You are Here:
'DEEP' a Merfolk themed deck

Author (Read 1298 times)

'DEEP' a Merfolk themed deck
« on: July 11, 2014, 05:44:51 AM »

Galen Ihlenfeldt

• Newcomer
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to peek at my post, and my project!

This is a project I've been working on myself, inspired by the mystery and hypnotizing beauty of mermaids and other types of merfolk.
Each of the pips are made of different arrangements of seashells.  Each suit will have a specific "race" of merfolk represented on it's court cards.
This is both my first big solo project, and (hopefully) my first upcoming KS project. 

I would love to hear what you think about this deck concept, and if it's something you would be interested in.  Also very open to constructive criticism.

Thank you for looking!
~Galen
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 06:18:19 AM by Galen Ihlenfeldt »

Re: 'DEEP' a Merfolk themed deck
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 10:47:45 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Galen, beautiful cards. These look really nice. The only thing I notice- dark areas on cards usually get muddied when printed. Example- the opening on the Diamond shell. When printed would most likely just look black. All definition would be lost. Some of the real designers here could probably explain better than me.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 05:17:17 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Well, Rob, the issue you're referring to happens when there's inadequate contrast.  It's usually at its worst when you're looking at dark colors on a black background - the whole thing turns to mud.  I'm sure that lightening up the art would help, assuming it is indeed an issue.  You can use a company like Make Playing Cards or even Zazzle to create a cheaper prototype deck than you'd ever get from USPC.  The USPC test prints also will be close to the finished product, but not exactly the same due to the difference in the process used to create them - test prints come off a really big computer printer while the real deal comes off of an offset press.

Just noticed I neglected to mention I really like this design!  Very unique in execution and the spot cards really tie into the theme.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:18:10 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 10:17:40 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Well, Rob, the issue you're referring to happens when there's inadequate contrast.  It's usually at its worst when you're looking at dark colors on a black background - the whole thing turns to mud.  I'm sure that lightening up the art would help, assuming it is indeed an issue.  You can use a company like Make Playing Cards or even Zazzle to create a cheaper prototype deck than you'd ever get from USPC.  The USPC test prints also will be close to the finished product, but not exactly the same due to the difference in the process used to create them - test prints come off a really big computer printer while the real deal comes off of an offset press.

Just noticed I neglected to mention I really like this design!  Very unique in execution and the spot cards really tie into the theme.

It might be just fine. There's a lot of nice detail work, and some of it pretty dark. I'm would hate to see that detail disappear. Having a test print from MPC might be a good idea. 
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 10:31:31 PM »

Mada257

As I have no real design skill or credibility, I will keep this short.

I really like this design! The colors are some of my favorites which makes it tough to pass on automatically. While mermaids aren't so much my thing, the theme is so well portrayed throughout the deck that I would buy it just for that now! Combining the two, I think you have a winner. Looking forward to watching this thread and seeing the good advice the rest of these guys can bestow.
Best of luck!

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 11:42:23 PM »

Galen Ihlenfeldt

• Newcomer
thank you for responding!  Definitely something to think about, and I'll be discussing with USPCC soon when I submit my first batch of artwork to them... when the time comes to discuss color matching, I'll make sure they think it'll go properly, or I'll make the necessary changes.  But seriously, thank you guys! 
I am ridiculously nervous and excited with this project, and I have no idea what to expect, but am taking the plunge, so to speak (and if you'll forgive the pun) and giving it a shot :)

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 01:10:31 PM »

Galen Ihlenfeldt

• Newcomer
I know I've been missing in action for a bit, but I've been hard at work on more of the court cards for this deck.  I'd like to share one of them with you: the king of hearts, aka the suicide king :)

If all goes well, this project will launch this Monday on kickstarter!  All that is left to do is finish up the court cards and the jokers/gaffs and make a couple of minor changes with some smaller details.  I've already obtained legal approval from USPCC and I couldn't be more excited and nervous all at once!  It's a little nerve wracking being the new kid on the block... but I think I've done enough research on the project to make it a good one. 

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 01:48:19 PM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
To put it plain and simple.... I would back this deck..!!  :bosswalk:
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia