You are Here:
United States ARMY deck - by Jackson Robinson (KS Jan. 24, 2015)

Author (Read 22967 times)

Re: United States ARMY deck - by Jackson Robinson / Kings Wild Project
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2014, 03:24:08 PM »

chach

• Forum Regular
I'm in for sure, lots of family and friends connected to the Army, will be first time I go for at least a brick.

Will any proceeds be donated to Veterans Organizations?  Sure seems like this would be a great way to raise some awareness and help our vets.
-El Guapo

ISO - Vietnam vintage Bicycle Secret Weapon Aces of Spades deck.

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2014, 11:14:40 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Coming August 30th to KS (courtesy Kardify-thanks Tony)

Front & Back of Standard Edition based on the original.
Jackson, are you sticking with the 101, or are you going with the traditional 303?- Just an idea, what about a small change like 304.

Premium Editions Branded/Un-Branded

and finally the Limited Edition
Jackson, are you willing to give a print run on the Limited Edition?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 11:18:21 PM by Rob Wright »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2014, 12:58:06 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Coming August 30th to KS (courtesy Kardify-thanks Tony)

Front & Back of Standard Edition based on the original.
Jackson, are you sticking with the 101, or are you going with the traditional 303?- Just an idea, what about a small change like 304.

Premium Editions Branded/Un-Branded

and finally the Limited Edition
Jackson, are you willing to give a print run on the Limited Edition?

Rob,

I will be going with the original 303 number to stay true to the tradition of the original deck but I will be using my own court cards instead of the original 303 set.

The LTD Army deck will be a 1000 print run and just like the the LTD Independence each LTD deck will come with a display deck as well. The LTD Editions will also come with Gilded edges from USPCC, however the display decks will NOT be gilded with gold foil but still have the LTD card sets.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2014, 10:23:04 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

oooooh shiny  8)

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2014, 10:27:23 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

oooooh shiny  8)

USPCC will be doing my gilding of the LTD decks :)
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2014, 10:51:47 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
.......so that's what my 1st gilded deck is going to look like  :)

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2014, 05:05:48 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
May I submit to a 12 month payment plan?

Gorgeous as always Jackson.  Spectacular.
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2014, 07:03:26 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Here is a simple break down of the pledge tiers. I tried to offer a wide range of both decks and price points so I could continue to create the type of decks i like and also offer a more cost effective deck that is still a Kings Wild deck.

Some of you have asked me, "Why are you not doing this on Kings Wild Funded?" It's simple really. I will be targeting a much larger audience with this deck and it a no brainer to utilize Kickstarter for this deck.

Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2014, 07:04:06 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
tiers continued
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2014, 07:26:53 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
May I assume the Premium and Limited have the custom courts you were mentioning, while the 're-imagined' is more like the original deck?  Thanks for sharing these details, hopefully some sneak peaks at the courts isn't far behind?  Hmmmmm????  ;)

« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2014, 07:28:56 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
May I assume the Premium and Limited have the custom courts you were mentioning, while the 're-imagined' is more like the original deck?  Thanks for sharing these details, hopefully some sneak peaks at the courts isn't far behind?  Hmmmmm????  ;)

Yes the premium editions have a unique set of court cards. As well the LTD editions as yet another set of court cards.

Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2014, 02:39:02 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
8/27/14

Kings Wild Project

One of the most humbling aspect of my upcoming United States Army Playing Card project is the opportunity I have to honor some of the members of my own family who fought and some who died in the line of service. This is my Grandfather Truett Mayes whom I never had the pleasure to meet but who had an incredibly powerful impact on my life.

