Aquila Playing Cards (KS)
« on: February 14, 2014, 11:18:36 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 12:23:44 AM by Don Boyer »
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

Re: Aquila Playing Cards - Coming soon
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 11:31:46 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
I'm liking this .. The card design on the face reminds me of another deck, can't quite think of which deck.

Nonetheless, I like what I see so far. Aquila is a Latin word for eagle, so I wonder if they're going with that particular theme or it's just the name of the deck.
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 11:36:17 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I'm liking these first few images, something to keep an eye on. I did notice that they will be using MakePlayingCards to produce the deck, any opinions on the quality of cards they produce? I'm not familiar with any decks they may have produces....as far as I know.

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 12:00:03 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
They're nice enough.  I may pass if they're using MPC.  I dig the court style, like the font.  I'm kinda not feeling the faded background on the faces of the cards.  I don't know if maybe it's been done too much or it just doesn't appeal to me.  It just seems to muddy things up from my perspective.  It's also possible I'm beginning to just like classic faces with custom backs and courts.  I'm thinking more isn't always better.   I don't know, just my thoughts, I could be stir crazy and babbling from the snow.  Again, pretty nice design. 

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 01:48:51 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I'm kind of curious about why they put the Cyrillic "D" on the mitre the King is holding.  That letter is used in Russian decks on the index for the Queen (dama).  (It's that thing that vaguely resembles an A.)
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 02:33:42 PM »

th4mo

I'm kind of curious about why they put the Cyrillic "D" on the mitre the King is holding.  That letter is used in Russian decks on the index for the Queen (dama).  (It's that thing that vaguely resembles an A.)

Seems clear that they *are* using it as an "A", since they use it as such twice in the name of their deck right below the image you are referring to, no?  ;)
So, I'm seeing the letter on the card as a reference to the title of the deck...

Even if it is technically a Cyrillic "D", it wouldn't be the first time someone used an "odd" character in place of the standard one.

But perhaps there is a "deeper" meaning behind it...? Guess we'll have to ask the designer if/when they come around...

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 05:28:53 PM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
I'm liking this .. The card design on the face reminds me of another deck, can't quite think of which deck.

Nonetheless, I like what I see so far. Aquila is a Latin word for eagle, so I wonder if they're going with that particular theme or it's just the name of the deck.

The back design does seem to show wings.

The new king could use more detail. His body too empty.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 03:09:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Seems clear that they *are* using it as an "A", since they use it as such twice in the name of their deck right below the image you are referring to, no?  ;)
So, I'm seeing the letter on the card as a reference to the title of the deck...

Even if it is technically a Cyrillic "D", it wouldn't be the first time someone used an "odd" character in place of the standard one.

But perhaps there is a "deeper" meaning behind it...? Guess we'll have to ask the designer if/when they come around...

Here's the character I'm talking about - tell me that "A" doesn't resemble this:

Д

That is a Cyrillic "de" character, pronounced /d/ in the International Phonetic Alphabet.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 10:02:23 AM »

adhex5150

• True Member
Thank you everyone for the feedback.

This deck is inspired by Garuda Wisnu Kencana that we've seen on Bali, Indonesia.
Garuda is the Hindu name for the constellation Aquila, it's also mean Eagle as Nurul said, but we only use the Garuda for the back design, ace of spade and jokers.

We'd like to make the court's body looks simple, without many ornaments that you've probably seen on the standard courts.

Don : Thanks for pointing the Cyrillic "de", we'll used it as an"odd" character of "A" for the Aquila, as it's shown on the King of Clubs.
No deep meaning for that. It's just show as an "A" while we use the Kremlin font for the word "Aquila".

We're thinking to use MPC to print this deck atm, however we still working on the prototype to see how it's handling. Based on some review the MPC deck is handling good. At first we're just want to make this available in Indonesia, but we've got some ppl asking that they would be interested to buy this deck, so we'll working to release this deck on KS.
"Behind every great King there's a great Queen"
www.threeofclubs.net
Aquila Playing Card : https://www.facebook.com/AquilaPlayingCards

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 07:36:02 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
See, I knew it was a Cyrillic letter!

