It begins.

http://shop.dananddave.com/playing-cards/mystery-deck.html

But this time, it's 9.95 a pop. I guess all that wax and twine is expensive :/
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Re: Dan and Dave: Mystery deck V2
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 01:17:21 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
Yeah, weren't they only 6 or 7 dollars last year? And 10 this year for a lot of the same decks. I got several of the Ask Alexander decks last year so I'm gonna pass this time.

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 01:26:05 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Did I spot a pack of Massas in there?  I'm going to pay $10 for the chance to get a $2 deck?!  Nope.  There's some nice decks there, but I own or don't want most of the ones I see displayed.  Oh, there's over a hundred different decks, sure, but if some of them are Studs and Massas and assorted Fulton's decks, I'm not so sure I'd wanna spend $10 on the chance of getting a goose egg that could be had for less or that I simply don't want.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 05:22:38 PM »

chach

• Forum Regular
I agree. At first I was excited for another round then I read what kind of cards would be available and how a lot of them retail for less than the $10 asking price or that I wouldn't care to have because I already have them or couldn't care less about owning them.  And since my luck is usually rather horrible, I know I wouldn't score a good deck.  Easy pass for me. I'll spend the $10 on a beer at the hockey game tonight instead and be happier about the outcome.
-El Guapo

ISO - Vietnam vintage Bicycle Secret Weapon Aces of Spades deck.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 05:42:11 PM »

anhedonia

Is this even legal? Sounds like a lottery to me - guess that stuff's okay in Vegas, though the USPS may look at it differently.
Retail on Ask Alexander is $5.99, so $5.95 a pop is fine - but does every deck they send out have a retail of at least $9.99?
(Or would they claim the butcher paper, twine and labor-intensive tying is enough to cover that cost?)

Regardless - can't trust them. Easy pass.

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 06:11:44 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
$10 each? Seriously? I'd rather buy Black JAQKs in bulk for half that per deck. This was one of the easiest passes of Black Friday.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 06:13:13 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
Is this even legal? Sounds like a lottery to me - guess that stuff's okay in Vegas, though the USPS may look at it differently.
Retail on Ask Alexander is $5.99, so $5.95 a pop is fine - but does every deck they send out have a retail of at least $9.99?
(Or would they claim the butcher paper, twine and labor-intensive tying is enough to cover that cost?)

Regardless - can't trust them. Easy pass.

It's perfectly legal as they are completely honest about what you'd get, a random deck, kind of like blind box designer toys. I understand the cost of time, packaging and etc, but I think it'd be more worthwhile if every deck they offered was at least what they're charging for it or close to that 10$. It'd suck to get pay for it and end up with the 2$ Massa. But I'm guessing the 10$ is probably the overall average cost of those 100 decks to D&D.

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 08:44:21 PM »

atsquare

Did I spot a pack of Massas in there?  I'm going to pay $10 for the chance to get a $2 deck?!  Nope.  There's some nice decks there, but I own or don't want most of the ones I see displayed.  Oh, there's over a hundred different decks, sure, but if some of them are Studs and Massas and assorted Fulton's decks, I'm not so sure I'd wanna spend $10 on the chance of getting a goose egg that could be had for less or that I simply don't want.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the deck you're referring to isn't Massas; it's the Bee Watermelon Deck.

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 09:07:37 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the deck you're referring to isn't Massas; it's the Bee Watermelon Deck.

You are correct.  Didn't feel like correcting them earlier. 

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 09:24:37 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
If I buy it, I'd feel like I'm buying decks that D&D are trying to get rid off...

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 09:48:12 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
I fell for it last year spending over $100 worth on the mystery decks. Didn't get squat. Not falling for it again this year.
- Adam

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
I fell for it last year spending over $100 worth on the mystery decks. Didn't get squat. Not falling for it again this year.

Just curious, but care to list of the decks you got?

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 10:04:08 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

You are correct.  Didn't feel like correcting them earlier.

I appreciate the info.  I don't own Watermelon Bees - I don't buy anything used for promotions by tobacco or alcohol companies, nor anything promoting drug use.

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 12:45:53 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I think at 1st glance this looks like a great opportunity, but like everyone has pretty much chimed in, hardly worth the gamble. I would think they would do better to at least guarantee you get your moneys worth or more.............but where's the profit in that  :P

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 01:41:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I think at 1st glance this looks like a great opportunity, but like everyone has pretty much chimed in, hardly worth the gamble. I would think they would do better to at least guarantee you get your moneys worth or more.............but where's the profit in that  :P

In your case, it might actually be worth it.  Your a new collector whose collection isn't as extensive as some of us, in which case you'd have a better shot at getting a deck that's at least uncommon and not in your collection.  You would, however, have the best shot of getting something good if you bought a decent number of decks, perhaps at least a half-brick.  Like winning a raffle, you have more chances if you buy more tickets.  Plus the fact remains that much of what they're offering is out-of-print.

