You are Here:
(DDDC) Symphony No.1 Deck

Author (Read 6004 times)

(DDDC) Symphony No.1 Deck
« on: June 18, 2014, 01:06:19 AM »

adhex5150

• True Member
Hello everyone,
This is my design idea for Discourse Deck Design Contest.

Symphony No.01 Playing Cards.
This is a full custom deck inspired by the Greatest Composers of all time, from the Baroque, Classical, and Romantic Period.
The courts and jokers are digital drawing. All design are vector artwork with CMYK color.

Let me know what you think  :D
Thank you
- Ade

Preview court cards are :
J ♠ - Johannes Brahms
Q ♦ - Clara Schumann
K ♣ - Johann Sebatian Bach

Back Design

Court Card & Ace of Spade

Number Cards

Front & Back Tuckcase
"Behind every great King there's a great Queen"
www.threeofclubs.net
Aquila Playing Card : https://www.facebook.com/AquilaPlayingCards

Re: (DDDC) Symphony No.1 Deck
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 05:07:41 AM »

ivan

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Wow... that looks beautiful Ade!

Recent Post:
+ Designers: Realising the Vision with Lotrek of Venexiana Playing Cards fb.me/6AdE6sqej
+ Analytics: Project by Numbers- Federal 52 Pt II http://fb.me/2OyvCJgXU
+ Kickstarter: 7 Questions with Lorenzo Gaggiotti of Requiem Playing Cards http://fb.me/WKgT2S0e

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 07:00:41 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Wow Ade, that's a great deck, I wonder if the number cards can be customized further without ruining the integrity. Perhaps the pips can be a bit more musical, or some sheet music background? But well done and Congratulations on completing the deck I know a few musical people who would really like this. 

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 08:52:03 AM »

Leif

• Elite Member
Awesome looking deck! Great work there.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 11:23:16 AM »

adhex5150

• True Member
Wow... that looks beautiful Ade!

Awesome looking deck! Great work there.

Wow Ade, that's a great deck, I wonder if the number cards can be customized further without ruining the integrity. Perhaps the pips can be a bit more musical, or some sheet music background? But well done and Congratulations on completing the deck I know a few musical people who would really like this.

Thank you all;)

@Rose : I want the number cards looks clean, so I decided only customized the pips layout without a background and keep the pips simple  :D
www.threeofclubs.net

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 10:13:42 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It's a beautiful deck - make sure you've got EVERYTHING you need for the entry before you post it in the contest topic.  I'll gladly look it over for you when you're ready.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 12:17:41 AM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
I love the tuck, the pips, and the back. I'm not completely sold on the courts though. They seem quite "rough". But great deck overall!  :D

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 08:05:36 AM »

adhex5150

• True Member
I love the tuck, the pips, and the back. I'm not completely sold on the courts though. They seem quite "rough". But great deck overall!  :D

Thanks Yasi, glad you like it  ;)

It's a beautiful deck - make sure you've got EVERYTHING you need for the entry before you post it in the contest topic.  I'll gladly look it over for you when you're ready.

Thanks Don, here is the court cards and jokers  :D

Spades :
J ♠ - Johannes Brahms
Q ♠ - Amy Beach
K ♠ - Ludwig van Beethoven

Diamonds :
J ♦
- Robert Schumann
Q ♦ - Clara Schumann
K ♦ - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Clubs :
J ♣ - Frederic Chopin
Q ♣ - Maria Szymanowska
K ♣ - Johann Sebatian Bach

Hearts :
J ♥
- Richard Wagner
Q ♥ - Fanny Mendelssohn
K ♥ - Niccolo Paganini

Jokers :
- Antonio Vivaldi
- Claudio Monteverdi

« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 11:40:24 AM by adhex5150 »
www.threeofclubs.net

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 09:54:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm going to paste the min-spec for an entry here so I can go over it a piece at a time.

a) a model name, and an original brand name if applicable (trademarks and brand names of other companies, including but not limited to the United States Playing Card Company ["USPC"], the Expert Playing Card Company ("EPCC"), etc., may not be used).
b) a completed tuck box design presented in "assembled" appearance.  EPCC reserves the right to edit the box design to conform with design standards they are capable of producing.
c) a completed card back design.
d) a completed face image of the court cards, jokers (or joker, in the event of a deck having only one joker or having two identical jokers, or no joker at all if your deck design doesn't include any), Ace of Spades, extra cards (including but not limited to advertisement or gaff cards), one representative card of rank between 2 and 10 in each of the four Anglo-American suits (spades, hearts, clubs and diamonds).
e) any other design features that are unique to your design, including but not limited to features such as other unique Ace designs besides the Ace of Spades; hidden card markings, one-way marks or card reveals; unique pip arrangements on any of the cards varying from but still generally conforming to the Anglo-American standard; etc.

