You are Here:
2-in-1 deck on Kickstarter

Author (Read 1888 times)

2-in-1 deck on Kickstarter
« on: January 04, 2014, 12:53:27 AM »

oceanddeep

• Newcomer
Hello  :).
I have just launched a new project on kickstarter and I'd like to hear your opinions. I combined 2 decks into 1 and the design is very simple.
We can play every card games with new rules.  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/787934767/2-in-1-playing-cards

For example, poker. Five of a kind, flushes with pairs etc. More combinations. We could also add all kinds of other interesting hands if we  wanted to (i.e does having a suited pair make it better?).

We have 4 preflop hand combinations instead of 1 if we play hold'em. It is easy to imagine if you play omaha

Please give me your precious opinions. Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 11:15:24 AM by oceanddeep »

Re: 2-in-1 deck on Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 01:03:26 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Thanks for posting your project as I just sat there pondering and perplexed do I post this...  Sorry to be blunt but this is not for me.  I am at a loss for words really.  This is a game first a foremost I assume  but for deck collectors  I do not think so
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:04:08 AM by badpete69 »

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 01:09:10 AM »

oceanddeep

• Newcomer
Thanks for replying :). It is a weird new deck. Maybe some collectors will like it.

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 01:13:40 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
I wish you well of course and good luck

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 01:31:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks for replying :). It is a weird new deck. Maybe some collectors will like it.

I have to tell you, and I'm not saying this as a personal attack or anything, but these are a terrible concept for playing cards - and by that I'm referring to the standard Anglo-American deck design as opposed to some kind of novelty game.  Because that's what you have here; a novelty deck, not a standard deck, not even a custom standard deck.

The majority of playing card collectors don't even go as far as collecting bridge decks or pinochle decks - they're not going to be interested in a deck like this, certainly not in large numbers.

Now what you SHOULD be doing is instead of pitching this as a "weird deck of cards" to card collectors, you should be writing game rules and promoting this as a game.  Make up some rules to go with this unique deck of yours, package them together, and check out the boards that are big on board games and similar games like Wizard, Uno, etc.  The audience is smaller, but if you choose an inexpensive printer, you could have a budget of perhaps a third or less of what you're seeking now.

A few words of advice: people are more likely to back a project with a real name and face to it instead of "Ocean D" - that sounds like a cross between a seafood snack and a breakfast drink.  Also, make certain you've accounted for EVERYTHING in your budget, right down to the postal price increase that's coming this month.  Don't just come up with a number off the top of your head because it sounds good - it's a recipe for disaster.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 01:44:14 AM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
It looks too messy to me and I don't really know what I'd use cards like these for. You should try to at least make one game where you could use both sides of the cards at the same time and post it on your project page instead of asking people to make their own games. It makes it seem like you didn't really give the concept much thought and decided to slap some pips on cards with no real purpose. I also don't open my collection of cards unless I have multiples of the same deck so a view of the tuck box and card back would be nice. But since there's really no artistic sense or anything, I don't think serious collectors would take a liking to your deck. I could always be wrong though since I'm new to collecting.

Anyway, best of luck to you and your campaign.

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 01:48:08 AM »

th4mo

Congrats on perplexing Pierre! lol....
I can just imagine him sitting there staring at his screen! (like me...)

that kind of makes my day.  ;D

the cards... unfortunately... not so much.

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 02:12:32 AM »

oceanddeep

• Newcomer
Thank you all. I guess I have to stick with poker.

We have 4 preflop hand combinations instead of 1 if we play hold'em. It is easy to imagine if you play omaha.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 02:22:41 AM by oceanddeep »

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 03:15:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thank you all. I guess I have to stick with poker.

We have 4 preflop hand combinations instead of 1 if we play hold'em. It is easy to imagine if you play omaha.

Then you need to go and work on some new rules for old-school games.

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 05:30:03 AM »

AtomSmash

• True Member
  • ಠ_ಠ
This deck really confuses me. If I'm honest, $15 per deck for card games no-one has ever heard of seems a bit steep to me. Who is it that's printing them? I'm assuming it's not USPCC on the fact that you haven't listed the printer.
...but that's just my opinion.

ಠ_ಠ CARDS ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 05:47:07 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This deck really confuses me. If I'm honest, $15 per deck for card games no-one has ever heard of seems a bit steep to me. Who is it that's printing them? I'm assuming it's not USPCC on the fact that you haven't listed the printer.

As I mentioned, it's really more of a gamer's novelty.  Again, he should make MANY game rules to go with it, in order to spark interest, and they'd have to be games that can't be played with ordinary playing cards, because otherwise, what's the point?

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 06:07:19 PM »

max

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Although I usually like almost every deck, I have to say that I am completely lost with this. I don't think it is for collectors thought.

Sorry, I am confused with it.

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 09:23:32 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Ah..yea, don't get it.
Is this going to be 26 card deck?
Doubles of each card? 
Does the 6/10, 7/9, 8/8 cards make a straight?

Not practical even as a novelty.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 10:02:36 PM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
Ah..yea, don't get it.
Is this going to be 26 card deck?
Doubles of each card? 
Does the 6/10, 7/9, 8/8 cards make a straight?

Not practical even as a novelty.

For any given game you could achieve the same result by simply using 2 regular decks and double the amount of cards in play, e.g. for Hold'Em use 4 hole cards and 10 table cards.
- Tom

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 10:25:58 PM »

oceanddeep

• Newcomer
52+2 cards. There is no two same suited pairs. You can discard 26 cards if you want to play a simple game. The suit combinations allow that.

Lets consider texas holdem.
2 hands=4 combination of preflop. A/2 and J/5 will give us {A/5,A/J, J/2, 5/2}. In this way it is very similar to Omaha holdem.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 10:41:04 PM by oceanddeep »

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 12:51:29 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
52+2 cards. There is no two same suited pairs. You can discard 26 cards if you want to play a simple game. The suit combinations allow that.

Lets consider texas holdem.
2 hands=4 combination of preflop. A/2 and J/5 will give us {A/5,A/J, J/2, 5/2}. In this way it is very similar to Omaha holdem.

I kinda get an idea after reading through the posts...but have you tested out on the feasibility yet? What if you get "5" of a kind? or a double royal flush? Also, wouldn't it be difficult if you play, e.g bridge and you fan out the cards, and there are repeated cards? It would be difficult to play peek at cards considering you need to peek both sides.

As Don said, packaging it with new rules would make it much better. Make it a whole new game...or gameS

I'm curious to see the back design and tuck box as well though. But as a collector, this one aint for me either. If it is a well thought game, i might consider.