Even the lowly pack of Studs I mentioned earlier is no longer available and going up in price; it's actually a decent quality deck with a unique back, Arrco faces and a quality level on par with Bicycles.  They were created as an exclusive for the Walgreens pharmacy chain as a less-expensive alternative to Bicycles and gained a following, but were recently axed in favor of the simpler "Play Right" Standard Playing Cards.  That was a dumb move, actually - the deck still comes in two colors, but one is standard index only while the other is jumbo index only; no way to make a matched poker set.

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 01:42:31 AM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
What's funny is the fact that D&D prices these decks at an astounding $10, when mystery deals like these are usually cheaper, as to entice comsumers and increase popularity. I know this store at my local mall where they have a mystery back worth double the price you pay for, simple because you don't know what you're getting. They need to work something out.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 02:01:24 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
What's funny is the fact that D&D prices these decks at an astounding $10, when mystery deals like these are usually cheaper, as to entice comsumers and increase popularity. I know this store at my local mall where they have a mystery back worth double the price you pay for, simple because you don't know what you're getting. They need to work something out.

They're probably basing their prices on a few factors: cost of the decks, cost of warehousing the decks, cost of wrapping materials, cost of employees to do the wrapping, increased shipping costs from last year and the high demand for last year's offer.  I'm not saying I like it, but I am saying that it's the probable cause for that price increase.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 02:14:49 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 09:05:40 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Your right in that with a small collection it would be a better "Chance" at scoring some cool decks. But as you also mentioned you would need to better your odds a bit and go at least 6 to 12 decks. But with the same, lets say $60, you could pick up some pretty nice cards AND you know what your getting for the cost invested, especially over this weekend with sales, promotions and discounts. I have 2 problems in general..........I'm picky and I have no luck what so ever, lol

But your point is very valid as I said, if your just starting and have the cash to do it, picking up a 6 pack or brick of these could probably be worth while.

With all the "Bargains" at the moment I just don't know if the release of these should have coincided with all the Black Friday releases. There are just too many attractive offers on decks where you know exactly what your getting.

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 09:18:35 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Just wanted to go off topic for just a moment...............who is it that doesn't like me agreeing with DON? Because it seems every time I do someone takes a Rep point away from me,lol  I don't care anymore, but I saw it happen right in front of my eyes and found it quite comical.

Now back to the topic at hand...........................

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 11:04:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

With all the "Bargains" at the moment I just don't know if the release of these should have coincided with all the Black Friday releases. There are just too many attractive offers on decks where you know exactly what your getting.

Yeah, but how often do you have a chance, albeit quite remote, of scoring a Jerry's Nugget for $10?  Again, for a newbie like you, it's not a bad deal AND if you're THAT fussy, you now have trading fodder to get something else you want - and if the fodder deck was worth at least $10, you're ahead of the trading game.

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 11:35:37 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
OK, but I'm pretty confident that the Jerry's Nuggets are going to be in the minority of that mystery pool, if not in the realm of one, maybe, two available. So I don't think the odds are equal across the decks that they are offering. You know as well as I do putting that particular deck in the marketing photo is done for just one reason.

Yes "A" chance is better than no chance. I still think I would be more interested if you at least got your money back on your Mystery Deck.

Now yes, I'm new to all of this and still learning and in the grand scheme your probably going to be on the up side buying six Mystery Decks, but we're looking at it from a $$ standpoint rather than the actual deck you receive. Right now I'm more comfortable seeing what I'm buying, and as for trade fodder, I think it's easier to toss in that extra deck or two when making your purchase.....ie, picking up a couple extra Exquisite, Legends and JAQK decks for half the cost.

Its a personal preference and I'm sure someone will get a great deck back on ONE Mystery purchase and prove me wrong, but that's OK. Maybe my tune will be different next year, lol

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 02:23:53 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

They're probably basing their prices on a few factors: cost of the decks, cost of warehousing the decks, cost of wrapping materials, cost of employees to do the wrapping, increased shipping costs from last year and the high demand for last year's offer.  I'm not saying I like it, but I am saying that it's the probable cause for that price increase.
Don't forger the price of the imprinted wax.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2013, 12:10:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Its a personal preference and I'm sure someone will get a great deck back on ONE Mystery purchase and prove me wrong, but that's OK. Maybe my tune will be different next year, lol

But by then they'll be $13 or $15 a deck...  :))

I'd never "forger" that.  Who'd want to make a forgery of a price?  Especially of wax?  :))

If I recall, they did use wax last year as well and I don't think the cost of sealing wax has increased dramatically in the past year, if at all.