Playing cards are pretty popular among much of the Russian-speaking world.  Consider using (or creating) a different character that's more "A-like" so as to not confuse that segment of you potential audience.  An eagle pointing up with spread wings slanted back would evoke both an "A" and an eagle, the deck's namesake - it might be a better choice.

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 03:14:51 AM »

adhex5150

• True Member

Playing cards are pretty popular among much of the Russian-speaking world.  Consider using (or creating) a different character that's more "A-like" so as to not confuse that segment of you potential audience.  An eagle pointing up with spread wings slanted back would evoke both an "A" and an eagle, the deck's namesake - it might be a better choice.

Thanks Don, much appreciate  ;)

I've talk with my team about that, and we might change that Cycrilic "de" to "A" character.
Hopefully this one will look better  ;)

And here is a preview for the Spades family :)

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 03:16:39 AM by adhex5150 »
www.threeofclubs.net

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 06:29:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I like the courts on the whole, but something is a little off with the Queen.  As I looked at it a while, I realized that she looks like she has a swollen forehead.  Perhaps turning the head more towards the viewer would help with that.

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 09:20:24 AM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
Also looks like she's wearing a mask.

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 02:36:43 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I'm curious about MPC as well. I am currently backing their KS and from the sound of it, they have quite a few higher-level features available over what a "Print poorly on smooth paper" manufacturer would have. I get the feeling that they are wanting to become a strong custom contender with USPCC. I wish that I had the MPC decks in my hand now though to get a better idea.

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 12:43:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm curious about MPC as well. I am currently backing their KS and from the sound of it, they have quite a few higher-level features available over what a "Print poorly on smooth paper" manufacturer would have. I get the feeling that they are wanting to become a strong custom contender with USPCC. I wish that I had the MPC decks in my hand now though to get a better idea.

I've heard of designers using MPC to make a test deck before going to USPC for a full print run.  MPC charges much less and the quality is close-but-not-quite to USPC - better than the average cheaply-made deck.  It's good to have a test deck for making your presentation video and using a physical object rather than a bunch of sketches and computer-generated images.

One designer mentioned using Zazzle for making a test deck - he mentioned they had decent printing but terrible handling.  Plus Zazzle is more limiting and more expensive - as far as I know, they get sheets with pre-printed faces from USPC, similar to what USPC does for the Congress brand, so getting custom faces beyond their limited design selection is not even offered, though they do offer a more generic face set for less than half the price of a "Bicycle-branded" deck with USPC/Bicycle faces.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:44:14 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 02:01:32 AM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
You can get some free samples from MPC by going to their website.

As far as quality  a lot of the smaller print companies are digital only shops.  This tends  to limit paper stock and coating options due to heat that the toner liquefies. So it might look great, but can lack on the finishing side. Almost all print companies have their equipment listed online. For Digital and a super small or demo runs you cant go wrong with a Indigo for digital.

Your best quality of course is going to be offset.

ps.. I headed the digital department of a southern US  company that does the Magic and Pokemon cards. So if anyone has a print, paper, or finishing questions feel free to  PM me

I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 07:15:58 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I actually prefer the 1st concept more than the actual one. I don't know why, but the final product of the courts seem abit..plain. I was hoping there could be slightly more detailing on the courts than just grey tone shading. After all, so much detailing has been put into the faded background, it seems a little wasted to just stop there.

Maybe the designer has tried it and it looks to complex, i do not know. But, just hoping to see a little more.

I agree with Don here. I could tell the "A" would stand for Aquila, but throwing a Cyrillic letter in there does no justice to the deck. Creating a customised "A" font with some relation to the theme would definitely do much better especially when u are putting emphasis on it.

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 09:15:24 AM »

adhex5150

• True Member
Again, thank you for all the suggestions, we're trying to make some improvement while we're waiting for the prototype deck.
I'm changing the face of the QoS, hopefully this one will look better as Don said she has a swollen forehead  ;)

BiggerDee : we're only seeing a review how the MPC deck handling, hopefully this link could help how is the handling of the MPC deck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI27a5YDt70

PurpleIce : IMO the 1st concept is just like a color change, so we're trying to make a new court from scratch, and we want to make it looks simple, while we put some detail on the background.
The Cycrilic "de" has been change, I've posted the new "A" character above  ;)

Here is some pict of the Joker, we're making the prototype with the 1st concept, but I feel it's kinda lazy with just to snap a back design into the joker, so I'm changing with the new Joker concept  ;)

1st Joker concept

New Joker concept

www.threeofclubs.net

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 10:39:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Queen looks better!

