• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
how are they sold out already????

Preorders will begin soon. :)  They are sold out because I don't have any yet!
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

Re: NEW DECK -- Aurum from Encarded
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2012, 08:39:41 AM »

Utterfool

• Elite Member
  • " I have nothing to declare except my folly"

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• last.fm:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:
I hear you, and can see why you'd think that. However, I'd argue that these are actually quite different scenarios.

What you are talking about (and what I still don't like) is when a company designs a deck, sells it out, and then decides to do a new version. In most cases, this new version requires no actual work by the designer. They spec a new ink color, and USPC already has all the art. It's done, easy as that. That is a decision to simply extend a deck and drive collectors to want "all the versions" by doing no actual work.

With Aurum, it is quite different. There will still only be 5,000 of them. A very tiny portion will be special, and each one of those special editions required me to do box designs, negotiate for excessively expensive custom papers, go back and forth for weeks on how to actually accomplish things in a way that could be produced, design, test, redesign, test and redesign again. Yes, the cards are the same but these special versions are the "dream" deck. I wanted all of them to have the design of the laser cuts. That was unfortunately impossible, so I got as many of those made as I reasonably could. The mid-level deck has the amazing box stock, but again was very costly so I decided to do the portion I could. The purple deck has all the features but had to scale back to normal stock.

I did not want to give up on the "dream" version, so I made what I could. I think they will be amazing both in rarity and look. My prototype, sitting on the shelf in the sun, is (IMO) a beautiful object. Less a deck of cards and more an intricate small-scale sculpture. And my prototype does not even feature the gold foil, metallic inks and embossing. In a perfect world, there would be 5,000 of those for everyone to enjoy, but I'd have to mortgage my house to create that and it would still cost too much for most people. So, special versions are the result.

I hope that gives a little perspective. With unlimited funds, Aurum would be a different thing. But instead of simply giving up, I thought it best to bring at least a few into existence so a few more people could see the ultimate vision.

I would have preferred a pre-order where you make the decks to suite the audience that wants them. If this is truthfully a deck box design you wished everyone could have you should have done it that way, the people who wanted it would wait for it to get made to order. You have the people pay up front so that way you don't have to mortgage the house and everyone who wants one of those unbelievable decks will get one. The value will still be good on the deck, but people who want them will actually get them, instead of the re-sellers with fast connections.
I would love one of the laser cut decks and am quite willing to pay the asking price, but I already know even at that asking price I have absolutely no chance in getting one. Yet at the same time I can name at least 3 Ebay sellers who will have them available hours after you sell out at 2 to 3 times that price.

« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2012, 09:19:41 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

I would have preferred a pre-order where you make the decks to suite the audience that wants them. If this is truthfully a deck box design you wished everyone could have you should have done it that way, the people who wanted it would wait for it to get made to order. You have the people pay up front so that way you don't have to mortgage the house and everyone who wants one of those unbelievable decks will get one. The value will still be good on the deck, but people who want them will actually get them, instead of the re-sellers with fast connections.

I would love one of the laser cut decks and am quite willing to pay the asking price, but I already know even at that asking price I have absolutely no chance in getting one. Yet at the same time I can name at least 3 Ebay sellers who will have them available hours after you sell out at 2 to 3 times that price.

The "problem" with my design is that it is simply impractical to make at larger scales. So, we had to make smaller numbers, and in that case I thought it best to set a number. Since they will, by definition become a rare thing, having it known to all precisely how many there are and letting everyone get them at the same time seemed best to me. Doing things 'made to order' can quickly become difficult when you are a one-man shop and have a thousand other orders. :)

As to the chances of getting one, you can never tell with these things but it will probably be tricky. However, I'm doing what I can to make sure it's fair. I'll release them into the store in a few batches at different times, and if those do sell out immediately I will have a drawing for the remainder. I'm also going to auction one off for charity. Finally, I am limiting how many you can buy to avoid a reseller swooping in, buying 10 and immediately eBaying them. That drives me nuts too.

Not perfect, I admit, but I hope that's better than what other folks have tried. At any rate, I do greatly appreciate the interest in my creations and hope people get what they want. :)
Paul Carpenter

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2012, 11:06:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

In theory, that's a great idea, but in practice it can be a problem, assuming he even could make the fancier boxes in volume and at an acceptable pace so he's not still making decks into 2014 or something.  The problem - if not enough buyers want to buy the deck at the higher price, he can't make it and is forced to downgrade the product just to get it sold.  His solution is fine - so what if you don't get the pretty box?  All three tuck boxes have the exact same cards in them.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2012, 01:59:37 PM »

sway

• Forum Regular
I noticed that Paul has been very meticulous about the release of Aurum. This is a hell of a nice deck, man. Congrats!

The one thing I didn't get and think can probably become an issue in the future is: why put the mid-level deck into the Lucite Display Cases?.

« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2012, 02:22:14 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I noticed that Paul has been very meticulous about the release of Aurum. This is a hell of a nice deck, man. Congrats!

The one thing I didn't get and think can probably become an issue in the future is: why put the mid-level deck into the Lucite Display Cases?.

In what way would that be an issue?

Top-shelf deck: a display in its own way, delicate, probably not something you want to squish into a plastic case.