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2013, 12:29:40 AM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member

I'd never "forger" that.  Who'd want to make a forgery of a price?  Especially of wax?  :))

If I recall, they did use wax last year as well and I don't think the cost of sealing wax has increased dramatically in the past year, if at all.

I looked at the page about the Mystery Deck from last year, version one just today. I saw that it was simply brown paper and string to tie it. I do not recall their being wax on it at all. But I do not feel that wax and increased shipping fees are worth $4. Just my opinion.

I read through it for the most part today to see if anybody received anything of value. I didn't really see anything that made it extremely worthwhile. I feel as a new collector, I have nothing really to lose by picking up a few. I might get 3 or 4 for shits and giggles and see what I end up with =D

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2013, 01:26:51 AM »

atsquare

I probably would have bought three of these for fun only to notice shipping alone costs me $27.

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2013, 06:58:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I looked at the page about the Mystery Deck from last year, version one just today. I saw that it was simply brown paper and string to tie it. I do not recall their being wax on it at all. But I do not feel that wax and increased shipping fees are worth $4. Just my opinion.

I read through it for the most part today to see if anybody received anything of value. I didn't really see anything that made it extremely worthwhile. I feel as a new collector, I have nothing really to lose by picking up a few. I might get 3 or 4 for shits and giggles and see what I end up with =D

Precisely - this is a great way for a new collector to bulk up the collection a wee bit, with a chance of hitting a real jackpot of a deck.  Not a strong chance, but a chance nonetheless.

I probably would have bought three of these for fun only to notice shipping alone costs me $27.

D&D have been known to have f'd up shipping for international orders.  Try contacting Customer Service and see if they can help - sometimes it's just a software glitch and a company will correct an order for a more reasonable shipping.

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2013, 02:05:18 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
OK, but I'm pretty confident that the Jerry's Nuggets are going to be in the minority of that mystery pool, if not in the realm of one, maybe, two available. So I don't think the odds are equal across the decks that they are offering. You know as well as I do putting that particular deck in the marketing photo is done for just one reason.

Yes "A" chance is better than no chance. I still think I would be more interested if you at least got your money back on your Mystery Deck.

Now yes, I'm new to all of this and still learning and in the grand scheme your probably going to be on the up side buying six Mystery Decks, but we're looking at it from a $$ standpoint rather than the actual deck you receive. Right now I'm more comfortable seeing what I'm buying, and as for trade fodder, I think it's easier to toss in that extra deck or two when making your purchase.....ie, picking up a couple extra Exquisite, Legends and JAQK decks for half the cost.

As a fairley new collector myself. There are a whole lot of decks out there I want, that are less than $10. Yea, you might get a really rare deck, but most likely not. won't be taking any chances on this.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2013, 05:37:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The thing of it is that they priced it too high.  $10 for a mystery deck isn't exactly a bargain, especially when some of the decks displayed wouldn't even be considered worth that much.

The Blue Crown had it right with their "Pandrea's Stash" special.  Decks were sold in lots of 3, 6 or 12 and the most expensive per-deck cost was the 3-pack - and it was HALF what Dan and Dave are asking for their "Mystery Decks".  Those were sold out in about 90 minutes - the only thing wrong with that deal was that it went so quickly.

I hear that term, Mystery Decks", and I'm reminded of cafeteria food in grade school - "mystery meat" made frequent menu appearances.  I don't think I'd have paid premium prices for it then, and I see no need to now.  Last year, at $7 a pack I thought I was just about getting my money's worth, but for $10, it's too high.

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2013, 09:47:14 PM »

Phegget

Those were sold out in 21 minutes - the only thing wrong with that deal was that it went so quickly.

Fixed. :)
uwotm8.

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 01:11:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Those were sold out in 21 minutes - the only thing wrong with that deal was that it went so quickly.

Fixed. :)

It was fast - but not THAT fast.  I checked in at 12:40 and there were some three-packs still in stock.

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 02:01:29 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
As I noted in a different thread, I bought 6 of these and I'll report to the group as soon as I open them.  Yes, $10/pack is steep, but I'm stockpiled on practice decks and several other collectible decks for someone with a relatively new collection.  Here is why I ended up purchasing them:
-I miss the practice of opening a surprise.  I would say most of us may have played some TCG (MTG, etc) or another through the years, and the potential for a rare pull is pretty enticing.
-Getting a variety (hopefully) of decks in one swift purchase without spending the time to browse ebay and many other sites is convenient.
-I don't expect to get Jerry's Nuggets, Fed 52s, etc...but I'm expecting at least ONE of the random decks to warrant excitement.
Do I suggest other people go through with it?  Not at all, it's certainly not for everybody (especially true collectors who could use $60 more wisely and especially if you're not buying in bulk).  If I get 6 Black Rounders I'll obviously never do this again.

