You are Here:
1001 Nights ♦️ Magic From The Golden Age ♦ Printed by USPCC

Author (Read 6007 times)

soleil

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
You guys were the best in my previous campaigns in helping me along. I hope you see the improvement from my previous decks :)

Have a look and let me know what you all think.

http://kck.st/2UnBs5E

Re: 1001 Nights ♦️ Magic From The Golden Age ♦ Printed by USPCC
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 06:08:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I love the artwork for this one.  Just backed it for four decks.

Might have to increase that if my wife sees them!

I love how you were able to create the art with an iPad Pro.  I've been considering getting one as a laptop replacement!  I bet you can't wait for the new Photoshop for iPad Pro, coming next year!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 12:50:11 PM »

soleil

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Thank you so much Don! Means so much coming from you!

Hehe, please show your wife  :D

Yes - I love my iPad. I got it when I started sketching this deck last fall and have been so happy with it. Procreate is such an intuitive and powerful tool.

I am excited to see what Adobe will do - Photoshop is such a massive tool - and making it good to use is quite a challenge...

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 02:16:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thank you so much Don! Means so much coming from you!

Hehe, please show your wife  :D

Yes - I love my iPad. I got it when I started sketching this deck last fall and have been so happy with it. Procreate is such an intuitive and powerful tool.

I am excited to see what Adobe will do - Photoshop is such a massive tool - and making it good to use is quite a challenge...

Let me ask you, on the subject of that iPad Pro (and if we get too far off-topic, I'll split this off to a new topic) - how is it in terms of things like file management and backing up of data?

Here's what I currently do with my setup at home.  I have a MacBook Pro 13", mid-2014, with a 256 Gb solid state drive and another 256 Gb of "internal" storage via an SD card.  At home, I have an Apple TV 4K on the living room 4K TV, plus a Western Digital MyCloud drive.  The MyCloud is great, though it can be a little finicky at times - it's a network drive that's Internet-accessible, so I can get my files from anywhere and on nearly any device that has Internet access.  That has 8 Tb of internal storage, with another 8 Tb connected externally that's used just for copying the files on the internal drive as protection in case of drive failure.  I use an iPhone XS, which works very smoothly with the other devices - the phone and computer can "screen share" with the TV, no problems, and there's a lot of cross-connectivity between the phone and computer for things like calls, texting, FaceTime, etc.

What do I do with all of that?  Not a hell of a lot, really - at least not anything requiring serious "heavy lifting."  I use a word processor, a spreadsheet, a slideshow program, email and web, simple photo storage and image editing (amateur-level stuff, nothing pro-grade) and I stream/download a lot from iTunes.  The most intensive work I tend to do with it is really about pushing data around between the devices and the MyCloud+external drives.  For backups of the computer, I use two drives - one is an old WD MyBook connected to my AirPort Extreme router, the other is a shirt-pocket sized 1 Tb Seagate with USB 3, so I can back up at home and on the go.  The phone gets backed up to the MacBook Pro.

What I was trying to determine was, when the time comes that I need to replace the MacBook Pro (probably four year or so down the road, longer if I'm lucky), would an iPad Pro be an adequate substitute?  How would I download movies/TV/music from iTunes and back them up to the MyCloud drive?  Would I find that it just didn't cover enough bases to be a suitable replacement for my needs, or would I be thrilled that I could move off a laptop and onto a tablet without missing anything?  (And then there's the whole "usable lifespan" thing - I'm seeing that computers tend to have a much longer timeframe wherein they remain functional and are capable of being updated, while tablets max out after a few years, becoming more sluggish/less capable of running the latest version of their OS until finally they reach a point where they're no longer upgradeable.  (I still have a FIRST-GEN iPad, with WiFI/cellular and 64 Gb.  It runs, but not terribly well, and I haven't been able to update the OS for years!)

Granted, I'm asking a question about something that likely won't happen for a few years down the road yet (who knows what hardware/software changes will occur between now and then), but were I to make the switch today, I'm curious if I'd be happy with it or if I'd feel like I was somehow getting shortchanged.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 09:52:41 AM »

soleil

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hmm, not sure if I can really help you, as I do a lot things with my Macbook Pro that my iPad isnt able to do yet. But for your needs, it really just depends, if can you shift everything to a tablet: Tipping things works very well on a laptop which can be a little challenging on a tablet - I have seen people with external keyboards - but the screen size of the ipad is still something to be considered. I think for the storage of your media files you will be fine as long as you would keep it all in a cloud service.

