You are Here:
"(2DDC)" Nine Lives Playing Cards - Poker Size :)

Author (Read 10073 times)

"(2DDC)" Nine Lives Playing Cards - Poker Size :)
« on: July 11, 2015, 02:08:58 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Hello Everyone :)

Spurred on by this timely contest and the truly supportive feedback from you guys here - I am currently working on a Poker size version of my deck, which I would be most excited to enter in the 2nd Annual PCF Deck Design Competition.

About Nine Lives Playing Cards
Inspired by my love of playing cards and tarot, this deck features the royal families (sans Pages) from the tarot deck I illustrated and published in Nov 2013. Here, each character has been redrawn and fitted out in clothes to match their corresponding playing card suit. Through subtly combining suit symbols and colours; my aim has been to create a playable deck, which can be used for games, readings, collecting and enjoying any which way you choose.
  • Colourful & original characters of the Courts
  • Embellished Aces, combining the suit symbolism of tarot (or French suits) and traditional playing cards
  • Traditional style pips with suit symbols I designed for this deck

All artwork is hand drawn and painted by me (using pen & ink and digital paint).
I have the required (standard) license for the Carbonium font - used in text elements (indices and elsewhere).

Poker size will feature:
  • Squared borders on court cards
  • Jacks - I discussed the predicament of indices with the Knights; and in the name of honour and valour at the gaming table - they have agreed to look on the 'J' in a more favourable light for this poker sized deck.
  • Additional detail on some courts to make use of the extra canvas space
  • Slightly larger indices (lettering and the smaller suit symbols)

I am also working on a slightly different back and tuck box design to allow for a subtle (yet connected) variation between the two versions... The Joker (possibly Jokers) will also receive a slight change, mainly due to the fact that my model has grown from kitten to cat in the last few months :)

I welcome your feedback and hope you enjoy :)

I will add more images as I go...

*wave*

Annette

Re: "(2DDC)" Nine Lives Playing Cards - Poker Size :)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 02:25:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The large pips for the courts - spades and diamonds cross the border line, hearts and clubs don't.  They should be consistent.  In fact, consider ditching the border line altogether - it leaves you more space for appreciating the artwork.

Consider making the index values just a wee bit smaller and the index pips just a wee bit larger, with the ultimate goal of making the pips about the same width and half the height of the value numerals and letters.

Speaking of numerals...where are the spot cards?  Card back design?  Tuck box?  We want more!  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 02:01:13 PM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
The large pips for the courts - spades and diamonds cross the border line, hearts and clubs don't.  They should be consistent.  In fact, consider ditching the border line altogether - it leaves you more space for appreciating the artwork.

Consider making the index values just a wee bit smaller and the index pips just a wee bit larger, with the ultimate goal of making the pips about the same width and half the height of the value numerals and letters.

Speaking of numerals...where are the spot cards?  Card back design?  Tuck box?  We want more!  :))

Thanks Don for your speedy feedback :)
I was pondering the issue of consistency (with the larger pips) - thinking at first that 'maybe' as there were other elements crossing the frame border, it could work... but I wasn't sure that I was happy with it. Thank you for pointing it out, prompting me to go back to the drawing board :)

Fresh eyes always help - especially as most designs have more than 'one take' :) I played around with different designs for the border - and have come up with a wider, textured grey border - which I think provides a more subtle frame for the courts.

The images below show changes to border, indices and placement ...

Indices moved up  a little - the 'blue ringed' version is the current one.

Happy to hear your thoughts - and thank you for looking :) Pips, Joker(s) and back are next :)

*wave*
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 02:07:45 PM by NineLives »

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 10:17:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Thanks Don for your speedy feedback :)
I was pondering the issue of consistency (with the larger pips) - thinking at first that 'maybe' as there were other elements crossing the frame border, it could work... but I wasn't sure that I was happy with it. Thank you for pointing it out, prompting me to go back to the drawing board :)

Fresh eyes always help - especially as most designs have more than 'one take' :) I played around with different designs for the border - and have come up with a wider, textured grey border - which I think provides a more subtle frame for the courts.

The images below show changes to border, indices and placement ...