I'll be on the moon if I get one of these: Jerry's (lol), Feds, v1-v3 S&M, Octopus Could Palm, Game of Death, Misc goods

I'll be extremely happy with the order if I get one of these: Imps, Split Spades, Ultimate Deck, Virtuoso, Fraggle Rock

What do I actually expect to get: Dealers or Rounders, White Lions, Bruce Lee Deck, Ultimate or October DD deck, Arrco of some Sort, v6 or a S&M reprint :-/

Wish me luck!
-B
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 04:42:08 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
They have to have a lot of less than $10 value decks to make a profit. If they sold 1000 decks for $10/each, and 900 of them were worth $10, 20 were worth $10, 50 were worth $20, 10 were worth $30, 10 were worth $40, 9 were worth $40+, and one was worth $300+, they would lose their shirts and be out of business in a hurry. You're taking a chance. If you bought a $10 raffle ticket for a deck of JNuggs, you'd either win the deck, or lose $10. Here, at least you'll recoup $2, maybe more. It's the same principle, just you at least get something, instead of all or nothing. They will make a lot of money on this promo, but they have to so that they can cover expenses, employees, warehousing and materials, and then still turn a profit. Would I buy a $10 ticket for the chance at a deck of JNuggs? Sure. Would I buy a mystery deck(s) on the longshot that I would get the Nuggets, but knowing that I's still at least get something, instead of nothing? Yes.If you don't like the promo, that's fine, you don't have to buy, but understaning what's going on helps a lot. Someone will "win" and get the JNuggs, you just have to decide if you're fine with that risk based on what you want to spend. Like every contest says in the small print "Many will enter, few will win".

Although I mention JNuggs in my points above, I know notice that they aren't on the deck list (I saw the DOTM pic and accidentally combined the two), the principle is the same. Bottom line is that they have to come out ahead to stay in business.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 04:45:50 PM by BiggerDee »

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2013, 05:16:43 PM »

flyers3003

• True Member
They have to have a lot of less than $10 value decks to make a profit.

This is only true if the current value of these decks is what they paid to acquire them.  I suspect that in most cases, certainly the case for their own decks, they paid significantly less than what they are worth now.  As long as they acquired most of these decks for less than $10, they are still making a profit.  Just not nearly as much as they could.

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2013, 05:25:31 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
As I noted in a different thread, I bought 6 of these and I'll report to the group as soon as I open them.  Yes, $10/pack is steep, but I'm stockpiled on practice decks and several other collectible decks for someone with a relatively new collection.  Here is why I ended up purchasing them:
-I miss the practice of opening a surprise.  I would say most of us may have played some TCG (MTG, etc) or another through the years, and the potential for a rare pull is pretty enticing.
-Getting a variety (hopefully) of decks in one swift purchase without spending the time to browse ebay and many other sites is convenient.
-I don't expect to get Jerry's Nuggets, Fed 52s, etc...but I'm expecting at least ONE of the random decks to warrant excitement.
Do I suggest other people go through with it?  Not at all, it's certainly not for everybody (especially true collectors who could use $60 more wisely and especially if you're not buying in bulk).  If I get 6 Black Rounders I'll obviously never do this again.

I'll be on the moon if I get one of these: Jerry's (lol), Feds, v1-v3 S&M, Octopus Could Palm, Game of Death, Misc goods

I'll be extremely happy with the order if I get one of these: Imps, Split Spades, Ultimate Deck, Virtuoso, Fraggle Rock

What do I actually expect to get: Dealers or Rounders, White Lions, Bruce Lee Deck, Ultimate or October DD deck, Arrco of some Sort, v6 or a S&M reprint :-/

Wish me luck!
-B

I'm very curious as to what this holds for you HandSkillz, I truly hope you do well  :D

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 06:39:28 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover

I'm very curious as to what this holds for you HandSkillz, I truly hope you do well  :D

Thanks Sparkz, I really appreciate it!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 06:39:52 PM by HandSkillz »
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2013, 07:18:36 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
If I get 6 Black Rounders I'll obviously never do this again.

Then you have nothing to fear.  They never carry Ellusionist decks for these things...  :))

The only "competitor" decks they carry other than some of the smaller independents are David Blaine, CARC and T11.  They're friendly with T11, and along with David Blaine they are members of the CARC Board of Directors.

