Author (Read 40066 times)

Re: Fontaine playing cards
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 10:19:29 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity
  • Joker and the Thief Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Update: This deck will have a custom Ace of Spades! I know, not the most surprising news in the world... :P
Joker and the Thief

Instagram.com/jokerandthethiefplayingcards

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 11:09:57 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Update: This deck will have a custom Ace of Spades! I know, not the most surprising news in the world... :P

"One o' these days, Alice, one o' these days...  POW, right in tha' kisser!"
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 11:20:06 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

"One o' these days, Alice, one o' these days...  POW, right in tha' kisser!"

Hahahaha
Joker and the Thief

Limited quantities of Joker and the Thief Playing Cards available now! http://amzn.com/B016T869S8

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 07:23:54 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

Ace of spades released today.

Along with this message:

"Fontaine Playing Cards are finally coming. Soon, after much anticipation, intrigue and mystery, every detail will be unveiled.

We begin that unveiling process with the custom Ace of Spades - simple, minimalistic and iconic. You are among the first to see it. Click the unlisted video link above to watch it in action.

Thank you for your support - I created this deck for myself, a deck of cards that I would want to use. It's amazing how many of you like it as much I do. More will be revealed in the weeks ahead. Stay tuned ;)"

Video here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiaIT4-YmJc&feature=youtu.be

Looks like sort of a fusion between the NOC and Virts deck to me.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 07:25:56 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 08:11:55 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
The AoS reminds me a lot of the NOC decks. It's simple, but seems a bit unoriginal.

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The AoS reminds me a lot of the NOC decks. It's simple, but seems a bit unoriginal.

Hey, sometimes simple is exactly what's called for.  It is a lot like the NOC and the Virts, when you factor in that quick glimpse of the back.

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 12:36:48 AM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular
I'm a little confused as to why any one would assume that its not going to be in co-op with T11? I understand the independent advertising, but couldn't that just be a way to get people wondering whats going to happen. I mean who's to say T11 isn't behind all the hype, given his employment. Not to mention the mass distribution reach T11 has, he would almost be stupid to not use that connection to reach a broader audience quicker. 5k you tube followers is impressive but its nothing compared to the reach of T11. i dunno, just my 2 cents.

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 10:14:26 AM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular
I'm a little confused as to why any one would assume that its not going to be in co-op with T11? I understand the independent advertising, but couldn't that just be a way to get people wondering whats going to happen. I mean who's to say T11 isn't behind all the hype, given his employment. Not to mention the mass distribution reach T11 has, he would almost be stupid to not use that connection to reach a broader audience quicker. 5k you tube followers is impressive but its nothing compared to the reach of T11. i dunno, just my 2 cents.

a little followup...i signed up for the email alerts and they come from zach@theory11.com so any doubt that T11 is behind this should probably be put to rest on that fact alone.

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 07:03:03 PM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Custom Jokers, revealed soon.
Joker and the Thief

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 09:27:43 PM »

PlayingKards

I can't find any pictures on the deck accept for the front page one. But judging from that it looks pretty cool.

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 11:43:30 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

a little followup...i signed up for the email alerts and they come from zach@theory11.com so any doubt that T11 is behind this should probably be put to rest on that fact alone.

I have an idea about this...

It's a T11 deck.  Instead of using the ad campaigns that got people ticked off with them (Monarchs, anyone?), they're promoting this deck on the down-low, using Zach as the conduit for disseminating information into the community.

It's kinda clever, when you think about it.  All Zach is doing is playing with the deck, and gradually revealing certain aspects of it.  No goofy imagery or objects in shadow or out of focus - just a dude with some cards.

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2013, 12:32:27 AM »

Joker and the Thief

• Discourse Deity

• Facebook:

• YouTube:

It's a T11 deck.  Instead of using the ad campaigns that got people ticked off with them (Monarchs, anyone?), they're promoting this deck on the down-low, using Zach as the conduit for disseminating information into the community.

It's kinda clever, when you think about it.  All Zach is doing is playing with the deck, and gradually revealing certain aspects of it.  No goofy imagery or objects in shadow or out of focus - just a dude with some cards.

Very good points. Its a different type of hype up and its kind of designed to seem as though theory11 has nothing to do with it. It's not as if some of the other theory11 staff haven't seen the deck in person. I've seen Michael James flourish with them and I would presume Christen Gerhart Would have used them as well considering them meeting up every week for exposé.
Joker and the Thief

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2013, 01:05:46 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Very good points. Its a different type of hype up and its kind of designed to seem as though theory11 has nothing to do with it. It's not as if some of the other theory11 staff haven't seen the deck in person. I've seen Michael James flourish with them and I would presume Christen Gerhart Would have used them as well considering them meeting up every week for exposé.