I prefer the original jokers - the new ones are too reminiscent of the Bicycle Asura decks.  On the joker with the reveal, swap positions between the reveal card's name and "Aquila" - it hides better, making for a big surprise when the spectator finally spots it.

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 10:57:09 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
In their last KS deck update, MPC talks about wanting to be a power in the playing card industry, and have standard decks available widespread. If they get their quality up there, and allow designers to push the envelope while delivering fast printing, they may just become a decent force. It's worth watching at the least.

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 12:08:16 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
PurpleIce : IMO the 1st concept is just like a color change, so we're trying to make a new court from scratch, and we want to make it looks simple, while we put some detail on the background.
The Cycrilic "de" has been change, I've posted the new "A" character above  ;)

Hi Adhex,

I do understand the 1st concept is just a colour change from a standard court card. What i'm trying to say is its just weird to see nice detailing on the background, jokers, and even the pips have an outlining, but the courts just seem a little "flat". I'm not saying you should use the 1st concept, but maybe, say, add minor detailing to the king's crown as according to your deck concept?

I may be wrong and i welcome people to correct me, but Garuda is a mythical bird-like creature who is the mount of Vishnu. Going back to the Hindi religion, past impressions is that though they are clothed simply, accessories and jeweleries like crowns and bangles are quite intricately designed. Be it Buddhism or Hinduism, which i believe have some cross relations or influences of each other, they all have very detailed drawings in their artwork, sculptures and architecture. (Which is how i know a small part of these information through studying Balinese architecture.)

Don't get me wrong. I think it is a really nice deck. It is just a first impression when i see the images that i thought more could be done. But i am not the one designing the deck, and i know a lot probably needs to be "tried and tested" before knowing whats best. For all i may know, simplicity might be the best way to go. It is just my personal opinion of adding more detailing when i first see the court cards.

I prefer the original jokers - the new ones are too reminiscent of the Bicycle Asura decks.  On the joker with the reveal, swap positions between the reveal card's name and "Aquila" - it hides better, making for a big surprise when the spectator finally spots it.

I'm not too sure about this Don. I like the overall look, the wings and the reveal in the 1st concept of the joker, but the new concept looks more like an actual sculpture of his theme. While there are some similarities, Asura is more human-like, while his is more bird-like. And Asura sounds like it is probably from a similar background and Garuda as well.

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 02:09:40 PM »

adhex5150

• True Member
Hi Adhex,

I do understand the 1st concept is just a colour change from a standard court card. What i'm trying to say is its just weird to see nice detailing on the background, jokers, and even the pips have an outlining, but the courts just seem a little "flat". I'm not saying you should use the 1st concept, but maybe, say, add minor detailing to the king's crown as according to your deck concept?

I may be wrong and i welcome people to correct me, but Garuda is a mythical bird-like creature who is the mount of Vishnu. Going back to the Hindi religion, past impressions is that though they are clothed simply, accessories and jeweleries like crowns and bangles are quite intricately designed. Be it Buddhism or Hinduism, which i believe have some cross relations or influences of each other, they all have very detailed drawings in their artwork, sculptures and architecture. (Which is how i know a small part of these information through studying Balinese architecture.)

Don't get me wrong. I think it is a really nice deck. It is just a first impression when i see the images that i thought more could be done. But i am not the one designing the deck, and i know a lot probably needs to be "tried and tested" before knowing whats best. For all i may know, simplicity might be the best way to go. It is just my personal opinion of adding more detailing when i first see the court cards.

You're right about Garuda, it's also a national symbol for Indonesia, which also inspired us to make a playing card that contain an Indonesian culture. Thanks for the advice on the court card, we'll stay on this simple design atm, but it might also changed as we make improvement for that. Really appreciate it.