Wish me luck!
-B

Your best shot is ending up with still-available D&D decks - Fulton's October, Bruce Lee, Steamboats, Bicycle New Fan Backs, S&M v7 decks other than Carbon.  Next likeliest would be still-available or recent T11 and CARC decks.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2013, 08:20:16 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
If I get 6 Black Rounders I'll obviously never do this again.

Then you have nothing to fear.  They never carry Ellusionist decks for these things...  :))

The only "competitor" decks they carry other than some of the smaller independents are David Blaine, CARC and T11.  They're friendly with T11, and along with David Blaine they are members of the CARC Board of Directors.

Wish me luck!
-B

Your best shot is ending up with still-available D&D decks - Fulton's October, Bruce Lee, Steamboats, Bicycle New Fan Backs, S&M v7 decks other than Carbon.  Next likeliest would be still-available or recent T11 and CARC decks.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

Ahh, i thought that anything for sale on their art of play site was possible.  I agree about what I'm likely to get though, I would actually be surprised if I didn't get a Bruce Lee Deck.

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2013, 10:29:46 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran

This is only true if the current value of these decks is what they paid to acquire them.  I suspect that in most cases, certainly the case for their own decks, they paid significantly less than what they are worth now.  As long as they acquired most of these decks for less than $10, they are still making a profit.  Just not nearly as much as they could.

When figuring how much profit they gain from this deal, you have to also consider how many people will be making a purchase. I'm sure a majority of you guys know more about business and economics than I do, but I have to think that while raising the price will gain more revenue per deck, you'd also be lowering the number of buyers. For example, I bought a brick of these mystery decks last year when they were only seven dollars, but due to the price increase I won't be buying any this time round. And from what I'm hearing, several others are in the same boat.
Now that may be partly attributed to the results we got last year (I got four of the same deck I already had and hated) but I think it'd be ludicrous to say that the price increase has nothing to do with it.

Just a thought that occurred to me and I didn't see anyone else mention it. Hopefully I got it across well enough.

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2013, 10:28:57 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

When figuring how much profit they gain from this deal, you have to also consider how many people will be making a purchase. I'm sure a majority of you guys know more about business and economics than I do, but I have to think that while raising the price will gain more revenue per deck, you'd also be lowering the number of buyers. For example, I bought a brick of these mystery decks last year when they were only seven dollars, but due to the price increase I won't be buying any this time round. And from what I'm hearing, several others are in the same boat.
Now that may be partly attributed to the results we got last year (I got four of the same deck I already had and hated) but I think it'd be ludicrous to say that the price increase has nothing to do with it.

Just a thought that occurred to me and I didn't see anyone else mention it. Hopefully I got it across well enough.

Very true, well stated.

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2013, 03:37:35 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
So exciting, the box is here!

Alright, really cool seals, cool brown wrapping!

Whomp Whomp Whomp Whoooomp.  Denim, Eco, 2 Smoke Reprints, Bruce Lee, and Fulton's clip joints.  That's a whopping $53.70 worth of cards for $60 + shipping.  Never again :(

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2013, 04:47:07 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
That's to bad, I can't believe you got duplicates though   ::)

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2013, 04:50:12 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover

Also upon closer inspection (you can see in the pic), several of the tuck boxes came damaged. Rough luck.

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2013, 05:54:03 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Oooooogh. That sucks, man.

I think you should ask D&D if you can return them anyway, or at least exchange them for another mystery deck. The fact that they're a "wild card" deal doesn't excuse them from the damage. I mean, it would be one thing if you just didn't like the decks, but they're damaged!

Also, it looks like things aren't much better for the people commenting on D&D's site.

I can't imagine how you could write a positive review if you got 3 duplicates of the Skull and crossbones deck.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2013, 06:32:26 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I think you should ask D&D if you can return them anyway, or at least exchange them for another mystery deck. The fact that they're a "wild card" deal doesn't excuse them from the damage. I mean, it would be one thing if you just didn't like the decks, but they're damaged!

Also, it looks like things aren't much better for the people commenting on D&D's site.

I can't imagine how you could write a positive review if you got 3 duplicates of the Skull and crossbones deck.

I said much the same in another topic.  If you receive damaged decks, they should be willing to replace them.

You can never go by their comments.  They vet them, letting nothing slip that negative - I have yet to see so much as one negative review.  That "I got three of a deck I don't like" guy still gave the deal five stars - I'm betting he's a loyal fanboy and wants to see his name on their site.  Wouldn't be the first time I've seen something like that.

I remember when D&D were paying people reward points for their reviews.  They were inundated with some really vacuous reviews, in many cases from people who couldn't possibly own the product yet because it just came out that day.  I don't know if they're continuing that program or not, since I rarely buy from them these days.  They do have a great magic library, but I have more magic than I know what to do with at the present.

