Verana & Inverno Playing Cards by Seasons/Alex Chin [KS]

Author (Read 16990 times)

Re: Verana & Inverno Playing Cards by Seasons/Alex Chin
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 08:21:13 PM »

IAmTheChin

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

• Facebook:
So this isn't the most glamorous link in the world but it will be the most efficient way to see people's thoughts on the upcoming set. I'm hoping by collecting this data it will better help me cater the final launch to what people are anticipating.

It takes about 2 minutes to complete.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/P6Y7WFH

Thanks for your support. Looking forward to your feedback!
SEASONS Playing Cards - Changing Design

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 02:20:46 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
So this isn't the most glamorous link in the world but it will be the most efficient way to see people's thoughts on the upcoming set. I'm hoping by collecting this data it will better help me cater the final launch to what people are anticipating.

It takes about 2 minutes to complete.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/P6Y7WFH

Thanks for your support. Looking forward to your feedback!

Thanks for the link! From the looks of it, you're going to Kickstarter?

Can't wait for the release! The seasons are some of my all-time favorite decks!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 01:53:07 PM »

D. Dorn

• True Member
Just did the survey.  Thanks for taking our thoughts into consideration!

I'm currently playing with the seronda deck, at my computer while typing this.  Stunning... one of my favorite black decks.

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 08:14:05 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Can't wait Alex  :)

...and thanks for collaborating

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 10:36:37 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Can't wait for this! Subscribing to this thread in hopes of getting an early heads-up when the launch is coming...=)

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 08:02:51 PM »

IAmTheChin

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

• Facebook:
I closed out the survey. Thanks again guys. I got a lot of valuable feedback from it and applied it to the deck. The color schemes finally figured themselves out in a way that I think everyone will agree works and enjoys. Stay tuned for more pictures and updates as the KS date comes closer.

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014, 08:43:33 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I closed out the survey. Thanks again guys. I got a lot of valuable feedback from it and applied it to the deck. The color schemes finally figured themselves out in a way that I think everyone will agree works and enjoys. Stay tuned for more pictures and updates as the KS date comes closer.

Curious how the results of the survey turned out!

PS: Cool of you to take the survey in the first place...=)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:43:49 AM by aldazar »

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2014, 12:03:02 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:05:19 AM by Rob Wright »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2014, 09:22:36 AM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
I hope you decide to stay with USPCC, Alex. I know there's a lot of talk about EPCC these days but in my mind they're not yet producing quality cards that can match USPCC if we're talking handling.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2014, 10:46:05 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I hope you decide to stay with USPCC, Alex. I know there's a lot of talk about EPCC these days but in my mind they're not yet producing quality cards that can match USPCC if we're talking handling.

I second that...

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2014, 10:15:03 PM »

IAmTheChin

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

• Facebook:

After looking over the feedback that everyone participated in I took some time to modify and upgrade the decks.

Verana (Summer) will have a metallic gold accent on a white deck while Inverno (Winter) will have a metallic silver/blue accent on a black deck.

Also if you like Seasons it would be super duper cool if you could nominate me :) It takes about a minute to do. http://playingcardawards.com/nominations/

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 01:00:56 AM by Rob Wright »

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2014, 07:57:02 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
August is turning out to be quite the month. Really looking forward to this.  :D
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2014, 10:52:08 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

After looking over the feedback that everyone participated in I took some time to modify and upgrade the decks.

Verana (Summer) will have a metallic gold accent on a white deck while Inverno (Winter) will have a metallic silver/blue accent on a black deck.

Also if you like Seasons it would be super duper cool if you could nominate me :) It takes about a minute to do. http://playingcardawards.com/nominations/

They both look amazing! I personally prefer the Winters, but I'm partial to blue...

Can't wait to get my hands on these! You'll definitely be seeing a pledge from me!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 01:03:15 AM by Rob Wright »

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »

IAmTheChin

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Here are some more comprehensive shots of Verana. These summer decks will compliment the winter with a gold accent. These decks are made to emphasize the transitioning nature of the Seasons so it was important to keep our iconic box design. This way they are able to work with Primavera and Seronda as well.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:58:02 AM by Rob Wright »

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2014, 12:53:54 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Kardify.com

15 hours ago

August 26th on Kardify.com 1ON1...

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2014, 02:11:53 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
@ IAmTheChin:

I like everything I'm seeing and hearing so far. Happy to hear the gold and blue/silver will be metallic inks. I was not sure per the survey I participated in. :))

I think the face cards are going to make or break this project for me. I noticed what looks to be a very nice looking updated court face your using as your discourse logo. Are you revamping all the court cards from previous Seasons Decks?

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 02:12:39 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2014, 08:58:51 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Any update on the timing (as in time of day) of the KS launch for this project?

Edited as I realized it's next week, not this week...=P
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:05:30 AM by aldazar »

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2014, 09:12:33 AM »

IAmTheChin

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Any update on the timing (as in time of day) of the KS launch for this project?

Edited as I realized it's next week, not this week...=P

It's set for 4pm CST.

