You are Here:
*Cardistree Deck UPDATES*

Author (Read 14704 times)

Re: Ace of Spades Design
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2012, 04:21:59 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Since my deck will be Cardistree I thought it would be awesome to have recycled paper.... Buuuut they can't do that for me they said.
That's weird, I would've thought they could accomodate this kind of request, maybe for a little price extra... Not to mention the bicycle eco decks are still in print and made of recycled paper if I'm not mistaken.
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2012, 04:35:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Since my deck will be Cardistree I thought it would be awesome to have recycled paper.... Buuuut they can't do that for me they said.
That's weird, I would've thought they could accomodate this kind of request, maybe for a little price extra... Not to mention the bicycle eco decks are still in print and made of recycled paper if I'm not mistaken.

Still available, perhaps, but still in print?  Mine are copyright 2008, made in Cincinnati.  They're probably still selling out the old stock since it was likely a large-ish production run, with specially-obtained paper for the decks and boxes (even the ink was custom on that one, with vegetable-based dyes).  My local shops are still selling Ohio Tallys and Bees, but they're black seal, meaning they're transition decks that may have been made in Kentucky.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2012, 04:46:32 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
You're right, I hadn't thought about this. In this case I could understand that a customer-specific paper would be more of a problem (except for Theory11 it seems...)

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2012, 04:52:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
You're right, I hadn't thought about this. In this case I could understand that a customer-specific paper would be more of a problem (except for Theory11 it seems...)

Or perhaps it would be a cakewalk - if you ordered it in a large-enough quantity to make it worth ordering.  You buy enough and fork over the cash, they'll make cards on angel wings printed with holograms that sing...

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2012, 04:59:21 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

Or perhaps it would be a cakewalk - if you ordered it in a large-enough quantity to make it worth ordering.  You buy enough and fork over the cash, they'll make cards on angel wings printed with holograms that sing...

I'm sure you are right. If you want 30k decks and have $75,000 laying around they'd do anything you want. If you want a small number you have to be a bit more traditional. Though look at Ellusionist and the UV500 stock.  Even they couldn't afford to get the special paper anymore and had to give it up.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2012, 11:14:43 AM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Yeah I'm sure that is the situation. She said all she can offer me is Bee or Bicycle stock. I'm sure if I was a big company then she would be able to help me out more. I'm thinking of going with different colors rather than black and red. Maybe a dark brown and a dark red?  ;D
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2012, 11:18:02 AM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
I'm sure we'd all like to see some of the new designs if they're ready  :)

Working on it  ;)
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2012, 11:40:54 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Yeah I'm sure that is the situation. She said all she can offer me is Bee or Bicycle stock. I'm sure if I was a big company then she would be able to help me out more. I'm thinking of going with different colors rather than black and red. Maybe a dark brown and a dark red?  ;D
Brown is not a color that I like on a deck of cards. Thats just my opinion I wouldn't like to see brown. Although it would go with the theme.... I just don't like brown

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2012, 01:38:28 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Brown is not a color that I like on a deck of cards. Thats just my opinion I wouldn't like to see brown. Although it would go with the theme.... I just don't like brown

Yeah just a thought. I want to make the cards special in some way, not just the boring black and red. Maybe incorporate a small design in the pips like the pink ribbon cards, or like the ace of spades on the ghost deck.....

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2012, 03:26:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Yeah just a thought. I want to make the cards special in some way, not just the boring black and red. Maybe incorporate a small design in the pips like the pink ribbon cards, or like the ace of spades on the ghost deck.....

If you're making a tree-oriented deck, brown and green would be the natural combination, as I see it.  The two colors are actually fairly common - before the advent of the black deck, the most common colors for a deck besides red and blue were green and brown.  Just look at all the old Bicycle designs done in those colors.  And the Asher Fournier 605's come only in green and brown.

« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2012, 08:21:21 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran

If you're making a tree-oriented deck, brown and green would be the natural combination, as I see it.  The two colors are actually fairly common - before the advent of the black deck, the most common colors for a deck besides red and blue were green and brown.  Just look at all the old Bicycle designs done in those colors.  And the Asher Fournier 605's come only in green and brown.

That's very true. Times have changed though and I'm just thinking about what everyone would be most receptive to nowadays. If i went for brown and green it would be a 100% everything custom deck. I like the idea of a brown back though, with all of the wood and curving angles. Would be nice to have a matching colored pips on the flipside.

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2012, 10:10:56 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
That's a great idea! The back design could be a closeup of wood grain or tree bark, and the grain and knots could be built up as intricate shapes or patterns. Maybe the wood grain could wrap around the shape of the main Cardistree tree and the Cardistree tree itself could look like it's carved or burned into the wood surface.

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2012, 10:33:44 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
That's a great idea! The back design could be a closeup of wood grain or tree bark, and the grain and knots could be built up as intricate shapes or patterns. Maybe the wood grain could wrap around the shape of the main Cardistree tree and the Cardistree tree itself could look like it's carved or burned into the wood surface.

That's a sweet idea. I wouldn't make it extremely obvious, but burn in the pattern, king of like how the split spades are, but it wool fade and intermingle with the wood. I'm getting excited about this deck! Gotta get with my sister soon and knock out some design work.