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2013, 09:59:10 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

I said much the same in another topic.  If you receive damaged decks, they should be willing to replace them.

You can never go by their comments.  They vet them, letting nothing slip that negative - I have yet to see so much as one negative review.  That "I got three of a deck I don't like" guy still gave the deal five stars - I'm betting he's a loyal fanboy and wants to see his name on their site.  Wouldn't be the first time I've seen something like that.

I remember when D&D were paying people reward points for their reviews.  They were inundated with some really vacuous reviews, in many cases from people who couldn't possibly own the product yet because it just came out that day.  I don't know if they're continuing that program or not, since I rarely buy from them these days.  They do have a great magic library, but I have more magic than I know what to do with at the present.

If you don't know what to do with it, send it my way. Personally this is why I dont do mystery decks. I mean I am all for a surprise but when you get damaged goods, and duplicates its just not worth it.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2013, 10:35:53 PM »

yoel

• Forum Regular
Against my better judgement I sadly purchased 6 Mystery decks...Heres what I got..

1 - Fulton October
1 - Babel
2 - Aristocrats
2 - Vintage Plaids

I think the Buck Twins are full of crap personally.  They have a lot of nerve giving decks that they currently sell for lower prices.  Aristocrats currently sell on their website for $4.95 and the Vintage Plaids sell for $6.95.  Those decks should have never been included.  Don't get me wrong they are both excellent cards but the mystery deck is a complete scam.  Im happy that I at least got the Octobers despite the fact that I don't really care for the deck all that much. 

In general the D&D shopping experience is pretty terrible.  Their shipping is terribly slow and overpriced! The reviews are obviously pre screened. There are no poor or even mediocre reviews let through for buyers to see.  Even if people don't like the product they bribe you with a $1.00 credit to leave a good review.  The only reason that I purchased the decks is because I had "bucks" with them and figured I'd give it a go.  I would have obviously been better off saving my "bucks."

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2013, 10:44:51 PM »

walther

I also took a chance on a half Dozen:

2 Fulton October (Big Surprise)
1 Bee - Brown Squeezers
1 Titan (White)
1 Smoke & Mirror V4 (no seal)
1 Smoke & Mirror V5
at least the S&M decks were original and not the reprints and I didn't already have the Bee or Titan deck. So I guess all in all it wasn't too bad of a deal.

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2013, 11:03:49 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
I bought ONE of these out of curiosity. I'm sure I'll end up with something pretty underwhelming. Should arrive on Monday. I'll post what I get.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2013, 11:24:57 PM »

Alchemy8905

• Newcomer
I bought one out of curiosity, ended up getting Fulton's October.

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2013, 11:43:28 PM »

CrankUP

• Forum Regular

• Twitter:
I still love Dan and Dave...but I've always had the feeling that they are trying to turn their name into the "Abercrombie and Fitch" of the cardistry/magic world.
Broke for cards

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2013, 11:58:04 PM »

yoel

• Forum Regular
I still love Dan and Dave...but I've always had the feeling that they are trying to turn their name into the "Abercrombie and Fitch" of the cardistry/magic world.

I agree with the first part in regards to their skills with a deck of cards not their sales tactics... But the second part made me laugh and I agree completely.  Well put :)

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2013, 12:04:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I've heard that they're actually not doing so much cardistry these days and have switched to more magic performance.  Bill Kalush said this, and since he really knows them, I'm inclined to take his word for it.

It really does suck, what some of you have been getting for Mystery Decks.  I've heard only one unmitigated positive review here, and a lot of groans from people who feel they got gypped.  It was an infinitely better deal last year when the cost was only $7 a deck.

CrankUP: yes, but it might be more of a Ralph Lauren than A&F.  They're selling a "lifestyle" with some of their more atypical products.  Though I'll be the first to say that the hand lotion was good stuff - I should order more of it sometime soon.  It absorbed into the skin very quickly and didn't smell like my grandmother's perfume collection.

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2013, 02:29:16 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

Oh, man. It was awesome when they actually gave bucks for reviews. (or at least it was when they actually approved the reviews)

I've had 7 review bucks pending for nearly a year. They still haven't confirmed or denied them :/
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2013, 04:37:24 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Apparently, they are just trying to get rid of decks they can't sell.

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2013, 10:04:26 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Took a gamble and bought one (did the same thing last year and ended up with a red Fulton's casino). Should be arriving soon, I'll let y'all know what I get... probably won't be worth $10 though haha  :P

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2013, 12:59:43 AM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
I bit and bought 3.  They came today. 