Indices moved up  a little - the 'blue ringed' version is the current one.

Happy to hear your thoughts - and thank you for looking :) Pips, Joker(s) and back are next :)

*wave*

There's still a bit of a difference when comparing the height of the "in-art" pips.  The ones that were once touching the border are now very close to the border, while the others are a bit further from the border.  The inconsistency stands out.  Honestly, just remove the border altogether, and make your pips the same height.  You'll be giving your artwork more room to "breathe" in addition to making the poker deck a little more distinctive compared to the bridge deck.

Good call on moving the indices.  I'd move them even further - you want them as close to the edge of the corner as possible, allowing cards to be held closer together in one's hand.  The further the index is from the corner, the further cards have to be spread in a player's hand for all to remain visible, the greater the risk he'll flash a card or two to an opponent during play.  It's the same reasoning behind making the indices of the same width - if certain indices were wider than others, seeing a player spread his or her cards further apart only in select places of their hand would be a giveaway that one of those cards with the wider index was present in each of those gaps.  Pips in the card you can play around with a little, though people like consistency - but in the index, consistency is vital to solid playability and functionality.

Those are my opinions.  Your mileage may vary!  :))

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 02:10:25 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Great feedback thank you :)

I do want this deck to be playable, and am grateful for your opinion on which aspects matter more in terms of achieving that happy balance between art and use - It's also interesting to learn about, so thank you :)

Latest updates and changes, along with the choice between border or no border...

Number cards:

Back design - I'm leaning towards the one on the right ..

Cheers
Annette :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 11:25:38 AM by NineLives »

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 06:42:12 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Great Work... I am loving this.
I have to say I love the courts without border and back design on the right as well  :D
Back for more

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 11:55:56 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I have to say I love the courts without border and back design on the right as well  :D

Thank you HankMan I'm glad you like :)

After trying different versions, I do think the courts are better without borders....
Will post some more pics soon - and I need to tackle box and joker too :)

Cheers

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 02:48:15 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

After trying different versions, I do think the courts are better without borders....

Cheers

Didn't I tell you?  :))

With art like yours, it's better to take away the boundaries and give it room.

The right back design is I think the nicer of the two, though both are good.  Perhaps the left one could be your "second color" deck!

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 12:23:44 PM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover

Cheers

Didn't I tell you?  :))

With art like yours, it's better to take away the boundaries and give it room.

The right back design is I think the nicer of the two, though both are good.  Perhaps the left one could be your "second color" deck!

Thank you Don, your keen eye and serious knowledge of cards is great, and much appreciated :)
Glad you like the back(s) - I'm going with the right side one for the poker deck - and who knows, maybe a second colour deck down the track ...

I've had a busy day designing (other work), but I'm on track and will add more soon.

cheers :)

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 11:03:36 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Here is a first look at the tuck box, I redesigned the box for the bridge deck, incorporating new colours, text, images, and other elements - to give this box a new look and feel, while still aiming for a visual similarity to allow the decks to 'belong together'.

Hope you like :)

Cheers :)

ETA -- Not 100% done with the bottom/top of the box - a few changes to come ...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 11:55:02 AM by NineLives »

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 11:35:34 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
And all the courts - without borders :)

*wave*

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 12:24:52 PM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
A few tweaks to top and bottom of the box:

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 11:37:19 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the design - the spot cards!

You have the makings of a solid entry for the contest.

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 01:02:35 PM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the design - the spot cards!

You have the makings of a solid entry for the contest.

Thanks so much Don :)

Numbers and Jokers coming next - and then I'll need to make head and tail of it all in time for the official entry :)

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 11:02:16 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Here's a preview of all cards to date - except the Joker(s), which I'm working on now :)

I know it's a bit small to see the detail with so many cards in one image (sorry) - I plan to upload a larger version with my entry :)

Cheers

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 11:53:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Here's a preview of all cards to date - except the Joker(s), which I'm working on now :)

I know it's a bit small to see the detail with so many cards in one image (sorry) - I plan to upload a larger version with my entry :)

Cheers

Remember that, in accordance with the rules, when you're making your official entry in the official topic for entries, all images must be uploaded - linked images aren't permitted.  This is due to how, over time, image links tend to get broken because someone moves or deletes the image.  Uploaded images don't get lost in this manner.

