Author (Read 5416 times)

What does your social circle think?
« on: October 10, 2011, 11:38:01 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
What does your family/friends think of your card/magic/cardistry addiction? Do they know? Do they care?

I personally keep this stuff on the down-low from my immediate relatives, but all my friends and my girlfriend are very aware and I'm lucky enough to have them be quite supportive.

From my experience, I have learned that it is best to surround yourself in a supportive environment and close out those that put you down in a non-constructive way.
Forum Founder.

Re: What does your social circle think?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 11:42:29 PM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
Most of my friends don't say anything, i've even gotten a few into cardistry. However, some of my friends look at me and ask why am i wasting my time doing that stupid stuff with cards. i politely respond with, "you're playing a video game right now..."
have you heard the word???

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 11:50:33 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
most think im wasting my time.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 12:37:32 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Awesome question, I am also curious to see what other people social circles are like.

As for me,

Friends I have had for years, and family are the only ones who know I used to practise magic quite a bit. I don't really practise much anymore, I am more of a collector, so with new people I meet I generally will not tell them I used to do magic unless it comes up somehow in a conversation. That being said, people do know I have a card collection, and all of them seem genuinely interested in it. I feel that I still tend to down play the card thing a lot though, mostly because it does not really fit with the other parts of my life and personality. As I have gotten older though, I have become more open with not only my dabbles with playing cards but most areas of my life, probably has something to do with gaining confidence and life experience.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 02:38:00 AM by Curt »

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 12:40:13 AM »

Aron Prins

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
most think im wasting my time.

Weird, i'm encountering the same thing - It's cool what we do right? :)

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 12:54:28 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Yea, I was always told its childish but according to the age area here. most are around my age or older. I feel that when I become a great magician and make a lot of money, then they will wish they supported me.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 01:27:09 AM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
I wonder why people think practicing something like magic or cardistry is a waste of time but yet sports or video games aren't looked at the same way. (im a huge sports fan and im saying that) its jut that if you look at hobbies in the scheme of life they are all pointless really, but if it is something you enjoy then it is absolutely worth doing!

I just dont get it. kids can play HOURS of video games a day and get praised by their friends for being good at it, but if a kid from that same group practiced a sleight for hours people would say he's wasting time. why is something that makes you think and create a waste of time?

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 01:30:11 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I wonder why people think practicing something like magic or cardistry is a waste of time but yet sports or video games aren't looked at the same way. (im a huge sports fan and im saying that) its jut that if you look at hobbies in the scheme of life they are all pointless really, but if it is something you enjoy then it is absolutely worth doing!

I just dont get it. kids can play HOURS of video games a day and get praised by their friends for being good at it, but if a kid from that same group practiced a sleight for hours people would say he's wasting time. why is something that makes you think and create a waste of time?

I know. Also why is it reasonable to buy gear and tickets and food for a season of football, but not to buy a few decks of new standards decks and some magic tricks online. If I had the same support my bro has with his football stuff i might have already had some magic gigs. (sorry for the vent in there.)

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 01:33:34 AM »

Gunshy1

• Discourse Deity

• Twitter:
I by no means was trying to bash sports. I just think its stupid that people have to judge something someone else loves just its not the norm. Can't both sports and magic teach you life lessons?

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 01:35:17 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
yea i was not trying to bash them but what i was saying is people feel sports are with the time, effort and money. while magic is not.

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 02:31:31 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
My friends are really cynical.  Any time I tried to show them a trick or anything, they'd actively try to screw it up (well, some just work out how I did it, and that's cool with me).  My Dad's kinda interested and curious, being a poker player who's never touched a deck worth more than $1.50 in his life up to this point.  My Mum would hate it if she knew hoe much I was spending.

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 03:04:04 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
My friends are really cynical.  Any time I tried to show them a trick or anything, they'd actively try to screw it up (well, some just work out how I did it, and that's cool with me).  My Dad's kinda interested and curious, being a poker player who's never touched a deck worth more than $1.50 in his life up to this point.  My Mum would hate it if she knew hoe much I was spending.
Ahh the cynical crowd. The ones that think magic is for attempting to mess with and interrupt rather than sit back and let the illusion take you in. People don't understand how much better the world is before you know how a magic trick is done. Once you learn, you can't unlearn, and suddenly things are far less magnificent since the answer is never shapeshifting, invisibility cloaks or thousands of miniature jetpacks on your shoes engineered by Nazi scientists in WWII that you managed to procure and now use in your levitation stunt.

Instead, the answers are simple, and extremely boring to non-magicians.

"You mean all you did was lift two cards? That's IT? THAT'S STUPID!"
Forum Founder.

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 06:51:03 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Most of my friends don't think its "cool" that I do magic and collect cards. But my family is supportive of it, I just wish they payed for some of my supplies.

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 07:47:22 AM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
Everyone in my family knows, they just don't know the extent it's gotten to, nor do i want them to know. I wouldn't want them to know becuase 1 of 2 things would always happen, (1. they would always accuse my magic of being "fake" as in all i did was some sleight of hand.)(2. They would most likely buy me crappy decks and expect me to use them all the time when i would rather use a good deck over a crappy one.) My friends just think it's cool whenever i bust out a deck and do a trick, or start doing something random like second dealing or some flourishing.
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 08:54:08 AM »

RF

• Elite Member
My dad always says that I shouldn't buy too much cards, I mean not over 100$ everytime I order new decks, but he is kinda supportive,
in school, most of my friends say that I'm a bit crazy but they also say that they think it's kinda cool, but there are some that know how a double lift "works" and one of them always wants to destroy the trick, even when I just begun with it. He's always shouting when he sees a move he know, it's so annoying -.-
I try to get some of my friends into cardistry, but most of them say they don't want to practice so they don't even try it.
I showed them some of my decks and some were really interested in it. I already brought some people in my family into magic and collecting and I ordered the vortex deck for around 4 other people.

