You are Here:
***NEW*** The Grain Back Card Deck — Printed In The UK

Author (Read 8830 times)

Re: ***NEW*** The Grain Back Card Deck — Printed In The UK
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2013, 04:37:11 AM »

G_K

• Newcomer
I would grab one deck just out of curiosity for the printing quality but $25 just for 1 deck to ship outside UK? Come on, guys!

I totally agree on that........overpriced, but Lotrek the issue here is not the price but people buying decks like this in such prices
Market is free to go, being reasonable is the hint, talking for myself

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2013, 06:13:19 AM »

Sovereign

• True Member
Before being too harsh on Ashley for the cost of shipping, the price break down might be of interest - bear in mind that to ship a single deck to the US using Royal Mail, even shipping it as Airmail printed papers to get a reduced rate could cost as much as £7.20, which when you add on the cost of secure packaging could make up about $12 / $13 dollars of that $25 cost. I don't know the deal Ashley has done with Ivory, but 100 decks doesn't win you a very low price per deck - if you assume that he is splitting the money with the designer, then once you remove the actual print cost and the packaging and shipping cost, he could easily be making $2 a deck or less.

So just a heads up that whilst you may consider it 'overpriced' I doubt that it is greed that has forced the price there - for limited runs like this it is more likely that that price is the only way to avoid losing money on the project.

Phill
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 06:13:52 AM by Sovereign »

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2013, 06:23:36 AM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I would grab one deck just out of curiosity for the printing quality but $25 just for 1 deck to ship outside UK? Come on, guys!

Unless i'm missing something, I can't see where it says $25 shipping for one deck outside of the UK? Or has it been changed?

Mind of Kennedy is this guy: http://www.mindofkennedy.co.uk/ who is a bud / design client of mine (I built his site),

And, by the way, you did a great job with that site. Looks great.
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2013, 06:41:53 AM »

Sovereign

• True Member
On the KS page it's £10 for 1 deck and £6 shipping, so that's 25.72USD I think?
So it's not $25 shipping, but $25 for one deck *plus* shipping.

Ref: site - thanks!

Phill

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2013, 01:12:57 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Unless i'm missing something, I can't see where it says $25 shipping for one deck outside of the UK? Or has it been changed?

On the KS page it's £10 for 1 deck and £6 shipping, so that's 25.72USD I think?
So it's not $25 shipping, but $25 for one deck *plus* shipping.

Ref: site - thanks!

Phill

Guys, I actually understood what he was saying.  He meant the overall cost, deck plus shipping - his English is a little less than perfect.  As I see it, he really has a point, too.  $25 for a deck of anything, shipping included, is still very high, especially if it's a new deck and not some rare or vintage collectible one.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2013, 01:55:25 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I really like this deck, I just can't do the $25-$26 for 1 deck.

I also see a problem with the project. With limiting the deck run to 100. Your math doesn't work

£1,000 goal

44 single decks x £10= £440
26 doubles        x £17=£442
1 Quad              x £40=£40
100 decks =          £922

Your rewards don't get you to the goal. You're counting on shipping to make your nut.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2013, 08:15:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I really like this deck, I just can't do the $25-$26 for 1 deck.

I also see a problem with the project. With limiting the deck run to 100. Your math doesn't work

£1,000 goal

44 single decks x £10= £440
26 doubles        x £17=£442
1 Quad              x £40=£40
100 decks =          £922

Your rewards don't get you to the goal. You're counting on shipping to make your nut.

More accurately, he's allowing shipping to cut into his potential profit, assuming that's a hard-and-fast limit as to how many decks are being made.  It's not impossible that the print run is larger but the rest will not be available through this KS project.  He may retail them elsewhere or he may keep them for his private stash.

Or that the guy simply didn't calculate his costs properly...

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2013, 04:23:58 AM »

AshleyActon

• Newcomer
THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT AND COMMENTS AT 80% LETS GET IT TO 100!

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2013, 03:14:38 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Ashley... you'd do better with us if you actually had a hand in some of the conversation, rather than just chiming in when you fee it's appropriate to advertise the deck.

Have you gotten a full quote from Ivory Graphics? What about the shipping costs, and the overall project goal? Why are the cards so much?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 03:17:39 AM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2013, 06:51:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Yay.  Hoorah.  Pip-pip and tally-ho.  [Bronxcheer duration=0:00:10.0]:P[/Bronxcheer]

Ashley, we're more of a community of peers who enjoy a hobby.  Your posts have become the equivalent of running in the room, shouting "GO (insert name of favorite sports team here)!!!" and running out.  Try engaging us in a real conversation and we might actually care more.

BTW: what on Earth inspired you to use those pips?  The courts look nice enough, but those pips are terrible!

