Author (Read 6534 times)

Bicycle Titanic (KS)
« on: September 07, 2014, 10:08:16 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Bicycle® Titanic Playing Cards

Coming soon from Robert Tomlinson

Image taken from Bicycle Cards (CBJ) Facebook page.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 12:49:07 AM by Rob Wright »
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

Re: Bicycle Titanic - Coming soon!!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 10:36:18 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Already I love the way Robert has used the shape of the bow of the ship to reflect the shape of the spade, I really appreciate it when creators do this. So far good!

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
How are these going to be released.?  Kickstarter?
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 11:04:31 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
How are these going to be released.?  Kickstarter?

Not sure yet. I've asked the question via facebook, just awaiting on a reply.
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 11:48:51 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Like what I see so far.  We will be seeing this more and more....

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 09:51:28 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Already I love the way Robert has used the shape of the bow of the ship to reflect the shape of the spade, I really appreciate it when creators do this. So far good!

I agree. :) Looking forward to seeing more. Will be interesting to see what he'll do with the theme.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 12:50:35 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 06:05:42 AM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member
We'll be launching on Kickstarter. We're just finishing up a few details. We're also working with legal at USPCC to make sure we're all good with the name. At most we may have to add something to Titanic. We do have permission from the current owners of White Star to use the White Star logo. So maybe we'll have to call the deck White Star Titanic. I'll keep you posted.

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 01:29:43 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
We'll be launching on Kickstarter. We're just finishing up a few details. We're also working with legal at USPCC to make sure we're all good with the name. At most we may have to add something to Titanic. We do have permission from the current owners of White Star to use the White Star logo. So maybe we'll have to call the deck White Star Titanic. I'll keep you posted.

Are they charging you for the use of the trademark?  It is even still registered as their trademark?  In the US, it has no copyright protection at all, as does nothing prior to 1923.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 01:59:55 PM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member
No charge. For the white Star logo I asked just to cover myself. Better safe than sorry. If they said no I just wouldn't have used it. For Titanic (the name) it's more complicated because of the movies, musicals, shirts, etc. I need to make sure I don't infringe upon their uses of the term Titanic.

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 12:50:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
No charge. For the white Star logo I asked just to cover myself. Better safe than sorry. If they said no I just wouldn't have used it. For Titanic (the name) it's more complicated because of the movies, musicals, shirts, etc. I need to make sure I don't infringe upon their uses of the term Titanic.

You might want to add legal fine print that your product and the movie aren't related.  It's the biggest property I can think of with the name attached.  While you're probably clear legally, the last thing you want is for Jim Cameron's lawyers to get trigger-happy.  It would end up being another case of losing even if you win.

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 02:34:51 AM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member
Here's the back. I've also been improving the colors too.

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 03:22:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I'm kind of disappointed that you aren't using a ship's wheel in the back design.

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 08:22:34 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

I think that card back looks beautiful! Love the way the colors work together...=)

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 09:10:45 AM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member
I might not being using the wheel but I am using a lot of elements from the ship in the back design. The two circles were inspired by the glass dome in the grand staircase. and in the center you'll find two anchors from the Titanic.

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 08:37:40 PM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member
Possible second tuck case cover? Life and Death of the Titanic.

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 11:46:06 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
I would suggest skipping the 2nd tuck (life).  Certainly the ship is more memorable due to the tragedy and that death tuck is much more interesting and has more of a spade look.  Although I don't understand tuck swaps so keep that in mind.  Now if it was a different deck then that might be interesting, especially if the death deck was darker and muted, but the life had metallic and gold inks and somehow focused on the grandeur instead of the tragedy.