I've to agree with Purple for the Joker, so we'll use the 2nd concept joker for the deck. If you notice there's also a 3 of Hearts reveal on the joker.

www.threeofclubs.net

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 11:39:06 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I've to agree with Purple for the Joker, so we'll use the 2nd concept joker for the deck. If you notice there's also a 3 of Hearts reveal on the joker.

I finally found that reveal - man, that thing is hidden!  It's too easily mistaken for something else, I think.  Consider doing what Ellusionist did for the Arcane Jokeress.  Yours can say "The Myth" on one card, "3Hearts" on the other card and disguise the reveal to look more like the other card's phrase.  The beauty of a reveal is that you want the spectator to find it, unbidden from you, so it comes as more of a shock when they spot the change.  Hidden is good, but your present reveal seems just TOO well hidden.

Any magicians feel like weighing in on that?

Alternately, you have the choice to ditch the reveal altogether.  The trend seems to be going away from reveals - perhaps they were thought to be too gimmicky?  There's a lot more three-year-old decks with reveals than there are new decks.  With a deck like yours, the selling point is less about utility for magicians and more about the beauty of the cards, am I right?

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 12:19:09 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
So i did some quick research on Asura with my 2 best friend, google and wiki, seems that its tied together with Hinduism as well.

Just FYI.

In Hinduism, the asuras (Sanskrit: असुर) are non-suras, a different group of power-seeking deities besides the suras, sometimes considered naturalists, or nature-beings, in constant battle with the devas.

Deva (देव in Devanagari script) is the Sanskrit word for deity, its related feminine term is devi. In modern Hinduism, it can be loosely interpreted as any benevolent supernatural being. The devas in Hinduism, also called Suras, are often juxtaposed to the Asuras, their half brothers.[1] Devas are also the maintainers of the realms as ordained by the Trimurti. They are often warring with their equally powerful counterparts, the Asuras.

I finally found that reveal - man, that thing is hidden!  It's too easily mistaken for something else, I think.  Consider doing what Ellusionist did for the Arcane Jokeress.  Yours can say "The Myth" on one card, "3Hearts" on the other card and disguise the reveal to look more like the other card's phrase.  The beauty of a reveal is that you want the spectator to find it, unbidden from you, so it comes as more of a shock when they spot the change.  Hidden is good, but your present reveal seems just TOO well hidden.

I don't know about trends and history of reveals, so i won't comment on if it should be included. Neither will i comment on how a reveal should be disguised.

But it being "TOO well hidden", that i agree. I'm no magician, but i can imagine a situation whereby a magician will ask the audience too see closer or even requiring to point it out to him/her where the reveal is, which i believe is a bit of a damper on the mood and "wow" effect.

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 06:01:10 AM »

adhex5150

• True Member
So i did some quick research on Asura with my 2 best friend, google and wiki, seems that its tied together with Hinduism as well.

Just FYI.

In Hinduism, the asuras (Sanskrit: असुर) are non-suras, a different group of power-seeking deities besides the suras, sometimes considered naturalists, or nature-beings, in constant battle with the devas.

Deva (देव in Devanagari script) is the Sanskrit word for deity, its related feminine term is devi. In modern Hinduism, it can be loosely interpreted as any benevolent supernatural being. The devas in Hinduism, also called Suras, are often juxtaposed to the Asuras, their half brothers.[1] Devas are also the maintainers of the realms as ordained by the Trimurti. They are often warring with their equally powerful counterparts, the Asuras.

I don't know about trends and history of reveals, so i won't comment on if it should be included. Neither will i comment on how a reveal should be disguised.

But it being "TOO well hidden", that i agree. I'm no magician, but i can imagine a situation whereby a magician will ask the audience too see closer or even requiring to point it out to him/her where the reveal is, which i believe is a bit of a damper on the mood and "wow" effect.

Yes, I realize the reveal is actually "too hidden".
I create a new one with the 3oH stay on the head, and added 7Hearts according to Don suggestion.

When we start design this deck, we're actually aim both magician and collector, even card flourisher that could use this deck. So we create this deck with a marking system and the reveal joker. Here is the back design.

www.threeofclubs.net