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2013, 07:46:09 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
I'm curious to know if anyone here has backed this farmers deck or has just been his friends and family?
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2013, 01:57:04 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

Yay.  Hoorah.  Pip-pip and tally-ho.  [Bronxcheer duration=0:00:10.0]:P[/Bronxcheer]

Ashley, we're more of a community of peers who enjoy a hobby.  Your posts have become the equivalent of running in the room, shouting "GO (insert name of favorite sports team here)!!!" and running out.  Try engaging us in a real conversation and we might actually care more.

BTW: what on Earth inspired you to use those pips?  The courts look nice enough, but those pips are terrible!

I'd guess it'd be the theme of grain. They kinda look like wheat and barley grains.

But yeah. They look too far detracted from the original pips, and don't really fit the style. Not to mention that they just look flat out odd.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2013, 11:02:12 AM »

Lukeout

• Forum Regular

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I'm just catching this thread now. Did anyone ask why he is limiting to just 100? I have to assume by the text that the limit is 100 total, not 100 for the Kickstarter.

Thoughts on the deck (not that it matters anymore I guess...)
Card Back - really nice.
Deckbox - One cool font, and one WTH font. I like the design elements, but that second "line through the 0" font is off putting in both places.
Pips - I like the design of the pips very much. I think they are clever and elegant. I don't think they match the "grain" concept of the back very well.

Good looking product! looking forward to seeing some images of final decks. Did anyone on this board get one?
"Design is nothing more or less than the ability to go from what exists to what is preferred."

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2013, 02:15:49 PM »

Robert Adams

• True Member
  • 'love your cards'

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Yes I got a few.

The theme isn't particularly to my taste but I thought that his team did a fair job of the design. (I also like to keep an eye on the quality of Ivory Graphics' decks and I'm keen to encourage more people from UK and Europe to use manufacturers from their own countries)

I spoke to Ashley during the project and encouraged him to come back here to talk more. I think he felt a little like it was too late, that the forum was 'against him'. I don't think people were any harsher than normal but he is only 16 and I sometimes find you quite intimidating at 30!

On the pricing and print run- I doubt that he expected huge international sales. Here in the UK we are used to paying close to £10 for a ltd. edition deck. We are aware and very jealous that you don't in north America.

Ashley has a few more decks planned.  I'm sure that he will become more professional as he matures and I'm sure he'll find a way of  winning your trust again.

I haven't received my decks yet, I'll let you know what I think when I do!

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2013, 03:04:19 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Yes I got a few.

The theme isn't particularly to my taste but I thought that his team did a fair job of the design. (I also like to keep an eye on the quality of Ivory Graphics' decks and I'm keen to encourage more people from UK and Europe to use manufacturers from their own countries)

I spoke to Ashley during the project and encouraged him to come back here to talk more. I think he felt a little like it was too late, that the forum was 'against him'. I don't think people were any harsher than normal but he is only 16 and I sometimes find you quite intimidating at 30!

On the pricing and print run- I doubt that he expected huge international sales. Here in the UK we are used to paying close to £10 for a ltd. edition deck. We are aware and very jealous that you don't in north America.

Ashley has a few more decks planned.  I'm sure that he will become more professional as he matures and I'm sure he'll find a way of  winning your trust again.

I haven't received my decks yet, I'll let you know what I think when I do!

I liked the deck, but just couldn't pay $25 for a deck(yes we are spoiled here in the US). Hopefully Ashley does come back and join in on some discussions. I think that is were he caught a little flack. Everyone here is happy to give help and talk about a project. We just expect something in return. Join in and participate on the forum. The amount I have learned just by interacting with these guys has been invaluable.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2013, 08:44:09 AM »

Robert Adams

• True Member
  • 'love your cards'

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
I agree with you Rob Wright and with many previously made criticisms.

Anyway, my two decks arrived today. Not bad at all!

They handle reasonably well and even faro straight out of the box. I struggle to get a perfect fan as is so easy with most USPC decks. The print quality and cut is very good. The border alignment is excellent. Well done again Ivory Graphics!

I'm enjoying the design more in the flesh. In the end I think that the pips aren't too big in that they look comfortable on the card but the size and placement of the indices makes them hard to show in a fan.

The texture of the card isn't a perfectly even matrix of dots but much rougher. You can't really feel it but you can see. I doubt it was intentional but is actually it is in keeping with the design as it looks a little like wheat!

The tuck case design is fine but not the best quality. Thick glossy and cut a little roughly, it's not as nice as the one DMC and Sovereign produced for their Great Whites.

Overall it's pretty good. I'm sure that kickstarter backers will be satisfied.

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2013, 11:29:35 AM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
Kinda wish I got this deck. I really like the back design and I'm sure my farming friends would love it. Yes, I live in Indiana.

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2013, 02:51:13 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I liked the deck, but just couldn't pay $25 for a deck(yes we are spoiled here in the US).

I think this was an issue for many here in the states, but good for him and I'm glad to hear the deck is pretty decent.

Kudos Ashley