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 11:12:49 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Thanks Don,
I will upload the official ones :)

Completing the deck... here's a preview of the two (signature card) Jokers:

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 03:00:32 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Nice joker  :)
But I am not too sure with the signature stamp..
Back for more

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 06:36:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I think the stamp is a charming touch, really.  Looks a hundred times better than the USPC "guarantee joker!"  It reminds me of the old maker's marks or the old tax stamps - in England, the mark that tax was paid was originally printed right into the Ace of Spades.  On Spanish and Portuguese decks, it's often marked on either the Four of Diamonds or the Four of Hearts, historically - I have a Spanish-made deck with a maker's mark on the Four of Diamonds, meant to replace the tax stamp much like deck seals today in the US replaced the tax stamps issued by the IRS until 1965.

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 10:57:16 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover

Thank you HankMan - I'm glad you like the Joker :)
I'm also curious to hear more about your thoughts on the signature - Since joining this forum I've learnt a whole heap of new and interesting things about playing cards, so please keep the feedback coming as it truly helps an artist wanting to make usable cards :)

I chose to make the joker the 'signature card' (in stead of say the Ace of Spades or Ace of Hearts), because it represents the deck in the form of artist (most cartoony) and namesake cat (up-sized from kitten to cat in this poker size version). I read somewhere that sometimes the joker is used to identify a deck (though this may be more with antique or classic decks?) ...

I think the stamp is a charming touch, really.  Looks a hundred times better than the USPC "guarantee joker!"  It reminds me of the old maker's marks or the old tax stamps - in England, the mark that tax was paid was originally printed right into the Ace of Spades.  On Spanish and Portuguese decks, it's often marked on either the Four of Diamonds or the Four of Hearts, historically - I have a Spanish-made deck with a maker's mark on the Four of Diamonds, meant to replace the tax stamp much like deck seals today in the US replaced the tax stamps issued by the IRS until 1965.

Thanks Don :)
That's interesting, I hadn't thought of the deck seal as a replacement for the tax stamp or maker's mark... I like those old (and some new) stamps :) Some have fascinating stories to tell - and then there's that sense of connection to the hand that made the article (ceramic, silver, paper, leather...). I've seen many decks with the stamp on Ace of Hearts or Spades, but never on 4 of Hearts of Diamonds - I'm sure there's a story or reason behind why they chose that card :)

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 11:32:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Thanks Don :)
That's interesting, I hadn't thought of the deck seal as a replacement for the tax stamp or maker's mark... I like those old (and some new) stamps :) Some have fascinating stories to tell - and then there's that sense of connection to the hand that made the article (ceramic, silver, paper, leather...). I've seen many decks with the stamp on Ace of Hearts or Spades, but never on 4 of Hearts of Diamonds - I'm sure there's a story or reason behind why they chose that card :)

There's been a few cases in history, particularly in the early days of card making in Europe, when cards were often made by hand, where you might find a maker's mark made somewhere on the deck, in much the same way that an artist signs a painting.

The cards we know today as the International Standard originated in Rouen, France.  The Parisian design was more popular with the French populace - the Rouen design was made largely for export, and much of those exports went to England, as Rouen is on the coast of the English Channel.

Elaborate Aces of Spades started in England, I think.  The British started copying the decks that were made in Rouen, making gradual alterations to the design over time, including the fancy Ace of Spades - they functioned as identification of the manufacturer as well as proof that the duty (tax) was paid.  Old English decks actually say right on the Ace of Spades how much duty was paid (I've seen one marked "two pence").

In the US, the taxes paid on cards were proven in the form of stamps purchased from the government - but we kept the tradition from the Brits of having elaborate Aces of Spades.  The stamps were originally made by the Internal Revenue Service, though in time they gave permission to individual manufacturers to make their own stamps - as long as the taxes were paid.  Additionally, some states also charged taxes and used stamps to prove they were paid - Alabama is the last state in the country to continue with a separate tax beyond "sales tax" specifically for playing cards, and they issue state revenue tax stamps.