As I'm seeing it, you need very little beyond what's already here, including all images you've posted so far.

Because your deck has unique pip configurations, you should post at least one card of each value two through ten, with at least one card of each of the four suits represented among them.  If there is any special or unique features about any of the spot cards, we need to see that separately.  Examples of that would be values with different configurations in the different colors or suits (like the Mechanic Deck, both versions) or a fancy extra like a German tax stamp replica on the Ace of hearts or a Spanish maker's mark as found on the four of clubs in Spanish-made decks like the Fournier 505 and 605.  Basically, if there's any individual markings unique to your design, we need to see them.

We also need to see the remaining two unseen sides of your tuck box as part of a two- or three-dimensional representation - the top and the bottom.

Write a paragraph with an introduction from you and whatever explanatory text you want, post that with all the art here plus the missing art I mentioned in the contest topic for entries, and you have yourself one completed entry!  Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:56:04 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 09:08:09 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Awesome! Love that back!

The only suggestion I would have is to add some small details to the courts. The deck seems a bit too stoic when none of the courts are in variable positions. I think adding arms to just a few of them would do wonders for the deck.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:15:30 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 11:15:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Awesome! Love that back!

The only suggestion I would have is to add some small details to the courts. The deck seems a bit too stoic when none of the courts are in variable positions. I think adding arms to just a few of them would do wonders for the deck.

Oddly enough, while you have a good point, in this case, I think the lack of arms works.  When people think of classical and pre-classical musicians, they often see an image of them in their minds as an arms-free bust.

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 11:28:15 AM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:

Thank you all;)

@Rose : I want the number cards looks clean, so I decided only customized the pips layout without a background and keep the pips simple  :D

I was actually going to say the same thing about shadowed sheet music in the background.  I just really feel sad for the number cards that look ordinary compared to the custom courts.  I do like the font and especially club style though, fits well with the theme.

I can't tell what the white things on the bottom of the mirrored violins are, but they kind of look like a banner?  Whatever it is, I would remove it since it looks odd and makes them look cut off.  If it or any other part is meant to be a chin rest I would remove it since it also distracts and chin rests are a recent invention and would not have been likely in use when most of these composers were alive. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinrest

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 11:52:41 AM »

adhex5150

• True Member
Awesome! Love that back!

Oddly enough, while you have a good point, in this case, I think the lack of arms works.  When people think of classical and pre-classical musicians, they often see an image of them in their minds as an arms-free bust.

I decided to made the court without arms, to keep the essential of the classical portrait, because most of classical portrait have no arm.

Here is the bottom and top tuckcase preview

@ecNate
Yes, it's a banner, not chin rest. Because as you said the classical composer of the Baroque, Classical, and Romantic period don't use a chin rest.
www.threeofclubs.net

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 02:24:18 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
Quote from: adhex5150
@ecNate
Yes, it's a banner, not chin rest. Because as you said the classical composer of the Baroque, Classical, and Romantic period don't use a chin rest.

Cool.  I would still consider removing it, especially if it doesn't say anything, or making it a side by side banner like the courts.  The way it is now it doesn't provide a mirroring point anyhow since it is above the center line, doesn't add anything since no lettering.  I like the rest though, looking forward to see where you take this.

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 12:54:07 PM »

Thirdway Industries

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
I like this one, especially the courts!
Funny that jokers are both italians ;)

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 11:49:33 AM »

just4chloe

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
OMG soooooooo pretty! where can i get this?

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 01:09:53 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Awesome! Love that back!

I decided to made the court without arms, to keep the essential of the classical portrait, because most of classical portrait have no arm.

Here is the bottom and top tuckcase preview

@ecNate

That does make much more sense. Thanks for the clarification, and good luck with the contest!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 01:10:10 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 01:12:38 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
OMG soooooooo pretty! where can i get this?

Hey, Just4Chloe, welcome to the Discourse!  It's funny you should mention that...

We're having a Deck Design Contest here, our first, and it's sponsored by the Expert Playing Card Company.  This deck is one of the entrants in that contest!  If you go to this topic, you can vote on your favorite deck.  There's six to choose from and you only get one vote.

The winning design will be printed by the Expert Playing Card Company and the designer will receive 36 DOZEN decks of his or her design.  (Which also means you'll be able to purchase it!)

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 07:22:13 PM »

spindles

I can see this being a huge hit for university music students.