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 11:32:06 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

I just really like football, The hard hits and the nice passes and runs are very exciting.

But anyway, I have got to say that was one of the best super bowls I have seen. The 108 yard return and power outage and the comeback was awesome.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 11:41:30 PM by Aaron »
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 11:42:20 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

Same thing like asking why one would watch the World Series, NBA Finals, or World Cup: It's the best of the best going at it to determine who is truly the best.

Sadly, the 49er's lost, but it was a close game with 34-31 Ravens.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 03:57:53 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I'd probably watch it and go to the SB parties if it weren't for the weird as hell culture around it. Like, I don't get the whole "my team" thing, or how passionate people get. It's worse in Europe with Soccer, though.

It just baffles me to no end. It's supposed to be entertaining, not life affirming/changing.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 12:47:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'd probably watch it and go to the SB parties if it weren't for the weird as hell culture around it. Like, I don't get the whole "my team" thing, or how passionate people get. It's worse in Europe with Soccer, though.

It just baffles me to no end. It's supposed to be entertaining, not life affirming/changing.

Well, look at your average Joe Sixpack.  Middle class, probably working a dead-end job, graduated high school in many cases but only a few might have an associate's degree or some miscellaneous college credits, even fewer have a bachelor's.  Raising two or three kids, might not have much by way of hobbies because they can't spare the time or the cash.  Probably married young, divorced within ten years, might or might not have remarried.  Went to a high school that had a football team, possibly baseball and basketball as well (hockey on occasion but not often and generally in colder climates where the sport is popular), and if they didn't play for "their team", they at least attended pep rallies and rooted for them.

For this common stereotype, high school was probably the peak of their lives, at least in terms of a general state of happiness or well-being and having a feeling of belonging.  They remember how happy they felt having their "heroic" athletes defend the honor of their school, and they transfer that to a favorite sports team, usually local.  They might have many different teams they root for in different sports - usually there's a cycle of baseball, football, and either hockey or basketball, so at any given time during the year, at least one of their team's sports are in season.

In a strange way, you could compare it to the otaku phenomenon, except that popular sports such as those are considered more socially acceptable.  Go somewhere dress completely or partially in a sports team uniform, you're considered "normal", but go around in a Starfleet uniform, superhero costume or wearing a cosplay outfit, you're considered different - not one of the "team" - and by extension you're someone to be at least wary of, if not act anti-social towards in an active way.  Sports guys obsess about their games and teams like anime fans obsess about their characters and storyline (and perhaps fan service!), or we obsess about playing cards, or a comic book reader acts about their favorite superheroes.

When these sports became established and popular in American culture, there was a lot more general conformity in society.  Breaking with that conformity was always subcultural until around the mid-1970s, when full-blown hedonism became popular.  Before that, yes, there were speakeasies and jazz clubs, then beatniks, followed by hippies - but by the mid-1970s it was all about making yourself happy and to hell with the rest.  This fracturing of the conformity continues to this day - and is coming full circle, as standards of conformity develop within the subcultures!

But there are still enough people who stayed with the old mainstream conformity, who followed their high school teams, then maybe college teams, all the way up to the pros.  The companies behind these franchises do everything in their power to build up that conformity until for some, it's practically cult-like.  This was very easy to accomplish in the days of mass media such as radio and television.  Now, they use the Internet because it's there and practically everyone in the Western world uses it - it's simultaneously their best friend for spreading sports popularity and creating more fan participation, and their worst enemy for providing people with a near-infinite number of outlets for entertainment.

OK, I think I've rambled enough for one night...  :))