In 1965, the tax on playing cards was repealed, but by this time, people had become accustomed over several decades to seeing tax stamps on their decks - before cellophane, they kept the deck sealed shut, insuring your deck was brand new and hadn't been tampered with.  Most manufacturers still in operation at the time opted to continue using a deck seal in the form of a company stamp (in essence, it was a type of maker's mark, used to insure the product was brand new).  The moisture-activated adhesive stamps eventually gave way to stickers - and in some cases, no seal at all.

In the early days of the current wave of modern custom deck collecting, most companies making new card designs got the standard deck seals offered by the manufacturer.  After a handful of years, the trend changed to be a deck without a seal - people often peeled the sticker off anyway, feeling that it marred the great tuck box art.  This trend nearly completely died when manufacturers started offering custom-designed seals for those willing to pay for them - today, that's how most of the most popular new custom decks get packaged.

As far as the tax stamp being on the 4 of Diamonds in Spain...  I guess the 4 of Diamonds was chosen because it was less conspicuous.  There's also the fact that often the decks found in the International Standard design were imported (remember, Spain had its own traditional deck design, a 48 card non-indexed deck still printed and played with to this day).  That meant the Ace of Spades was already "spoken for," as it were, so a different card had to be chosen for the import duty.  If you check out World of Playing Cards (wopc.co.uk) you can find some examples of this - I remember a photo of an imported US-made USPC deck sold in Argentina, displayed with a tax stamp on the 4 of Diamonds from the Argentinian government proving the duty was paid.  Imagine being the poor tax clerk at the Customs Office having to crack open every single imported deck, digging out the 4 of Diamonds, slapping a rubber stamp on it, then returning the cards and resealing the pack...drudgery...

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 01:21:40 PM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
There's been a few cases in history, particularly in the early days of card making in Europe, when cards were often made by hand, where you might find a maker's mark made somewhere on the deck, in much the same way that an artist signs a painting.

The cards we know today as the International Standard originated in Rouen, France.  The Parisian design was more popular with the French populace - the Rouen design was made largely for export, and much of those exports went to England, as Rouen is on the coast of the English Channel.

Elaborate Aces of Spades started in England, I think.  The British started copying the decks that were made in Rouen, making gradual alterations to the design over time, including the fancy Ace of Spades - they functioned as identification of the manufacturer as well as proof that the duty (tax) was paid.  Old English decks actually say right on the Ace of Spades how much duty was paid (I've seen one marked "two pence").

In the US, the taxes paid on cards were proven in the form of stamps purchased from the government - but we kept the tradition from the Brits of having elaborate Aces of Spades.  The stamps were originally made by the Internal Revenue Service, though in time they gave permission to individual manufacturers to make their own stamps - as long as the taxes were paid.  Additionally, some states also charged taxes and used stamps to prove they were paid - Alabama is the last state in the country to continue with a separate tax beyond "sales tax" specifically for playing cards, and they issue state revenue tax stamps.

In 1965, the tax on playing cards was repealed, but by this time, people had become accustomed over several decades to seeing tax stamps on their decks - before cellophane, they kept the deck sealed shut, insuring your deck was brand new and hadn't been tampered with.  Most manufacturers still in operation at the time opted to continue using a deck seal in the form of a company stamp (in essence, it was a type of maker's mark, used to insure the product was brand new).  The moisture-activated adhesive stamps eventually gave way to stickers - and in some cases, no seal at all.

In the early days of the current wave of modern custom deck collecting, most companies making new card designs got the standard deck seals offered by the manufacturer.  After a handful of years, the trend changed to be a deck without a seal - people often peeled the sticker off anyway, feeling that it marred the great tuck box art.  This trend nearly completely died when manufacturers started offering custom-designed seals for those willing to pay for them - today, that's how most of the most popular new custom decks get packaged.