V7 Mirror
Fournier 605 Brown
Fulton's Chinatown: Game of Death

All in all I think I was lucky enough to have gotten my moneys worth. 

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2013, 01:05:20 AM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover

V7 Mirror
Fournier 605 Brown

Chinatown Game of Death?  Sick pull.

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2013, 07:29:21 AM »

mirciusx

• Elite Member
  • love, peace, cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Indeed! Lucky one :)
"Art is never finished, only abandoned" – Leonardo daVinci

"Measure twice, cut once." - Don Boyer

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2013, 10:06:18 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

V7 Mirror
Fournier 605 Brown

Nice, I would say you got the best bang for your buck so far out of everyone reporting in, Gratz!

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2013, 12:51:02 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
My deck just arrived, it's a V7 Mirror. Not awful, since they are out of stock on D&D's site, but I still could have done a lot better lol  :P

« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2013, 04:15:49 PM »

see_squared

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
The way I see it...anyone who bought Mystery Decks knew exactly what they were getting...a mystery.  It doesn't matter what the cards are, if you decided to spend your money on a Mystery Deck then you should have zero expectations.  Oh yeah, don't forget about the enormous amount of time I'm sure it took to wrap each deck with paper, twine and the seal. 

« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2013, 04:58:11 PM »

yoel

• Forum Regular
The way I see it...anyone who bought Mystery Decks knew exactly what they were getting...a mystery.  It doesn't matter what the cards are, if you decided to spend your money on a Mystery Deck then you should have zero expectations.  Oh yeah, don't forget about the enormous amount of time I'm sure it took to wrap each deck with paper, twine and the seal.

There is no twine.. The seal is nothing complicated its just a sticker made to look like a wax seal.  Yes it takes time but its not that difficult.  Depending on the amount of decks the made up to sell id say it was a 1-2 day operation.  I feel that the price charged was a bit too much.  If they kept the same pricing as last year it would be a good value and I would agree that people should have zero expectations.  Being they are charging you 10 bucks per deck you should not be getting 5 dollar cards that are in stock and regularly priced.

« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2013, 06:37:06 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover

Also upon closer inspection (you can see in the pic), several of the tuck boxes came damaged. Rough luck.

After this experience I can safely say D&D customer service is excellent.  They are letting me keep the damaged decks and sending me two additional Mystery Decks.  They offered that or to send undamaged duplicates (so I would have had 4 reprint smokes, 2 ecos, 2 denims).  So, now I'll have two more mystery decks to report - and I can safely say I'll have gotten more than my money's worth now no matter what.  It would be funny if I landed the Jerry's now haha.

« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2013, 10:27:16 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

After this experience I can safely say D&D customer service is excellent.  They are letting me keep the damaged decks and sending me two additional Mystery Decks.  They offered that or to send undamaged duplicates (so I would have had 4 reprint smokes, 2 ecos, 2 denims).  So, now I'll have two more mystery decks to report - and I can safely say I'll have gotten more than my money's worth now no matter what.  It would be funny if I landed the Jerry's now haha.

Well that was a pretty decent offer by them, I'm impressed. Fingers crossed on your second chance offerings  :D

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
My one deck was a Fulton's October. I consider it breaking even. Nothing significant ventured, nothing significant gained.

« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2013, 11:19:08 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Ok, my curiosity is sufficently piqued. I'm in for a few. We'll see what shows up...

« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2013, 03:11:19 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover

Well that was a pretty decent offer by them, I'm impressed. Fingers crossed on your second chance offerings  :D

So the package with the 2 replacement mystery decks came much quicker than I expected...

Huh, this is peculiar, the two mystery decks have different colored paper and are wrapped differently.  That can't be right, no, they're definitely two completely different colors...

Fulton's Clip Joint duplicates, ruh roh.  One more chance at redemption...annnnd BOOM, Whispering Imps. I'll take it.

So with shipping and everything I paid a total of $64 and received 2 slightly damaged Smoke reprints, 1 slightly damaged Eco, 1 slightly damaged Denim (fortunately I have undamaged versions of the denim and Smokes already), 2 Fulton's Clip Joints (I opened 1 and wasn't a big fan of their handling - Whomp), Bruce Lee's (handle EXCEPTIONALLY, big fan, too bad they're one way backs), and Whispering Imps which I've wanted forever.

With their customer service I would consider this a success, the mystery is fun.  Will I allocate that much money towards this next year? Not at $10/deck.  Good luck to everyone who is still waiting and thank you to everyone who wished me luck :)

« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2013, 04:55:26 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Got my three in today.

Tahoe
Arrco
Archangels

Meh.

