« on: November 26, 2013, 08:38:15 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I don't...

I can't....

...What?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/markallender/2013-playing-cards-series?ref=search

I've searched the boards for this deck like 10 times. It must've sailed right under our radar. Not hard to see why.
Could the themes of these 4 decks possibly be less related? And it looks like the Futura Black was once a Led Zepplin deck that got canned due to a licensing snafu.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:47:39 AM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Re: 2014 Playing Card Series (KS)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 12:21:59 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
I don't see your pictures MrMollusk.  I've check out his Kickstarter a while back.  He did have some Led Zeppelin issues. 4 decks is way to many for a first timer, but I did like the idea he was making a deck with his daughter's dragon drawings.  Pretty cute.   I noticed his International shipping seems a bit low. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 12:25:25 AM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 01:46:01 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
That's odd.  The pictures look fine on my computer.

Funnily enough, I actually think the Dragons deck is by far the best of the 4. The dragons have genuine personality to them. It's kind neat.

But the other three are just more fodder.

EDIT: You can't see the pictures because the creator changed them. You can still see previews on the project page.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:47:16 AM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 07:05:14 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I actually saw this project on KS but it didn't register strongly with me.  Four decks from a new guy on the block?  Overambitious, indeed.  It's not like they're terrible decks, but it's not like they're outstanding, either.

Futura Black - functional but boring.

Helvetica - fonts as deck themes are overdone, and this is one of the less functional ones I've seen.

Dragons - tweak the indices and I think there's a good deck in there.  Also, ditch the Courier typeface for something a bit more medieval.  Courier is a terrible choice for a deck design such as this.

Metal Solids - at least the courts are whimsical-looking, so there's a kawaii-for-nerds factor in there.

One thing they're ALL missing: images of the card backs!  These could be nothing but solid white on the back and we'd have no idea!  It shocks me that people fund a project like this without seeing all of the deck elements.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 10:08:16 PM »

vmagic

Can't believe this crap is actually funded. Too bad it will only be 3 decks instead of 4 unless they get their copyright stuff sorted out.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 06:33:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Can't believe this crap is actually funded. Too bad it will only be 3 decks instead of 4 unless they get their copyright stuff sorted out.

I don't know if you realized, but the "Led Zeppelin" deck was scrapped and replaced with "Futura Black".  No lawsuit, no copyright issues, nothing...  It's VERY loosely based on a Flaming Lips album, but so loosely it's like a five-year-old putting on Mommy's dress...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 08:32:15 AM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
Being a student studying Mechanical Engineering, I was interested to see the Metal Solids deck. The box drew me in pretty quickly. Unfortunately, after checking out the cards, I lost interest. I was hoping to see something more like the box itself. If they had included the dimensions and the angles, it would have definitely been an interesting deck. Since I am no artist, I wouldn't have any idea on how to include this in your cards but I am sure that it is something that is feasible to do. Just a thought. Not getting my $10 anymore =(