Mid-range deck: very nice, attractive, desirable.

Economy deck: perfectly fine, the box isn't as fancy but it's still attractive in its own right.

He chose the deck that wasn't a display of its own, and was the next step down in box quality/price.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2012, 03:10:27 PM »

sway

• Forum Regular
Top-shelf deck: a display in its own way, delicate, probably not something you want to squish into a plastic case.

(...)

He chose the deck that wasn't a display of its own, and was the next step down in box quality/price.

Ok, thinking about the top-tier deck as a "display on its own" makes the option for the mid-level deck more plausible.

Still, it's odd that the rarest edition isn't the one featured into the display cases. Specially when you consider the difference in price and rarity between those two versions of Aurum.

« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2012, 09:56:39 PM »

jhayel84

• True Member
I find this odd too but encarded has some valid reasons why he decided to do this.

Personally I cant justify to spend $179 for the laser cut edition even though I can afford it unless if I stare too long on looking the images of it on the website then it might grow on me and It might just change my mind. =D

Remember if you cannot afford it dont buy it. If you are confused whether to get it or not, dont because you might just regret it later.

« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2012, 10:26:37 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
I definitely can't justify getting either the lucite case or the laser-cut deck. Might get a White Gold edition though if I'm able to. Definitely looking forward to these cards though. I loved the Tendril design and these look awesome as well.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:30:40 PM by sr15 »

« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2012, 10:45:20 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
That was something I pondered for quite a while. With just a few dozen of the laser cuts available, I wanted those to be consistent I guess. By having some in the display, and some not, I thought that would be odd for the collector. I also felt that the cost of that item would be far too high (since some folks find the separate costs too high already :) )

In the end, it's just one of those things that I had to decide, and since I have no committee telling me what to do, I just go for what I think is best.

Oh, I also announced the official preorder. Next Friday, November 2nd, 11am EST. Details here. http://encarded.com/preorder/

Thanks everyone, looking forward to getting you this one!
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2012, 01:33:57 PM »

billysac

« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2012, 02:49:21 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/encarded/aurum-custom-playing-cards-from-encarded

Very sneaky!
Thanks for posting that billysac.  Almost missed out.  14 left after I grabbed one!
- Adam

« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2012, 02:50:59 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I grabbed one about an hour ago. I really like this idea, Paul!

« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2012, 02:56:39 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

Thank my marketing-whiz wife for that one.  ;)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2012, 03:17:41 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty

Thank my marketing-whiz wife for that one.  ;)
Thank you Mrs. Carpenter!!
- Adam

« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2012, 04:38:45 PM »

Cardist888

so the release is on November 2 11am. Darn thats not the best time for me i have school  :(
can you do something about it? probably not but pleasehelp

On the other hand this deck is a true collectors item and is an amazing deck tired of black and white decks  :)

« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2012, 04:44:44 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I totally understand. As the person releasing the products it's really hard to decide on a time that works for every person across the entire world. 11am seems to hit the most people being awake at a reasonable time of day in the US all the way over to Asia. I won't be able to change the time, but I would honestly be flabbergasted if they sold out before you got home from school.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2012, 05:12:02 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

Hey Paul,

I love your tagline! Very topical for all of the 1-Color Black Decks that seem to be coming out lately.

"Black and white decks are for peasants. Play with Royalty."

thanks, Randy

« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2012, 06:56:19 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Love it Paul,

I managed to snag a deck as well earlier today. It's the first deck I have purchased in a while. Since I do not own any of your decks, I sort of felt obligated to add it to the collection. Looks great!

« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2012, 07:30:07 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Haven't been around in a while, congratulations on selling out on your decks, but $175? Really?  It appears that a greater gap between myself and collecting new designs has grown, because I really just don't get excited about any new releases anymore. Even one that appears to have a great following as this deck... Again, good luck, but all the hype to me is just over the top and I have other things to spend my hard earned $ on these days...

« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2012, 08:46:45 PM »

billysac

Again, good luck, but all the hype to me is just over the top and I have other things to spend my hard earned $ on these days...

Would that include lap dances and boxes of zebra cakes?

« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2012, 10:29:57 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
well I really wish I would have seen that kickstarter link earlier. Guess I will have to wait. Though I wont be able to order right when he starts so hopefully the white ones are still available to pre-order when I get home from work that day.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2012, 07:16:45 AM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
Haven't been around in a while, congratulations on selling out on your decks, but $175? Really?  It appears that a greater gap between myself and collecting new designs has grown, because I really just don't get excited about any new releases anymore. Even one that appears to have a great following as this deck... Again, good luck, but all the hype to me is just over the top and I have other things to spend my hard earned $ on these days...

it's 175 for one really rare version of the deck. the regular decks go for like 11-12 bucks so it's not like it's that much more expensive than any custom deck coming out these days. The decks themselves look awesome and definitely deserve the hype imo, even though I most likely won't be buying any of the special editions.

« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2012, 11:29:22 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I got a few final production Aurum uncut sheets today. USPCC did a great job, and these cards are pretty crazy. It's impossible to capture the full effect in a photo, they are very much a "jewel" and unlike any card I have, or have seen. I think you all will be quite pleased when you get to see them with your own eyes.
Paul Carpenter