Maybe you could get a newer iPad second hand to see what you are able to do on it and if you like it you can upgrade again and sell the secondhand one for the same price? That is how I check new tech - see if it even makes my workflow better...

When you find out what problem in your current flow your iPad could/should solve the right tech will fit neatly in your home...

Sorry not the biggest help  :(

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 02:23:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hmm, not sure if I can really help you, as I do a lot things with my Macbook Pro that my iPad isnt able to do yet. But for your needs, it really just depends, if can you shift everything to a tablet: Tipping things works very well on a laptop which can be a little challenging on a tablet - I have seen people with external keyboards - but the screen size of the ipad is still something to be considered. I think for the storage of your media files you will be fine as long as you would keep it all in a cloud service.

Maybe you could get a newer iPad second hand to see what you are able to do on it and if you like it you can upgrade again and sell the secondhand one for the same price? That is how I check new tech - see if it even makes my workflow better...

When you find out what problem in your current flow your iPad could/should solve the right tech will fit neatly in your home...

Hey, no sweat.  You raise a decent point about "tipping" (I presume you meant "typing").  Personally, I never had a problem with typing on the iPad screen, but I know a lot of people who never adapted to it very well.  I do actually carry a cheap Bluetooth keyboard in my bag for those rare occasions that I want to do a lot of typing on my iPhone.  I've been known to travel occasionally with just the iPhone, leaving the computer home.  It gets me online easily enough, I don't have to pay extra for Internet access/WiFi and if I want to watch a movie, I bring an adapter and an HDMI cable for plugging into the hotel room's TV.  I have a really cool HDMI cable, actually - it's very, very thin (thus easy to pack and carry) because it's a one-way cable, sending data to the TV but not sending data back, and it's ten feet long so it's long enough to keep plugged in while I'm lying in bed or sitting at the desk.  The adapter allows me to plug the iPhone into HDMI and Lightning port at the same time for simultaneous video display and charging - it simply mirrors what's on the phone onto an HDTV at 1080p.

There's also the fact that iPads go out of date faster than notebooks.  My iPad lasted about five years, give or take, before I was no longer able to upgrade to the latest version of iOS, while I've never gotten less than eight years out of a MacBook - and then, it was more of a hardware issue, such as no longer being able to replace the battery when it wears out because they stopped making it.  The computer was always capable of running the most recent version of MacOS, albeit not as fast as it once did - the memory and processor requirements for MacOS increase on a pretty shallow curve these days.

FYI - be on the look out for next year's models of iPad/iPhone.  There's a rumor circulating that Apple will eliminate the Lightning connector and change over to USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) - it's a faster port with more hardware available and they've already switched to it for their recent MacBooks.

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 12:32:46 PM »

soleil

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

Hey, no sweat.  You raise a decent point about "tipping" (I presume you meant "typing").  Personally, I never had a problem with typing on the iPad screen, but I know a lot of people who never adapted to it very well.  I do actually carry a cheap Bluetooth keyboard in my bag for those rare occasions that I want to do a lot of typing on my iPhone.  I've been known to travel occasionally with just the iPhone, leaving the computer home.  It gets me online easily enough, I don't have to pay extra for Internet access/WiFi and if I want to watch a movie, I bring an adapter and an HDMI cable for plugging into the hotel room's TV.  I have a really cool HDMI cable, actually - it's very, very thin (thus easy to pack and carry) because it's a one-way cable, sending data to the TV but not sending data back, and it's ten feet long so it's long enough to keep plugged in while I'm lying in bed or sitting at the desk.  The adapter allows me to plug the iPhone into HDMI and Lightning port at the same time for simultaneous video display and charging - it simply mirrors what's on the phone onto an HDTV at 1080p.

There's also the fact that iPads go out of date faster than notebooks.  My iPad lasted about five years, give or take, before I was no longer able to upgrade to the latest version of iOS, while I've never gotten less than eight years out of a MacBook - and then, it was more of a hardware issue, such as no longer being able to replace the battery when it wears out because they stopped making it.  The computer was always capable of running the most recent version of MacOS, albeit not as fast as it once did - the memory and processor requirements for MacOS increase on a pretty shallow curve these days.

FYI - be on the look out for next year's models of iPad/iPhone.  There's a rumor circulating that Apple will eliminate the Lightning connector and change over to USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) - it's a faster port with more hardware available and they've already switched to it for their recent MacBooks.

I am really excited for them to switch to USB-C - everything becomes easier when all the cables are the same  :D

BTW: 1001 Nights is FUNDED :) Thank you all for your support!

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 03:49:59 AM »

DahkovSergey

• Newcomer
Interesting work, informative. They want to be considered.