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 08:14:58 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
What does your family/friends think of your card/magic/cardistry addiction? Do they know? Do they care?

I personally keep this stuff on the down-low from my immediate relatives, but all my friends and my girlfriend are very aware and I'm lucky enough to have them be quite supportive.

From my experience, I have learned that it is best to surround yourself in a supportive environment and close out those that put you down in a non-constructive way.

Most of them do not understand what kind of satisfaction we get in collecting cards.
I told them, its 52pieces of art in a single box.
Also its kinda like shoes for girls and cars for boys.
So yeah when i put it that way they kinda nod their heads and say "ah...." but I know they still don't understand.

My grandma thinks it is a complete waste of time and money.

My mum is very respectful of it.

My dad couldn't care less at all. ^_^

My sister acts the same as my dad. But everytime she sees a good deck of cards she kinda wants it but doesn't tell me because she is afraid of being called a copy cat ( i dunno why she'd think that) but yeah.

That is basically it

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 08:49:51 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
The only people that know are my close family and friends (and anyone that comes into my room).

My family knows because I am constantly getting packages in the mail, and my parents mainly know because I always need to borrow somebody's credit card  ;)

My brother thinks its a waste, but I remind him how many videogames he has, and his argument becomes invalid then.

My father thinks its a complete waste and would hate if he ever knew how much I spend on cards.

Everyone else thinks its either cool, or they don't care.

My closest friends know, and are actually really supportive. My friend has actually gotted interested in cards, and is on the discourse (ascaffo), but I don't believe he has any cards yet (though he has pledged for some Vortex decks.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 09:19:10 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Most of my friends think it's cool and like seeing simple flourishes etc.
What I really HATE is when people tell me I should stop buying cards and save up my money.
It'd be the same as telling my sister she should stop dancing, or my gamer friends they should stop buying games... You get the point.
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 11:35:46 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Most of my friends think its weird except for my 2 friends that are magicians and deck collectors. My parents think its a waste of money but they are still supportive. My brother thinks its stupid.

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 12:27:21 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
My friends like my cards and think they are pretty cool. My mom useed to think it was a waste of money to buy so many cards and now she realizes it is a hobby. My Dad likes me to buy decks that I resell for a profit and doesn`t mind me buying other stuff. My grandma loves my magic.
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 12:54:16 PM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
When I was first starting my friends couldn't care less about the stuff I was doing. And I understand why - I wasn't great. I mean I know some of you say things about sports and video games and how that isn't waste of time: that is because you see immediate affects. I mean you play a game for a week and it can be completed - yet a week of solid practice on ONE sleight may just get it down. When I first started people would say things like "I saw this trick where David Blaine merged to cards together" and "OMG in vegas there is this guy who can chop things in half with cards". Realistically I wont be as good as them until I practice for the next twenty years. It's why I am greatful D and D aren't well known outside of magic circles because every time I did a sybil cut or something I would be asked to be as great as them - and its very annoying to keep saying "yeah I can't. I need another ten years of 8 hours a day practice". However now I only have a few tricks that I have focussed on because they either hit hard, or are simple and I can reveal how they are done (it gets people involved). I have one trick I use as a pick up line. Most people are amazed and when I can see someone going to ruin the trick I make them look like an idiot. The other day I had a cut determined through all my cuts and shuffles the card was on the top. So I cut it to the bottom, and turned over the top card. He shut up. Only one person really knows the extent of my collection and she thinks its cool.
Some Men just want to watch the world burn.

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 02:03:45 PM »

dee1orean

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Nothing different to what has already been said really. I seem to be the performing monkey amongst my peers, "Come on, show us a trick!" they don't seem to understand that I prefer flourishing and cuts. they see cards they think card trick. So I know some simple effective tricks, barcode or Joker reveals still seem to amaze them and the trusty Svengali deck goes everywhere with me.

Some people think it's a waste of Money, I collect 1\64 Diecast too and people think that's childish too, it's not like I bash them together like I did when I was six! these are collectors pieces as are most of the cards.

I'm the Master of Nonsensical Sense and illogical Logic

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 02:34:25 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
My friends all know I collect cards. I honestly want people to know because it's part of what makes me who I am. I don't go around advertising it, but I'm open about it.

My family didn't totally get it at first but then then I told them about some of the history of cards and they appreciate it more. I love to surprise them with random playing card facts and whatnot haha. My friends think it's cool and they love it when I bring a cool deck to play a game of cards.

Being able to share what I do with those around me has made collecting that much more fun and it's something that I would never try to minimize or hide.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 04:03:22 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
i know most people tell me i am now over doing it, they were ok when it was a hobby, but now that i want to do magic as my career its officially a dumb thing to everyone i talk to. :(

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 04:46:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
My fiancee is very encouraging about my magic, not so thrilled but still encouraging about my card collecting.  My co-workers have little interest, but others I see at work sometimes enjoy a little show of my skills.  The kids at the hospital for the most part love my performances, and even the parents get into it - apparently there's another magician at the hospital but they like my magic better!  Family: take it or leave it.  Close friends: think it's cool.  My aikido sensei: royal pain in the ass, always trying to poke holes in my tricks just to be the party pooper and claims he's trying to improve my magic by showing me the flaws in it (I don't really perform for him anymore).  David Blaine and Asi Wind thought I was pretty good, considering my level of experience!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/