You are Here:
Not on Ebay...

Author (Read 1688 times)

Not on Ebay...
« on: December 12, 2014, 10:02:46 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
This is a deck of cards you wont find on Ebay.  Or at least I would hope not.... :mindf-ck:

http://calvinayre.com/2014/08/22/business/vietnamese-gambler-caught-cards-marked-radioactive-material/
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

Re: Not on Ebay...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 10:58:30 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I'm gobsmacked by that article. That's what I am, gobsmacked.
 :mindf-ck:
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 03:30:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I've actually heard of this before, surprisingly enough.  As noted, it's not a popular method of cheating, at least not in the US - and that was before our post-9/11 world ushered in the placement of radiation scanners at seaports and airports.  The winnings, no matter how great, clearly don't offset the risks of radiation sickness.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 09:30:55 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Specially if they smuggle the decks, in their pants.  :t11:
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 11:47:19 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
Is that a highlighter in your pocket or have you been cheating at cards again....? Lol  ;D
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 01:12:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Is that a highlighter in your pocket or have you been cheating at cards again....? Lol  ;D

(What?  No smiley for "cringe?")

:(

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 10:07:24 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
Ingenious !!

Couple hundred thou craftily maneuvered on the black for some plutonium.  A dead body here and there, cause you know loose ends.. From there it's just all too easy. Easy life here I come! Break out the pillows Sprout!
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 01:03:17 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Ingenious !!

Couple hundred thou craftily maneuvered on the black for some plutonium.  A dead body here and there, cause you know loose ends.. From there it's just all too easy. Easy life here I come! Break out the pillows Sprout!

I'd wager they're using a beta radiation source.  Radiation comes in alpha, beta and gamma rays.  Alpha waves won't even penetrate the dead skin cells on the surface of one's dermis.  Beta radiation is a bit stronger but can still be stopped by ordinary clothing.  Gamma is the wicked-dangerous stuff, requiring a thick layer of lead for protection.  For marking cards, beta would be the optimal choice - gamma is too dangerous and alpha won't penetrate the paper surrounding the core of a playing card.  For many years, magicians have been slipping "shims" into playing cards - strips of magnetically-affected metal used to allow the cards to be attracted by magnets, such as those found in some rings, watches and vanishing gadgets, all specifically made for magic.  It's not impossible to substitute magnetic shims with beta-radioactive ones.

I used to own a Geiger counter, an old "Civil Defense" model in bright yellow.  The glass tube apparatus used to detect radiation was concealed inside a metal tube, but there was a window in the side with a slide-back cover on it.  Attached to the side of the counter was a sticker, under which was a weak but detectable sample of metal emitting beta radiation.  The counter used the sample to insure that the the detection tube was working - it would trigger the meter when the metal tube's window was opened, but when it was closed, only gamma radiation could get through.  Alpha radiation was too weak to penetrate the glass tube, so it couldn't detect it.

Beta radiation, while not as deadly as gamma, can still do serious harm, as can alpha.  Sunblocks that help prevent exposure to solar radiation say on the bottle that they block "UV-A" and "UV-B" rays, meaning alpha and beta radiation in the ultraviolet range.  Extended exposure results in sunburns, which over time can result in skin cancer.  Your body doesn't easily expel radiation damage; it can last for decades or more, measured in half-lives that exceed most humans' lifespans.  So playing cards shimmed with beta radiation wouldn't be something I'd want to make extended contact with.  I hear that melanomas on one's hands aren't very fashionable this season, or any other for that matter!

Plutonium would't be necessary - it's a bit too strong with the gamma rays.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:07:04 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 03:43:09 PM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
*Something about science and stuff etc...*
Plutonium would't be necessary - it's a bit too strong with the gamma rays.

you can sit this one out then grandpa. Half ass is no ass.  And if Gamma is so bad explain Spider-Man.
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.