You are Here:
NoMad by theory 11 (04/15/15 3pm EST)

Author (Read 7883 times)

Re: NoMad by theory 11 (04/15/15 3pm EST)
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 03:37:44 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Any signs pointing to this being a limited release? Or do you guys think I am safe to pass on it for now?
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2015, 04:12:07 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Most releases of this nature - tie-ins with a restaurant, hotel, etc. - tend to be limited-edition affairs.  However, it's also something they'd advertise, and this deck has no notations anywhere that says "limited edition."  Seeing as how that's a selling point, they don't appear to be a limited edition - at $9.95 a pack with zero bulk discount, they're just priced like it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 04:12:51 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2015, 05:32:05 PM »

Brian M

I have to confess that I don't really understand the "limited" edition thing. 

There seems to be no limit on limited editions. The only thing that would limit them would be for the designers to stop producing new editions and take up quilt-making, or choral singing in Heaven, or something. Or at least they could slow down and do one "limited" edition every year or two. Instead, the successful (not to mention, unsuccessful) designers seem to be producing unending numbers of new deck designs, always in "limited editions", coincidentally limited to more than they can easily sell anyway, with the limit being the minimum number that the printer will print.  Who are they kidding?

If you do somehow miss out on a "limited" edition, just wait. Another will be along in a few days from some other designer.  Limited editions for everybody, including extras for people to resell on e-Bay.  If you really want a particular designer, you probably only have to wait at most half a hear for another "limited" edition from that designer.

When I start seeing limited edition decks of 30, or even 50 examples, then I will regard them as somewhat limited.  But when I see an unending series of new designs in so-called "limited" editions of 2500 or 5000, I have to take the "limited" part with a grain of salt. Or, if I am feeling cynical, as a con.

Meanwhile, I like the look of the Nomad cards, limited or not, and bought a couple of decks.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:08:34 PM by Brian M »

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2015, 07:55:51 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

There seems to be no limit on limited editions. The only thing that would limit them would be for the designers to stop producing new editions and take up quilt-making, or choral singing in Heaven, or something. Or at least they could slow down and do one "limited" edition every year or two. Instead, the successful (not to mention, unsuccessful) designers seem to be producing unending numbers of new deck designs, always in "limited editions", coincidentally limited to more than they can easily sell anyway, with the limit being the minimum number that the printer will print.  Who are they kidding?

If you do somehow miss out on a "limited" edition, just wait. Another will be along in a few days from some other designer.  Limited editions for everybody, including extras for people to resell on e-Bay.  If you really want a particular designer, you probably only have to wait at most half a hear for another "limited" edition from that designer.

When I start seeing limited edition decks of 30, or even 50 examples, then I will regard them as somewhat limited.  But when I see an unending series of new designs in so-called "limited" editions of 2500 or 5000, I have to take the "limited" part with a grain of salt. Or, if I am feeling cynical, as a con.

Meanwhile, I like the look of the Nomad cards, limited or not, and bought a couple of decks.

Hey Brian. Welcome to the forum.

I've always believed that everything has a limit. Could be tomorrow or 200 years from now. Nothing is forever. IMO, using the word "limited" in this case, would be irrelevant without knowing the number it's limited too. For me, limited on its own is an obvious statement.

I love the NoMad project but I passed on the playing cards.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 12:31:50 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 10:26:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Very sage words for a new member - welcome to the forum!

There is an increasing trend toward smaller editions.  For offset printing, the lowest print run done at  high quality you're going to find right now would be about 1,000.  There are printers that use a digital process for printing, but the colors aren't as bright most of the time - a lot of designers will use a company with a digital printer for prototyping and change to a company with an offset printer for mass production.  There's all all those interesting bells and whistles people like adding, with foil this, metallic that, embossing, serially-numbered deck seals, etc.

But, if digital printing is either acceptable for the type of project you're running or goes up a notch in quality, you can have print runs of one.  There are also a small number of artists - VERY SMALL number - making handmade editions of fifty or less for each deck.  Those artists are operating in the rarefied air - they're hardly ever written about here, because they're so highly sought-after and as far from the mass market as you can get, more desired for their artistic values than the playability of the design and usability of the cards.

But back to the point - this does not appear at all to be a limited edition, in the sense that it was not designed to be a limited edition or at a minimum wasn't promoted as such.  Nothing on Earth made by man comes in an unlimited edition, as man has limitations.  But we try to restrict the use of the term to those items specifically created in a finite number, never meant for continual, on-going production.

What do you guys think of the design?

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2015, 11:51:54 AM »

RyanJG

• Newcomer
  • -
There are also a small number of artists - VERY SMALL number - making handmade editions of fifty or less for each deck.  Those artists are operating in the rarefied air - they're hardly ever written about here, because they're so highly sought-after and as far from the mass market as you can get, more desired for their artistic values than the playability of the design and usability of the cards.

Do you have any examples of these? I'm intrigued!
-

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2015, 12:08:04 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
There are also a small number of artists - VERY SMALL number - making handmade editions of fifty or less for each deck.  Those artists are operating in the rarefied air - they're hardly ever written about here, because they're so highly sought-after and as far from the mass market as you can get, more desired for their artistic values than the playability of the design and usability of the cards.

Eleventh Pier is an example of art over handling. Very fun deck, not for playing with, but for playing with. If you know what I mean.  ;)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2015, 01:20:03 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Limited to me, and why I asked initially, means I should buy it now, if I want to have one in my collection, so I don't have to buy it at a marked up price later. Numbers/other numbers on a sticker on the celo are less important than saving a little bit off the top.
There is a deck of hand printed cards made on NY subway tickets you can get purpose made on ETSY for several hundred dollars ($500 I think) I really like them, they are gorgeous, but I can't even fathom paying that much.

As far as the NoMad cards design is concerned I really love them, the tuck especially, it is reminiscent of the Artisan cards for me, despite having very different design elements, which is one of my favorite decks. But I can't praise Chad Michael's designs enough, and really think his work suits playing cards really well, as evidenced by this deck.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2015, 09:16:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I personally don't possess any.  They're scarce by their very nature.

One particular artist often appears in the 52+Joker annual auction.  Search Google for "Elaine Lewis playing cards" and you'll find a lot of hits.  She typically makes her decks in lots of between 20 and 100 copies - most are editions of 50, they're all semi-transformation decks and some are erotic in nature.  The sketching is done by hand, lithographed on card paper, colored by hand and placed in handmade boxes - they're incredibly beautiful.  Typically, when you can even find one on the market, they run in the ballpark of GB£130-150 (US$200-225).  There's one in the current auction for an opening bid of US$165.

Elaine Lewis' decks are really more like pieces of art than a pack of playing cards.