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 12:24:54 PM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member
I haven't decided what to do yet. I like the death tuck case better myself. But I'm toying around with doing two differnt decks. The death deck would have a court that features 12 that died on the Titanic while the life tuck would have 12 that survived the Titanic.
I'm open to doing two seperate decks but need to realize the cost too. So, I might have the Life deck as a stretch goal. Maybe start out with a tuck swap due to the fact it's cheaper than doing a second print run and aim for a stretch goal to have two different decks.
I don't know, I'm still thinking... maybe go for broke and launch it as two different decks. If it fails funding it's not like I can't modify it and re-launch with a lower goal.

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 02:32:29 PM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member

Getting pics ready for Kickstarter.
i was thinking about doing something unique. There was (if I remember correctly) 2,223 people who were on the titanic (some lived and some died). That number is pretty close to the size of a print run. So I was thnking I might create Boarding Passes for each person who was on the Titanic to go with each deck. So, for each backer who buys a deck they'll get a boarding pass for one of the passengers of Titanic (randomly choosen). They'll only be one boarding pass per person... no duplicates (unless I do two print runs as stated earlier).

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 03:21:41 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
i was thinking about doing something unique. There was (if I remember correctly) 2,223 people who were on the titanic (some lived and some died). That number is pretty close to the size of a print run. So I was thnking I might create Boarding Passes for each person who was on the Titanic to go with each deck. So, for each backer who buys a deck they'll get a boarding pass for one of the passengers of Titanic (randomly choosen). They'll only be one boarding pass per person... no duplicates (unless I do two print runs as stated earlier).

That sounds brilliant.  I assume that means one pass per backer (if buy a brick still a single boarding pass)?  Maybe start out with that, but if the entire total decks sold is less than 2,223 then it could be one per deck.  Also, indicating the fate of your chosen passenger on the pass could be cool too, especially since I know you'll make it visually interesting.

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 01:47:05 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

That sounds brilliant.  I assume that means one pass per backer (if buy a brick still a single boarding pass)?  Maybe start out with that, but if the entire total decks sold is less than 2,223 then it could be one per deck.  Also, indicating the fate of your chosen passenger on the pass could be cool too, especially since I know you'll make it visually interesting.

I was actually thinking the boarding passes are cards that goes together with a single deck. So if someone buys a brick, he should get 12 boarding passes.

I saw in a movie once there is this place somewhere in US talking about the holocaust during WWII. These group of students entering a museum are each handed a card/photo of a Jewish kid, and at the end of the museum, they get to see if the kid they had survived or was killed in the holocaust. Perhaps, if you are considering doing the life and death deck, you could sell all your deck in pairs, show boarding passes for the life deck and indicate if they survived or not in the death deck. Then you deck will really be limited to the exact amount of 2,223, which i believe would be really cool.

I wonder if there is a Jack and Rose boarding pass  :P

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 01:56:01 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

I saw in a movie once there is this place somewhere in US talking about the holocaust during WWII. These group of students entering a museum are each handed a card/photo of a Jewish kid, and at the end of the museum, they get to see if the kid they had survived or was killed in the holocaust. Perhaps, if you are considering doing the life and death deck, you could sell all your deck in pairs, show boarding passes for the life deck and indicate if they survived or not in the death deck. Then you deck will really be limited to the exact amount of 2,223, which i believe would be really cool.

The Holocaust Museum is in Washington D.C, I've been there. They do give you a card at the beginning, and find out at the end as you pointed out. A pretty powerful and emotional place.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 02:45:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I wonder if there is a Jack and Rose boarding pass  :P

Fictional characters were stopped at the boarding platform for using fictional money to buy passes.

;D

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 11:38:47 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
There's a Titanic Museum in Pigeon Forge, TN that also hands out the boarding passes. At the end, you check the list of people who didn't survive to see if your person is there, or survived. It is a pretty interesting idea there, and I believe that backers would find it interesting as well.

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 08:27:15 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Possible second tuck case cover? Life and Death of the Titanic.

Like the 1st one.  I see were you are going.  Did the iceberg hit on the left or right?  Think about a distraction element on the opposite side of the iceberg.  The second pic would be a good swap tuck if you wanted too.   Courts are good...