As far as the tax stamp being on the 4 of Diamonds in Spain...  I guess the 4 of Diamonds was chosen because it was less conspicuous.  There's also the fact that often the decks found in the International Standard design were imported (remember, Spain had its own traditional deck design, a 48 card non-indexed deck still printed and played with to this day).  That meant the Ace of Spades was already "spoken for," as it were, so a different card had to be chosen for the import duty.  If you check out World of Playing Cards (wopc.co.uk) you can find some examples of this - I remember a photo of an imported US-made USPC deck sold in Argentina, displayed with a tax stamp on the 4 of Diamonds from the Argentinian government proving the duty was paid.  Imagine being the poor tax clerk at the Customs Office having to crack open every single imported deck, digging out the 4 of Diamonds, slapping a rubber stamp on it, then returning the cards and resealing the pack...drudgery...

Wow! Thank you - what a fascinating read :)
I have wondered where the elaborate Ace of Spades came from and you managed to answer a whole heap of things I've sort of thought about but not quite formulated as questions... I went to look up some more on the gambling tax (which I had read a little about) and ended up on houseofplayingcards.com - to discover that it was pretty serious stuff, especially as one guy was sentenced to death for forging the Ace of Spades! I'm guessing the 'real' card was still held in customs and he decided to evade the tax by making his own Ace of Spades (ouch). 2 pence marked on an Ace of Spades would be a thrill to find though :)

I do see how deck seals could get in the way of the box design (especially if they are stock standard, one size fits all) - though with modern custom seals, they could/would form part of the design (at least you hope so) :)

Ah the 4 of Diamonds :) it all makes sense once you know the Ace of Spades was spoken for - though what a nightmare (for said tax clerk) to have to open each deck & rummage through cards, just to put a stamp on the 4 of Diamonds ... You'd wonder what state the decks would arrive in (if tax clerk was having a bad day) ...

With entry time getting closer - I do want to say thank you for the support and feedback on making my Nine Lives deck poker size *bow* :)
It's been a most fascinating journey and regardless of outcome I'm really happy to have found this corner of the web, and to have been given the opportunity and feedback to push my design in a more playable direction (something I really want to pursue in future decks) At this stage, I haven't had time to think beyond the contest, in terms of printing or funding - taking things one step at the time... Though one way or other I'd like to see this deck become a reality :)

Here's a little promo banner ...

*wave*

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 05:38:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I just realized I've been asleep at the switch!  I was supposed to open the contest entries about 25.5 hours ago!  I'd better get on that right away.

Fix your banner: voting begins on 05 Aug and ends 12 Aug, at 04:00 UTC each day (which is midnight New York time and 9pm the previous night Los Angeles time).

Entries are NOW BEING ACCEPTED!
The Official Entry Topic of the 2nd Annual PCF Deck Design Competition!

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 07:12:09 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I just realized I've been asleep at the switch!  I was supposed to open the contest entries about 25.5 hours ago!  I'd better get on that right away.

Fix your banner: voting begins on 05 Aug and ends 12 Aug, at 04:00 UTC each day (which is midnight New York time and 9pm the previous night Los Angeles time).

Opps... thanks for that, keeping track of dates and times is hard at the best of times ;) I have fixed the banner (should show once the page is refreshed) :)

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 02:40:44 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Opps... thanks for that, keeping track of dates and times is hard at the best of times ;) I have fixed the banner (should show once the page is refreshed) :)

Remember the time zone differences.  12 Aug 04:00 UTC isn't the 12th of August in Los Angeles - it's 9pm the night before.  A prospective voter in LA who thinks he or she has until the 12th to vote in the US will be disappointed.  I suggest you customize the banner to account for the time zone differences - either note that the times are UTC or customize them to a specific time zone (such as Pacific Daylight Time or Eastern Daylight Time in the US).  Actually, I'd avoid Eastern/EDT because it lands on midnight - and in the minds of some chronologically-challenged people, midnight is the end of the day, not the beginning.

I use UTC solely because of two things - 1) we have a global audience here and 2) it's unaffected by "summer time" or Daylight Saving Time.  I figured if it's good enough for shortwave radio broadcasters and the US Navy (who refer to it as "Zulu time" because they've alphabetized all the time zones and UTC/GMT is the "Z", used as the standard for the other zones) then it's fine for me...