@ IAmTheChin:

I think the face cards are going to make or break this project for me.

I'm going to post pictures later today of the court cards. I'd love to hear your opinions on it.

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2014, 03:43:38 PM »

IAmTheChin

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Looking for last minute opinions (and why)!

This is something that I absolutely love about the set but it is something that I feel people might have strong feelings about. The Seasons set is about emphasizing the change in design that this deck goes through over time, from the colors to the designs. I decided that it would make most sense if the winter deck expressed true duality with the summer set by being the only deck in the series with a reverse pip orientation.

Full Resolution Image: http://s4f73d8f8a28ce.img.gostorego.com/809E82/cdn/media/s4/f7/3d/8f/8a/28/ce/court_card_comparisons.jpg

I just wanted to see if this is something that would really turn you on/off. It makes so much sense to me to have the pips this way but if this is too much change I can always bring it back. Trying to gauge people's thoughts on this. Thanks again!

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2014, 04:55:51 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Looking for last minute opinions (and why)!

This is something that I absolutely love about the set but it is something that I feel people might have strong feelings about. The Seasons set is about emphasizing the change in design that this deck goes through over time, from the colors to the designs. I decided that it would make most sense if the winter deck expressed true duality with the summer set by being the only deck in the series with a reverse pip orientation.

I just wanted to see if this is something that would really turn you on/off. It makes so much sense to me to have the pips this way but if this is too much change I can always bring it back. Trying to gauge people's thoughts on this. Thanks again!

I'm completely turned off by indices in the reverse orientation. They make me have a frownie face and would completely mess up my poker game. I don't think the deck would be functional for any of the groups I play with.  98% of the decks I pick up are intended for use. I don't think that reverse indices would help with the whole 4.5 tricks I can do either haha.

If it's for artistic reasons, far be it for me to stifle creativity, I still caution against it. If the indices are in the right positions, I can live with reverse pips on the courts. That's not a major breaker for use at all. That may be a possible compromise. :)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2014, 05:16:23 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
@ IAmTheChin

Here is my honest opinion:

1. I would not mess around with the pips! keep them simple and solid like platinum edition. The function of the pips is extremely important. Your pips were already different. These are overkill. You want to keep some continuity to the original seasons.

2. The design background on the number cards is too much. It worked with the Lee's empire deck. It looks cheap here. Its not your best design. Clean and Functional, you can't go wrong.

3. This is not as big of a concern as my #1 and #2 because I love the color of gold. However, the original seasons tuck's had gold. I was thinking maybe a metallic"Red/Gold" might be better. Still summer but it balances the Blue/Silver of the Black deck much better as a set.

Right now #1 and #2 are stopping me from backing this deck. That's just me. I'm sure others will love it and still buy it either way. I know its tough as a designer using restraint. You always want to push the envelope and do more. Your original pips were classic.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:18:17 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2014, 05:45:22 PM »

IAmTheChin

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Don't worry guys. After the initial responses I've been hearing, I will definitely be doing standard pip orientation lol.

@ IAmTheChin
Your original pips were classic.

@Card Player
1) I loved the idea of keeping the pips the same for consistency but I felt a large pressure from the current decks on the market to upgrade the pips and add the background flourishes. I almost even eliminated the color red from Winter but just couldn't bring myself to do it.  Are you saying that you would much rather prefer the old pips as they were?

2) The red-gold accent is an interesting idea  that I actually tried out before (along with green) but had very little luck with. The red was a bit overwhelming on the court cards The voted color schemes were:
Winter: Black/Silver/Blue
Summer: White/Gold/Red

When I had a tinted red gold it was a bit too much. When I tried a green instead of gold it looked too tacky. It would be neat if they didn't double up on the first editions but the voted color schemes just made so much sense and they just look so darn good :)

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2014, 06:05:09 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I thought orange would be very striking, but that was probably just me lol.  :)

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2014, 06:32:15 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Are you saying that you would much rather prefer the old pips as they were?

Yes, Exactly.

2) The red-gold accent is an interesting idea  that I actually tried out before (along with green) but had very little luck with. The red was a bit overwhelming on the court cards The voted color schemes were:
Winter: Black/Silver/Blue
Summer: White/Gold/Red

You already have some red in the red pip courts. I agree with you, it being overwhelming simply swamping the gold. I think the courts look great.

It does not have to be a pure yellow gold though. Maybe a rose/gold is closer to what I was thinking. Rose/Gold seems to be very popular these days. Just a suggestion.

All the best
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 06:32:31 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2014, 07:06:27 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
2. The design background on the number cards is too much. It worked with the Lee's empire deck. It looks cheap here. Its not your best design. Clean and Functional, you can't go wrong.

I'm not a traditionalist and a collector, so.....

I really like it when there is a background on the number cards.  If I'm paying for a custom deck, I want it CUSTOM.  However, I do agree it is a bit too in your face on the black.  If you can make that more subtle it would be a winner for me.  It worked well with Federal series and I think it works well on your white backed deck very well.  I can see argument about keeping it like the originals, but I really like this.