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2013, 06:55:09 PM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Had to chime in here. I decided to go for a brick, because I like gambling, apparently. It didn't turn out too shabby, but 3 October? Really? Maybe my 4 month old will enjoy them.

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2013, 08:07:32 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Had to chime in here. I decided to go for a brick, because I like gambling, apparently. It didn't turn out too shabby, but 3 October? Really? Maybe my 4 month old will enjoy them.
The Octobers are quite nice actually. Whats there to complain? You have 2 ultimates, a v6, a white lions, a mirror reprint, an old arrco and a tahoe.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 08:09:08 PM by Siegismyname »

« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2013, 08:38:11 PM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Oh I agree, the Octobers are nice. My statement was more of a personal gripe than a complaint, as I've already got a brick of them.....  ???

« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2013, 10:48:11 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
Oh I agree, the Octobers are nice. My statement was more of a personal gripe than a complaint, as I've already got a brick of them.....  ???

I'll trade you my duplicate Fulton's Clip Joint for a duplicate Ocotber haha;

« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2013, 02:07:06 PM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
"From our private reserve, we present to you Mystery Deck, a hand-wrapped deck of playing cards from a collection of rare, vintage, out of print, or otherwise valuable decks. "

Ok. So i know that for the mystery deck, you gamble, and you win some you lose some.

But one...no wait..2 New Erdnase 216 Green Bee Deck from CARC?  :mindf-ck: Falls into..rare? out of print category?

« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2013, 02:50:17 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
"From our private reserve, we present to you Mystery Deck, a hand-wrapped deck of playing cards from a collection of rare, vintage, out of print, or otherwise valuable decks. "

Ok. So i know that for the mystery deck, you gamble, and you win some you lose some.

But one...no wait..2 New Erdnase 216 Green Bee Deck from CARC?  :mindf-ck: Falls into..rare? out of print category?

They DID say "otherwise valuable" as well.  With valuable being a subjective term, anything can fly in under the radar.

« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2013, 05:52:57 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Got my three in today.

Tahoe
Arrco
Archangels

Meh.

Archangels is a big meh.
But are those Arrco's blue or black sealed?
Tahoe's not bad.

You did pretty good man. Those decks are really nice. Are they v6's or v7 rouge at the bottom there?
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »

Mr Rik

• Newcomer
Being new to collecting and being a sucker for the 'mystery' element I took a gamble on 3 decks which arrived today. 

I got two Republic 2 decks and an Arrco.

The Republic 2 is a nice deck - but it is not a deleted deck and is for sale on Ellusionist for $6.95 or thereabouts - and I guess D and D were probably given a brick or two as a gift by Ellusionist anyway so probably cost them nothing.

I kinda of knew Id get an Arrco as I got 2 the last time I bought mystery decks!!!

I was real hopeful I'd get something new for my collection - but I should have remembered that I too have little luck and no skill when it comes to any form of gambling, such as lotteries, raffles, betting shops, etc. 

Factoring international postage rates I feel a little robbed. On the plus side D and D kindly valued the contents of the package at $6 (not the $30 I spent) which meant that I did not have to pay any import duty on them (and with an £8 standing charge by the post office + the import duty at 20%  - this can be expensive) - otherwise I'd feel not only robbed but a little beaten up too!!!

I should have given my partner the money and told her to buy me some decks instead - I'd have maintained the 'mystery' element but wouldn't have felt robbed at the result!!!

« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2013, 03:12:32 PM »

atsquare

Being new to collecting and being a sucker for the 'mystery' element I took a gamble on 3 decks which arrived today. 

I got two Republic 2 decks and an Arrco.

The Republic 2 is a nice deck - but it is not a deleted deck and is for sale on Ellusionist for $6.95 or thereabouts - and I guess D and D were probably given a brick or two as a gift by Ellusionist anyway so probably cost them nothing.

I kinda of knew Id get an Arrco as I got 2 the last time I bought mystery decks!!!

I was real hopeful I'd get something new for my collection - but I should have remembered that I too have little luck and no skill when it comes to any form of gambling, such as lotteries, raffles, betting shops, etc. 

Factoring international postage rates I feel a little robbed. On the plus side D and D kindly valued the contents of the package at $6 (not the $30 I spent) which meant that I did not have to pay any import duty on them (and with an £8 standing charge by the post office + the import duty at 20%  - this can be expensive) - otherwise I'd feel not only robbed but a little beaten up too!!!

I should have given my partner the money and told her to buy me some decks instead - I'd have maintained the 'mystery' element but wouldn't have felt robbed at the result!!!

Bad luck I guess. I took a gamble as well seeing as they reduced the international shipping costs and from what I've read, I'm not expecting much. I'll be posting up what I receive when I get my package.