8/28/14

Kings Wild Project

This Saturday at 12pm Central the Kings Wild Project, officially licensed United States Army project goes live on Kickstarter. Be there. Presented by Kings Wild Project and Nomades Collection

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 01:01:20 AM by Rob Wright »

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2014, 06:14:51 PM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
I wonder what led to the decision do the black ops version in simply black and white. Not to take anything away from it but that sepia toned one just pops in comparison. I guess I am just complimenting the colorized vs the other one here. If I hadn't seen them side by side I would probably appreciate the black and white one more but in this example it just gets overshadowed. I do like how it is a white background without aging though. It'll be nice to have a deck with faux aged and normal white backed versions in the same project. Stellar artwork yet again Jackson. I look forward to each release.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 06:27:19 PM by Josh Blackmon »
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2014, 08:02:37 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I wonder what led to the decision do the black ops version in simply black and white. Not to take anything away from it but that sepia toned one just pops in comparison. I guess I am just complimenting the colorized vs the other one here. If I hadn't seen them side by side I would probably appreciate the black and white one more but in this example it just gets overshadowed. I do like how it is a white background without aging though. It'll be nice to have a deck with faux aged and normal white backed versions in the same project. Stellar artwork yet again Jackson. I look forward to each release.

So there are stylistic reasons and technical answers to your questions.  I wanted to convey 2 different types of moods with the premium and the black ops. With the premium I wanted to invoke the feeling of memories and that "old photograph" vibe. I wanted the black ops to be all business as the name exudes. I also wanted there to be a stark contrast from black, white and gold edges. I originally had the old paper texture on the black ops deck but had to change to the white when USPCC informed me that if I gilded the edges I could have ink on the edges as the gilding process would melt the ink on the edge. I also wanted to experiment with my detailed line work on a white "un inked" background.

In the end gilding is something I really wanted to try as I hadn't done it yet so making some of the artistic decisions were easier.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2014, 10:00:27 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Looks like you're going to fund in the first 12 hours. That's pretty impressive for $45k goal. :) I really like that the Bicycle branded deck was dropped, keeping them Army branded makes them much sharper as a set. Whether intentional or unintentional from bicycles new stance on KS. Great idea imho. :)

Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2014, 10:59:01 PM »

Josh Blackmon

• Forum Regular
  • L-I-V-I-N

• Facebook:
Thanks for the info! Looking at the kickstarter photo with the gilded black ops deck from the back really does look good. Methinks the black and white with gold trim is going to turn out pretty classy.
Josh Blackmon

« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2014, 11:50:03 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
@Jackson - How did you talk the USPCC into doing a 1500 glided deck run?  I thought their minimum was 15,000.  I know it's costing you an arm and leg to do it.  Even at 15,000 decks the cost was like 1 and a half times a normal deck.  I hope you get the gilding bug.  It fits right in to your ultra LE decks.  I hope you consider doing a silver one.  In the past, I've seen a lot of 1st edition gold ones, but not a lot of silver ones.  I'm just glad Ussi is not the only one bringing the art of gilding back.   Think about it.  Most of your LE decks are just going to sit on someones shelf and not be used cos they are so pretty.   

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:12:49 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2014, 09:32:52 PM »

doubledouble

• True Member
project cancelled...

« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2014, 10:15:16 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Good News, Bad News.

Let’s start with the bad news.

We will be canceling the project as of Wednesday October 1st. Kings Wild Project, along with my collaborating company Nomades, have decided to go in a different direction for the military decks over all. Because they are in a series, we want there to be continuity throughout the service branches. Since nothing has been printed, changes are much easier in this stage of the game than later.

We could attempt to make the necessary changes on this existing project but the confusion would be outrageous for backers and any kind of fulfillment.

Good News?...

We will be relaunching “Army 2.0” with a different direction in a short time. You will still be able to have an awesome Army deck, give them as gifts and honor the Army! You just have to wait a bit longer.

Just a part of the update, but is being cancelled. Looks like JR and Nomades, do not have the same vision. He also mentioned there being an issue with the gilding, so most likely not an option on the Army 2.0 launch.

I'm looking forward to what changes he has in mind.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2014, 06:16:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Plain and simple, gilding is a costly process that has to be done by hand.  The process to this day has not been automated.

He's right - making design changes to the series as a whole now is much simpler than having to "retcon" things afterwards or simply having an inconsistent series of decks.