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2012, 01:29:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

That's very true. Times have changed though and I'm just thinking about what everyone would be most receptive to nowadays. If i went for brown and green it would be a 100% everything custom deck. I like the idea of a brown back though, with all of the wood and curving angles. Would be nice to have a matching colored pips on the flipside.

Matching green and brown pips should be simple enough - you're already creating some degree of customization in the faces, so why not?

What people are most receptive to are two things: either a big name (D&D could make a deck on toilet paper, call it S&M v7, and it would sell out) or a strong, solid artistic vision.  The best-remembered decks are the ones that truly are works of art, fully custom and pushing the boundaries of what a deck can look like - and not just for the sake of pushing boundaries, either.

That's a sweet idea. I wouldn't make it extremely obvious, but burn in the pattern, king of like how the split spades are, but it wool fade and intermingle with the wood. I'm getting excited about this deck! Gotta get with my sister soon and knock out some design work.

Burned, carved, or just plain naturally-occurring - you have options.

Here's an idea I like: create a "winter" and "summer" version of the deck.  The summer version would be a bird's eye view of a forest, with treetops appearing as small dots in clusters, a few open fields here and there - a completely symmetrical pattern allowing for a two-way back.  Then the winter version would be the same exact scene in winter; bare deciduous trees, just like on the card faces, fields covered in snow, perhaps some animal footprints visible.  You could conceivably do spring and fall versions as well, if you prefer the color scheme better - and that would also work nicely, since the faces are "winter" themselves!  The backs would be before and after!

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2012, 08:23:41 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran

Matching green and brown pips should be simple enough - you're already creating some degree of customization in the faces, so why not?

What people are most receptive to are two things: either a big name (D&D could make a deck on toilet paper, call it S&M v7, and it would sell out) or a strong, solid artistic vision.  The best-remembered decks are the ones that truly are works of art, fully custom and pushing the boundaries of what a deck can look like - and not just for the sake of pushing boundaries, either.

Burned, carved, or just plain naturally-occurring - you have options.

Here's an idea I like: create a "winter" and "summer" version of the deck.  The summer version would be a bird's eye view of a forest, with treetops appearing as small dots in clusters, a few open fields here and there - a completely symmetrical pattern allowing for a two-way back.  Then the winter version would be the same exact scene in winter; bare deciduous trees, just like on the card faces, fields covered in snow, perhaps some animal footprints visible.  You could conceivably do spring and fall versions as well, if you prefer the color scheme better - and that would also work nicely, since the faces are "winter" themselves!  The backs would be before and after!

Thank you for the advice, i love the idea of a forest from above. I'll talk to my sister about that tonight.

I did a little different ace of spades tonight, let me know what you guys think. Good? Bad? Better? Worse? And advice?

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2012, 08:27:59 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
The birds are a great touch, and I prefer the shape of that one since it looks more natural, but I kinda prefer the roots of the old one. So I would say a mix of both versions. ;)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 08:29:47 PM by Moon.exe »

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
The birds are a great touch, and I prefer the shape of that one since it looks more natural, but I kinda prefer the roots of the old one. So I would say a mix of both versions. ;)

I do like the roots of the first one. I'll try to make a combo. The birds definitely stay though!

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2012, 08:51:32 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
The birds are an awesome addition! It really fits the "tree" kind of theme.
I also love the shading that you added! Really great work

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2012, 01:01:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I could easily envision the occasional stray bird or two cruising around on most if not all of the card faces...  Maybe even a flock on a few of them.

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2012, 03:56:15 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Haha nice touch with the birds! That could make for some cool gaff cards  :D

I wouldn't mind seeing a combo of the two aces like @moon.exe mentioned
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2012, 04:05:31 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
I just envisioned the Jokers to be some sort of tree with a face in it, and the birds would be flying around. Then the second joker would have one of the birds carrying a reveal card in its beak. Something like that... i'm getting excited about this deck!

« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2012, 12:39:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I just envisioned the Jokers to be some sort of tree with a face in it, and the birds would be flying around. Then the second joker would have one of the birds carrying a reveal card in its beak. Something like that... i'm getting excited about this deck!

And here you thought you were just making an Ace of Spades...  :))

You should be excited - this is "fertile ground" to play with in terms of the design of your deck, ground that's never really been covered before by any deck I've ever heard of.

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2012, 12:32:39 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran

And here you thought you were just making an Ace of Spades...

You should be excited - this is "fertile ground" to play with in terms of the design of your deck, ground that's never really been covered before by any deck I've ever heard of.

I enjoyed your pun  ;)  I think If I make the designs appealing enough, people will back me since there really aren't any other decks like it  :D

« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2012, 06:00:19 PM »

kensei777

• Forum Regular
  • Card Technician and Noob Playing Cards Collector

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I love the design. How's the progress so far? The talk so far has gotten me really curious(and excited) as to what the backs are going to turn out. Good luck!  :D
I prefer hand written signatures over digital ones but the ink appears to be stuck on my monitor screen...

- Emman Refuerzo aka Kensei777

« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2012, 08:55:10 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
I'm collaborating with my sister right now. We feel like we want to make the deck sort of erie. You can already see in my second tree that it's kind of creepy... What do you guys think?