They could practically deny the "hype" if they wanted to!  But seriously, using a person with a face that's known in the community is smart - they're trying to make the roll-out more personal in feel, and the hype builds among us talking about stuff like this rather than from anything they're doing directly.  It's more at a low simmer than full boil.

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2013, 05:21:21 PM »

S.C.

• Forum Regular

They could practically deny the "hype" if they wanted to!  But seriously, using a person with a face that's known in the community is smart - they're trying to make the roll-out more personal in feel, and the hype builds among us talking about stuff like this rather than from anything they're doing directly.  It's more at a low simmer than full boil.

agreed on all accounts. the more we wonder about it the more we talk and the more we talk the more we want. its actually extremely clever if you ask me...by making it almost seem like an interdependent release it only adds to the hype.

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2013, 02:57:30 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
I'll be honest. As much as I like "super fancy" backs (as in those that take up the whole thing and super detailed in design), a simple designed back, and usually deck as well, is a welcome. The NOC deck was nice in it's simplicity and if this deck can pull off simple yet elegant or sleek then it would be amazing. Looking forward to the joker reveals soon!
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 11:37:41 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
Jokers revealed in an email that I received from signing up for updates today:

"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2013, 02:00:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Those are probably the plainest jokers I've ever seen.  That's not necessarily bad, but still...  Plain...

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2013, 02:03:17 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

Those are probably the plainest jokers I've ever seen.  That's not necessarily bad, but still...  Plain...

The J of the Jokers and F for Fontaine is reminiscent of the font for the J of the Jokers in the Jaqk decks. Unfortunately, the Jaqk jokers were much more "detailed" (quotes are only there cause they weren't heavily detailed) than these jokers. I think it definitely fits with the whole simplistic style this deck is going for.

But I will say though that the NOC jokers have a fighting chance at having one of the plainest jokers, if not the plainest, as well.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:04:43 AM by Michael »

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2013, 02:10:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

The J of the Jokers and F for Fontaine is reminiscent of the font for the J of the Jokers in the Jaqk decks. Unfortunately, the Jaqk jokers were much more "detailed" (quotes are only there cause they weren't heavily detailed) than these jokers. I think it definitely fits with the whole simplistic style this deck is going for.

But I will say though that the NOC jokers have a fighting chance at having one of the plainest jokers, if not the plainest, as well.

Well, damn near everything about the NOCs are plain!  :))  Still, this is pretty plain.  But it's a joker, so who cares, right?

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2013, 02:15:36 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty

Well, damn near everything about the NOCs are plain!  :))  Still, this is pretty plain.  But it's a joker, so who cares, right?

And honestly, that's what I love about the NOCs! :D and yeah I mean jokers are the cards usually forgotten about but hey, wouldn't hurt to have an attractive one ;) but it seems this joker design could've worked well as an ad card or something... Oh well! I'm not a deck designer so what do I know :P

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2013, 10:27:06 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Eeeesh. There's a line between "minimalist" and "boring". I think this deck definitely had the potential to make some pretty neat jokers that weren't too complex or silly. But really? Just a red block and some text? I dunno...
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2013, 08:55:04 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I agree, the jokers are pretty damn boring.

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2013, 09:04:56 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
this whole deck is completely underwhelming

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2013, 09:09:13 AM »

DrianAbara

• Forum Regular
this whole deck is completely underwhelming
I completely agree. What I cannot possibly fathom are all the fanboys in the comments section who are like 'OMGMGMGG I NEEDZ TO BUY A GAZEELION OF DEEZ DECKZ DEY R SO AMAZIN'
It makes me sad :(
Love is magic

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2013, 09:50:11 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I understand the desire to do a minimalistic deck design, but when the final package is so very close to many decks that have been done already, why bother? This is basically the NOC with the addition of a single logo. The borders are thin, but because they are just plain straight edges, the overall effect when fanned will be no different than any number of other decks out there. The faces are standard, so you get nothing new there. The AoS is clean, but not inspiring or worth any additional study. The Jokers are basically ad cards.

There's nothing wrong about the deck, but there really isn't much right about it either, if you know what I mean.

I think (well, actually I KNOW ;) ) there are ways to combine a simple visual look with detail and interest at the same time. It just takes a little more effort and thought...
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out