I simply beg of him to GO EASY on the number of decks in a project.  Deck bloat is becoming a serious turn-off for me.  A simple project whose decks I really like suddenly costs an arm and both legs if I want the full set before time runs out.  A more gradual roll-out in separate projects makes the decks easier to manage financially, particularly for people wanting either complete sets or simply a healthy number of some of the designs.  When there's more than two or three designs to a project, it just gets tougher to keep track of and there's bound to be some people left dissatisfied.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2014, 11:58:18 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
What are you talking about Jackson is not Jackson without at least 4 decks coming out at the same time.  I would get close and cuddly with USPCC and be the poster child for the new 1000 deck minimum.  He likes Limited Edition decks.  I noticed all his decks in the past were in the Kickstarter category "Design"  he recently changed his Army deck t to the sub category "Graphic Design".  I guess he didn't like being 3 pages down to find his Kickstarter.  I would go for the jugular and have it in the category "Games" under the sub category "Playing Cards"  It might make a slight difference.   :) 

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2014, 12:30:41 AM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
What are you talking about Jackson is not Jackson without at least 4 decks coming out at the same time.  I would get close and cuddly with USPCC and be the poster child for the new 1000 deck minimum.  He likes Limited Edition decks.  I noticed all his decks in the past were in the Kickstarter category "Design"  he recently changed his Army deck t to the sub category "Graphic Design".  I guess he didn't like being 3 pages down to find his Kickstarter.  I would go for the jugular and have it in the category "Games" under the sub category "Playing Cards"  It might make a slight difference.   :)

I actually think the move to the 1000 minimum (which has now bee resended by USPCC) was one of the worst moves they could have made. Not only were they 6 months behind the curve the days of high priced decks are at an end and people will have to start producing the same level of quality but at a fraction of the price to stay viable. I honestly will not touch 1000 minimums with a 10 foot poll for a while now.

Also the return ARMY 2.0 will most likely have 1 deck and 1 deck only.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 12:31:36 AM by JacksonRobinson »
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2014, 03:02:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I actually think the move to the 1000 minimum (which has now bee resended by USPCC) was one of the worst moves they could have made. Not only were they 6 months behind the curve the days of high priced decks are at an end and people will have to start producing the same level of quality but at a fraction of the price to stay viable. I honestly will not touch 1000 minimums with a 10 foot poll for a while now.

Also the return ARMY 2.0 will most likely have 1 deck and 1 deck only.

I will add that while there is a place for a "boutique deck" that has a very short run, too many people are making nothing but boutique decks.  Where is the next Ellusionist, the next Theory11, the next Big Blind Media of the playing card business?  A company that will make a larger print run, will sell decks at a lower price, will print more if the demand justifies it?  Basically, an unlimited custom deck?  There's so very few of them out there now, compared with all these "one-off" decks.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2014, 11:14:27 AM »

Yin

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Plain and simple, gilding is a costly process that has to be done by hand.  The process to this day has not been automated.

He's right - making design changes to the series as a whole now is much simpler than having to "retcon" things afterwards or simply having an inconsistent series of decks.

I simply beg of him to GO EASY on the number of decks in a project.  Deck bloat is becoming a serious turn-off for me.  A simple project whose decks I really like suddenly costs an arm and both legs if I want the full set before time runs out.  A more gradual roll-out in separate projects makes the decks easier to manage financially, particularly for people wanting either complete sets or simply a healthy number of some of the designs.  When there's more than two or three designs to a project, it just gets tougher to keep track of and there's bound to be some people left dissatisfied.

I would just like to say that I agree with Don about the number of decks being offered in a project. Deck Overload? :P
It's become a turnoff and I can't afford to purchase so many of 3, 4 deck "sets", so I had to do without a few others. I usually buy about 4 decks of each so that I can keep one and play with the rest and it's more ideal because of the international shipping. To ship 1 deck costs about $8 and 4 decks about $16. So when there is a 4 deck project I usually pledge for 2 sets, or just 1 when I'm feeling the pinch that month.
Also, sometimes there might be a deck in the "set" that I don't like, but it gets bundled together in a cheaper price than when purchased or added on seperately.

Re: United States ARMY deck - by Jackson Robinson (KS Jan. 24, 2015)
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2015, 10:06:18 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Kings Wild Project

Officially Licensed US Army playing cards. Returning to Kickstarter on Saturday January 24th, 2015.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB