You are Here:
"Angels" - Custom Deck feedback

Author (Read 13365 times)

"Angels" - Custom Deck feedback
« on: July 01, 2018, 12:57:22 AM »

drew5011

• Newcomer
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and new to playing cards in general. I'm a graphic designer and am currently hosting my very first deck on Kickstarter. I doubt that I'll reach the funding goal, but I'm learning every step of the way.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/882671996/angels-of-burden-custom-designed-playing-cards-fro?ref=user_menu

I wanted to get your thoughts on my deck. All feedback is welcome, good or bad. I want to continue designing decks as a hobby and would love to get insight from people far more knowledgeable than me.

*I am redesigining the court cards so it's not the letter only. I found out courts are pretty sacred and shouldn't be shortcutted design wise. The image if the first court I completed so far.

Thanks in advance!

Re: "Angels" - Custom Deck feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 03:27:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and new to playing cards in general. I'm a graphic designer and am currently hosting my very first deck on Kickstarter. I doubt that I'll reach the funding goal, but I'm learning every step of the way.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/882671996/angels-of-burden-custom-designed-playing-cards-fro?ref=user_menu

I wanted to get your thoughts on my deck. All feedback is welcome, good or bad. I want to continue designing decks as a hobby and would love to get insight from people far more knowledgeable than me.

*I am redesigining the court cards so it's not the letter only. I found out courts are pretty sacred and shouldn't be shortcutted design wise. The image if the first court I completed so far.

Thanks in advance!

Indeed, these days, if you want to catch the attention of the collectors' market with your custom deck, you want to pay more attention to your court card artwork.  In addition to making court indices with both the letter/rank and suit, you'll want to place them on the more traditional upper-left and lower-right corners of the card (unless you're specifically designing the deck for the less than 10% of the population that's left-handed).

The art itself should be at least somewhat original from card to card, meaning that all the jacks should look at least a little different and not simply by having different suits but by having differences in the garments worn, facial hair, weapons held, facial expressions, hair color, etc.  Making them all appear identical comes across as lazy design work.

Finally, when making a double-headed court character, it's better to have the image blend in the middle in a radially symmetrical fashion without the use of a hard border or dividing line of some kind.  It's more difficult to accomplish, artistically-speaking, but it's something that many collectors look for as a result because it's also more aesthetically appealing.

Good luck on the redesign.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: "Angels" - Custom Deck feedback
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 05:00:29 PM »

drew5011

• Newcomer
Very helpful information. I have switched the pips. That was a poor error on my part, but fixed now. I redesigned the courts and they are a bit different but not so much. For me it's best to get this first deck under my belt and learn as I go. I'm still confident this deck will be great quality, but my next addition will cover all the aspects collectors look for.

I'm excited to be a part of this community and appreciate everyone's input good or bad.