ART OF PLAY - Adding Custom Seals

Author (Read 5675 times)

Re: ART OF PLAY - Adding Custom Seals
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2014, 02:45:37 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I agree there is a difference. That was sort of my (poorly written) point as well. But neither you or EPCC explain which one of those differences EPCC will be involved with in the future. Only that they also will be involved and there is a difference. I have no problem with your "Eddie Bauer" example. The answer we seem to be dancing around, is the seal going on during factory production or after factory production? I only bring this up because we were asked what we think by Expert P.C. Co.. I can't give helpful feedback without the complete facts. Otherwise, why ask us? They are going to do what they want anyway.

Unlike Art of Play or Dealing Deuces, Expert Playing Card Company is a manufacturer, not a retailer, so I'm thinking they'll likely be doing it at the factory, "under the cellophane" as it were.  EPCC is the "SUV maker" and Conjuring Arts is the "Eddie Bauer" in this example, having a custom-sealed version of the deck made for sale in the Conjuring Arts shop as part of the standard-issue print run of a given deck that's been ordered for manufacture by EPCC.  When it's done this way and it's what the designer is fine with, more power to 'em.  I find it problematic only when a retailer is inventing their own version of someone else's deck by slapping a seal on it after the fact and calling it "rare" or "special edition".

+1, I concur!

I find it ominous that you agree with me on your 666th post...  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2014, 05:32:47 PM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Sorry I wasn't clear in my first post.

Expert Playing Card Company will ONLY do this in agreement with the designers/publishers. The versions using our seal or other changes will be official, unaltered productions done at the factory. Thus they will be versions that are a little different but still "As Issued".
Hope that helps clear things up.

If it's in agreement with the designer, it's a great idea.
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2014, 09:14:55 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

I agree there is a difference. That was sort of my (poorly written) point as well. But neither you or EPCC explain which one of those differences EPCC will be involved with in the future. Only that they also will be involved and there is a difference. I have no problem with your "Eddie Bauer" example. The answer we seem to be dancing around, is the seal going on during factory production or after factory production? I only bring this up because we were asked what we think by Expert P.C. Co.. I can't give helpful feedback without the complete facts. Otherwise, why ask us? They are going to do what they want anyway.

Unlike Art of Play or Dealing Deuces, Expert Playing Card Company is a manufacturer, not a retailer, so I'm thinking they'll likely be doing it at the factory, "under the cellophane" as it were.  EPCC is the "SUV maker" and Conjuring Arts is the "Eddie Bauer" in this example, having a custom-sealed version of the deck made for sale in the Conjuring Arts shop as part of the standard-issue print run of a given deck that's been ordered for manufacture by EPCC.  When it's done this way and it's what the designer is fine with, more power to 'em.  I find it problematic only when a retailer is inventing their own version of someone else's deck by slapping a seal on it after the fact and calling it "rare" or "special edition".

+1, I concur!

I find it ominous that you agree with me on your 666th post...  :))

I noticed that too. I do agree with you more times then not. It usually takes us a few posts to get there. :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 10:45:58 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2014, 10:42:08 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Yeesh.

If they are doing this without the deck designer's approval, it's way out of line for them. They should also advertise it on the decks that they're putting it on.

My biggest concern is that fact that they'd have to remove the cellophane to add them. As a deck collector, I like my decks to be sealed on arrival.

It does look nice, though.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2014, 01:06:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Yeesh.

If they are doing this without the deck designer's approval, it's way out of line for them. They should also advertise it on the decks that they're putting it on.

My biggest concern is that fact that they'd have to remove the cellophane to add them. As a deck collector, I like my decks to be sealed on arrival.

It does look nice, though.

This could end up being a tempest in a teapot.  Thus far, I don't think anyone's reported actually receiving a deck from them with their seal on it.  I know I didn't when I placed a recent order.  We've only seen an image on Instagram, that's it.

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2014, 10:22:03 AM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
From what I hear they aren't adding these to any decks they're selling. They've been giving away the custom seals for people to use as they please.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2014, 02:29:22 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
From what I hear they aren't adding these to any decks they're selling. They've been giving away the custom seals for people to use as they please.

If that's what AOP are doing then I like the idea. It's much better then getting one of those advertising stickers. Magic companies are always selling or giving away extra seals.

Thanks for the info Marcus!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 11:04:42 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2014, 03:49:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

If that's what AOP are doing then I like the idea. It's much better then getting one of those advertising stickers. Magic companies are always selling or giving away extra seals.

Thanks for the info Marcus!

Owner's choice is the best option.  The buyer chooses their own preference.